Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heating oil big drop

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,830 ✭✭✭jeffk

I asked electrican before and said its cheaper heating water then boiling a kettle (you would need 2-3 fills for dinner delph), so thats what we do, three times a day and if its hot for washing hands etc then its a bonus

• Registered Users Posts: 12,484 ✭✭✭✭Varik

About 10kwh of heat in a litre of Kerosene, so 14cent per kwh or thereabouts. Compared to electricity which would be double that now. Night rate is comparable to using kerosene but you might be able to use it more efficiently as if getting a late/early shower you're only going to have the electric shower just enough rather than having to heat the tank for 1hr or might be better using the last of the hot water in tank if you'd didn't need to top it up etc.

Heat pumps at temps to give decent efficiency would be a bit better than kerosene currently and better still if using night rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,830 ✭✭✭jeffk

We have a retro fitted Evohome system and just about have it right, whatever clowns put it in for ESB did a lot wrong and hot water tempature use to be like picking lotto numbers to get it too match what we set it too (controls beside each other and shouldnt an then sensor too low in tank)

I looked and night rate goes till 8am in winter and 9am in summer, so I have it on for 7am for a hour, then 30 minutes at lunch and a hour for dinner, sadly the Evohome system is basic so its 6 triggers only (so basically pick 3 windows for hot water)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,401 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

Thread title needs work!!!

I've always gotten great advice on Boards over the years.

So, with the aid of your foresight, cunning and best judgement...What is the concensus right now, should I order 1300 litres of Kero for next September to May??

Are prices going to level/drop/skyrocket?!

Very importantly..... Are the Knackers going to be out again drilling tanks and robbing people blind again.This is huge for me as my Neighbour was hit a few years back. High prices brings this crap back doesn't it?

Also what utter Ar53holes are buying robbed home heating oil anyhow?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,187 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Crude oil prices were the lowest for 3 weeks at the weekend, not sure how many weeks this will take to filter down to your local supplier. There's so many unknowns out there and possible madness that if it was me I'd buy 650 now and 650 in September rather than 1300 now. In reality nobody knows but by September the alternatives should be on stream and some degree of security back.

Oil tanks were being robbed of oil when it was less than half the current price, I'm sure it's still a target for thieves sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭Villa05

• Registered Users Posts: 45,823 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Prices seen to have risen (again) in the last week or so. County wide prices jumped by about 100 Euro per thousand litres. Across the border the price went up from 1.17 to 1.25 Euro a litre.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,484 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Crude prices are only part of it, still there's refinery capacity limits.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,864 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Agri diesel is back from a high last week of 1.58 to 1.52 today and wholesale prices seem to be back again a bit this week so should that filter into a small drop again for next week .Imo July will be probably be the best time to order as we head towards winter again ,look it was 90cent/litre before any war so anything up around 1.30 to 1.40 now is value

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭Villa05

Plus euro:dollar

I'm roughly 2/3 full, and expecting a proper stock market crash later in the year, a crash brings down the price of everything, that may present a window of opportunity to stock up at a much lower price. That window will be short but keep an eye out for it. They usually happen in the autumn winter, but markets are so volatile, it could happen anytime.

Edit

Looking at solid fuel burners as a back up plan

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Bought 500l a few weeks ago at 708. It's now 773.

It will see me through the winter with What I had.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭macvin

Euro dollar and refining margins are probably of more importance than oil price.

Refining margins for diesel and kero are back over $65.

The hope is that more capacity comes from Asia and starts to cool the price.

The dollar also just may have turned according to some financial commentators and weaken. The US gov would like to see it drop as it's making US goods very expensive. You also have mid term elections coming and that will concentrate US minds on energy prices.

I'm not a heating oil user, but looking at and researching the fuel market since earlier this year, my relatively novice opinion is that prices will start to drop over the next few weeks due to a combination of events.

By how much is a million dollar question though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭kindalen

Seems to be dropping a bit, wonder will price drops continue for few weeks?

500L of kero on corriboil website showing as €690 at the moment, fairly sure that was over €850 not so long ago

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Paid 707 for 500l a month ago and predictably it's drops.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,316 ✭✭✭naughto

Will the budget do anything for it surly to f1uck it has to

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

I wouldn't hold my breath. Government policy is to move away from oil. Was looking at something yesterday child benefit in 2008 was €26 higher per month or in the case of a household with 2 children €624 higher a year. That €620 would be a nice buffer against current fuel prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭wassie

Prices are back to where they were at start of June.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Oil prices are starting to slide on the international market as fears of a recession and that a global economic slow down will hobble demand. Oil slid to under 100 dollars a barrel this week in the US, first time since the start of May.

Not sure to what degree or when/if it will filter through to consumers but might be hope of lower prices coming down the track.

• Advertisement

They recently cut the duty on diesel and petrol but there was no cut at the forecourts, they also gave a €200 electricity bill credit a few weeks before the billing companies upped their prices so due to corporate greed I'd say there will be targeted interventions rather than a general cut

Our local oil supplier has dropped the price of 1,000 litres by €50, to €1,350. I want to order oil before I go on unpaid leave, just trying to suss out when the best time to order might be!

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭avud

I'm sure they will take their time passing on any reduction in oil prices to the consumers, they don't be long passing on the increase in price however

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭SnuggyBear

This seems like it could be the best time to buy? I'm thinking of buying some now that might get me through the winter. If it drops more I will buy a little bit more that will definitely get me through.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,187 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The Euro to Dollar is killing things, below parity today, back in December it was circa $1.12 for a Euro.

Antedotely, the first week of August is the time to "bite"......... the rate of exchange to the dollar is a big variable at moment.....I'm hoping we'll see €1250 per 1000ltrs by start August....... / still a lot but that's the 'go' of it for 2022

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭waxmelts2000

Is there another carbon tax increase due in August? My neighbour bought kerosene this week as he thinks there is

I'm trying to hold off for a while if I can

Fairly sure the carbon tax increase was brought in on the 1st of June but it coincided with a drop in VAT on utilities bills which I think is due to expire in August

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭hunter2000

It will be under the € a litre in another month. Greed and gouging and that virtue signalling is catching up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Buffman

It's already around 1€/l for 1000l delivered up in NI, shows how much we're getting shafted by around €350 per 1000l. (Cheapest in Dublin today for 1000l is around €1.36/l)

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

Advertisement