Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reversed into a car in supermarket car park?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Orlak2410

Be grateful that it wasn't their small child behind your car while you were reversing.

Reverse in, drive out.

I wasn't reversing out of a space, we were both positioned in the lane waiting on a car to park and I reversed into the front of their car

I remember one time someone ran into the back of me. It looked absolutely minimal damage, only reason i took details was cos I was in my mams car,
    Took car to local garage that everyone goes to. Very reputable place. He opened boot n showed me the bumper was hanging on by one clip . Wed to get the whole bumper replaced.
    I felt bad cos at the moment of incident I wasnt expecting to hav to contact other party at all and then had to hit them with cost of new bumper.
    They were delighted that's all I looked for.
    What I'm saying is, sometimes the damage may not be what you initially thought It was.
    They might be like me n never intended to claim unless it was going to be a big job.
    They will contact you if they need to, a d be thankful no one was hurt and they seem decent about it so far!!

You have to bear in mind that there are people who would argue with the victim in a situation like mine and say 'ah well you were behind me you should have seen me reversing' or 'at the end of the day the front if your car collided with the back of my car so we are both at fault'

Syncpolice wrote: »
    There was a guy whose bumper cost 20k to fix, was posted here

Maybe that would be the case for a brand new or fairly new luxury car. The car I damaged was worth about 5 grand max.

I was hit before and the guy offered to pay for it. I brought it to his garage and they agreed to fix it and bill him.

Then I got super busy and didn't have a chance to book it in. Then a few weeks later it broke down with an unrelated issue and was stuck in Dublin for weeks.

I collected it and on the way home the head gasket blew.

I ended up scraping it, I went to call the guy and let him know he didn't have to fix it but I couldn't find his number do just left it.

I often wonder if he thinks about it. As there was a nice but of damage but no one was hurt so no need to take it any further.

Well fair play to you. Hopefully he was grateful.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,323 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Orlak2410 wrote: »
    I know I was in the wrong and nobody wants to find themselves in my situation. I think most people would agree that a leaving it a month isn't fair on me especially since I told the person multiple times to let me know how much it will be to get fixed.

I agree completely with you.... But unfortunately it's completely out of your hands or legitimate expectations... They really have no obligation to speed things up... Sorry....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Well I'd rather pay even a few grand and get it fixed privately then go through the insurance. Will lose my no claims and it would follow me around for years.

Let your insurers use their expertise to settle the repairs and box off any loose ends. You can then repay them to get your NCB back.

Either way, please report it to your insurers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Syncpolice

Let your insurers use their expertise to settle the repairs and box off any loose ends. You can then repay them to get your NCB back.

Either way, please report it to your insurers.

You get the NCB back but retain an accident on your record wherever u go for a quote

• Registered Users Posts: 18,930 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Maybe that would be the case for a brand new or fairly new luxury car. The car I damaged was worth about 5 grand max.

The value of the car has little to do with the cost to repair it. If it goes to insurance a €5k car will be written off and the claim will be €5k less scrap value of a hundred Euro maybe, because they quote for new parts with main dealer rates for labour. A bumper can be expensive and any damage to the safety parts will require replacing, even a back street repair could be a few grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,258 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

You have to bear in mind that there are people who would argue with the victim in a situation like mine and say 'ah well you were behind me you should have seen me reversing' or 'at the end of the day the front if your car collided with the back of my car so we are both at fault'
    and anybody who did that would be rightly laughed at

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

I had this recently - my car was rear ended at low speed.

I spoke to my insurer FBD, telling them that the other person wanted to settle directly. I was told by the FBD that you are required to always call them and notify them of any issue. Interestingly, he told me that the sales and renewal team can't see such info, they can only see claims.

Got the bumper repaired for c. 600 quid (beamer bumper). Most of this was actually paint and finish. Repairing the plastic was about 100 quid.

Had the option of getting a new bumper, but the guy in the crash repair place was clear that he could repair it and you'd never see the difference. He checked also for damage to to the chassis and all was good. New bumper would have cost about 2.5k all in and the guy who hit me was a student, didn't want to ruin his premium.

Crash repair guy mentioned he did work on a porsche recently, cost just under 20k. Said he could have repaired it for under a grand but the owner (a solicitor) said she didn't want that which is her right so all was replaced.

• Advertisement

You get the NCB back but retain an accident on your record wherever u go for a quote

But you still had an accident which must be declared to any future insurer, regardless of whether you settle it privately or not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Syncpolice

But you still had an accident which must be declared to any future insurer, regardless of whether you settle it privately or not

My point was that it's not like the accident never happened which is something to keep in mind

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭galvo_clare

Reversing in is the only way you should do it.
    See how much space you need to reverse out of a space. You can’t apply anything near full lock so you take up the whole road. You can’t see properly either and you’re joining traffic that has right if way.
    Try it. You’ll never look back. No pun intended.
    Is this a consensus opinion?

I could imagine getting.into a few prangs if I started reversing into car park spaces

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

Reversing in is the only way you should do it.
    See how much space you need to reverse out of a space. You can’t apply anything near full lock so you take up the whole road. You can’t see properly either and you’re joining traffic that has right if way.
    Try it. You’ll never look back. No pun intended.
    There are car parks now with angled spaces you can only drive in to. Liffey valley shopping centre is one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

pablo128 wrote: »
    There are car parks now with angled spaces you can only drive in to. Liffey valley shopping centre is one of them.

and my mind absolutely boggles when I see people reverse into them, its a one way system in that car park and they reverse in it...

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭galvo_clare

I know and I hate them. Sometimes for pig iron I’ll reverse into them.
    They could be angled the other way to make it easy to reverse in and that’s the way it should be.
    I visited Ardnacrusha power station and they insisted that all visitors and staff reverse into the space. Notices everywhere and I was even told by the security guard. It really is safer.
    pablo128 wrote: »

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

I know and I hate them. Sometimes for pig iron I’ll reverse into them.
    They could be angled the other way to make it easy to reverse in and that’s the way it should be.
    I visited Ardnacrusha power station and they insisted that all visitors and staff reverse into the space. Notices everywhere and I was even told by the security guard. It really is safer.

You'd be the first to complain if someone took lumps out of your car while pushing a loaded shopping trolley past it to fill their boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Gooser14

I'm with Allianz and it is a requirement to notify them of an accident. The wording is "you must tell us if ............".

Have a good read of AXA's Claims Conditions and come back go me on that

This is the text from the AXA car insurance booklet:

"6. Claims procedure
    If there is an accident, you must immediately
    do whatever you can to protect the car and its
    accessories. You or your legal representative
    must give us full details by phoning the claims
    helpline (1890 24 7 365 or 003531 8583200)
    within 48 hours, after any event which could
    lead to a claim under this policy. There may be
    circumstances where we need other details in
    writing. You must also immediately send us any
    letters and documents you receive in connection
    with the event without replying to them."

You will see that they must be given full details within 48 hours after any event that could lead to a claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Gooser14 wrote: »
    This is the text from the AXA car insurance booklet:

"6. Claims procedure
    If there is an accident, you must immediately
    do whatever you can to protect the car and its
    accessories. You or your legal representative
    must give us full details by phoning the claims
    helpline (1890 24 7 365 or 003531 8583200)
    within 48 hours, after any event which could
    lead to a claim under this policy. There may be
    circumstances where we need other details in
    writing. You must also immediately send us any
    letters and documents you receive in connection
    with the event without replying to them."

You will see that they must be given full details within 48 hours after any event that could lead to a claim.

This is a legal discussion. Where does it state that the insurance would be void if you did not mention a minor accident that you did not expect a claim from.

That was what was said and I call that as not true.

I still stand by that. Not notifying your insurance of an accident does not nullify your policy

• Advertisement

silver2020 wrote: »
    This is a legal discussion. Where does it state that the insurance would be void if you did not mention a minor accident that you did not expect a claim from.

I still stand by that. Not notifying your insurance of an accident does not nullify your policy

It doesn't void your insurance, it allows your insurers to refuse indemnity under contract. This means they can refuse to pay for your own damage and gives your insurers the right to recover any outlay they are obliged to pay a 3rd party under the Road Traffic A

Breach of contract is a legal discussion I would have thought and you did say it was not a condition of your policy

AXA General Conditions
    "We will only provide the insurance described in
    this policy if:
    ▶ the information you gave on your statement
    of fact or proposal form and declaration is
    correct and complete; and
    ▶ you or anyone claiming protection has kept to
    all its conditions.

If you do not keep to them, we may cancel the
    policy or refuse to deal with your claim or reduce
    the amount of any claim we pay."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭seagull

I would strongly suggest that anyone this ignorant about insurance policies and the requirements should avoid commenting on the subject.

Advertisement