Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a smart trainer

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

MeheeHohee wrote: »
    Cheers , they were sold out when I looked on Monday, but yeah back in stock now. Does it come with an european plug or an Irish plug?

Comes with both from what I remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

MeheeHohee wrote: »
    Cheers , they were sold out when I looked on Monday, but yeah back in stock now. Does it come with an european plug or an Irish plug?
    DaveyDave wrote: »
    Comes with both from what I remember.

My SNAP came with UK, EU, Australian AND US. Full box of kettle leads.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9 ReahKelly

Wahoo has always had an even lower-priced option. So, Wahoo Kickr Core is an excellent turbo that will give you the full smart trainer experience for a competitive price. Best of Luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Kamu

Anyone use the Jetblack Volt? only trainer that seems to be in stock that rivals the Wahoo Core.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,118 ✭✭✭nilhg

Kamu wrote: »
    Anyone use the Jetblack Volt? only trainer that seems to be in stock that rivals the Wahoo Core.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcchKjieoEc

Make what you like of that but GP Lama doesn't miss too much

• Advertisement

nilhg wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcchKjieoEc

Make what you like of that but GP Lama doesn't miss too much

I pulled the plug and order the JetBlack today. Looking forward to getting some indoor sessions in!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭dinneenp

So I've been using my TT a bit since Jan. The contact between tire and rotating part of the TT was very tight, only recently did I dismantle it and put it together so the contact was lighter.

Anyway, went on the road yesterday and got a puncture, now wondering if the tire was worn and this caused it. Another reason to upgrade to a direct drive TT sooner rather than later.....

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭lissard

I have a cheap wheel and tyre that I use just for the turbo and it gets gets around this problem. When I go out on the road I swap in my normal wheel. Cheaper than upgrading to a direct drive option.

lissard wrote: »
    I have a cheap wheel and tyre that I use just for the turbo and it gets gets around this problem. When I go out on the road I swap in my normal wheel. Cheaper than upgrading to a direct drive option.

I plan to do that as well but want a DD TT anyway.

dinneenp wrote: »
    I plan to do that as well but want a DD TT anyway.

I went straight for the DD because wheel on would be too loud for my bedroom.

• Advertisement

Why are DD TT's so bloody expensive?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Anyway, went on the road yesterday and got a puncture, now wondering if the tire was worn and this caused it. Another reason to upgrade to a direct drive TT sooner rather than later.....

Absolutely no way to know but those trainers will burn through regular tyres quick enough so quite likely a contributing factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,543 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Best way to manage it, as Lissard said above Pa, is browse Adverts for an unwanted rear wheel and stick a long-life turbo tyre on it. Swap that wheel on for TT sessions and stick the road wheel back on for outside sessions.

You can get perfectly usable rear wheels for €20/30, remember you don't need anything light as long as it's true.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Why are DD TT's so bloody expensive?

From the Wahoo takedown video theirs at least would have a LOT of machining time. That's incredibly expensive manufacturing. The flywheels of on wheel units are rather simpler.

Also, the market has moved upwards now. Thanks to the virus a new audience for indoor cycling has emerged, with well-heeled buyers - many of which from the three sport domain :pac: which has ticked value and prices up a notch.

Elite used to sell a well-priced DD turbo called the Muin (I and II) with fluid drive and smart sensors for ~€300, often discounted by the likes of Halfords as DD turbos were a niche item.

That model is dropped from the Elite range and its replacement - the Elite Turno - is €500+

Had there been no Covid I speculate the Turno would have been launched into a very different market at a different price point entirely.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I had a muin, and they still tried to blur the lines of it being smart. And the sensor was off the wall in terms of absolute power (curve was consistent). I'd be one of those people flying past people at 15 w/kg if I still had it?

Let's not exaggerate too much :pac:

The Muin overstates power, and Zwift will ZeePee you fair enough, but it's not by a huge amount and the curve is, as you say, consistent.

For training and use outside of graded Zwift/Rouvy events - go for your life, great turbo.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Oberkon

The muin is well known to give you big watts ,you’d wonder do lads use them for zwift races for an ego lift

I’ve a tacx neo 2 in comparison which is bang on accuracy, but you have to work for every watt some piece of kit so it is .

MojoMaker wrote: »
    Let's not exaggerate too much :pac:

The Muin overstates power, and Zwift will ZeePee you fair enough, but it's not by a huge amount and the curve is, as you say, consistent.

For training and use outside of graded Zwift/Rouvy events - go for your life, great turbo.
    Ok, I probably still wouldn't be 15 w/kg, but the difference to my 4iiii, which I've verified against my Hammer was pretty significant.

I have the stats somewhere from when I compared, but diverged more at higher power. It would definitely be an advantage in sprints in zwift.

It was very quiet, and a massive step up from wheel on, with TrainerRoad. I'm not sure how zwift treat it, but should be treated the same as any other virtual power.

Zwift negate any results from non-supported turbos (including the Muin) so racers are covered by the (relatively) level playing field of standardised and approved turbo profiles.

I was seeing approx 20w uplift on normalised power, so not accurate, but not likely to set any virtual records at the same time. The consistent curve gives you something to train with for sure, and as we all know ftp values are only good for pub chat, or in transition :pac:

The point being, the Muin is still a good buy as an affordable DD trainer if you are not focused on officially-sanctioned online racing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭FinnC

Lads will any bike fit these Direct drive trainers?
    I’ve an old Halfords Carrera Virtuoso that I bought as my first bike years ago but don’t use anymore,I’d want to put it on trainer and leave on it permanently. I think it’s only 8 speed so I guess I’ll need to buy a cassette also as I don’t think they come supplied with the trainer?
    I’m looking at buying the Kickr Core.
    Thanks.

You'll need an extra spacer, but I've used a 7 speed on my Hammer.

Macy0161 wrote: »
    You'll need an extra spacer, but I've used a 7 speed on my Hammer.

So with a spacer and cassette the bike itself should fit on no problems?

Should, but I'm not giving the guarantee!

I needed the 10 speed spacer that came with the Hammer, plus another (1.8mm?) spacer. It might be different for an 8 speed, but if you google "fitting an 8 speed on an 11 speed hub" you should get the answer (I did that, only with 7 speed not 8 speed, obviously)

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Should, but I'm not giving the guarantee!

I needed the 10 speed spacer that came with the Hammer, plus another (1.8mm?) spacer. It might be different for an 8 speed, but if you google "fitting an 8 speed on an 11 speed hub" you should get the answer (I did that, only with 7 speed not 8 speed, obviously)
    Hi thanks.
    One more question if you don’t mind.
    I counted the cogs on the cassette and it’s a 12-26.
    Finding it hard to find one to buy. There are loads of 13-26 and 12-25 though. Is it alright to just buy one of these and use it with the bike in the turbo if I buy one?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

FinnC wrote: »
    Hi thanks.
    Finding it hard to find one to buy. There are loads of 13-26 and 12-25 though. Is it alright to just buy one of these and use it with the bike in the turbo if I buy one?

Absolutely fine

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

FinnC wrote: »
    Hi thanks.

If you don’t use the bike anymore- just take the cassette off the wheel and stick it on the turbo. My DD turbo came with spacers so you may not even have to look for one of those either.

martyc5674 wrote: »
    If you don’t use the bike anymore- just take the cassette off the wheel and stick it on the turbo. My DD turbo came with spacers so you may not even have to look for one of those either.

Thanks, good suggestion and one I never thought of!
    Just bought a Kickr Core so should be a big step up from my basic dumb turbo I’ve been using.

Advertisement