Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supermarkets - the Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,479 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

tommybrees wrote: »
    Mind your business and shop elsewhere if your that concerned

Come off it! It's a legitimate question in light of restrictions on other retailers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Jaysus will ye delete.

Next thing there’ll be some do gooder looking here starting an online campaign to have the place shut down or restricted just to fulfill their sad little lives.

I get it, it’s ridiculous that other stores can’t open to sell clothes if Dunne’s are but the ridiculousness is not the fact that Dunne’s are selling a few clothes here and there, it’s the fact that alcohol and takeaway coffees etc are deemed essential items and fookin clothes aren’t!!

My sister in law just had a baby and dunnes was the only place she could find for her husband to actually go in and buy a few newborn clothes, baby came early so they were damn glad of it. It’s not like a shebheen or the likes housing parties etc

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

I was in my local Dunnes getting socks (which are considered essential) and the lady in front of me at the checkout was asking if they deliver the clothing seen on the rails, the answer I found was very interesting

The official line is she could buy whatever she wanted from the taped off rails as long as it is essential to her. So if you want something in a closed off section simply say it's essential to you and buy it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,626 ✭✭✭Xander10

suspect the potential fine is less than potential turnover.

It's the Dunnes way.

Not playing fair with competitors.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

the kelt wrote: »
    Jaysus will ye delete.

Next thing there’ll be some do gooder looking here starting an online campaign to have the place shut down or restricted just to fulfill their sad little lives.

I get it, it’s ridiculous that other stores can’t open to sell clothes if Dunne’s are but the ridiculousness is not the fact that Dunne’s are selling a few clothes here and there, it’s the fact that alcohol and takeaway coffees etc are deemed essential items and fookin clothes aren’t!!

My sister in law just had a baby and dunnes was the only place she could find for her husband to actually go in and buy a few newborn clothes, baby came early so they were damn glad of it. It’s not like a shebheen or the likes housing parties etc

Don't think people have an issue with retail being open....as long as it's consistent.

Imagine if you owned s shop that had to remain closed while another near you selling the same stuff could remain open?

Let's be honest, the rules are flawed.....why is Easons open and clothing retailers (more essential than books sone would say) are not?

Tesco can't sell any 'home entertainment' stuff but Currys and Harvey Norman are open?

The list is almost endless...

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,453 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Threads merged

• Registered Users Posts: 16,075 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

the kelt wrote: »
    Jaysus will ye delete.

My granddaughter needed her first shoes recently and nowhere open to get her measured . A truly essential thing for a toddler . Some things make no sense at all

• Registered Users Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    My granddaughter needed her first shoes recently and nowhere open to get her measured . A truly essential thing for a toddler . Some things make no sense at all

You can buy a clarke's foot gauge , little woods and schuh sell them 10-15 euro....I got one for my kids as I'm extremely lazy and can't be dealing with shopping and toddlers....

It has worked out really handy.

You can buy a clarke's foot gauge , little woods and schuh sell them 10-15 euro....I got one for my kids as I'm extremely lazy and can't be dealing with shopping and toddlers....

It has worked out really handy.

Thank you ! Luckily a friend had one and my daughter could borrow it and measure her . Very handy all right

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Thank you ! Luckily a friend had one and my daughter could borrow it and measure her . Very handy all right

I think they are relatively new to the market (couple of years) as friends of mine who have older children didn't know about them.

Really handy for online sales too.

I'm all for anything that makes life easier :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

I think they are relatively new to the market (couple of years) as friends of mine who have older children didn't know about them.

Really handy for online sales too.

I'm all for anything that makes life easier :)

They’re out of stock in most Irish places. I’m waiting on one from the uk, but with post being SO slow lately, it’ll probably be ages before it comes.

jlm29 wrote: »
    They’re out of stock in most Irish places. I’m waiting on one from the uk, but with post being SO slow lately, it’ll probably be ages before it comes.

Yeah I think they went out of stock last lockdown too, but they did come back into stock.

I have mine about two years,

I just did a lil search , cos what else would I be doing...little woods have the start-rite one for ages 4+

Clarkes.ie have the toddler one but 16 euro with 7 euro delivery....so pretty pricey.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Can't you use a ruler?

Or existing shoes to get an idea what size to order?

I know not perfect, but so isn't the tool I think.

wonski wrote: »
    Can't you use a ruler?

Good luck getting a "wobbler" to stand up straight to allow you to fiddle about with a ruler.

If it's their first pair of shoes you won't have a reference shoe size.

Some manufacturers like clarke's also size shoes on the foot width and the gauge has a tape measure in right place to measure this.

But yeah it's not essential but mine cost 12 euro and it has definitely been worth the cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

You don't need to fiddle about with a ruler.

You need to get the foot size and then measure it.

Use a pencil, marker or whatever. Draw around the foot on A4 sheet. Then fiddle with the ruler.

Would take a minute or 10, depending on the kid ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

A simpler solution would be to open the shoe shops and control customer numbers and enforce mask wearing and hand hygiene. Just like they were doing before.........

I just did a lil search , cos what else would I be doing...little woods have the start-rite one for ages 4+

Clarkes.ie have the toddler one but 16 euro with 7 euro delivery....so pretty pricey.

It’s the little one I need, it’s for first shoes. It was out of stock on Clarks.ie last week when I ordered. They must have gotten them back in since

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Tesco can't sell any 'home entertainment' stuff but Currys and Harvey Norman are open?

Is the furniture section in Harvey Norman open ?

wonski wrote: »
    Can't you use a ruler?

I can figure out the length I think, it’s the width I wasn’t certain of, and because they’re her first shoes, I don’t have anything to go by. I don’t want the hassle of having to order and return, possibly more than once if they’re wrong.
    Dunnes actually have a foot measure yoke that they will get for you if you ask. Not much use for width, it only does length, but might be handy for some people with older kids.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Zardoz wrote: »
    Is the furniture section in Harvey Norman open ?

Corned off but there are staff in the department, have seen them helping people with beds (people testing beds out).

I can figure out the length I think, it’s the width I wasn’t certain of, and because they’re her first shoes, I don’t have anything to go by. I don’t want the hassle of having to order and return, possibly more than once if they’re wrong.
    Dunnes actually have a foot measure yoke that they will get for you if you ask. Not much use for width, it only does length, but might be handy for some people with older kids.

Mothercare shoes were great they had a guide on the insole that you could remove and put against the baby's foot (too big, just right, too small) ...I would buy bigger than I thought and put them up until they grew into them. Boots are stocking the mothercare range now, but not sure about shoes.

Clarke's and start-rite I think are the only ones that do width sizing .

• Registered Users Posts: 15,841 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Don't think people have an issue with retail being open....as long as it's consistent.

Exactly

Easons making no sense whatsoever . I could buy adult fiction and non fiction , best sellers and travel books but the whole childrens section was cordoned off
    Are childrens books less essential that an adults ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭ForestFire

Just some info on retailers....

We were checking for school clothes and shoes for our 7yo.

Dunnes told us they are allowed sell school clothes on request.

We also ask at local garda station and they told us in their opinion this travel would be okay with them, but could not guarantee what a gaurd at a checkpoint might decide.

Also Bella baby is also open for collection and for appointments also for baby items.

I would ring some shoe stores and ask are they doing click and collect or offer appoint3for measurements.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Lockdown, what lockdown? Virtually the only businesses closed in my local town are charity shops, bookies, pubs and hairdressers - and small clothes retailers.

Easons, Discount & Euro shops, Supermarkets, Hardware, Cafes......and more... all open and yesterday was just like pre-covid times. As for 5k travel restrictions. The government have well and truly lost the dressing room. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭Patsy167

Does anyone know if Tesco are still enforcing the dedicated shopping times for protected groups, up to 9am Monday to Friday?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,479 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Patsy167 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if Tesco are still enforcing the dedicated shopping times for protected groups, up to 9am Monday to Friday?

They never did around here at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,481 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Noticed big gaps in shelves in Lidl and Aldi, signs up acknowledging this in-store. Also prices are increasing, from washing powder to confectionery to meats. Less discounts available on the fruit, veg and meat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,481 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Aldi staff today removing the yellow on-floor 2metre markers

Advertisement