Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clerical Officer 2020

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭tinofapples

Laura99 wrote: »
    It's not a bad salary scale for entry level work.

Suppose that depends on where you're located or looking to be placed or at what stage you are in your life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

The_Brood wrote: »
    It's sick how little money they offer. Have they no shame? How are people especially in Dublin supposed to survive on such salaries? You'd think the government at least would look to match the salaries they offer, even for lower positions, with the costs of living. Does anyone in this country care for non-high paid workers?

Its standard entry level pay for entry level workers, unfortunately there is no "premium" just because it's a State job.
    And for the first year you are on probation anyway, with a PMDS style meeting with your HEO every 90 days...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

The_Brood wrote: »
    It's sick how little money they offer. Have they no shame? How are people especially in Dublin supposed to survive on such salaries? You'd think the government at least would look to match the salaries they offer, even for lower positions, with the costs of living. Does anyone in this country care for non-high paid workers?

The rate of remuneration is clearly set out from the start. If people are not happy with it, then they should not apply. You also have to take into consideration that it increases each year and you are pretty much guaranteed a job going forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,083 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Its standard entry level pay for entry level workers, unfortunately there is no "premium" just because it's a State job.
    And for the first year you are on probation anyway, with a PMDS style meeting with your HEO every 90 days...

Actually there is a premium, but you don't get it until you've been there for a few years and are earning far more than anywhere else would pay for basic clerical work, with excellent job security.

How does anyone live on the money: house-sharing, and having a 2nd job at night and/or the weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭tinofapples

Got the message on my message board regarding the online questionnaire, it's to be completed by 30th March, shorter time frame than previous campaigns if i remember correctly (I may be wrong).

• Registered Users Posts: 13 I wonder why?

Got the message on my message board regarding the online questionnaire, it's to be completed by 30th March, shorter time frame than previous campaigns if i remember correctly (I may be wrong).

Same here. Familiarisation material also sent which is worth using and practicing with before doing the assessment. Again best of luck to everyone ðŸ‘

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Calathea

Same here. Familiarisation material also sent which is worth using and practicing with before doing the assessment. Again best of luck to everyone ðŸ‘

I haven't received a link yet. Am in Galway. Wonder are they contacting Dublin applicants first?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Belle23

Calathea wrote: »
    I haven't received a link yet. Am in Galway. Wonder are they contacting Dublin applicants first?

I am in Clare and got the message

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Calathea wrote: »

I'm in Louth and didn't get it either, maybe they are doing it in batches?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 Laura99

Just got the message now, in Kildare. Good Luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 116 ✭✭mamaz

In Kerry and got it

mamaz wrote: »
    In Kerry and got it

Can I ask, do you get an email along with the message?

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭jackreacher

Got the message based in Kerry, don't see the additional familiarisation info though

Received a text saying I had a new message on public jobs. Completed the questionnaire.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Newlymarried

Received a text saying I had a new message on public jobs. Completed the questionnaire.

How did you find the ten multiple choice questions

They were ok but some were hard to know what they were looking for

• Advertisement

How did you find the ten multiple choice questions

They were ok but sum were hard to know what they were looking for

I found them okay. Didn't read too much into them. Just answered honestly.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭foreverme

is it similar to the tco assessment questionnaire? Thanks.

pconn062 wrote: »
    Can I ask, do you get an email along with the message?

Yep I did anyways

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Got the message based in Kerry, don't see the additional familiarisation info though

I didn't see it either. Is this a timed test or just routine questions with multiple choice to see if you are suitable?

foreverme wrote: »
    is it similar to the tco assessment questionnaire? Thanks.

Yes it is.

• Advertisement

jaffa20 wrote: »
    I didn't see it either. Is this a timed test or just routine questions with multiple choice to see if you are suitable?

Not timed. Just multiple choice questions. Pretty standard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 89 ✭✭oopsies

What's the starting salary on this again? Minds gone blank :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39 BlueCorra

oopsies wrote: »
    What's the starting salary on this again? Minds gone blank :D

24,104 (461.96) – 25,681 (492.18) – 26,083 (499.85) – 26,864 (514.83) – 28,017 (536.93) – 29,167 (558.99) – 30,319 (581.05) – 31,157 (597.11) – 32,105 (615.29) – 33,209 (636.43) – 33,986 (651.32) – 35,078 (672.24) – 36,162 (693.04) – 37,855 (725.48) – LSI 1 39,186 (750.99) – LSI 2 39,796 (762.68)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Got the text last night, so doing the questionnaire now.

Yes, the starting pay isn't great and would be quite the pay cut for many people, however the long term benefits and pay scale is quite good. If you're looking to become rich, it's not going to happen, however if you're looking for a long term job with good benefits and far easier to be accepted for a mortgage, you're sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Ace of Hearts

Newbie to the CO process so just wondering how soon they'll start to hire once the assessment stage is complete?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 193 ✭✭PinkLady2016

I found the questionnaire a bit tricky but then again I think thats the way they designed it to test people

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Hurdig

Newbie to the CO process so just wondering how soon they'll start to hire once the assessment stage is complete?

There is an interview stage next depending on where you get placed on assessment. When you pass interview you are offered a position. This depends on when a Department is looking for staff, could be quick placement or a few months. Believe there are a few hundred retiring from many different departments. Under present conditions it could be a while before interviews take place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭podge3

Is there any practice material available? It says there is a link for same but I can't see it😕

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭dublingirlx

podge3 wrote: »
    Is there any practice material available? It says there is a link for same but I can't see it😕

Just before you start the live questionnaire there is a familiarization questionnaire with practice questions for you to do. Best of luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭podge3

Just before you start the live questionnaire there is a familiarization questionnaire with practice questions for you to do. Best of luck.
    Cheers, thanks 👍

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

Do you have to give them your CV at all?

Next stage is interview, is CV asked for in questionnaire?

Just did the questionaire there, a few head scratchers in there, especially in the scenarios. Very easy to doubt yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

What would be the story if you took a c.o job , but got a better govt job a month or two later ? I've applied for a few govt jobs, but several months go by without hearing anything, you just dont know where your break will come, out of the blue, or mightnt come at all. Just dont want to ever mess anyone around.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 SolidAir010

How will interviews be dealt with now ? With the Covid19 restrictions the PAS website said all face to face interviews are postponed until further notice . Maybe Skype interview?

How will interviews be dealt with now ? With the Covid19 restrictions the PAS website said all face to face interviews are postponed until further notice . Maybe Skype interview?

Skype could be a viable option.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Veee doneagal lass

Just done the questionnaire pretty straightforward but some questions were out there 🙄

I find myself answering what is the worst case and the best case and then just fill the other two in from there. You don't know if you want to be an office snitch or if you're helping!

I find myself answering what is the worst case and the best case and then just fill the other two in from there. You don't know if you want to be an office snitch or if you're helping!

I can remember similar questions in the tco competition. Still dont know what the right answer is

• Registered Users Posts: 5,116 ✭✭✭job seeker

What would be the story if you took a c.o job , but got a better govt job a month or two later ? I've applied for a few govt jobs, but several months go by without hearing anything, you just dont know where your break will come, out of the blue, or mightnt come at all. Just dont want to ever mess anyone around.

I'd keep applying for anything that gains your interest whether it's government or county council. If you accept the county council job, all good. Then if something better comes along take that. It's your life at the end of the day. Leaving a job is never anything to be taken personally anyway. You won't be messing anyone around, by doing what's best for you.

• Advertisement

job seeker wrote: »
    I'd keep applying for anything that gains your interest whether it's government or county council. If you accept the county council job, all good. Then if something better comes along take that. It's your life at the end of the day. Leaving a job is never anything to be taken personally anyway. You won't be messing anyone around, by doing what's best for you.

Ya, your right. I've been self employed and in the private sector for last 20 years, so have always been straight wherever I worked. I suppose it's the applying for public jobs and waiting 6 or 12 months to hear back is the frustrating part. But all these things tend to work themselves out for the best in the end.

Imagine the person scoring these questionnaires and being like “snitches get stitches”.. :pac:

Ya, your right. I've been self employed and in the private sector for last 20 years, so have always been straight wherever I worked. I suppose it's the applying for public jobs and waiting 6 or 12 months to hear back is the frustrating part. But all these things tend to work themselves out for the best in the end.

Fair play! Working for someone else is pretty simple, just give reasonable amount of notice when leaving a job, normally outlined in your contract. That’s pretty much it! What career you decide is your choice.

But, it is a long enough wait. You’re correct about them working out for the best in the end though! Even if you don’t get something now, there are always lessons to be learned and experience gained! Not to mention many opportunities in the future.. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 973 ✭✭✭November Golf

Public Jobs have updated their website:

https://publicjobs.ie/en/covid19/candidates
    Upcoming Key Recruitment Activity
    Clerical Officer 2020

• The Stage 1 Online Assessment Questionnaire is live from Friday 27th March until 1pm on Monday, 30th March 2020 as planned.
    • Stage 2 Interviews are expected to take place in mid-late April. Full details will issue in advance.
    • The email address for the CO 2020 is CO2020@publicjobs.ie
    Will i need to attend chapter house for any part of a recruitment process?

No. Until further notice there will be no requirement to attend our premises in Dublin city centre. By utilising the full range of advanced technologies and methodologies we have at our disposal, we will be conducting the process in new ways that will not require you to attend Chapter House.
    How will interviews take place?

For a number of years we have been examining and using a range of new and leading edge technologies to support different parts of our recruitment process. Some of these have included different types of eg ‘video based’ interviews. With the onset COVID-19, we are in a position to quickly and seamlessly introduce new ways of conducting interview. If you are being called forward for interview, we will inform you in advance as to the format of that interview so that you can get ready and help you to perform to your best. It’s also worth following our social media channels for other tips and advice on how to perform to your best.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭MintyMagnum

Tried to get into questionnaire only some of it displays on phone No wifi where I'm staying Argh!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,421 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Tried to get into questionnaire only some of it displays on phone No wifi where I'm staying Argh!!

Use your phone as a wifi hotspot maybe.

Go into settings,data, mobile hotspot and tethering.

Turn it on and on your laptop/tablet device, connect to the phone through that and the password listed on your phone at that screen.

Should get you out of a hole if you need it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭MintyMagnum

Thanks for that Rikand you're a star!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 SolidAir010

Public Jobs have updated their website:

https://publicjobs.ie/en/covid19/candidates

Good info thanks ðŸ‘

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Is there opportunities for promotion?

Is there a way into revenue through being a CO?

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Sweetiesloth

Thank you for this very informative information regarding CO competition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,421 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

mikeym wrote: »
    Is there opportunities for promotion?

Is there a way into revenue through being a CO?

Dont know about the revenue but there does seem to be an aging workforce in the civil service and a good number of them are set to retire in the next couple of years. There should be good opportunities to promote over the next couple of years either through internal or external competitions

• Advertisement
Advertisement