Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supermarkets - the Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

i wonder how many retail staff out there have covid without showing any symptoms??

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭styron

fryup wrote: »
    i wonder how many retail staff out there have covid without showing any symptoms??

Combined Aldi and Lidl have stated 24 of their 9200+ staff in Ireland have had Covid 19: 0.26%, around 1 in 380. Other stores appear to be similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

fryup wrote: »

People without symptoms would not generally be tested so You will never find out tbh ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

styron wrote: »
    Combined Aldi and Lidl have stated 24 of their 9200+ staff in Ireland have had Covid 19: 0.26%, around 1 in 380. Other stores appear to be similar.

Goes to show the hysteria some display about Supermarkets is misplaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,063 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Goes to show the hysteria some display about Supermarkets is misplaced.

Not necessarily. There are no stats of how many people picked it up at the Supermarket.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,209 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Caranica wrote: »
    Not necessarily. There are no stats of how many people picked it up at the Supermarket.

The staff are there for what 8 hours a day or more. If people were picking it up in the supermarkets then so would the staff seeing as they've hours of exposure, touching surfaces, dealing with the public etc

You'll never know how many picked it up in a supermarket but the staff are an extremely good gauge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Caranica wrote: »

Staff infection rate is a good indication tbh. Considering their exposure to hundreds every day. As I said the hysteria was misplaced.

Edit, Stephen's is more informative.

Staff infection rate is a good indication tbh. Considering their exposure to hundreds every day. As I said the hysteria was misplaced.

Edit, Stephen's is more informative.

I agree, longer exposure to multiples of customers and colleagues. You'd know if a supermarket had an outbreak, it wouldn't be open.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,527 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

What hysteria?
    Even if it has turned out to be the case that they are not risky, that doesn't mean previous concerns were hysterical. Remember also supermarkets have taken measures to protect staff

Had they turned out to be risky, one could be concerned without beng hysterical.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Retro.

The staff are there for what 8 hours a day or more. If people were picking it up in the supermarkets then so would the staff seeing as they've hours of exposure, touching surfaces, dealing with the public etc

You'll never know how many picked it up in a supermarket but the staff are an extremely good gauge

Stuff are mostly wearing gloves and behind screens

That's why they're not getting it

• Advertisement

Retro. wrote: »
    Stuff are mostly wearing gloves and behind screens

That's why they're not getting it

Might be where you are but they aren't wearing gloves or masks in any of the ones I've been in. Screens only at the tills, what about when stocking the shelves etc ??

Even with screens if 1 staff member gets it, they work in close proximity to other staff members, so point still stands, if 1 staff member had it and it was being transmitted in supermarkets you'd know about it. Shop would be closed for a deep clean.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,778 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

The Department of Health said no breakdown was available of the jobs of those who had tested positive for the virus. https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/ireland/supermarket-staff-largely-evade-virus-in-ireland-zs2wbb9xr wtf not?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

The Department of Health said no breakdown was available of the jobs of those who had tested positive for the virus. https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/ireland/supermarket-staff-largely-evade-virus-in-ireland-zs2wbb9xr wtf not?

Unbelievable - such a simple stat to collect and some jobs worth decided it wasn't worth asking.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,977 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Posted it in the main thread but probably more appropriate here:

This is a long piece but worth a read, talking about the source of spread.
    It effectively come to the conclusion that apart from the spread withing households, you are in most danger of picking it up if you spend long periods of time in densely packed indoor areas with poor air circulation.

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2020/05/coronavirus-covid19-exposure-risk-catching-virus-germs
    When assessing the risk of infection (via respiration) at the grocery store or mall, you need to consider the volume of the air space (very large), the number of people (restricted), how long people are spending in the store (workers - all day; customers - an hour). Taken together, for a person shopping: the low density, high air volume of the store, along with the restricted time you spend in the store, means that the opportunity to receive an infectious dose is low. But, for the store worker, the extended time they spend in the store provides a greater opportunity to receive the infectious dose and therefore the job becomes more risky.

So effectively if Supermarket workers aren't getting it, they are very unlikely to be passing it on to customers who only spend small amount of times in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,172 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

If supermarkets were leading to lots of cases I think we would know by now. Surprising and encouraging considering any time I go shopping us mask wearers are in the minority. Good ventilation can make a huge difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,600 ✭✭✭Zardoz

It effectively come to the conclusion that apart from the spread withing households, you are in most danger of picking it up if you spend long periods of time in densely packed indoor areas with poor air circulation.

Similar to how people pick up the flu I suppose .
    Pubs are the ideal breathing ground for the virus especially the typical stuffy Irish pub with no air conditioning .
    I largely avoid them in December and January ,usually get a bad respiratory infection.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Posted it in the main thread but probably more appropriate here:

This is a long piece but worth a read, talking about the source of spread.

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2020/05/coronavirus-covid19-exposure-risk-catching-virus-germs

So effectively if Supermarket workers aren't getting it, they are very unlikely to be passing it on to customers who only spend small amount of times in there.

This is why I always open windows on a bus whether it's cold or not....

Still people are closing windows and it's hot out.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

This is why I always open windows on a bus whether it's cold or not....

Still people are closing windows and it's hot out.....

I can never understand why the windows on the bus or DART are nearly always closed. I would imagine that having the windows open is good, or can the virus blow around if open?

If I could open a window on a plane I would.:)

Might be where you are but they aren't wearing gloves or masks in any of the ones I've been in. Screens only at the tills, what about when stocking the shelves etc ??

Even with screens if 1 staff member gets it, they work in close proximity to other staff members, so point still stands, if 1 staff member had it and it was being transmitted in supermarkets you'd know about it. Shop would be closed for a deep clean.
    I'm in one of the bigger cork supermarkets. Most of us have given up wearing gloves as they keep tearing every time you handle/open some boxes. It's easier to sanitise your hands regularly. Fortunately the company has sanitiser in every part of the shop/stockroom. There are cleaning staff who spend their whole day disinfecting all surfaces that are touched a lot, shelves, doors and handrails etc.
    As far as a know no one working here has had the virus. One lad I know of self isolated for two weeks as a precaution but tested negative.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,917 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Lidl have pallets of eggs, they've even put them on offer
    Aldi have none
    in my locals anyway https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=113673142&postcount=70

Why so?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭WashYourHands

You can't get the virus through your hands :D:D Gloves are not necessary anywhere. The only reason gloves might help is if they stop you touching your face - but then it adds risk when taking them off and disposing of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭lucalux

zell12 wrote: »
    Lidl have pallets of eggs, they've even put them on offer
    Aldi have none
    in my locals anyway https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=113673142&postcount=70

Why so?

My local Lidl, well, both of the two nearest to me, haven't had any free range eggs anytime I've been in for over a month.
    Aldi has had them the past 2weeks though. I've been buying them in the local shop before that which isn't ideal for me, but I've found those caged eggs never taste ok

Wasn't there an outbreak of bird flu just before Covid hit? I think that's a contributor

• Registered Users Posts: 19,619 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Was in a Lidl yesterday and they have a new traffic light system for gaining entry to the store. There is sensors counting people going in and out and TV screens up telling you to either stop and wait or go ahead and enter. It seems to let about 5 or 6 people in at a time.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Was in a Lidl yesterday and they have a new traffic light system for gaining entry to the store. There is sensors counting people going in and out and TV screens up telling you to either stop and wait or go ahead and enter. It seems to let about 5 or 6 people in at a time.

Where was that?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,619 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

In their flagship store in Tallaght, its right next to their corporate HQ offices so I presume it is being tested in that store before being rolled out nationwide

• Registered Users Posts: 10,535 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

I'd settle for the Lidl here having hand sanitizer on the way in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Tesco also rolling this out over the coming weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Tesco also rolling this out over the coming weeks.

They've been behind on everything since this began. A company who cleared 2 Billion in profit last year and they didn't do 24 hour delivery when the country needed it

• Registered Users Posts: 28,527 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    They've been behind on everything since this began. A company who cleared 2 Billion in profit last year and they didn't do 24 hour delivery when the country needed it

Not saying their online offering is perfect but they have the most advanced delivery service in the country of any supermarket... if you're going to throw brickbats at supermarkets here for their online offering (including click collect) Tesco should be last in line!

Where is Dunnes online offering?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

odyssey06 wrote: »

Where is Dunnes online offering?

Dunnes didn't make 2 Billion in profit last year

Statutory revenue came in at £63.9 billion, an 11.2 per cent year-on-year growth, while statutory operating profit was £2.15 billion – a 17.1 per cent year-on-year uptick.A

https://www.retailgazette.co.uk/blog/2019/04/tesco-hails-turnaround-as-full-year-profit-surges-34/

Advertisement