Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Fuel prices - Coronavirus

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,767 ✭✭✭CoBo55

marcos_94 wrote: »
    I was in Cork city over the weekend and petrol was 143.9 (cheapest i saw) vs 143.9 up the road from me here in Dublin. Where do you get petrol at 133.9? Ill be frequenting there more often when im down!

133.9 /123.9 in bunclody.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭Field east

mikeecho wrote: »
    Home heating oil Kero has dropped about 15% in a month or so.

Petrol near me has dropped from 1.459 to 1.379.
    Diesel down from 1.339 to 128.9.

Three pumps from Johnstown to Urlingford range from 120.9 to 124.9 for diesel. Petrol is circa 10 cent more. This is the case for the past few days.
    Anyone know if all diesel at the pumps is the same quality and if not then what are the differences.
    It’s of interest that the price of fuel, it’s primary source and the various ways it makes itself to the fuel pumps throughout the nation has never caught the imagination of the various media groups. Look how the trolly count is tracked almost daily and trotted out when it suits an agenda. Likewise with the homeless and the rough sleepers. Also who are behind the various suppliers at the pump. Eg Texaco, shell, Inver, Total, Topaz. Is the name franchised out or what?

Field east wrote: »
    Three pumps from Johnstown to Urlingford range from 120.9 to 124.9 for diesel. Petrol is circa 10 cent more. This is the case for the past few days.
    Anyone know if all diesel at the pumps is the same quality and if not then what are the differences.
    It’s of interest that the price of fuel, it’s primary source and the various ways it makes itself to the fuel pumps throughout the nation has never caught the imagination of the various media groups. Look how the trolly count is tracked almost daily and trotted out when it suits an agenda. Likewise with the homeless and the rough sleepers. Also who are behind the various suppliers at the pump. Eg Texaco, shell, Inver, Total, Topaz. Is the name franchised out or what?

Urlingford... It took me a few minutes!! The car I'm driving now there's no difference in performance etc between different brands.
    Ha ha you changed it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Home heating is down, I was holding out strong but had to order, cheapest I have got it for a while 595 for 1000 ltrs

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Home heating is down, I was holding out strong but had to order, cheapest I have got it for a while 595 for 1000 ltrs

That's good, the Wexford cartel are holding strong at 625 for 1000.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

CoBo55 wrote: »
    That's good, the Wexford cartel are holding strong at 625 for 1000.

Tuesday is price change day in the fuel world. I'd try and hold out for two weeks and then stock up for next winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

They were talking about fuel prices on the radio earlier but I didn’t catch it all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Darc19 wrote: »
    Tuesday is price change day in the fuel world. I'd try and hold out for two weeks and then stock up for next winter.

If you use cheapest oil you can see when they updated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Fuel prices will go back up once all the hand sanitizers are sold out, next best thing is a drop of petrol. Smelly and flammable yes, ok you might get set alight, but an effective barrier against corona nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,772 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Gael23 wrote: »
    They were talking about fuel prices on the radio earlier but I didn’t catch it all

Paul Summerville who deals the market was saying lowest price since first Gulf War, however he believes Trump will have a word with his buddies, the Saudis, and prices should rise again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭TheBody

Why Tuesday's?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

What a time to be an ICE driver, long may it continue.

Was it last year , Apple green in clonskeah had petrol for 118 Litre not even close to that yet

• Registered Users Posts: 15,504 ✭✭✭✭vectra

january 2016 in Urlingford.

12552937_10205428147287487_4706088291267231873_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_sid=110474&_nc_ohc=PtmOto7qOw8AX_G070z&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=c8825645ce6b3e33d2ab631721f6c6eb&oe=5E92E6E5

Resulting mpg after refuelling the Passat on that same trip to Swords. :cool:

12523897_10205428147767499_5783881210039038554_n.jpg?_nc_cat=109&_nc_sid=110474&_nc_ohc=s1-1kFxplLEAX-9u_VN&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=2b6f3865a1e27cbf9b47b618b3d7b221&oe=5EA61AD4

Ironically I refuelled at the same station sometime in 2018 in the Mondeo and it knocked the hell out of the mpg immediately during the run.
    So consistency of quality might not be the best there.

TheBody wrote: »
    Why Tuesday's?

Prices set on Monday by distributors, deliveries made Tuesday and Wednesday.

Heating oil seems to be under €600 for 1,000 litres in many places.
    I'd expect this to drop to under 550 in 2 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Northernsoul

Prices set on Monday by distributors, deliveries made Tuesday and Wednesday.

Heating oil seems to be under €600 for 1,000 litres in many places.
    I'd expect this to drop to under 550 in 2 weeks.

No need to wait 2 weeks. I paid 48c per litre today in Donegal - so €480

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

vectra wrote: »
    jIronically I refuelled at the same station sometime in 2018 in the Mondeo and it knocked the hell out of the mpg immediately during the run.
    So consistency of quality might not be the best there.

DPF regen kicked in soon after the refuel? On my Sprinter the fuel consumption increases by approx. 20 percent when the regen is happening for maybe 20 kilometers at the time. And this happens normally roughly once per tankful but sometimes once in a while a tankful of fuel slips through without a single regen cycle.

On the Merc you can hear a change in exhaust note and a whistling sound when the DPF regen is happening.

Either they are selling at a loss or it is coming from across the border (lower vat 5% v 13.5% and no carbon tax)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

With flights being halted I think we can soon expect oil prices to freefall

• Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Gael23 wrote: »
    With flights being halted I think we can soon expect oil prices to freefall

Russia has said that it can survive on $25 oil, and they're in a financial war with OPEC since they left OPEC+ this month.

https://oilprice.com/Latest-Energy-News/World-News/Russia-Can-Live-With-25-Oil-For-Years.html

BTW .. the carbon tax on Kero is kicking in on 1st May, that'll add 2c/l

https://www.thejournal.ie/budget-carbon-tax-4842117-Oct2019/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Will they deliver to the south west?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

mikeecho wrote: »
    BTW .. the carbon tax on Kero is kicking in on 1st May, that'll add 2c/l

https://www.thejournal.ie/budget-carbon-tax-4842117-Oct2019/

I am purposely holding out buying until the prices appear to have floored, but will make a point of ordering before May 1st just to avoid that scam tax. They can go flip for at least one year/winter season.

Just bear in mind that some people are storing fuel, they believe that fuel shortages might happen due to covid19.

If such shortages were to happen, I don't think Jonny will be driving his home heating oil truck, he'll be at home sick.

If /when it looks like the virus is exploding in your area.. fill up

• Registered Users Posts: 15,504 ✭✭✭✭vectra

samih wrote: »
    DPF regen kicked in soon after the refuel? .

Nope.
    It dropped from 50 ish mpg to 43 on identical runs.
    It took several fills to get it back up again.
    Strange one.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,108 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

You'll always have a money loving John willing to drive his van anywhere for a few quid.

It's more an issue of picking your time to buy your fuel.

However, your post reads as if pushing people towards mad stockpiling, which is very damaging imo. The stock piling madness is completely excessive considering that 0.00000068% of the population has been infected.

It's utter madness, the behaviour I've seen in supermarkets over the last week has been disgraceful, and if you are apart of this, shame on you.

If you cannot relate to reality and are particularly worried about this outbreak, at least try to remember, if this gets worse, products such as hand sanitizer, soap and everyday essentials are much more important to vulnerable and elderly people, than those <50+ with no health issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,287 ✭✭✭jmreire

samih wrote: »
    DPF regen kicked in soon after the refuel? On my Sprinter the fuel consumption increases by approx. 20 percent when the regen is happening for maybe 20 kilometers at the time. And this happens normally roughly once per tankful but sometimes once in a while a tankful of fuel slips through without a single regen cycle.

On the Merc you can hear a change in exhaust note and a whistling sound when the DPF regen is happening.

On the Merc, have you ever scanned it to see when ( at what mileage) it last performed a regen?

JCX BXC wrote: »
    You'll always have a money loving John willing to drive his van anywhere for a few quid.

It's more an issue of picking your time to buy your fuel.

However, your post reads as if pushing people towards mad stockpiling, which is very damaging imo. The stock piling madness is completely excessive considering that 0.00000068% of the population has been infected.

It's utter madness, the behaviour I've seen in supermarkets over the last week has been disgraceful, and if you are apart of this, shame on you.

If you cannot relate to reality and are particularly worried about this outbreak, at least try to remember, if this gets worse, products such as hand sanitizer, soap and everyday essentials are much more important to vulnerable and elderly people, than those <50+ with no health issues.

I'm well stocked.
    I'll have fuel
    I'll have food
    I have soap..
    I don't have have sanitizer
    I have frozen dinners
    I have dried food.

I have common sense.

And I plan on getting some petrol for a generator to keep the deep freezer going.

*Nothing to do with motors

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭2lazytogetup

if the current world oil price is about 33dollars a barrell, anyone know what the average litre price in ireland should be based on this. i know there are taxes. Around 2009 i recall paying about 1.24euro a litre for petrol . I think taxes have gone up since then, esp carbon tax. But my local petrol station is showing about 1.44euro a litre. will it drop much more?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Miscreant

if the current world oil price is about 33dollars a barrell, anyone know what the average litre price in ireland should be based on this. i know there are taxes. Around 2009 i recall paying about 1.24euro a litre for petrol . I think taxes have gone up since then, esp carbon tax. But my local petrol station is showing about 1.44euro a litre. will it drop much more?

This info is in post 31: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=112771670&postcount=31

Works out at just over €1 just for taxes and duty if oil is free and about €1.29 at $35 a barrel :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭air

119 litres in a barrel of fuel. So at last week's $46 av price, the oil cost would add about 40c (Inc vat) to the €1, giving a forecourt price of €1.40
    It's 159L per barrel I think.
    A barrel of crude can't all be turned into light fuels like petrol & diesel either though so it's not quite as simple as your calculation makes out.

• Advertisement

air wrote: »
    It's 159L per barrel I think.
    A barrel of crude can't all be turned into light fuels like petrol & diesel either though so it's not quite as simple as your calculation makes out.

It is 159. It's a while since I was involved on a regular basis.

And it's the brent price we work on in Europe and it is about $36

If it stays at $36 ish, petrol should be under €1.30 on average with plenty of places close to €1.25
    Diesel 10c or so less.

Advertisement