Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway COVID-19, local news and discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

zell12 wrote: »
    Walk-in Covid-19 testing centre for asymptomatic people
    Town Hall/Library Car Park, Ballinasloe 11am to 7pm, 2-4 April

“Our pop up walk-in testing centres target areas where there is the greatest risk of disease at the moment" The testing centres were set up in order to help understand why Covid-19 is spreading in certain areas and to help uncover cases where people don’t suffer any symptoms

Someone asked why there was a center in Ballinasloe as they haven't heard of a rise in cases, this could be another reason.

It was in the paper today that one of the reasons these clinics are set up is to try to detect community spread of variants and how it's happening and they are targeting areas of concern.
    In Ireland we now have community transmission of the Brazillian variant which is 3 times more deadly amoung 18-40 year olds than the UK one. The Dr on the news today said we are only doing genomic testing to identify variants on a tiny fraction of testing so current numbers touted of the cases existing here are only a tiny representation of the reality.

Dr de Gascun said the “greatest concern” would be an undetected case of a variant in a care facility, workplace or school leading to a “super-spreading event” .

“The problem is if we don’t contain it, it is only a matter of time before it gets into a super-spreading event,” he said, adding that one of the reasons for setting up walk-in test centres in some areas was to try to detect variants.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/coronavirus-variants-with-no-link-to-travel-detected-in-state-1.4527575

• Registered Users Posts: 25,710 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Sothe Brazillian variant which is 3 times more deadly amoung 18-40 year olds than the UK one.

How deadly is the UK variant among 18-40 year olds?

None of what you said explains why Ballinasloe is an area of concern.

Obviously it is (or the clinic wouldn't be there).

If the concern was for the Brazillian variant, I'd have thought that Gort would be a better location for it.

Does anyone know if there is wastewater Covid-19 monitoring happening in Ireland yet, and in particular in Galway?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,114 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Setting up walk in centers to find variants doesn't make much sense, you'd just use the tests that will.be taken through the normal systems.

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Setting up walk in centers to find variants doesn't make much sense, you'd just use the tests that will.be taken through the normal systems.

Not if they are spreading through community transmission and you can't ascertain where the link between cases is. When that happens you have to assume some level of asymptomatic transmission. That's what they're saying anyway! In the UK they went door to door and tested everybody in areas there were outbreaks of variants that might undermine the vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭maniac2003

Someone asked why there was a center in Ballinasloe as they haven't heard of a rise in cases, this could be another reason.

It was in the paper today that one of the reasons these clinics are set up is to try to detect community spread of variants and how it's happening and they are targeting areas of concern.
    In Ireland we now have community transmission of the Brazillian variant which is 3 times more deadly amoung 18-40 year olds than the UK one. The Dr on the news today said we are only doing genomic testing to identify variants on a tiny fraction of testing so current numbers touted of the cases existing here are only a tiny representation of the reality.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/coronavirus-variants-with-no-link-to-travel-detected-in-state-1.4527575

Brazil is not the problem, its a lot closer to home

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,954 ✭✭✭thesandeman

maniac2003 wrote: »
    Brazil is not the problem, its a lot closer to home

Loughrea?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

None of what you said explains why Ballinasloe is an area of concern.

Actually, maybe an area with low COVID is perfect for detecting asymptomatic cases. Maybe they want to know the asymptomatic rate of infection in areas with low "offical" cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭ratracer

Actually, maybe an area with low COVID is perfect for detecting asymptomatic cases. Maybe they want to know the asymptomatic rate of infection in areas with low "offical" cases.

I find it odd that centres “just” opened up in Ballinasloe and Athlone at the same time. They are only a 15-20min drive from each other on the motorway. Must be more to it than meets the eye! ( Or I’ve become very cynical during the past 12 mths)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,485 ✭✭✭✭zell12

ratracer wrote: »
    I find it odd that centres “just” opened up in Ballinasloe and Athlone at the same time. They are only a 15-20min drive from each other on the motorway. Must be more to it than meets the eye! ( Or I’ve become very cynical during the past 12 mths)
    Would you say the same about the Dublin centres located as close?
    The centres are specifically for those resident within 5km.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭h2005

zell12 wrote: »
    Would you say the same about the Dublin centres located as close?
    The centres are specifically for those resident within 5km.

They were opened up here as the incidence is very high. Logically you’d think it’s the same for Athlone and Ballinasloe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,710 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Well voluntary testing ain't going to find it out!

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭afkasurfjunkie

Well voluntary testing ain't going to find it out!

Especially if there aren’t many volunteering. Drove by the tent/car park today and there wasn’t a sinner to be seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

549363.png

(Data up to March 29th).

Ballinasloe has been the highest per capita in Galway for a couple of weeks now, but at 210, it's nowhere near the top ten - you can see why Tullamore is such an outlier:

549365.png

• Registered Users Posts: 45,276 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

No conspiracy so. Just based on facts. Thanks for that info.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,472 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

total mystery on tullamore.. wow

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭afkasurfjunkie

total mystery on tullamore.. wow

No mystery in Tullamore. St. Patrick’s day was a massive party day among some of the locals and cases spread through childcare facilities and schools as a result.

14 day incident rate per 100k in Galway is down to 86 - trending down nicely!

"It is understood that the three people left the Crowne Plaza Hotel in Santry earlier today by car, and were later intercepted by a Garda motorway patrol near Loughrea in Co Galway.

Following a conversation with gardaí, it is understood the three people agreed to return to the designated quarantine facility."

https://www.rte.ie/news/2021/0406/1208259-hotel-quarantine-latest/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,768 ✭✭✭saabsaab

"It is understood that the three people left the Crowne Plaza Hotel in Santry earlier today by car, and were later intercepted by a Garda motorway patrol near Loughrea in Co Galway.

Following a conversation with gardaí, it is understood the three people agreed to return to the designated quarantine facility."

https://www.rte.ie/news/2021/0406/1208259-hotel-quarantine-latest/

Nothing will happen to them. Far too soft.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

saabsaab wrote: »
    Nothing will happen to them. Far too soft.

It's a perfectly reasonable result. I suppose they could cut off their hands to satisfy a someone on the internet. That would show them 🙄

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,768 ✭✭✭saabsaab

It's a perfectly reasonable result. I suppose they could cut off their hands to satisfy a someone on the internet. That would show them ��

Not at all. An example must be made but it won't, no heavy fines or jail. Others will surely follow just you wait and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,409 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Curious question here, has GPs started vaccinating any of Cohort 4 in Galway city yet, my sister got her vaccination on 3rd April in Bandon, she has heavy asthma and Alpha-1, I have the same condition myself but haven't heard word from my GP or the hospital. I phoned my GP last week and they said they were only vaccinating the over 70s at the moment and she told me to ring this number 012408787. After phoning that (Dublin vaccination hotline) they weren't able to tell me anything either. So what to do now, I don't know, do I just sit tight and wait for someone to contact me?

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,236 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Cohort 4 were being vaccinated in the racecourse a couple weeks ago anyways.

Not sure if GPs are also undertaking this.

Curious question here, has GPs started vaccinating any of Cohort 4 in Galway city yet, my sister got her vaccination on 3rd April in Bandon, she has heavy asthma and Alpha-1, I have the same condition myself but haven't heard word from my GP or the hospital. I phoned my GP last week and they said they were only vaccinating the over 70s at the moment and she told me to ring this number 012408787. After phoning that (Dublin vaccination hotline) they weren't able to tell me anything either. So what to do now, I don't know, do I just sit tight and wait for someone to contact me?

Contact your consultant. It is the hospital teams that are drawing up lists of who is priority. GPs don'r have anything to do with. They're pretty strict on who meets the criteria so check up first and see if you feel you do. If your sister got one for the same condition you should.
    Fitz* wrote: »
    Cohort 4 were being vaccinated in the racecourse a couple weeks ago anyways.

Not sure if GPs are also undertaking this.

It's not GPs. I think Cohort 4 started 3-4 wks ago and is still under way. I know someone who got it yesterday as part of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Anyone know if the barriers along the Prom will be removed tomorrow?

We'll still be in Level 5 so probably not.

But it's a local decision not based on public health advice or national guidance so who knows!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

This is for the entire nation, but in case someone local somehow missed it:

Some restrictions will change from today - 12 April, with further changes expected later in April depending on public health advice.
    • Two households can meet outdoors, away from their gardens
    • You can travel within your county or within 20km of your home
    More
    https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/covid19/living_with_covid19_plan.html#

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭paddy19

Went through the Galway Race Course process today.

The staff I met were universally competent, knowledgable, helpful and cheerful.

The process is crap.

Why put vulnerable people in a high risk, close proximity indoor environment.

First 10 minute outdoor queue (1) at entrance. Check name on printout.

Next 20 minute outdoor queue (2).

What happens when it's raining or windy?

First 20 minute indoor queue (3) in temp building holding ~20 people was not ventilated at all although it had a closed double door.

Check mobile number, name address, PPS number, Photo ID Check.
    Got leaflet.

Next 18 minute indoor queue (4) 20 people with some indoor ventilation.

Finally vaccinator checked ID and got confirmation that understanding risk I agreed to get jab.

Got jab, zero pain given card, no date for next jab.

Final 15 minute post vac queue (5) 35 people indoor room with some ventilation.

That's 5 queues three of them no or minimal ventilation indoors lasting 15 minutes or longer.

My understand is the indoor queues would meet the close contact criteria.

Most people arrived by their own car.

Proposed low risk process.
    Check names/times at entrance.

Give leaflet out at entrance.

Move the vaccinators to the car parks.

Vaccinator does ID check.

Leave people in their car until the vaccinator is ready.

Once people are vaccinated they return to there car to wait for the post 15
    recovery.

No indoor environment except for vaccination.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,993 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

paddy19 wrote: »
    Went through the Galway Race Course process today.

The staff I met were universally competent, knowledgable, helpful and cheerful.

The process is crap.

Why put vulnerable people in a high risk, close proximity indoor environment.

First 10 minute outdoor queue (1) at entrance. Check name on printout.

Next 20 minute outdoor queue (2).

What happens when it's raining or windy?

First 20 minute indoor queue (3) in temp building holding ~20 people was not ventilated at all although it had a closed double door.

Check mobile number, name address, PPS number, Photo ID Check.
    Got leaflet.

Next 18 minute indoor queue (4) 20 people with some indoor ventilation.

Finally vaccinator checked ID and got confirmation that understanding risk I agreed to get jab.

Got jab, zero pain given card, no date for next jab.

Final 15 minute post vac queue (5) 35 people indoor room with some ventilation.

That's 5 queues three of them no or minimal ventilation indoors lasting 15 minutes or longer.

My understand is the indoor queues would meet the close contact criteria.

Most people arrived by their own car.

Proposed low risk process.
    Check names/times at entrance.

Give leaflet out at entrance.

Move the vaccinators to the car parks.

Vaccinator does ID check.

Leave people in their car until the vaccinator is ready.

Once people are vaccinated they return to there car to wait for the post 15
    recovery.

No indoor environment except for vaccination.

My mother had hers there today, they arrived 15 mins early for a 230 appointment and didn't leave til 4, seems far too slow to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,234 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Are GP's not doing it anymore? Even the logistics of getting the racecourse is a problem for some I'd imagine.

Advertisement