Advertisement
We've partnered up with Nixers.com to offer a space where you can talk directly to Peter from Nixers.com and get an exclusive Boards.ie discount code for a free job listing. If you are recruiting or know anyone else who is please check out the forum here.
If you have a new account but can't post, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help to verify your email address. Thanks :)

VRT appeals valuation nonsense

2»

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 72,622 ✭✭✭✭ colm_mcm


    newmember? wrote: »
    Apologies, I'm a little slow...why is revenue's OMSP more than the actual retail price?

    In the case of the Audi?


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭ heroics


    colm_mcm wrote: »
    In the case of the Audi?

    Yes in the screenshot above the revenue OMSP is 12k higher than Audi price


  • Registered Users Posts: 72,622 ✭✭✭✭ colm_mcm


    Error I guess. Keep in mind it isn’t exactly the same car, it’s a UK model with the same description but would have a different revenue stat code, so while there may be a stat code for the Irish version, it probably wouldn’t be the same stat code as the uk one.


  • Registered Users Posts: 21 ✭✭✭ nebkat


    Relatively good news in the end, they've determined the OMSP should be €27,300 so a refund of €3,100 :). Dealer valuations were €25,000 and €26,000, and other ads would suggest its less, so I will still be going to Tax Appeals Commission with the hope of getting another few hundred back. If they'd made the offer after my original letter I might've accepted it, but now I have solid proof to push for more.
    colm_mcm wrote: »
    Error I guess. Keep in mind it isn’t exactly the same car, it’s a UK model with the same description but would have a different revenue stat code, so while there may be a stat code for the Irish version, it probably wouldn’t be the same stat code as the uk one.

    It's an error for sure, but there is no UK/IE thing here as the model was available in both, and the optional extras are only accounted for in the first 3 years. Revenue stat code just identifies the specific make/model, and if the codes differ then there probably is a real difference between the cars.

    The main source of confusion with stat codes is that they don't group cars by generation on the calculator. It should really be Audi -> A6 -> Estate -> C7 (2015-2018) -> 3.0TDI -> 8 variants ?..., but instead its Audi -> A6 3.0 TDI -> Automatic -> 5DR -> Diesel -> Estate -> 2967cc -> 20 variants across 3 generations with many missing. Does the average consumer know the difference between these (Passat 2.0 TDI)?
    cfaFm62.png
    They have all this information available to them because they determine valuations for VRT when the cars are new, so they know when a new generation has been released, but I'm convinced it's all a part of the big scam. Incredibly easy to say VRT calculator is just an estimate, car must be inspected to get an actual valuation (from the same calculator!), and you must pay before you can appeal the VRT --- oh you got the stat code wrong? Unlucky...


  • Registered Users Posts: 21 ✭✭✭ nebkat


    A final update on this: After making a second stage appeal to Tax Appeals Commission I eventually got a letter from Revenue with OMSP revised from €27,300 to €23,311, which was based on price I paid for the car in sterling, and even lower than some of the dealer valuations I gave them! :D

    To anyone buying a car, don't be afraid of the VRT appeals process - it's a bit of time and effort but if you have proof that your car is cheaper they'll have to accept it one way or another. Just be ready to part with your money for a couple of months.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭ Tiger72


    :)


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭ rabbitinlights


    What was the online VRT quote you saw in December when importing it?


  • Registered Users Posts: 21 ✭✭✭ nebkat


    €43,579 OMSP @ 19% CO2 rate = €8,280 VRT back in December, which is what they charged me in January. I assumed they would actually inspect the car in the NCT centre because of the disclaimer that the calculator only gives estimates. Latest valuation from them today is 47% lower than their original.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭ FGR


    nebkat wrote: »
    €43,579 OMSP @ 19% CO2 rate = €8,280 VRT back in December, which is what they charged me in January. I assumed they would actually inspect the car in the NCT centre because of the disclaimer that the calculator only gives estimates. Latest valuation from them today is 47% lower than their original.

    Well done Nebkat! On a side note how went the engine repair? - hopefully rectified for a far more reasonable sum than Audi had been quoting!


  • Registered Users Posts: 21 ✭✭✭ nebkat


    FGR wrote: »
    Well done Nebkat! On a side note how went the engine repair? - hopefully rectified for a far more reasonable sum than Audi had been quoting!
    Currently being repaired in an independent Audi specialist and have been told it'll be around €2k for the job! Unfortunately I dropped it in right before the lockdown and Audi decided to close their parts division, so still waiting for them to open up again on Monday for it to be completed. They keep finding ways to disappoint me...


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭ finalfurlong


    nebkat wrote: »
    Currently being repaired in an independent Audi specialist and have been told it'll be around €2k for the job! Unfortunately I dropped it in right before the lockdown and Audi decided to close their parts division, so still waiting for them to open up again on Monday for it to be completed. They keep finding ways to disappoint me...

    Fair play,nebkat,just wondering how many people down the years gave up in face of that stonewalling and red tape from Revenue?Good luck with audi-you deserve it!


  • Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭ brucky


    Who was the dealer, motor trader you got the valuation off?


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭ 2 Wheels Good


    Mintoe wrote: »
    Not much use now and easy to say in hindsight but I doubt you’d have any issues if you’d have bought from 1 of the many reputable independent Irish dealers that have been importing good quality used cars from uk for many years that would have given you warranty....... but maybe the relatively small amount extra that you would have paid wasn’t worth it so you decided to buy direct from uk yourself and unfortunately you bought a lemon(ref engine issue)........ also you wouldn’t have to deal with the pain that is revenue..... difficult lesson learned and other buyers who are thinking of going direct to uk take note
    Sorry, that statement is rubbish. Sometimes you can't get a car even remotely like the one you're looking for here, I don't want a diesel and 95% of the cars I've been looking at here are high mileage diesel (BMW 1 Series) I've been looking all year and not one suitable car has come up.
    If car brands sold cars here with the same spec as UK cars maybe so many wouldn't be going over shopping.


  • Registered Users Posts: 12,590 ✭✭✭✭ R.O.R


    If car brands sold cars here with the same spec as UK cars maybe so many wouldn't be going over shopping.

    Do you know what the difference is in standard specification between a UK BMW and and Irish BMW is?


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭ Isambard


    R.O.R wrote: »
    Do you know what the difference is in standard specification between a UK BMW and and Irish BMW is?

    i think the differnce is VRT. To keep the price of Irish cars down as much as possible, the spec was often much lower than UK cars. Used to be the case anyway,.


  • Registered Users Posts: 12,590 ✭✭✭✭ R.O.R


    Isambard wrote: »
    i think the differnce is VRT. To keep the price of Irish cars down as much as possible, the spec was often much lower than UK cars. Used to be the case anyway,.

    Since BMW took over distribution from Frank Keane (2007 apparently) the standard specification of an Irish BMW and a UK BMW differs by 1 item - KM/h clocks.


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭ Isambard


    R.O.R wrote: »
    Since BMW took over distribution from Frank Keane (2007 apparently) the standard specification of an Irish BMW and a UK BMW differs by 1 item - KM/h clocks.

    fair play to them!


  • Registered Users Posts: 23,704 ✭✭✭✭ L-M


    Vw have been higher spec really across the board in Ireland for the last few years too.


  • Registered Users Posts: 72,622 ✭✭✭✭ colm_mcm


    R.O.R wrote: »
    Since BMW took over distribution from Frank Keane (2007 apparently) the standard specification of an Irish BMW and a UK BMW differs by 1 item - KM/h clocks.

    Something, something, Paddy doesn’t like extras blah


Advertisement