Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a smart trainer

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Buy two cassettes and swap over, shouldn't take more than 2 minutes each time

• Registered Users Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭Macy0161

keane2097 wrote: »
    It is and it isn't. You can put the trainer into a mode where it maintains your power output regardless of your gearing, the 'terrain' in zwift or whatever etc, but it sort of takes away one of the main aspects of a smart trainer to do that.
    I'd say that "depends".

ERG was the main reason I got a smart turbo, and wouldn't swap back for my workouts. I'd had it a couple of years before I tried zwift/ simulation mode (only at the start of the first lockdown). I had an old 7 speed on it, and hadn't even indexed it until then. I used TrainerRoad, and my "entertainment" was netflix/ prime/ spotify. I still use ERG for the majority of my sessions as I follow a TrainerRoad plan. Zwift is moving wallpaper, and now (again) weekend outdoor ride substitutes.

So if ye plan to do just workouts with the likes of TrainerRoad, one cassette probably will work fine.

If ye plan to zwift/ rouvy/ RGT then the two cassettes as the others say.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,639 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Kickr core ordered & eta mid November which suits really as I'm off season currently. Looking forward to using Zwift with smart control now.

Anyone after a direct drive non smart trainer? 🀣

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭9Crimes

Thanks for the replies.

It wasn't a sales guy that mentioned using the same cassette for both bikes but I was skeptical, hence my question here!
    I will be doing specific power and cadence based workouts so would be using ERG mode anyway I think. My girlfriend would be going up and down gears though and following a written workout rather than a workout preset on the turbo.

I didn't realise it was a quick and easy job to replace cassettes in and out so that's great to know, thanks. Is there any specific brand that is easier to switch out cassettes over other brands?

Thanks again everyone, You are an invaluable resource on here!

9Crimes wrote: »
    I didn't realise it was a quick and easy job to replace cassettes in and out so that's great to know, thanks. Is there any specific brand that is easier to switch out cassettes over other brands?

Thanks again everyone, You are an invaluable resource on here!
    There's tools involved - chain whip and lock ring nut tool. Shimano probably the easiest got for the latter/ in any kit.

Personally, I'd find it an added pain the arse on top of the pain in the arse of swapping bikes!

btw a lot of software give the option of building workouts and then using erg mode for your girlfriend. Obviously, hitting power targets takes care of itself with ERG, but specific cadence and hitting power I've found hard without erg.

• Advertisement

Chain whip, lock ring tool and that's it, brand, is dependent on your groupset so presuming its Shimano, SRAM or Shimano will do the job nicely

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭pete6296

dahat wrote: »
    Kickr core ordered & eta mid November which suits really as I'm off season currently. Looking forward to using Zwift with smart control now.

I might be looking, what is it?

pete6296 wrote: »
    I might be looking, what is it?

Elite Turbo Muin, non smart and no sensor. I've used it fine on Zwift, with my own power meter. 3.5 yrs old and still in great nick.

Elite Turbo Muin, non smart and no sensor. I've used it fine on Zwift, with my own power meter. 3.5 yrs old and still in great nick.

Apologies, never read the piece earlier where it said non smart. Looking for a smart turbo. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭JKC

Would be interested, what is it, how much & where are you located?

Thanks in advance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭Bambaata

I've been using 105 11 speed bike with 10 speed cassette on the kickr with no issues at all. Have been using a fair amount of the gears and it runs surprisingly smoothly!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

Anyone got any clever (by which I mean cheap or free!) suggestions for getting the laptop set up in front of the trainer? Couldn't justify paying for one of the official stands.

Anyone got any clever (by which I mean cheap or free!) suggestions for getting the laptop set up in front of the trainer? Couldn't justify paying for one of the official stands.

Kitchen chair.

Kitchen chair.

Thanks, might be a bit low, I'm quite tall as well... I've a few step ladders and hopefully one of them might work too.

On the topic.... Are these fans really essential? I'll be in an uninsulated, block shed with corrugated roof... Also have a couple of windows to open to let the cold air in, but it's almost as cold in there as outside....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Sell/leave rented house, procure a number of cardboard boxes, pack belongings to these boxes. Buy/move into a new house (or apartment) and move these boxes into a spare room. Stack the boxes to desired height and never unpack, ta-da problem solved!

Bambaata wrote: »
    Sell/leave rented house, procure a number of cardboard boxes, pack belongings to these boxes. Buy/move into a new house (or apartment) and move these boxes into a spare room. Stack the boxes to desired height and never unpack, ta-da problem solved!

It's always the obvious inventions that are successful!

Thanks, I might bypass the selling the house part, but a few storage type boxes are probably the answer here.

Would 2 new bicycles also be the answer? The width of the 2 cardboard boxes would be about right for a laptop, and height should be about OK too....

Thanks, might be a bit low, I'm quite tall as well... I've a few step ladders and hopefully one of them might work too.

On the topic.... Are these fans really essential? I'll be in an uninsulated, block shed with corrugated roof... Also have a couple of windows to open to let the cold air in, but it's almost as cold in there as outside....
    I've seen people using a music stand.

I've used my fan in my unheated shed when it's been -6 and snow on the ground! You may get away with it if there's enough of a draft though. Door and windows just delay the turning on for me, rather than stop the need for a fan.

Its the airflow to take the sweat off and stop you cooking. If there is a good draft, you are grand. I was fine outside on a windy day but on a cold day with no wind you cook after about 5 to 10 minutes.

Looking at a Kinetic Core Smart Rock n Roll trainer.
    Any opinion on this unit

• Registered Users Posts: 7,210 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Wiggle got a few Kickr Core's in this morning. I tried to order within 15 mins of getting the notification email, 3 in stock when I added to my basket but gone by the time I went upstairs to look for my credit card

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

I bought a tacx vortex September 2019 for €177 on chain reaction.... I remember at time advertising it in bargain section and a good few on here jumped into it fast . ...

I do use it a good bit but wish I'd got a direct trainer but l suppose it cost me so little and I'd prob get half what I paid back if I sold it.

I find it ok if I do a zwift race or if I set something up in advance .... in my opinion if you just jump on it with no plan you could bore yourself to death.

I tried the tacx videos but found them boring . After month trial I used the free ones a few times but total boreville ....

I've tried watching netflix but it doesnt suit me , I'd rather sit and relax watching tv.

Music and music videos is a bit better but you can only do it for so long .

Tried watching sport and that can be good if sport is good .

My overall best option is zwift and racing on it .... its total balls out racing for 30 mins , time flys on and the work out is great .

Wiggle got a few Kickr Core's in this morning. I tried to order within 15 mins of getting the notification email, 3 in stock when I added to my basket but gone by the time I went upstairs to look for my credit card

Cigala retail are taking pre orders for delivery mid November. Your order is secured once paid for which was my best option as no outlets were stocked when i booked.

Cigala retail are taking pre orders for delivery mid November. Your order is secured once paid for which was my best option as no outlets were stocked when i booked.
    Thanks. I have one ordered from Wahoo direct tbh (although you can't order there anymore) so I'd hope to have it by then, they said 2/3 weeks when I ordered a week or so ago. If I found one in stock I'd just take it - stuck at home working long hours.

Wouldn't mind but I sold a Tacx Flux for no real reason having not touched it since the first lock down

Got an order confirmed eventually - if anyone else is looking you need to be ready to click buy the minute you get the notification

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭redlead

Got an order confirmed eventually - if anyone else is looking you need to be ready to click buy the minute you get the notification

I got an elite suito last week after doing exactly that. They were out of stock again almost instantly.

I've really been enjoying zwift so far I have to say. The riding style takes a bit of getting used to. I'm quite a lazy rider naturally, used to free wheeling when I get the chance. You can't do that on zwift so its a constant effort. I'm as tired after 25k as I usually am after 50 because you can't get a breather. That's a good thing though because no-one wants to be sitting on a turbo for 2 hours. Well I don't anyway.

pete6296 wrote: »
    Looking at a Kinetic Core Smart Rock n Roll trainer.
    Any opinion on this unit

http://www.adverts.ie/21959867
    That is what I'm looking at.

Anybody use rouvy instead of zwift, a little less subscription

I now have three of these ordered - and the third one shipped almost immediately.

Wiggle were showing delivery date of 12 Nov so I will cancel that one.

If anyone else is looking - just set up alerts everywhere and order immediately when you get the email notification

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭gn3dr

I now have three of these ordered - and the third one shipped almost immediately.

Wiggle were showing delivery date of 12 Nov so I will cancel that one.

If anyone else is looking - just set up alerts everywhere and order immediately when you get the email notification
    Which shop shipped immediately?

gn3dr wrote: »
    Which shop shipped immediately?

LBS near me in France so no good to anyone here unfortunately, hoping to get it out for delivery tomorrow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭Enduro

redlead wrote: »
    That's a good thing though because no-one wants to be sitting on a turbo for 2 hours. Well I don't anyway.

Ironically enough, I was near the end of a 2 hour turbo session when I read this :)

Advertisement