Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Practicalities concerning optional activities

Options
  • 19-03-2020 9:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭

I arrived back in Ireland last night from abroad and as such have been asked to restrict my movements for two weeks.

I'm happy to comply of course, but I have no food in my house and no one I could ask to drop it in (no family nearby, or friends with cars). My nearest Tesco says they can't deliver to me for over a week.

There is a small supermarket approximately 200 metres from my house - a local Spar. I don't see another option other than to go down there and stock up for the duration?

It'll take me about 10 minutes and I won't have an extended interaction with anyone. Is this allowed for under the term 'restricted movement'.

I did not come from a high-risk country, just for context, and used hand sanitizer every hour or so on the plane as well as handwashing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,508 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Nope.
    Call the hse helpline or even your local Garda station and you should be sorted out.

Don’t be going out in the general public, you’ve specifically been told not to.

Maybe try here

https://covidcommunityresponse.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭paddythere

If you need food then you have to go but adhere to the usual sanitary precautions. Maybe try going at 7 am to avoid people as much as is possible.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Lots of people all over the country who will help out.
    See https://randall.ie/help/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭deathbomber

KiKi III wrote: »
    I arrived back in Ireland last night from abroad and as such have been asked to restrict my movements for two weeks.

I'm happy to comply of course, but I have no food in my house and no one I could ask to drop it in (no family nearby, or friends with cars). My nearest Tesco says they can't deliver to me for over a week.

There is a small supermarket approximately 200 metres from my house - a local Spar. I don't see another option other than to go down there and stock up for the duration?

It'll take me about 10 minutes and I won't have an extended interaction with anyone. Is this allowed for under the term 'restricted movement'.

I did not come from a high-risk country, just for context, and used hand sanitizer every hour or so on the plane as well as handwashing.

online shopping if possible, technically you should not go. Call the helpline, only go if a last resort

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

Phone the supermarket, place your order over the phone, pay by card, ask them to drop it off, no interaction,

You should not go out, it's not for your safety, it's for others, be responsible

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

_Brian wrote: »
    Nope.
    Call the hse helpline or even your local Garda station and you should be sorted out.

Don’t be going out in the general public, you’ve specifically been told not to.

Maybe try here

https://covidcommunityresponse.ie/

But does "restricted movement" actually mean "don't go outside at all" or does it mean "no unnecessary trips outside"? That's what I'm confused about.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,508 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Are you in self isolation or restricted movements.

If the latter that’s different.

My understanding is people are being asked to self isolate when returning from abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭This is it

As above, plenty of people who will help, there's no need for you to go anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

Its quite clear the guidelines for restricted movement:
    • Do not go to school, college or work.
    • Do not use public transport.
    • Do not go to meetings, social gatherings, group events or crowded places.
    • Do not have visitors at your home.
    • Do not go shopping - where possible, order your groceries online or have some family or friends drop them off.
    • Keep away from older people, anyone with long-term medical conditions and pregnant women.
    • Do not travel outside or within Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,887 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

The advice is pretty clear OP

Do not go shopping - where possible, order your groceries online or have some family or friends drop them off.

https://www2.hse.ie/conditions/coronavirus/self-isolation-and-limited-social-interaction.html

can you get anyone at all to do this for you?

• Advertisement

_Brian wrote: »
    Are you in self isolation or restricted movements.

If the latter that’s different.

My understanding is people are being asked to self isolate when returning from abroad.

No, it's "restricted movement" for someone like myself who did not come from a high-risk area and has no symptoms.

To me, the guidelines are a little ambiguous. They say "where possible" order groceries online etc. They don't say what to do if that's not possible?

H8GHOTI wrote: »
    “Restrict my movements” is not the same as self isolate. I don’t see the problem in nipping down to the shop. If you have arrived from a country that isn’t listed as high risk and you have no symptoms, you’re about as likely to have the virus as anyone else who has been mixing with people at work etc. in this country.

Just keep your distance from people and as you say you’ll only be 10 minutes.

Really?

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

No, it's "restricted movement" for someone like myself who did not come from a high-risk area and has no symptoms.

To me, the guidelines are a little ambiguous. They say "where possible" order groceries online etc. They don't say what to do if that's not possible?

Not possible, or not convenient? Ring your local shop. Give them your order. Pay over the phone, and get it delivered. Safe for you, safer for your community. Where are you based?

There are plenty of local community groups who are advertising on facebook to support people like you. I have 3 or 4 in my village, most GAA clubs also have volunteers for these activities. There will be something, aslo ring the shop. I would be surprised if they would not deliver as its 200m away.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Pistachios & cream

Where possible means if you absolutely have to then you can. However this should only be done after you have exhausted all other means. OP you have been given plenty of links to community help though it might take a couple of hours. If you have absolutely nothing then ring the spar and explain your situation, I’m sure they will help.

MarkR wrote: »
    Not possible, or not convenient? Ring your local shop. Give them your order. Pay over the phone, and get it delivered. Safe for you, safer for your community. Where are you based?

The only shop in my community that delivers is Tesco and they say the soonest they can deliver is March 29.

Where possible means if you absolutely have to then you can. However this should only be done after you have exhausted all other means. OP you have been given plenty of links to community help though it might take a couple of hours. If you have absolutely nothing then ring the spar and explain your situation, I’m sure they will help.

I'm looking into all options for getting it delivered as a first port of call.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Did you look at the link? The country is covered with people offering to help.

https://randall.ie/help/

spurious wrote: »
    Did you look at the link? The country is covered with people offering to help.

https://randall.ie/help/

I did. I'll get in touch with them as a last resort.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

krissovo wrote: »
    Really?

I was typing that before the other posts appeared. I deleted it then. That advice changed since I last read it.

If they can ring ahead, pay over the phone etc.. great. They already tried Tesco and have to wait a week. If this Spar can’t deliver, I really don’t see the problem in going to get food.

Are the volunteers that are out about shopping for everyone a lower risk than the OP?

If the OP has no symptoms, keeps their distance from everyone and the contact is less than 15 minutes then I think it should be ok.

And the official guidelines say “where possible”.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

lazeedaisy wrote: »
    You should not go out, it's not for your safety, it's for others, be responsible
    I'd say they are being already. Many, if not most, wouldn't even ask the question and just go to the shops.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Why as a last resort? People are offering help, why would you not take them up on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Don't be the "sure, it'll only take two minutes" guy.
    Be the "I care about others" guy.

Self isolation is tough enough without worrying about food. Would you contact some of the links suggested Kiki? It would be better than going outside. There are lots of people and organisations who can help because there are many people in your position.

I'd go anyway,if it was me

No point in being hungry....your not exactly planning on going hugging ould wans down the shop (i hope)

Every shop has the 6ft rule and barriers up at this stage...bit of commonsense wouldnt go amiss either

They even allow people in italy out to buy food

• Registered Users Posts: 28,916 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

But if he/she doesn't have to, then why do it.

People need to change their mindset from "why can't I?" to "why would I?"

And fairly sharpish.

I'd go anyway,if it was me

No point in being hungry....your not exactly planning on going hugging ould wans down the shop (i hope)

Every shop has the 6ft rule and barriers up at this stage...bit of commonsense wouldnt go amiss either

They even allow people in italy out to buy food

There are lots of people who can help. There is no need for anyone who has to self isolate to go to the shop.

Look at this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

There are so many volunteers available. Honestly. The web and radio programmes have been inundated with offers in recent days.
    Find a shop to take the order and pay over the phone. You'll have no trouble getting a generous citizen to collect and drop it outside your door.
    SuperValu and Centra were advertising, or you local corner shop.

BTW Well done for being so conscientious. I've seen too many people being blasé with the social-distancing advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

Hey there,
    Are you in/close to Dublin? If so I can do a shop for you tomorrow and drop it off at your door?
    (if you're further out I'm sure somebody else here will be so kind as to offer?)

https://www.tesco.ie/clickandcollect/ could be an option but if not I can do it.

Somebody suggested the Garda, I think this is a nice easy one that people here on boards can sort out. No need to be wasting a Garda car on something like this.

Advertisement