Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supporting craft breweries

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,911 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Fresh supermarket in Smithfield have craft beer (not sure about cold though)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,730 ✭✭✭hynesie08

They have a fridge,

could always dip into brew dock if they still have a GBB takeout fridge?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

• Registered Users Posts: 24,911 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Depends on how much time @irish_goat has. Neither are that close to a Luas if you are trying to maximise time.

I was in Stoneybatter properly for the first time last week and I do understand why it would be a very interesting place to be if you were a Dublin resident I wouldn't recommend it for a "tourist" like myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭JayRoc

In terms of being near the Luas and the least out of your way, Brew Dock would probably be your best bet.

They have a fairly well-stocked fridge but you may need to pay bar prices...last time I was there I didn't notice a takeaway fridge but I'm open to correction

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 68,030 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Brew Dock do have takeout of GBB cans, cold

• Registered Users Posts: 9,730 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Just walked by brew dock, fridge of GBB cans for takeaway, core range is cheap enough, seasonals a little pricier.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Underdog is a bit over 5 minutes from Jervis Luas, so getting off at Smithfield for Fidelity would be handier for the Luas, I think - but I'm not sure if Fidelity has a fridge for can sales. Brewdog is directly adjacent to the Luas, so probably best bet.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Cheers for the replies. Had been thinking Brewdock for a pint but they never used to do takeaway cans (unless you paid full bar price). Good to hear there's a takeaway fridge now.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭toffeeshel

SuperValu in Heuston Quarter have a good selection and you wouldn’t be confined to Galway Bay beers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

Any idea who's brewing the Happy Pear's new non-alcoholic beers?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,265 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Brewdock sells cans (unopened) from the fridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

CraftCentral.ie have opened pre-orders for their advent boxes. The premium option is €200, so an average of €8.33 per can (excl shipping). I don't recall the pricing from years prior, but that seems saucy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,868 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Jasus that seems very excessive. Think I'll stick to the pub at them prices!

The "standard" box is €145, so just over €6 per can. Again, still seems excessive.

I've never picked up one of these advent boxes - just don't love the idea of taking a punt on 24 random beers with such a large capital outlay.

Ya, it's a bit of a gamble but I like the suspense of not knowing the next beer! I've bought the advent box from Molloys for the last two years, which was €120. So a fiver a can which I can live with. Found some good beers too, which I would not have otherwise bought myself

• Registered Users Posts: 7,998 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Premium box is going to be mostly US beers that they haven't shifted I'd say. Didn't get any box last year but might give it a go this year. Will see if To Ol or Mikkeler are doing something that we can get into Ireland without getting stung by customs

• Registered Users Posts: 34,274 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Don't recall ever seeing an advent box in my local Molloys - online order only maybe? Not really the sort of thing you'd see in a shop and buy on a whim... at a fiver or so per can I think I'd pass though!

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Ya online only I'd say. Never noticed anything in store.

Agree that it's pricey but I don't mind stretching to a fiver for the novelty of it.

I see Yards&Crafts are shutting down, sad to see them go. Handy for me as I often collected orders when I didn't want to wait for delivery. Wonder was it a margins issue or just not worth effort while also running a bar and cafe alongside it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Tinter Box

I have to be honest, I’ve got very used to ordering beers from the breweries direct. You are getting it fresh and a lot are throwing in discounts, free delivery etc. it’s one of the few positive things post pandemic. ( Along with being able to WFH on scheduled delivery days😁).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

What breweries do you order from, or recommend in this vein, out of curiosity?

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Tinter Box

Rascals, White Hag , Whiplash for starters. Go on their mailing lists as well.

Thanks. Familliar with ordering from 2 out of 3 there, I just wondered if I was missing a trick with some others.

There are breweries I see around these days, like Brewmaster Beers and Dublin Brewing Co., and I actually can't tell if they're good breweries worth trying or if they're just marketing / beering brewed by someone else / owned by a macro. I picked those two at random, just indicating I've more or less completely lost touch with who's 'good' in the beer scene these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭JoeLapira

Neither owned by a macro, but Dublin Brewing Co were contract brewed in Brewmaster last time I was there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

A nice selection of new beers in Aldi at the weekend. Well, beers I'd not seen before in my local Aldi anyway

Dot Brew had 3, an Oak Red Ale, Cryo Pop IPA and Kveik Pale

The Oak Red is fairly average, I actually expected it to be a good bit more hoppier than it turned out to be, but that's on me I suppose. The Oak didn't bring much to the party. I enjoyed the Cryo Pop, although it was a bit minerally on the finish. I didn't try the Kveik one yet.

Lough Gill had three also, a Festbier style lager in a blue can, an APA 4.6% in a red/orange can (called Back Pack) and a "Gluten Free" IPA 4.2% in a green can (called Body Board). I haven't sampled any of those ones yet.

Whitewater Hoppelhammer IPA 6% (Triple Hopped!!), I didn't try that one either, and I'm not sure it's new to the Aldi range.

Brewdog also have an Oktoberfest beer there.

I have had most but not all of these. The Brewdog was the nicest so far, albeit it doesn't hit the same price point.

Obviously Lough Gill & DOT had to cut corners to meet the price point Aldi might demand, and it shows.

The Whitewater IPA was just meh for me.

I picked all these up at the weekend too. Tried the Lough Gill beers, the festbier wasn't great but I'm not usually a fan of that style to start with. The other 2 were fairly similar and nice enough. The Brewdog lager was nice too but not sure what the relevance to Octoberfest was, just a run of the mill lager/pilsner really. Will try the rest next weekend but I'm quite happy with the value for money and relatively interesting selection available in Aldi

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

What kind of corners does a brewer cut to make it cheaper?

• Advertisement

Just on Hoppelhammer... It's been several years since I had it, but my recollection is that despite the name and whatnot, it's not actually particularly hoppy by modern standards.

Advertisement