Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reversed into a car in supermarket car park?

Options
  • 15-03-2020 1:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭

Hi guys, I reversed into a car in a supermarket car park while my car and the other persons car were both in a queue of traffic waiting on a car to park. It was a stupid thing to do but I was in a hurry and my mind was elsewhere. There was minimal damage to their car (the bumper was a little bit scuffed up). They were nice about it and we agreed that I would get it fixed for them. They told me that they would get a quote and get back to me in the coming days. Two weeks later they contacted me saying they would get a quote and contact me in the next day or two. Now another two weeks has past and I still haven't heard anything from them. What should I do now? I kind of feel like I'm being messed around with and it has been bothering me wondering what is going to happen. Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,029 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Don't do anything - they may just leave it. What are you thinking of doing: forcing them into claiming off you?

Incidentally did you get some photos of the damage?

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Orlak2410

Don't do anything - they may just leave it. What are you thinking of doing: forcing them into claiming off you?

Incidentally did you get some photos of the damage?

Yeah well that's why I have let them get onto me and not me getting onto them but what if they get onto me a month after the fact saying they brought it to a main dealer and got a new bumper and it ends up costing a fortune or what if they decide that they're neck is injured and want to file a personal injury claim?
    What are the time limits after an accident that you have to do these things?

Have you informed your insurance company of the incident? Maybe for your own reassurance, do so.

Have you informed your insurance company of the incident? Maybe for your own reassurance, do so.

It seems too petty to lose my no claims bonus over it.

It's not a claim. You're letting them know in case the other driver submits a PI claim.
    Incidentally, they can get the car fixed in a main dealer if they wish and you can't say no.

• Advertisement

Incidentally, they can get the car fixed in a main dealer if they wish and you can't say no.[/quote]

Is a month after it happened not too late to for them to expect me to get their car fixed? Anything could have happened to the car in the meantime that they could blame on me.
    Don't get me wrong if they contacted me with a reasonable price to get it fixed I would have no problem but they are taking the piss leaving it a month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

They don't even have to get the car fixed. They could go to a main dealer for a quote and you have to pay. They could leave the bumper as is if they want, and there's nothing you can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

It's not a claim. You're letting them know in case the other driver submits a PI claim.
    Incidentally, they can get the car fixed in a main dealer if they wish and you can't say no.

I would not do it - even a possible claim would lead to immediate rise in your insurance and inability to look elsewhere.

There was no claim of injury at the time, damage minimal.

I'd forget it until they get back to me. - if they get back

pablo128 wrote: »
    They don't even have to get the car fixed. They could go to a main dealer for a quote and you have to pay. They could leave the bumper as is if they want, and there's nothing you can do.

There must be a time limit after an incident that you have to take action. Most things have time limits.

silver2020 wrote: »
    I would not do it - even a possible claim would lead to immediate rise in your insurance and inability to look elsewhere.

There was no claim of injury at the time, damage minimal.

I'd forget it until they get back to me. - if they get back

Yeah I am leaving it but hypothetically I'm wondering how long after an incident do you have to take action be it for property damage or personal injury? Bearing in mind that they didn't contact the police or ask for my insurance details.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Tordelback

Orlak2410 wrote: »
    There must be a time limit after an incident that you have to take action. Most things have time limits.

Not informal personal agreements.

Put it out of your mind, pay the money if/when they ask - if it's too much, make a counter offer. If it's way too much, as in worse than the likely hit to your NCB, let your insurance handle it.

Tordelback wrote: »
    Not informal personal agreements.

Put it out of your mind, pay the money if/when they ask - if it's too much, make a counter offer. If it's way too much, as in worse than the likely hit to your NCB, let your insurance handle it.

Yeah I don't mind paying a reasonable cost to get it fixed. The damage was minimal so I can't imagine it being too much. Although it was my fault I still don't think it seems fair leaving it a month to contact me if they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

I would let Insurance know about it. If no claim... then advise Insurance to update your file.

Whiplash could com3 down the line in15 months... and the Insurance co could leave u stuck with a €38k personal injuries claim. Better be safe

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Similar thing happened to me in a garage years ago. Like the op it was my fault. I tried to reverse back behind a petrol pump and hit a car which was entering the garage forecourt.

Minimal damage and we both exchanged details, rang the gardai, and they said they wouldn't get involved as a civil matter on private property but they would send out a car to check we were both insured etc. We both agreed that there was no need. I said that I would pay for repairs etc.
    Move on two months and PMPA get in touch with me asking why I admitted liability, why I didn't report to them and a load of other questions. The other party had gone off, reported the accident to her insurance company and 'elaborated' the extent of the damage. It was pre mobile phone camera days so her word was accepted.
    Pretty hefty increase in my premium the following renewal.
    The op should report it to his insurance company.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Tordelback

Yeah I don't mind paying a reasonable cost to get it fixed. The damage was minimal so I can't imagine it being too much. Although it was my fault I still don't think it seems fair leaving it a month to contact me if they do.

Definitely not fair, and you're clearly a decent skin to still be thinking about it at all. However, many people are under a huge amount of mental stress these past weeks, and its only rising, so I've adopted a policy of cutting everyone some slack as regards rudeness and thoughtlessness.

I commented because my own feisty elderly mother had her parked car badly whacked in a supermarket carpark the other week (not by Orlak2410!), and was fuming and gunning to find the sleeveen who drove-off via Tesco's security cameras, calling the Guards, getting multiple quotes, you name it. Now she's locked into her house with my frail father with us delivering their groceries, and oddly hasn't mentioned it for days.

Something like that may be happening to almost anyone, and scrapes on the bumper long forgotten.

Masala wrote: »
    I would let Insurance know about it. If no claim... then advise Insurance to update your file.

Whiplash could com3 down the line in15 months... and the Insurance co could leave u stuck with a €38k personal injuries claim. Better be safe

I'm no solicitor but it stands to reason that if you want to file a personal injury claim a year or two down the line then the accident would have had to have been documented when it happened. Don't both parties have an obligation to report an accident.

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Similar thing happened to me in a garage years ago. Like the op it was my fault. I tried to reverse back behind a petrol pump and hit a car which was entering the garage forecourt.

Minimal damage and we both exchanged details, rang the gardai, and they said they wouldn't get involved as a civil matter on private property but they would send out a car to check we were both insured etc. We both agreed that there was no need. I said that I would pay for repairs etc.
    Move on two months and PMPA get in touch with me asking why I admitted liability, why I didn't report to them and a load of other questions. The other party had gone off, reported the accident to her insurance company and 'elaborated' the extent of the damage. It was pre mobile phone camera days so her word was accepted.
    Pretty hefty increase in my premium the following renewal.
    The op should report it to his insurance company.

This is what I'm worried about. People can come across as decent in person but then when they have time to think about it and see an opprtunity to make a few Bob they show they're true colours and don't care about the consequences to you. Money is the root of all evil.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭feelgoodinc27

Yeah I am leaving it but hypothetically I'm wondering how long after an incident do you have to take action be it for property damage or personal injury? Bearing in mind that they didn't contact the police or ask for my insurance details.
    I think you have two years to make a claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

This is what I'm worried about. People can come across as decent in person but then when they have time to think about it and see an opprtunity to make a few Bob they show they're true colours and don't care about the consequences to you. Money is the root of all evil.

Two thing I learned that day.
    Always look behind you when reversing and always report it to your insurance company.

Tordelback wrote: »
    Definitely not fair, and you're clearly a decent skin to still be thinking about it at all. However, many people are under a huge amount of mental stress these past weeks, and its only rising, so I've adopted a policy of cutting everyone some slack as regards rudeness and thoughtlessness.

I commented because my own feisty elderly mother had her parked car badly whacked in a supermarket carpark the other week (not by Orlak2410!), and was fuming and gunning to find the sleeveen who drove-off via Tesco's security cameras, calling the Guards, getting multiple quotes, you name it. Now she's locked into her house with my frail father with us delivering their groceries, and oddly hasn't mentioned it for days.

Something like that may be happening to almost anyone, and scrapes on the bumper long forgotten.

Yeah I suppose you're right. I would have just rathered to have it nipped in the bud in a few days after it happened. I'm just concerned that they are up to something and are fobbing me off until it completed like what happened to that other commentor in the petrol station.

• Advertisement

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Two thing I learned that day.
    Always look behind you when reversing and always report it to your insurance company.

I looked in one wing mirror and my rear view mirror and it was clear with the way their car was positiined.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

Don't both parties have an obligation to report an accident.

That’s what I am saying.

Had involvement in a situation whereby a Consultant signed off on a claimant that his soft tissue damage ‘could have’ been caused by earlier tip 12 months earlier and the claimant started a claim in PIAB for €38k. Not over yet ... and it’s well messy trying to get CCTV, statements etc at this stage which the claimant knows... hence the delay in bring8 g the claim. There are some right Cnts out there playing the system. Solicitors helping them are as bad

• Registered Users Posts: 18,922 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

You have no choice in how much you pay. They can get a quote from a main dealer and even low speed crashes can damage the crumble zone in a car.

My sister was recently the other side of a similar incident. She got a few quotes and a deal for the hire car and sent them on to the other person. They started taking the proverbial saying a buddy could do it etc. In the end she went through the insurance and the bill tripled.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

As advised by a Garda before to me after something similar, You are under no legal obligation to report it to your insurance if there are no injuries and if you are sorting it out between yourselves.

gman2k wrote: »
    As advised by a Garda before to me after something similar, You are under no legal obligation to report it to your insurance if there are no injuries and if you are sorting it out between yourselves.
    I know. However, in Dec 2018 I rear ended a taxi at low speed. When we spoke he said he was fine. There was no damage and everything was cool. A month later and the gardai want my insurance details to pass onto him. There's a PI claim in progress currently. I've no idea what exactly he's claiming but I told my insurer that it was highly likely to be a bogus claim, a line that they're actively pursuing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

it is a condition of your policy that you report it, not doing so can leave you with no cover.
    It won't hurt your policy unless the third party claims against it.

I know. However, in Dec 2018 I rear ended a taxi at low speed. When we spoke he said he was fine. There was no damage and everything was cool. A month later and the gardai want my insurance details to pass onto him. There's a PI claim in progress currently. I've no idea what exactly he's claiming but I told my insurer that it was highly likely to be a bogus claim, a line that they're actively pursuing.

Unfortunately a lot of people are sly like that. Instead of doing the decent thing they'd have no problem in screwing you.

Unfortunately a lot of people are sly like that. Instead of doing the decent thing they'd have no problem in screwing you.

Thanks everyone for the advice. Hopefully if I do hear back from them it will be a reasonable price and that will be it over and done with.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

gman2k wrote: »

Mod
    Do not rely on that advice, check your policy obligations

• Advertisement

nuac wrote: »

Mod
    Do not rely on that advice, check your policy obligations

I think you are technically suppose to report every accident but most reasonable people (and guards) know you're better off just sorting out a minor accident unofficially.

Advertisement