Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Pandemic Information- Local and Worldwide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭alps

https://google.com/covid19/mobility

Data from all countries and counties in Ireland.

Interesting if you have the time...

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Morris Moss

_Brian wrote: »
    Bless him nobody knows what underlying conditions he has, never looks a hard healthy type at best of times.

It’s hard not to think there’s a bit of karma with the whole herd immunity idiocy he kept up for two weeks while it was spreading everywhere. But still, hopefully he will recover quickly.

Sweden is following that exact policy, pubs, restaurants and school's all still open.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Injuryprone

Water John wrote: »
    I'd say schools would be one of the slowest things to reopen here. Just an opinion that they are difficult to control, in terms of interaction. Could see various lines of business opening up gradually, building being an early one.

+1
    Most importantly, schools don't generate money for the economy. Apart from freeing up a parent to go back to work. I could see them allowing 2 neighbouring families to group together, maybe.

Work is going to have to start back at some stage. Probably at a much reduced output and strict social distancing controls. Mandatory mask wearing. Door staff with temperature checks on all pubs /restaurants with seating only at certain densities.

Don't think any of it happens until they get the testing up to date. They're also going to have to legislate some sort of fines system for people not social distancing if this lockdown is eased a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Atmospheric pollution leads to higher mortality in Covid19 patients. Northern Italy would have a larger industrial base and more pollution and has much higher mortality rates than the rest of Italy for Covid19.
    https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0269749120320601?via%3Dihub

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

And a nice gesture from FBD through the FRS.
    https://twitter.com/FJDairy/status/1247523694240583680?s=19

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,128 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

36 deaths today

• Registered Users Posts: 24,369 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

whelan2 wrote: »
    36 deaths today

Fair jump

• Registered Users Posts: 9,637 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Just watching Al Jaazera atm and the spread of Covid in the likes of South America and Africa is really starting to take off - given the already poor state of most health facilities in these regions things will get ugly very fast eg Ecuador has already run out of coffins for victims!!:(

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Just watching Al Jaazera atm and the spread of Covid in the likes of South America and Africa is really starting to take off - given the already poor state of most health facilities in these regions things will get ugly very fast eg Ecuador has already run out of coffins for victims!!:(

Maybe a week ago there was a piece on radio wondering whether we will have a two tier world in relation to travel soon. The countries that get C19 under control and those that can't or don't. That travel to the latter may be restricted or banned due to the risk of bringing C19 on to a plane and spreading it God knows where.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭alps

Daughter has had a small operation cancelled for the Mater Cork and cant get any answer if it will be rescheduled or if she now has to go on a public waiting list. Meanwhile a neighbour, nurse in the Mater has been told to take holidays as they have only 4 inpatients..
    Michael OKeeffe, consultant, on the tonight show last night claims the Bons has only 6 in patients....wtf is up!!
    Surely you would keep these hospitals working up to the point you commandeer them.

HSE obviously paying now to keep them idle..

Is there a move to nationalise the whole service now, as in never waste a good crisis..?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

alps wrote: »
    Daughter has had a small operation cancelled for the Mater Cork and cant get any answer if it will be rescheduled or if she now has to go on a public waiting list. Meanwhile a neighbour, nurse in the Mater has been told to take holidays as they have only 4 inpatients..
    Michael OKeeffe, consultant, on the tonight show last night claims the Bons has only 6 in patients....wtf is up!!
    Surely you would keep these hospitals working up to the point you commandeer them.

HSE obviously paying now to keep them idle..

Is there a move to nationalise the whole service now, as in never waste a good crisis..?

Cue

"This week will be critical"

"The surge is yet to hit"

"Keep flattening the curve"

Similar situations in hospitals being reported around the world

• Registered Users Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭arctictree

whelan2 wrote: »
    36 deaths today

I wonder how does that compare to the same day last year?

A bit crude but I did a quick search on rip.ie

3600 died in March 2019
    3920 died in March 2020

I wonder what the April figures will be like?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Cue

"This week will be critical"

"The surge is yet to hit"

"Keep flattening the curve"

Similar situations in hospitals being reported around the world
    Hospitals are practically empty nurses laid off and the media wanting people to believe there are emigrants coming home to help out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

Maybe a week ago there was a piece on radio wondering whether we will have a two tier world in relation to travel soon. The countries that get C19 under control and those that can't or don't. That travel to the latter may be restricted or banned due to the risk of bringing C19 on to a plane and spreading it God knows where.

Somerhing im petrified of in case it stops me getting back into Australia.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 5,971 ✭✭✭emaherx

arctictree wrote: »
    I wonder how does that compare to the same day last year?

A bit crude but I did a quick search on rip.ie

3600 died in March 2019
    3920 died in March 2020

I wonder what the April figures will be like?

Yes lucky we've acted quickly to keep deaths down (or maybe they are just yet to come). Compare deaths of March 2019 with March 2020 in northern Italy and you will see a significant difference.

emaherx wrote: »
    Yes lucky we've acted quickly to keep deaths down (or maybe they are just yet to come). Compare deaths of March 2019 with March 2020 in northern Italy and you will see a significant difference.

But compare 2019/20 European winter deaths with 2016/17, 2017/18 or 2018/19 and we are still well below all of them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

But compare 2019/20 European winter deaths with 2016/17, 2017/18 or 2018/19 and we are still well below all of them

Here’s an interesting video,

https://m.youtube.com/watch?fbclid=IwAR0bUaDKCkI1exFoa82Af5TdLQGopMW9IasAR8OhrvdQjvhNXH6nHomeUqE&v=_5wn1qs_bBk&feature=youtu.be

Yes but an entire winters worth of death in a few weeks is a major issue and it's no where near finished yet and that's with all of these social distancing measures would be much worse if we had of continued as normal.

Yes but an entire winters worth of death in a few weeks is a major issue and it's no where near finished yet and that's with all of these social distancing measures would be much worse if we had of continued as normal.

This winter had a lower amount of deaths than other years and even in Italy and Spain they've a long way to go to get near a bad flu season. The death rate might not be dropping down as quick as it might usually after winter but maybe after a low mortality winter that would be the case anyway. Coronavirus has a very long way to go to look like making a significant impact.

• Advertisement

This winter had a lower amount of deaths than other years and even in Italy and Spain they've a long way to go to get near a bad flu season. The death rate might not be dropping down as quick as it might usually after winter but maybe after a low mortality winter that would be the case anyway. Coronavirus has a very long way to go to look like making a significant impact.

What a load of bollocks

Italy's death rate is about 150% of normal. Hospital system is literally overwhelmed. How you can claim this is anything like normal is mind boggling.

What a load of bollocks

Italy's death rate is about 150% of normal. Hospital system is literally overwhelmed. How you can claim this is anything like normal is mind boggling.

I'm basing what I said on the euromomo published data, what are you basing your post on?

I'm basing what I said on the euromomo published data, what are you basing your post on?

What published data says this is normal?
    Are Italian hospitals making up that they are overwhelmed way beyond any seasonal flu?

What published data says this is normal?
    Are Italian hospitals making up that they are overwhelmed way beyond any seasonal flu?

https://www.euromomo.eu/outputs/number.html

Have a look around there. Maybe you'll get an idea of why I am more of the opinion that panic and staff shortages are to be feared more than the virus. They've had much worse years for flu/pneumonia deaths.

https://www.euromomo.eu/outputs/number.html

Have a look around there. Maybe you'll get an idea of why I am more of the opinion that panic and staff shortages are to be feared more than the virus. They've had much worse years for flu/pneumonia deaths.

Staff shortages don't account for the increased number of ventilators required.

Staff shortages don't account for the increased number of ventilators required.

What do you make of the data on previous years deaths?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭arctictree

I thought this week was supposed to be at or near peak. How come our hospitals are half empty?

What do you make of the data on previous years deaths?

Can't pick Italy's data out of that can you? Many of the other countries are only being hit now.

Can't pick Italy's data out of that can you? Many of the other countries are only being hit now.

https://www.euromomo.eu/outputs/images/Multicountry-zscore-Total.png

• Advertisement

arctictree wrote: »
    I thought this week was supposed to be at or near peak. How come our hospitals are half empty?

The hype is all based on models, the models are based on a large amount of assumptions and assumptions are often wrong. The majority of people in hospital now we're infected before the lockdown started.

Advertisement