Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Red dead redemption 2

• 15-03-2020 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭

Bought this on release . Didnt really get into it. Since i bought it from the ps store online I cant trade it . I have completed the witcher 3 and assassins creed odyessy so should be able for this game. Have both sekiro and nioh 2 downloaded too but taking a break from them since im finding them too hard. they are both harder than all the dark souls games. Anyway Ive gotten past the initial linear intro and im at a loss what to do . Im in the town of valentine and there is no direction. I got some photos of some gunmen from this guy that wants to do a book and split the profits. how do i look at these photos?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,694 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Best thing to do is play a better game. It doesn't get better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Minime2.5

Retr0gamer wrote: »

really. why all the hype

• Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Minime2.5 wrote: »
    really. why all the hype

Different strokes for different folks

I loved it the whole way through and was fully immersed in the game, absolutely loved it

As for being stuck at a point, you're as well look it specifically on youtube to get an easier and better answer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

The lack of Fast Travel really killed the game for me... you got the Wagon to go to places, but needing to run back to base after every mission is a bloody chore.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭daheadonu

You could set up camp and fast travelback to base

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,131 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Yes u could turn in to cinematic view, make a cup of tea, come back and you'll be nearly at your destination

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

Amazing open world which is alone worth playing for. The missions never really grabbed me and the gameplay during them is fairly rudimentary. I finally opened up New Austin last night and tbh it was everything I hoped it would be from my RDR1 memories. The desert setting just makes the atmosphere feel properly western.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

BeerWolf wrote: »
    The lack of Fast Travel really killed the game for me... you got the Wagon to go to places, but needing to run back to base after every mission is a bloody chore.
    Fine looking wagons in the game :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 GrayFox7

daheadonu wrote: »
    You could set up camp and fast travelback to base

Yup. But nothing there tells you about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭daheadonu

Fair enough,i suppose the game wants you to immerse yourself and figure it out yourself but it's not very intuitive.

• Advertisement

Its not as good as The Witcher 3

• Registered Users Posts: 6,550 ✭✭✭Glebee

Minime2.5 wrote: »
    Its not as good as The Witcher 3

Nothing is as good as Witcher 3, but this is a decent effert in fairness.

Starting to get into this now. How do you tell the difference between a main mission and a side quest

• Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Story missions are yellow on the map, other optional missions which are sometimes time sensitive relative to the story are white on the map

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭nintendoo

I've just started into this. On the 2nd chapter.
    I expect this to be a slow burn. Gonna take my time and soak it in.
    I got an xbox one x on sale for this game ( and Ori and Forza :) ).
    So, I'm invested in this game.

I think weapon and item selection is very confusing.
    So easy to shoot someone/something by accident. But you learn quickly.
    Reading stuff like letters and journals is painful. Slow scrolling ...
    Going to study a few YouTube getting started and "things you should know about" non spoiler videos.
    I think Arthur Morgan moves too bloody slowly. But I guess he's a cowboy and saddle sore. :)

Apart from that I think the game looks and feels amazing.
    It's just dripping in atmosphere. The characters just feel real.
    This is a very difficult thing to do in a video game.
    The dialog and voice work is faultless.
    The wilderness, weather, landscapes, sky, water, snow, ... is gorgeous, awe inspiring.
    Just went under a huge suspension bridge, fog descening, train crossing the bridge.

At the moment this is free on Gamepass or < 25 quid most places. Unreal :)

Enjoying this ... Still on chapter 2 but some interesting missions including one involving a few "quiet" drinks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭micah537

Didn't realize how good of a game it was until the end. Ended up playing in again 2 weeks later, taking everything in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭clsmooth

It’s a great example of creating a living breathing world. I think RDR/GTA mission gameplay is quite dated though. It’s very linear. Gives you a task and then tells you to go to point x to do it. If you discover another way to achieve the goal and want to approach from point y instead for example, it’s an automatic fail. Problem with this is it feels quite repetitive when you’re doing over 100 missions.

My second modern open world game after BOTW. Love, love the blue skies and that incredible landscape. Yep, not as free as BOTW, but the side quests and random stranger encounters and that story and dialogue more than make up for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

This is coming from the person who said recently they got bored of TLOU II, I think they just enjoy courting controversy with these loud, brash against the grain pronunciations.

They're entitled to their opinion and of course there's no obligation for them to like any game but they should really add "in my opinion" in case people should mistake this as a commonly held view when it most certainly is not.

Any true gaming fan should recognise the outstanding achievements of games of this calibre whether they personally like them or not and not casually disrespect them for the sake of petty stage drama online.....That's just my opinion of course, but I will say that I dislike this sentiment even more than those of the of the wine, craft beer and movie snobs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,323 ✭✭✭Homelander

I know what the poster is getting at though, it's not so much about having an against the grain opinion as it is about an obvious over-exaggeration. Not agreeing or disagreeing with anyone by the way, just saying.

Genuinely, for example, I thought the original TLOU was so boring and repetitive I stopped playing.

But, I know it's generally universally acclaimed, so rather than say "The game is bad" or "it's not worth playing" or whatever, I'll just say "Yeah, it just didn't work for me, I know it's really popular but I just didn't get it at all".

Same thing came up recently on the PS5 thread, Halo was mentioned and instantly you have people claiming that the franchise isn't good, never was, and people just don't know better, etc.

Like, it's OK to not like popular movies, books, games or whatever but they're popular for a reason and in the vast majority of cases it's because they're just plain good really, so trying to convince people they're bad is a pointless exercise.

Games wise, I can't think of many mainstream games that are universally considered weak/bad but are extremely popular regardless? Mostly I would think of games that had rocky launches but went on to become good games (like Fallout 76 or No Mans Sky, etc)

Opinions will always vary in quality from the measured, astute and considered to the arrogant, opinionated and attention-seeking.

It's entirely optional what we pay any heed to.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,694 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Mango Joe wrote: »
    This is coming from the person who said recently they got bored of TLOU II, I think they just enjoy courting controversy with these loud, brash against the grain pronunciations.

They're entitled to their opinion and of course there's no obligation for them to like any game but they should really add "in my opinion" in case people should mistake this as a commonly held view when it most certainly is not.

I didn't say I got bored of TLOU2. It was my initial impressions after the opening 2 hours of the game which I will stand by by assessment that it was boring. Was not enjoying it. Since then I've played more and the game is letting me actually play it and I've said I'm starting to really enjoy it now.
    Mango Joe wrote: »
    Any true gaming fan should recognise the outstanding achievements of games of this calibre whether they personally like them or not and not casually disrespect them for the sake of petty stage drama online.....That's just my opinion of course, but I will say that I dislike this sentiment even more than those of the of the wine, craft beer and movie snobs.

Any true 'gaming fan' (whatever the hell that's supposed to be or mean) would recognise that, yes, the game has some outstanding technical achievements. However I feel they are all at the expense of the game. They are so in love with this simulation of the world that they forgot to make the game fun. When something as fundamental as moving about in the world is annoying then you have failed in your game design and it doesn't help that the missions are boring as well. Juxtapose that to say Spiderman on the PS4 (a game that isn't for me but recognise it's a well crafted game) where moving around the world is just a joy.

RDR2 is a game, not a tech demo and as a game I think it's just not fun to play and fails at being a fun game. I'm expecting retrospectives on the game about how it wasn't that good. There's been a few already about that.

I didn't say I got bored of TLOU2. It was my initial impressions after the opening 2 hours of the game which I will stand by by assessment that it was boring. Was not enjoying it. Since then I've played more and the game is letting me actually play it and I've said I'm starting to really enjoy it now.

Any true 'gaming fan' (whatever the hell that's supposed to be or mean) would recognise that, yes, the game has some outstanding technical achievements. However I feel they are all at the expense of the game. They are so in love with this simulation of the world that they forgot to make the game fun. When something as fundamental as moving about in the world is annoying then you have failed in your game design and it doesn't help that the missions are boring as well. Juxtapose that to say Spiderman on the PS4 (a game that isn't for me but recognise it's a well crafted game) where moving around the world is just a joy.

RDR2 is a game, not a tech demo and as a game I think it's just not fun to play and fails at being a fun game. I'm expecting retrospectives on the game about how it wasn't that good. There's been a few already about that.

Yeah, ok then.......
    Out tomorrow on PC. I folded and bought it. Bored to tears by Last of Us 2 so looking for something different even if I'll probably be bored to tears by this as well :D

Life's too short for this nonsense, I don't know why I'm still commenting other than to correct your revisions - I honestly think you don't see merely having an opinion as being good enough anymore- It has to be a flamboyant, hyperbolic, bombastic opinion that attracts attention and awe.

Each to their own.

Post taken out of context as I said later I had started enjoying it. I was afraid it would just be cutscenes and exposition. Opinions do change you know over the course of experiencing things but sure go ahead and pretend you think you know me over a post.

*** Deleted my own post ***

I get a lot out of Boards.ie, should be better than this pettyness.... lets move on please.

It took me a little while to warm to it, and initially I was mildly disappointed, and, being honest, bored. Did a bit of reading online though, and a lot of players suggested not getting too hung up on the whole ‘cowboy sim’ aspect of it, and just playing it like its predecessor. This I’ve done, and I’m fairly well immersed in it now. I don’t think I’ve ever bonded so much with a character as with ol’ Arthur.

Advertisement