Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who would you prefer managing the Corona virus pandemic: FG or SF

• 17-03-2020 3:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

I have much more comfort knowing FG are in government right now rather than SF. Could you imagine SF trying to deal with this issue, they’d probably have some TD tweeting how the virus is an international Jewish conspiracy.

Btw, to all the millenials who voted SF in the expectation of increased social (free) housing. Let’s see how comfortable you are with SF managing the resulting economic crisis and job losses.

Which Government do think will best manage the Corona Virus pandemic 307 votes

SF
    63% 195 votes
    FG
    4% 15 votes
    FF
    31% 97 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭the dark phantom

Not bored of SF bashing yet ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Again, sf are not in government, and most likely will not be in the near future, move on, it's unhealthy for you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

Not bored of SF bashing yet ?

My understanding is that latest research shows the SF bashing addiction is a life-long, incurable affliction with limited chances of a vaccine ever being discovered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Who cares, all parties need to row in behind this

I do think the opposition parties could show a bit more solidarity publicly. This isn't and shouldn't be a political issue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,589 ✭✭✭baldbear

Sinn Fein would have the Corona virus disappeared by now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

UnitedPeople - We'd have a more clearer actions

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭CFlat

My understanding is that all parties are rowing in behind FG in these difficult times. It's not a time for one upmanship, it's a time for solidarity.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

baldbear wrote: »

It hasn’t gone away you know.

140,000 jobs lost last week,entire sectors of econmy decimated,budget deficits that will be horrendous,thousands of extra public service workers will be hired**

Is this not the doomsday scenario envisaged by many FG heads on boards if SF got into power??

**i know the times are extra ordinary and broadly support measures brought in,but its just pure hypocritical nature of the OP and others to blindly support what 6 weeks ago would have horrified them that is galling

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Ultimanemo

SF would manage it much better, corona virus pandemic needs dictatorial rulers and totalitarian regimes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,908 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

It's like the 1980s joke.
    What kills germs better than Vortex?
    Semtex.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

I have much more comfort knowing FG are in government right now rather than SF. Could you imagine SF trying to deal with this issue, they’d probably have some TD tweeting how the virus is an international Jewish conspiracy.

Btw, to all the millenials who voted SF in the expectation of increased social (free) housing. Let’s see how comfortable you are with SF managing the resulting economic crisis and job losses.

Far better outcomes for the island if decisions were being made in synergy between the two political jurisdictions than separately.

Diseases don’t recognise borders therefore a 32 county cross border approach to combating this disease would have best outcomes for all people on this island.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

I'm glad it's FG charge purely as they would understand the department's better than others (regardless of how well you think they have done).

Times like this, existing relationships etc are all important and can expedite decision making.

It would have been a baptism of fire for any new government, especially one with as many inexperienced TDs as SF (or FF) of being in government.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

Doctors and scientists please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭screamer

Like any time in life you face something huge and unknown you seek out someone who has experience or knowledge. I’m no fan of FG, but given that they are experienced in day to day running of the country and they have guidance from knowledgeable and experienced medical staff I think the current setup is the best we can ask for. I have been unexpectedly surprised and impressed with Leo, Coveney and Harris. Maybe you only see someone’s true steel when in battle, who knows.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

The Sinn Fein vote is a sad reflection of the intelligence in our country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,928 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

SF couldn't manage a corner shop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

140,000 jobs lost last week,entire sectors of econmy decimated,budget deficits that will be horrendous,thousands of extra public service workers will be hired**

Is this not the doomsday scenario envisaged by many FG heads on boards if SF got into power??

**i know the times are extra ordinary and broadly support measures brought in,but its just pure hypocritical nature of the OP and others to blindly support what 6 weeks ago would have horrified them that is galling

And if ML and Doherty were Taoiseach and Tanaiste what would they have done differently Blaaz, assuming that you are implying that the current state of the country is down to FG mismanagement?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,624 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

FF but only if Bertie were leader

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

Oranage2 wrote: »
    UnitedPeople - We'd have a more clearer actions

What do you not find clear? Wash hands, cover coughs and sneezes, apply social separation, self-isolate and contact your GP if you meet criteria - high temp, cough, contact with someone who has been infected. Its up to people to listen to instructions but because people dont take things as seriously as they should additional measure like shutting bars, cancelling sporting events etc helps slow down the rate of spread to hopefully manageable levels.

I think the lack of other parties bar FG always in the news is indicative of cross party support, its not miles away from having a national crisis government. They would probably all be doing the same ie listening to Dept of Health advisors. It isnt time for a rookie government and I doubt either SF or FF would be that fussed on governing currently or overseeing a damaged economy during a wold recession in due course - bit of a poison chalice now for whomever forms the government.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I'd say it's immaterial. SF wont want to govern now for at least 5 years if not more.

I'm not a fan of FG at all but I think Simon Coveney and Simon Harris are doing a great job right now.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

While I'd agree that people need to get over themselves re SF, I'd much rather the current government stays in place until we get over the current unprecedented crisis.

🙈🙉🙊

splinter65 wrote: »
    And if ML and Doherty were Taoiseach and Tanaiste what would they have done differently Blaaz, assuming that you are implying that the current state of the country is down to FG mismanagement?

Very little id say,

just think the hyprocisy is laughable...a doomsday scenario in terms of econmic crisis that 6 weeks ago was end of world stuff....is suddently ok so.as to own shinners,childish stuff really

I dont think FG are to blame for CV-19 if thats what your thinking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,696 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I think SF would be too concerned and concentrated on the hardship of it all on their voters compared to getting on with actually making tough decisions to fight it..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

No its bloody not, it shows people were/are sick of the norm, an intelligence test is not a part of the voting system

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Very little id say,

just think the hyprocisy is laughable...a doomsday scenario in terms of econmic crisis that 6 weeks ago was end of world stuff....is suddently ok so.as to own shinners,childish stuff really

I dont think FG are to blame for CV-19 if thats what your thinking

Well I can’t see the hypocrisy then....because there is none. The economic crisis is not “suddenly ok”. Who said it was? If you can’t tell me how SF would handle this crisis in a better way then you can’t point a finger at any other administration.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

The heads of the civil service are doing the thinking planning and making decisions ...govts only act as marketing men who announce the plans

Not everything needs to turn into politics mickey measuring.

I’m happy with what’s being done currently though and I think any of them would have stepped up.

splinter65 wrote: »
    Well I can’t see the hypocrisy then....because there is none. The economic crisis is not “suddenly ok”. Who said it was? If you can’t tell me how SF would handle this crisis in a better way then you can’t point a finger at any other administration.

You may wish to talk to the OP then as he is all in blowing his load, thrilled with FG performance here

Quite why you think,i know nor care about how SF would handle this is beyond me....people are allowed to point out.hyprocrisy of those who.scream house down at preceived job losses under shinners,but then turn blind eye to 140K losses (mostly low.paid) last week without being SF supporters

I did say they wouldnt do anything much different,but this deos not give others a licence for hyprocrisy imo anyway

• Advertisement

Those pesky 40-65 year old Millennials that voted for SF in greater numbers than they voted for FG.

Gen Z voted for SF in higher numbers than Millennials.

All in all, a witless opening post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭growleaves

Bizarro Sinn Fein have failed us in a parallel universe. Remember that when you are sealed in your voting booth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

I am extremely impressed with our political establishment.

The government, in particular Coveney and Harris have been assured and giving the right message.

Sinn f have been sensible. Maybe they were tempted to be vocal, but I admire their restraint. The last thing we need is political bollixology.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

I agree, can’t believe so few voted for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

baldbear wrote: »

Put it in the back of a van, have gerry blow its knees off and be done with t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

And under the current system who is going to be paying for social assistance for those who lose their jobs? That's right, the working poor and the middle class. Whatever the rich are forced to chip in doesn't make the tiniest dent in their wealth, but the regular people of this country have to suffer now. How do the masses approve of this? How is it ok for Apple, Google etc. and the many others to pay next to nothing due to the policies of FG?

It is absolutely ridiculous that people vote and support a system that takes money away from the working poor and the middle class, while the rich get richer and richer and richer.

• Advertisement

The_Brood wrote: »
    And under the current system who is going to be paying for social assistance for those who lose their jobs? That's right, the working poor and the middle class. Whatever the rich are forced to chip in doesn't make the tiniest dent in their wealth, but the regular people of this country have to suffer now. How do the masses approve of this? How is it ok for Apple, Google etc. and the many others to pay next to nothing due to the policies of FG?

It is absolutely ridiculous that people vote and support a system that takes money away from the working poor and the middle class, while the rich get richer and richer and richer.

The ‘rich’ and middle class pay for literally everything here, this country would be on its knees without the rich who are at breaking point already , any more tax burden and theyd be gone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

SF have more experience with body count.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,040 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Government doing ok. Should have thought through a few things better and responded to calls for pubs to shut earlier.
    Also they were a bit lilly livered not heavily criticising the DUP stance (had it been SF they'd have had a field day) and cautioning against travel to and from the only place in Europe adopting a different strategy.
    Despite doing ok, they can't help being FG at the end of the day I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

The ‘rich’ and middle class pay for literally everything here, this country would be on its knees without the rich who are at breaking point already , any more tax burden and theyd be gone

Erm as the working poor tax is robbed off me too to pay for those who don't work. Tax money that I desperately could do with, but am not allowed to have. How is that ok?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Nollog

If we follow the logic of your own OP then SF would've closed businesses faster surely because they're so anti-business, and we'd all be on a thousand euro a week on their welfare offering, according to you.

• Advertisement

Erm as the working poor tax is robbed off me too to pay for those who don't work. Tax money that I desperately could do with, but am not allowed to have. How is that ok?

Its not, your tax money is used to fund stupid quangos, a top heavy inefficient health system and europes most generous and most abused welfare state, no amount of punishing the rich is going to fix the problem, when you have a bucket that leaks you fix the holes not add more water

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

Actually the majority of tax that is collected is paid by a minority of higher earners. People on Low incomes pay very little income tax and our exchequer as a whole is over reliant on a small number of large multinationals who pay the vast majority of corporation tax that it’s not even funny. If we lost those companies a lot of people would be out of work and we would lose the corporation tax that those companies pay which is what keeps our public services going.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Ultimanemo

Do you think it is possible to make Apple and Google pay more tax and give you the money?.
    Apple, Google, PayPal, Medtronics, Boston Scientific and many others employ thousands and if you tax them more they will go to other countries and thousands will lose their jobs.
    Those companies pay a lot taxes for their employees, for example if they pay an employee 40K a year and the tax is 40% then the company will pay 16000 a year of tax for that employee

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭solidasarock

I think we got REALLY lucky with the timing of the last election and the outcome. It was a election for change and those happen. Its natural and I dont blame anyone for voting the way they did. But **** happens and the waters where muddied and thank god that right now we have a experienced government in charge in a time we NEED a experienced government in charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭SkepticQuark

I think it makes no difference honestly, our politics tends to be more united in times like this. It's been obvious during Brexit that all major political parties ultimately have the same view of things and it's been obvious during this that it's the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Heart Break Kid

Em Medical professionals isn't an option? Ultimate regardless who is in government they would be expected to follow medical advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

Em Medical professionals isn't an option? Ultimate regardless who is in government they would be expected to follow medical advice.

Em medical professionals give medical advice they don’t run the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 514 ✭✭✭thomasdylan

I think Simon Harris has done fairly well so far. Health seems to be a disaster no matter who is in charge. Northern Ireland have been having their own issues too.

I don't think Louise O'Reilly is impressive at all, I think she'd be out of her depth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

I think Simon Harris has done fairly well so far. Health seems to be a disaster no matter who is in charge. Northern Ireland have been having their own issues too.

I don't think Louise O'Reilly is impressive at all, I think she'd be out of her depth.

It would take any party new to Government a lot of time to get up to speed with civil service/public service practice and procedure and the ordinary businesss of government.
    Louise O Reilly probably has ideas on how to improve the health service but in the middle of a pandemic is not the time to start the changes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,543 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I don't think any government want to be dealing with this, I'm sure they are scaried too, anyways FG are doing a good job

• Advertisement
Advertisement