Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Red dead redemption 2

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

It took me a little while to warm to it, and initially I was mildly disappointed, and, being honest, bored.

Yep. This is me at the moment.

Got it on Steam last month. Played the opening and haven't felt inclined to touch it since.

Whereas, with the original, you couldn't drag me away from it.

Tony EH wrote: »
    Yep. This is me at the moment.

Got it on Steam last month. Played the opening and haven't felt inclined to touch it since.

Whereas, with the original, you couldn't drag me away from it.

If you loved the original, I'd recommend returning to RDR2 at some point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

I played the original but never finished. Think I got about halfway through but then moved on to something else. I think If I ever get this game it will need to be at a time when I can dedicate lot of free time too it. Doesn't sound like the kinda game you can dip in and out of in half hour bursts every few days.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,147 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

RDR2 is one of the few games in recent years I've truly hated. I feel it was a fundamentally misguided, wrong-headed game that doubled down on fidelity at the expense of almost everything else.

Of course one can appreciate it as an incredibly lavish technical showcase (although you can say that about pretty much any hyper-expensive AAA video game these days). There's even a handful of missions over its insufferably long running time that feel like Rockstar successfully capturing what they wanted to go for. But three or four missions over a 60-70 hour game leaves a lot of dead space: endlessly taking way too long to complete mundane tasks; an obsession with 'realism' that ultimately just complicates bog standard video game mechanics; gameplay mechanics with no dynamism; a game that's still tossing tutorial boxes at you after 50 hours for utterly mundane and simplistic tasks; vast amounts of 'content' but a dearth of depth.

It's a bad video game as far as I'm concerned, and one IMO that doesn't deserve your time if you're feeling bored or frustrated with it early on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭jonski

After reading some of the above posts I though I would start by saying the below is just my opinion ;)

I bought this at the start of the lock-down on my sons recommendation ( he knows I love westerns ) . I am playing it ever since .

I loved the setting, the story, the side quests, the randomness ( fishing by a lake and seeing an eagle swoop down and grab a fish and fly away ).

I played the story missions as slow as possible because I just wanted the game to last and when I finally finished it I said I'd give the online part a go even though most had said it was ****e . I'm still playing that now .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,500 ✭✭✭✭Varik

jonski wrote: »
    After reading some of the above posts I though I would start by saying the below is just my opinion ;)

I bought this at the start of the lock-down on my sons recommendation ( he knows I love westerns ) . I am playing it ever since .

I loved the setting, the story, the side quests, the randomness ( fishing by a lake and seeing an eagle swoop down and grab a fish and fly away ).

I played the story missions as slow as possible because I just wanted the game to last and when I finally finished it I said I'd give the online part a go even though most had said it was ****e . I'm still playing that now .

Most probably haven't played it since the beta if they ever did at all, and are talking out their arses.

Big update today for online, with new content, a load of fixes to some bugs, and for story mode the weapon locker that was in RDO which allows you to remove weapons you don't use.

Varik wrote: »
    Most probably haven't played it since the beta if they ever did at all, and are talking out their arses.

Big update today for online, with new content, a load of fixes to some bugs, and for story mode the weapon locker that was in RDO which allows you to remove weapons you don't use.

:D , I was just coming back to post about that, given that it was the reason I looked for a RDO thread in here .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

jonski wrote: »
    :D , I was just coming back to post about that, given that it was the reason I looked for a RDO thread in here .

RDR2 online thread.

Jordan 199 wrote: »

Excellent , I had looked for that but my google/boards-fu must be broken . Thanks .

Advertisement