Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway COVID-19, local news and discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Discodog wrote: »
    The problem is it could be one nursing home or even results from weeks ago.The system is so unreliable & you can only take the wider trend.

The relaxations from Monday won't show for at least two weeks.

Exactly. The “new” cases are likely to be at least a week old and quite likely (I’m guessing) to be from a known cluster. The daily updates only serve to confuse/panic people at this point imo, as when the numbers are relatively low, they will tend to fluctuate a bit on a daily basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

JoeA3 wrote: »
    Exactly. The “new” cases are likely to be at least a week old and quite likely (I’m guessing) to be from a known cluster. The daily updates only serve to confuse/panic people at this point imo, as when the numbers are relatively low, they will tend to fluctuate a bit on a daily basis.

I don't think that's the case at present. New cases are getting tested on same day or following day in 80% of cases and receiving results within 3 days we are told.

So 9 new cases would mostly likely be diagnosed this week.

The thing is those 9 cases will have been contracted up to 14 days ago, a point where I definitely noticed a relaxation of attitudes.

If it's the case that they're community transmission I'd imagine we will be looking at much higher numbers resulting from this weeks behaviour and the bank holiday behaviour.

We are at a point where we can go out, can meet others while being careful. If people stuck to this for now we could all enjoy ourselves and expect a positive trajectory to continue. Right now however we very much risk our chances being scuppered because people fancy pints and languishing around down at the Claddagh.
    When you see a young nurse so very ill I don't understand how anyone can advocate anything except erring on the side of caution.

If it's the case that they're community transmission.

They’ve been telling us for weeks that community transmission is near zero.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Private Joker

I have been reliably informed that there was an outbreak in uchg from a patient transferred from castlebar. This could explain the rise in new cases

• Registered Users Posts: 45,268 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

You'll be waiting roughly 2 weeks for the consequences of relaxations of restrictions. Then roughly another two weeks for deaths that result from this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,698 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Discodog wrote: »
    The problem is it could be one nursing home or even results from weeks ago.The system is so unreliable & you can only take the wider trend.

The relaxations from Monday won't show for at least two weeks.

The most recent relaxations started Monday last week, viz the 18th. We'll start to see the results from early next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭LowOdour

I'm not sure if this is classed as Covid chat but a question on supermarkets in town since the lock down.

I have to make a run in to the city on Saturday (first time in 2 months!) but want to make it a quick in and out. So was hoping to get our weekly shop done first.

How busy in general are the Headford Rd Aldi/Lidl first thing on Saturday mornings over last couple of months? Would like to get shopping done early if it wouldn't be too busy

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

LowOdour wrote: »
    I'm not sure if this is classed as Covid chat but a question on supermarkets in town since the lock down.

I have to make a run in to the city on Saturday (first time in 2 months!) but want to make it a quick in and out. So was hoping to get our weekly shop done first.

How busy in general are the Headford Rd Aldi/Lidl first thing on Saturday mornings over last couple of months? Would like to get shopping done early if it wouldn't be too busy

Avoid Joyce’s, a lot of negative customers interactions

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I have been reliably informed that there was an outbreak in uchg from a patient transferred from castlebar. This could explain the rise in new cases

That's really sad. I hope that it won't spread through the staff there.

Clusters in small communities that do not mix outside their own members are easily enough contained.
    A cluster of 9 in somewhere like UCHG is concerning. Nearly everyone working there comes home to a family or share house that mixes in the wider community. We pretty much all mix with someone working there and their families, a handful of people drinking down at Sparch very likely live with someone working there. Hopefully it'll be containable.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,355 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

You'd wonder where we'll be in terms of case numbers in about two or three further on from this weekend. Feels like people are done with being careful.

Hopefully case numbers won't rise again and it'll blow over, but I find it hard not to feel a bit apprehensive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

We won’t be anywhere different, the virus is dying out all across Europe as per the data and will continue to do so. We should be thankful about this. As I’ve said many times, many countries are far more open than us and their numbers are not climbing.
    It is sad re the nurse in UHG, I really hope she makes it through this awful time. Medical staff often get high viral loads which can lead to more serious infection. The safety protocols of the hospital should be checked as to how she got exposed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭testtech05

We won’t be anywhere different, the virus is dying out all across Europe as per the data and will continue to do so. We should be thankful about this. As I’ve said many times, many countries are far more open than us and their numbers are not climbing.
    It is sad re the nurse in UHG, I really hope she makes it through this awful time. Medical staff often get high viral loads which can lead to more serious infection. The safety protocols of the hospital should be checked as to how she got exposed.

Fingers crossed for the poor woman but it doesn't sound good for her at the minute. It really is people like her and her family who should be thought the most of during all this. Putting themselves in harm's way to look after the rest of us.

Slightly off topic but I remember reading some articles a couple of weeks back which suggested that a high viral load in the case of covid-19 may not be linked to the serverity of the case being any worse.
    I had read these on my laptop and only on my phone now but I'm sure if you are interested I can try to find them.

Then again paper never refused ink either I suppose.

We won’t be anywhere different, the virus is dying out all across Europe as per the data and will continue to do so..

The level of complacency shown in this post is the reason we are going to almost certainly see a spike as this opinion is shared by far too many naive people.

The only reason we are at low numbers is lockdown, things have eased (too early imo) and people are ignoring much of the remaining rules also so it should not come as a surpise at all if we see numbers climbing again. As Galway missed the worst first time around we could be hit harder the next time too due to ignorance of people.

We are also seeing numbers rise around Europe so you are not even correct in that. Both France and Spain had their highest totals for about a week yesterday for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

I don't think Joyce's are doing anything wrong and they've tried to put in a system to move people through the store of sorts. However without altering the aisles there are multiple bottlenecks where you're likely going to be in close contact with others. In my mind the meat counter is the worst and the 3 skinny aisles which run down from there. The rest of the store isn't too bad.

Fact is Aldi/Lidl are physically smaller stores and are popular especially in town like that. I found the Headford Lidl to be terrible and had many people acting as if there was no social distancing at all.

I think Dunnes are doing a much better job but can only comment on Knocknacarra.

If you are concerned go early and wear a mask.

LowOdour wrote: »

Define early.

If 8am you should be OK.

Headford Rd Lidl is horrible, as per last post. I'm not a fan of masks, but even I have a small supply so I can wear one if I have to go there again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Define early.

If 8am you should be OK.

Headford Rd Lidl is horrible, as per last post. I'm not a fan of masks, but even I have a small supply so I can wear one if I have to go there again.

Yep, early is 8am. I agree that Lidl is terrible but probably will work the handiest as aldi doesn't open til 9. Have a mask, may have to give a run out

• Registered Users Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Still transferring patients between facilities without testing them first? Have the HSE learned nothing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭testtech05

I see the council have closed off access to the Spanish arch with some gates this morning

testtech05 wrote: »
    I see the council have closed off access to the Spanish arch with some gates this morning

Good

• Registered Users Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭Storm 10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

The guidelines are in place to ensure the country returns to the 'new normal' as soon as possible and comparing us to other countries is not justified as there is limited data available that what they are doing is right. In fact it'll be another month or so before we can reflect back and see which countries responded better then others and even at that those countries will be admitting partial luck things went their way. That's how correct comparisons work - the data sets need to be comparable over a reasonable amount of time to draw a conclusion. Its a new virus and no one really can be sure of the correct thing to do or how it will next behave.

Additionally each county had different levels of restrictions and therefore require different levels of returning to the new "normal", also this bit is critical - NEW NORMAL, we are not going to return to the previous days unless there is a vaccine or some way to ensure it doesn't spread. So please stop referring to other countries as no two are the same. Its a pointless discussion right now. In a few months time then I'd like to think a study will be done and we'll better understand how to respond to the next pandemic.

Only 2 weeks ago Spain allowed Children leave the house after nearly 2 months, we never experienced this and hopefully never will. In Wuhan people didn't leave apartments (no garden) for 10 weeks, honestly what we have is a holiday compared to other countries.

200 schools in South Korea have closed again.

This thing will take a while to get manageable.

https://bbc.in/3cczywb

The guidelines are in place to ensure the country returns to the 'new normal' as soon as possible and comparing us to other countries is not justified as there is limited data available that what they are doing is right. In fact it'll be another month or so before we can reflect back and see which countries responded better then others and even at that those countries will be admitting partial luck things went their way. That's how correct comparisons work - the data sets need to be comparable over a reasonable amount of time to draw a conclusion. Its a new virus and no one really can be sure of the correct thing to do or how it will next behave.

Additionally each county had different levels of restrictions and therefore require different levels of returning to the new "normal", also this bit is critical - NEW NORMAL, we are not going to return to the previous days unless there is a vaccine or some way to ensure it doesn't spread. So please stop referring to other countries as no two are the same. Its a pointless discussion right now. In a few months time then I'd like to think a study will be done and we'll better understand how to respond to the next pandemic.

Only 2 weeks ago Spain allowed Children leave the house after nearly 2 months, we never experienced this and hopefully never will. In Wuhan people didn't leave apartments (no garden) for 10 weeks, honestly what we have is a holiday compared to other countries.

I largely agree, but by the same token, it is equally nonsensical to compare us to other countries who lockdown borders at will and force-quarantine visitors or lock people up in their apartments and "demand" that we should be doing the same! Without thinking about how it can possibly be done or the side-effects and consequences of doing so.

What works in one country doesn't work in another, for all manner of reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

I largely agree, but by the same token, it is equally nonsensical to compare us to other countries who lockdown borders at will and force-quarantine visitors or lock people up in their apartments and "demand" that we should be doing the same! Without thinking about how it can possibly be done or the side-effects and consequences of doing so.

What works in one country doesn't work in another, for all manner of reasons.

I don't know about that, it makes perfect sense to me, reduce the movement of people and their interaction with others and you reduce the spread of the virus no?

I'm not demanding that people are locked in their apartments, in fact I'm happy people can move again once they abide by the guidelines. We in Ireland are not locked into our houses, the over 70's were for a number of weeks (now that was a tough time for my parents) but no one is right now? Our lock down has been very mild is my point and we're now coming out of it which makes me happy. Hopefully the majority of people can abide the guidelines and we will get through each phase, I'm also confident the phases could be sped up if people comply and I can once again physical see all of my family again.

I don't know about that, it makes perfect sense to me, reduce the movement of people and their interaction with others and you reduce the spread of the virus no?

I'm not saying it shouldn't have been done, I'm saying that for all sorts of reasons - the sheer logistics of it, the fact that we share an un-manned land border with another jurisdiction who have their own rules, available man-power (or lack of), etc, makes it impossible.

I'm not saying it shouldn't have been done, I'm saying that for all sorts of reasons - the sheer logistics of it, the fact that we share an un-manned land border with another jurisdiction who have their own rules, available man-power (or lack of), etc, makes it impossible.

How have cluntires in main land Europe down it? Slovakia has done an excellant job and shares Multiple boarders

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭inisboffin

It's the inconsistency that gets me. I know this is anecdotal but it's my experience and then there are the stories of my friends:
    I personally know (in Galway City) of 4 people coming in to the country (2 already here) over the last month from non-EU countries for non essential reasons. None are coming 'home' or for any medical emergency, they all live abroad. They are coming to see family and are simply handed a slip of paper asking them to self isolate for 2 weeks. Follow up for the two so far was none and one phone call asking if they were isolating (they weren't and they lied - they aren't out and about but they are seeing multiple family members living close by).
    I am not allowed (if stopped) visit my own parents who live in another county.

I think these inconsistencies (whether right or wrong) encourage to people to say 'why bother'.

inisboffin wrote: »
    I am not allowed (if stopped) visit my own parents who live in another county.

The likelihood of getting (a) stopped and (b) turned around is slim to none. (also from anecdotal evidence).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

The council have posted that the hot food vendors will be located in St Pats Car Park tomorrow. Great idea. Glad to see the market going ahead tomorrow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,764 ✭✭✭saabsaab

'Galway City Council is blocking access to the Spanish Arch as social distancing breaches mount.'

I see that 9 cases in Galway yesterday out of a national total of 46.

Can't read too much into one result but it will be interesting to see what happens in Galway over the next week.

Advertisement