Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine/antidote and testing procedures Megathread [Mod Warning - Post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    All aboard!

https://www.thejournal.ie/freezers-covid-19-vaccine-5286334-Dec2020/

Excuse the Journal link and, as ever, avert your eyes from the comments section

There lies crazy people

They should pay people to take the vaccine. Two weeks after the second shot, here is €300 go out and spend it in a wet pub/ hair dresser. Bit of a kick start to the economy and wouldn't hurt with the uptake either.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,125 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

They should pay people to take the vaccine. Two weeks after the second shot, here is €300 go out and spend it in a wet pub/ hair dresser. Bit of a kick start to the economy and wouldn't hurt with the uptake either.

I would agree with vouchers to spend locally maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Ronin247

Pharma companies have in house legal teams, so it wouldn’t cost them anything extra, or very very little.

Same thing could be said for the insurance industry as well but it doesn't work that way. They are not court legal teams, they are patent and property and that type of legal teams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Would one thousand percent work with scroates/Facebook Mammy Hunzos

Shame it'll never happen though

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,696 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Sheep2020 stop trolling the thread and trying to wind up other posters if you wish to keep posting privileges

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

lbj666 wrote: »
    - Correct me if i am wrong, but wasnt this actually what you call a "rushed vacine" also and it only when through Phase 1 trials and approved because of "exceptional circumstance"
    - Something like 1:40,000 reported serious side effects globally mostly europe
    - Its the one vacine plucked out as an example out of how many developed in recent history that have had no such issues?

It's not the speed of development, it's the size of trials that prevent one from seeing these oddball rare reactions. If you took 30k people and jabbed half with Pandermix and the other with placebo, what are your chances of detecting that 1 in 40k event related to the vaccine? Would it make a difference if you waited 2-3 months or 2-3 years? The event will manifest itself 2-6 weeks after the injection.

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2015/07/why-pandemic-flu-shot-caused-narcolepsy

It's among the better arricles describing what happened there.

I suspect it's one of the reasons western pharma companies are staying well clear of inactivated whole virus vaccine platforms in general.

Here is a convenient list of the historical issues with vaccines:
    https://www.cdc.gov/vaccinesafety/concerns/concerns-history.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

you could imagine some would have a vaccine every week if that was the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,125 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I hear the Pfizer vaccine can be kept in a normal fridge for 5 days . That will make a huge difference to the distribution

• Registered Users Posts: 21,222 ✭✭✭✭Water John

US saying it will have the vulnerable (100M) vaccinated by the end of Feb.

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    I hear the Pfizer vaccine can be kept in a normal fridge for 5 days . That will make a huge difference to the distribution

And can be kept in a cold bag, at below 6 degrees Celsius, for 6 hours. So can be couriered around by motorbike, like the blood bikes, which will help distribution in rural areas

• Advertisement

And can be kept in a cold bag, at below 6 degrees Celsius, for 6 hours. So can be couriered around by motorbike, like the blood bikes, which will help distribution in rural areas

I read earlier that it has to be kept stationary when at fridge temp, so can't be moved around. Apparently that's the reason the UK are now saying care homes might not be first in line.

In other temperature news Moderna are now happy that theirs is stable at fridge temps for 30 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭Dickie10

i presume we should be well fit to vaccinate all vulnerable by end of jan?

I read earlier that it has to be kept stationary when at fridge temp, so can't be moved around. Apparently that's the reason the UK are now saying care homes might not be first in line.

Surely that's not a major obstacle. The AI technician comes to my farmyard with deep frozen bull semen to inseminate cows.

Water John wrote: »
    Surely that's not a major obstacle. The AI technician comes to my farmyard with deep frozen bull semen to inseminate cows.

I'm not sure, they are seeing if they can split batches to make it easier (each case has 975 doses). Might just be extra cautious, nobody wants to see doses wasted.

Not the same thing, like comparing cabbages and chocolate.

This is the best explanation I seen yet.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=114953843&postcount=3311

Moving it around might not be so good

Disagree that's the temp he would have in his flask. I understand that it would begin to separate. As you point out though it the number of frozen doses in one batch is the problem.

Don't have a link, but it seems the EU were a bit critical today of the speed at which the UK issued the EUA. Source is NIH Director US Dr. Francis Collins on CNN.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

mandrake04 wrote: »
    you could imagine some would have a vaccine every week if that was the case.

The arrogance and disdain on this thread tonight is both shameful and breathtaking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

I can see that you like to hang out with the big boys but so many of your posts are quite pathetic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

The UK and Northern Ireland are set to start vaccinating next week. Any word yet on when we'll start?

• Advertisement

I'm getting confused with all the sheep on this thread.

The UK and Northern Ireland are set to start vaccinating next week. Any word yet on when we'll start?

Dec 29th is the latest day by which EU approval will be given and may be earlier. Roll out will happen then straight away.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Dec 29th is the latest day by which EU approval will be given and may be earlier. Roll out will happen then straight away.

How are they taking their time making their decision? It seems to be ok for the UK,so how are they so special?

How are they taking their time making their decision? It seems to be ok for the UK,so how are they so special?

The EU has been a bit critical of the haste by which the UK have authorised EUA.
    So do you trust the UK Govn't more than the EU?

polesheep wrote: »
    The arrogance and disdain on this thread tonight is both shameful and breathtaking.

LOLLLL Disdain...certainly...definitely.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,938 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Disagree that's the temp he would have in his flask. I understand that it would begin to separate. As you point out though it the number of frozen doses in one batch is the problem.

Don't have a link, but it seems the EU were a bit critical today of the speed at which the UK issued the EUA. Source is NIH Director US Dr. Francis Collins on CNN.

He is using liquid nitrogen which is at -195 Celsius. The batch sizes might be a problem, but at that temperature separation of the vaccine would not be I imagine ?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Pretty sure the UK got the application earlier too. The europeans got a final application the day before yesterday.

The EMA have criticised the UK approvals process. All but suggesting they rubber stamped it rather than reading it.

I don't think there is a massive public health benefit to approving it now compared to around 29th December. The UK are talking about vaccinating tiny quantities this year.

We might as well get the thing properly approved, not leave gaps for antivax to attack the process and vaccinate in the new year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Sheep2020

I don't think there is a massive public health benefit to approving it now compared to around 29th December. The UK are talking about vaccinating tiny quantities this year.

We might as well get the thing properly approved, not leave gaps for antivax to attack the process and vaccinate in the new year.

No massive health benefit?

How do you figure that?

150,000 people died of Covid in Europe last month

Every extra day they wait, 3000-5000 souls could have been saved

Imagine your family member gets Covid late this month because vaccine wasn't available and godforbid dies

Happy to wait then?

Its just a paper excercise, they are not testing the vaccine in the lab in vitro, they want to show UK up, all about ego, not public health

• Registered Users Posts: 12,094 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

The U.K. are just doing it to be first really

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Sheep2020 wrote: »
    No massive health benefit?

How do you figure that?

150,000 people died of Covid in Europe last month

Every extra day they wait, 3000-5000 souls could have been saved

Imagine your family member gets Covid late this month because vaccine wasn't available and godforbid dies

Happy to wait then?

Its just a paper excercise, they are not testing the vaccine in the lab in vitro, they want to show UK up, all about ego, not public health

None of my family members would get a vaccine in the first 20,000 or 30,000 doses so it doesnt matter to my family whether its approved now or after christmas. There wouldn't be more than that vaccinated this year.

It doesnt change my opinion that they should thoroughly review the data before approving it.

Not receive the data and approve it the next day (EMA received the data filings 2 days ago).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement