Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway COVID-19, local news and discussion

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

saabsaab wrote: »
    'Galway City Council is blocking access to the Spanish Arch as social distancing breaches mount.'

I see that 9 cases in Galway yesterday out of a national total of 46.

Can't read too much into one result but it will be interesting to see what happens in Galway over the next week.

If lot of people will avoid getting tested if they’ve symptoms and then there’s trouble

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭saabsaab

If lot of people will avoid getting tested if they’ve symptoms and then there’s trouble

True enough. Was probably happening all along. We all know people who plod along through obvious illnesses and say they're fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

inisboffin wrote: »
    It's the inconsistency that gets me. I know this is anecdotal but it's my experience and then there are the stories of my friends:
    I personally know (in Galway City) of 4 people coming in to the country (2 already here) over the last month from non-EU countries for non essential reasons. None are coming 'home' or for any medical emergency, they all live abroad. They are coming to see family and are simply handed a slip of paper asking them to self isolate for 2 weeks. Follow up for the two so far was none and one phone call asking if they were isolating (they weren't and they lied - they aren't out and about but they are seeing multiple family members living close by).
    I am not allowed (if stopped) visit my own parents who live in another county.

I think these inconsistencies (whether right or wrong) encourage to people to say 'why bother'.

You are protecting your parents by not unwittingly bringing them a potentially deadly illness.
    Framing these things in terms of "I'm not allowed to do that but he is allowed" is so childish considering what's at risk, no offence intended to you personally. It's one of those situations where if we all exercise personal responsibility and don't tolerate less from others there are real gains to be made.

You know 4 people who've come to Galway in the last month but you know a hell of a lot more people here who'd like to travel to visit their parents and loved ones. The spread from a small amount of people visiting their home is very very dramatically less than from us all visiting our loved ones and all gallivanting around the country.

So someone gets to do something that we don't , most of us have our loved ones still alive after this but some do not. What's fair just doesn't come into it. It's really miserable to imagine intelligent adults think the "boo hoo he can but I can't" mentality provides any justification for "why bother?". That kind of immaturity cannot be tolerated or indulged.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Mwengwe

That's really sad. I hope that it won't spread through the staff there.

Clusters in small communities that do not mix outside their own members are easily enough contained.
    A cluster of 9 in somewhere like UCHG is concerning. Nearly everyone working there comes home to a family or share house that mixes in the wider community. We pretty much all mix with someone working there and their families, a handful of people drinking down at Sparch very likely live with someone working there. Hopefully it'll be containable.

I mean if I was living with a health worker I definitely wouldn't be going Sparching? The risk goes back the other way too, more so. But what can you do with people i guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,697 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

saabsaab wrote: »
    'Galway City Council is blocking access to the Spanish Arch as social distancing breaches mount.

There were Waaayyyy too many people down there on Wednesday evening. So Thursday a garda wagon and staff were used. Now a more cost effective approach is in place.

People had a chance to prove they could behave responsibly without state intervention. They failed, so the council has yo step in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,268 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Numbers will definitely go up when any restrictions are lifted. That shouldn't surprise anyone.

What should not happen is massive spikes in numbers. That would suggest social distancing and hand washing etc aren't being maintained. Nothing to suggest we are anywhere near massive spikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭inisboffin

You are protecting your parents by not unwittingly bringing them a potentially deadly illness.
    Framing these things in terms of "I'm not allowed to do that but he is allowed" is so childish considering what's at risk, no offence intended to you personally. It's one of those situations where if we all exercise personal responsibility and don't tolerate less from others there are real gains to be made.

You know 4 people who've come to Galway in the last month but you know a hell of a lot more people here who'd like to travel to visit their parents and loved ones. The spread from a small amount of people visiting their home is very very dramatically less than from us all visiting our loved ones and all gallivanting around the country.

So someone gets to do something that we don't , most of us have our loved ones still alive after this but some do not. What's fair just doesn't come into it. It's really miserable to imagine intelligent adults think the "boo hoo he can but I can't" mentality provides any justification for "why bother?". That kind of immaturity cannot be tolerated or indulged.

You're actually pulling me up on framing as part of your argument?

Under current restrictions I am forbidden to visit my parents
    Under current restrictions the tooth fairy will not bring me money if I visit my parents
    Is that better? :rolleyes:
    Either way it's the same result.

I'm addressing the rule of the country and enforcement, and trying to disentangle why people don't see it as fair. If the front door is open why are we plugging drafts in the wall etc...

MANY have decided to disobey the guidelines. For those who have though, there is the daily second guessing and "what's the point"?
    I am still sticking to the guidelines that make sense to me and taking personal responsibility but on a national level you can see/hear (Joe etc) how the lack of consistency is causing a split.

The people coming in from other countries are coming from places where lockdowns have different restrictions. How is it safer to come from an airport, take public transport (because it is 'forbidden' for someone to collect you) than to drive 10k down the road when two households have self isolated?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

It's the inconsistency that gets me. I know this is anecdotal but it's my experience and then there are the stories of my friends:
    I personally know (in Galway City) of 4 people coming in to the country (2 already here) over the last month from non-EU countries for non essential reasons. None are coming 'home' or for any medical emergency, they all live abroad. They are coming to see family and are simply handed a slip of paper asking them to self isolate for 2 weeks. Follow up for the two so far was none and one phone call asking if they were isolating (they weren't and they lied - they aren't out and about but they are seeing multiple family members living close by).
    I am not allowed (if stopped) visit my own parents who live in another county.

I think these inconsistencies (whether right or wrong) encourage to people to say 'why bother'.

Sorry but what's the inconsistency - everyone coming into Ireland is being asked to isolate for 2 weeks, there is no inconsistency to that request?

If some are breaking the rules then what do you advice to happen, we have limited resources to follow up on everyone so its not possible. This is where personnel responsibility comes in. Those people you know shouldn't be doing what they're doing, I'm sure if they get caught they'll be fined and dealt with appropriately. What more then a phoncecall and some spot checks can the authorities do? They won't catch everyone but possibly some and that's the same in all laws in all walks of life.

You can't compare this to not seeing your parents, just because someone broke one law (maybe guideline is better word) doesn't make it inconsistent or OK to break another. For what its worth I think more could be done to allow families meet again but people have to play by the current guidelines and hopefully we could speed up the process. For me that should be the focus of the Government; to see how people can meet there families again instead of so many articles about pubs, restaurants or hairdressers.

I suppose my fear is a return to pre phase 1 conditions, I don't fancy a life like that and look forward to the 8th of June as I can stretch the legs some more.

Sorry but what's the inconsistency - everyone coming into Ireland is being asked to isolate for 2 weeks, there is no inconsistency to that request?

If some are breaking the rules then what do you advice to happen, we have limited resources to follow up on everyone so its not possible. This is where personnel responsibility comes in. Those people you know shouldn't be doing what they're doing, I'm sure if they get caught they'll be fined and dealt with appropriately. What more then a phoncecall and some spot checks can the authorities do? They won't catch everyone but possibly some and that's the same in all laws in all walks of life.

You can't compare this to not seeing your parents, just because someone broke one law (maybe guideline is better word) doesn't make it inconsistent or OK to break another. For what its worth I think more could be done to allow families meet again but people have to play by the current guidelines and hopefully we could speed up the process. For me that should be the focus of the Government; to see how people can meet there families again instead of so many articles about pubs, restaurants or hairdressers.

I suppose my fear is a return to pre phase 1 conditions, I don't fancy a life like that and look forward to the 8th of June as I can stretch the legs some more.

A few options I would offer, as is happening in other countries so things can move faster:

Offer an option to pay for a test, they are doing it elsewhere, on entry to airport and you get results in a couple of hours. If not you have the option to self isolate in a facility and pay for it. Seems harsh re the facility but that's the option, unless you have a way to get safely to your destination and not be an infection risk.

Poland (and some other countries) have an app you download that is geo cached You have to check in digitally twice a day and do a selfie (not sure what the point of the latter is). You are subject to spot checks if at home, at least 2 or 3 when in isolation.

That's the ones I heard of that made sense in their context. We essentially have open borders yet going to the airport is illegal!

JoeA3 wrote: »
    I'm not saying it shouldn't have been done, I'm saying that for all sorts of reasons - the sheer logistics of it, the fact that we share an un-manned land border with another jurisdiction who have their own rules, available man-power (or lack of), etc, makes it impossible.

So what exactly are you saying? You give out about us copying other countries on some things but not others, you said it was nonsensical to close borders but then say "your not saying it shouldn't be done", what do you suggest - we do nothing. At least they are trying something to slow the spread and no its not perfect but its something. To be honest I'm not sure what your point is, you largely agree but disagree at the effort?

• Advertisement

So what exactly are you saying? You give out about us copying other countries on some things but not others, you said it was nonsensical to close borders but then say "your not saying it shouldn't be done", what do you suggest - we do nothing. At least they are trying something to slow the spread and no its not perfect but its something. To be honest I'm not sure what your point is, you largely agree but disagree at the effort?

Yep, and since then I heard from a friend how Poland does it. See above. I mentioned land border and nothing can be done to address this but I would have asked for a port/airport agreement for NI - it will be the same down the line not just for Covid.
    Why wouldn't I agree with some things and not others in terms of solutions.

A few options I would offer, as is happening in other countries so things can move faster:

Offer an option to pay for a test, they are doing it elsewhere, on entry to airport and you get results in a couple of hours. If not you have the option to self isolate in a facility and pay for it. Seems harsh re the facility but that's the option, unless you have a way to get safely to your destination and not be an infection risk.

Poland (and some other countries) have an app you download that is geo cached You have to check in digitally twice a day and do a selfie (not sure what the point of the latter is). You are subject to spot checks if at home, at least 2 or 3 when in isolation.

That's the ones I heard of that made sense in their context. We essentially have open borders yet going to the airport is illegal!

I agree and I hadn't thought of people paying their own isolation which is a good idea. If they want to come into the country, let them pay for the self isolation costs associated with that until test results are confirmed.

I agree and I hadn't thought of people paying their own isolation which is a good idea. If they want to come into the country, let them pay for the self isolation costs associated with that until test results are confirmed.

The tests (I think in Austria) have just a couple of hour turnaround, so if that could happen that would be brilliant. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭JoeA3

What I was trying to say (badly) is something along the lines of what Inisboffin is saying in here too.

Our borders are like a sieve. We share a land border with a different jurisdiction, people from either side of the border can freely travel in either direction and can carry on without risk of legal consequences. For obvious political/historic reasons the powers that be do not wish to go back to a policed border up there!

So what's the point in jumping up and down about the few people coming in via Dublin Airport, when anyone can fly into Belfast and choose from any of the dozens of open roads from there into the Republic.

The tokenism in place right now (handing visitors a leaflet and "asking" them to self isolate) is completely pointless but its about as much as they can do, given the resources available.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,533 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

The Huntsman Inn seems to be open .

Socially distant tables in the car parks

The Huntsman Inn seems to be open .

Socially distant tables in the car parks

It actually makes more sense there than somewhere there is no safe place to go (legally) but how is it allowed?
    Did you notice were there loos?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

In order to ensure social distancing, a number of areas across the city have been closed off/ restricted until further notice:

Silverstrand has been closed off to cars

The Claddagh Basin and the Spanish Arch have been closed off

Blackrock Diving Tower and the road at the back of the golf course has also been closed

The car park at Ballyloughane beach is in the process of being closed

Please continue to follow the national social distancing guidelines in place.
    https://www.facebook.com/135976253079769/posts/3267605546583475/

Was driving from Briarhill in the Oranmore direction earlier when I remarked to my wife, that in normal years the Wexford strawberry sellers would be setting up for the first weekend of the season but no chance of seeing them this year. Low and behold, no sooner had I finished saying the words when there in front of me just past the Clinic roundabout was the stall. Was great to see a bit of normality and really made my day. The strawberries were lovely too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Was driving from Briarhill in the Oranmore direction earlier when I remarked to my wife, that in normal years the Wexford strawberry sellers would be setting up for the first weekend of the season but no chance of seeing them this year. Low and behold, no sooner had I finished saying the words when there in front of me just past the Clinic roundabout was the stall. Was great to see a bit of normality and really made my day. The strawberries were lovely too

Wexford???
    I'm thinking some enterprising young local, bought a few punnets in Lidl and set up shop...

Wexford???
    I'm thinking some enterprising young local, bought a few punnets in Lidl and set up shop...

They were most definitely not Lidl strawberries. The difference is phenomenal

• Advertisement

I’d some strawberries from the fruit and veg shop in Terryland and they were A1

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

They were never the most hygenic way of getting a few strawberries. I definitely will pass on them from the roadside this year.

They were never the most hygenic way of getting a few strawberries. I definitely will pass on them from the roadside this year.

A wash and they are grand

A wash and they are grand

Famous last words lol

• Registered Users Posts: 12,823 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I'd be more concerned if they were maybe knock off Keelings strawberries.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,697 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

FWIW, a nurse was telling me today that that two months ago A&E was empty and the hospital had lots of empty beds, in case they were needed. But now A&E has filled up again, and so have the beds. If we do get a 2nd spike (not just a wave), we could have quite a problem. Fingers crossed we don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭LowOdour

So just out of Lidl....not only were the queues long but everyone let in at the one time and no one giving two fcuks about being in on top of each other. Madness

Geraghty Is open, it’s a clothes shop!! Maybe it’s part of the market

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭Laviski

Geraghty Is open, it’s a clothes shop!! Maybe it’s part of the market

They are collect only. Not allowed in shop.

• Advertisement

Laviski wrote: »
    They are collect only. Not allowed in shop.

Doors wide open and a few people “browsing” when I passed earlier

Advertisement