Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheltenham, Friday March 13th, Gold Cup Day

Options
  • 08-03-2020 12:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭

Friday Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭howareyakid

Ramses De Teillee e/w in the Albert Bartlett. Remains to be seen if he has the class to win a race like this but he definitely has experience on his side.

I had a small bet on Clan Des Obeaux for the Gold Cup although I wouldn’t be overly confident about him. Hoping he can improve on last years fifth but should be a good race to enjoy in any case.

Joseph O’Brien has a strong team of juveniles as he did last year and Front View has been very well backed in the Martin Pipe. He looks set to be well placed to give a good showing.

In the Foxhunters, there are a few interesting runners; Hazel Hill has done nothing wrong since winning last year, Shantou Flyer ran a cracker to finish second and is set to give it another go, as is Caid Du Berlais who destroyed the field in the Punchestown equivalent. And the latter may get my selection at around 10/1 but I will make a final decision closer to the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭Motivator

Ramses De Teillee e/w in the Albert Bartlett. Remains to be seen if he has the class to win a race like this but he definitely has experience on his side.

I had a small bet on Clan Des Obeaux for the Gold Cup although I wouldn’t be overly confident about him. Hoping he can improve on last years fifth but should be a good race to enjoy in any case.

Joseph O’Brien has a strong team of juveniles as he did last year and Front View has been well backed in the Martin Pipe and looks like he will go well in that.

In the Foxhunters, there are a few interesting runners; Hazel Hill has done nothing wrong since winning last year, Shantou Flyer ran a cracker to finish second and is set to give it another go as is Caid Du Berlais who destroyed the field in the Punchestown equivalent last year. And the latter may get my selection at around 10/1 but I will make a final decision closer to the time.

Caid Du Berlais won a Paddy Power Gold Cup at the November meeting in 2014, he was a classy horse on his day you could be on to something there that’s a nice shout.

Motivator wrote: »
    Caid Du Berlais won a Paddy Power Gold Cup at the November meeting in 2014, he was a classy horse on his day you could be on to something there that’s a nice shout.

Was at Punchestown on the Friday last year when he won. Backed him that day and he looked a class apart! Wins at the Cheltenham Festival have eluded him throughout his career, despite hitting the post on a few occasions, so maybe this will be the year he puts it right.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Rabbit Redux

I'd expect Caid Du Berlais to be at his absolute peak for Punchestown. Won a point to point in January and will come on again for the Cheltenham Foxhunters.
    Punchestown is the time to lump on.

I'd expect Caid Du Berlais to be at his absolute peak for Punchestown. Won a point to point in January and will come on again for the Cheltenham Foxhunters.
    Punchestown is the time to lump on.

He won in Punchestown the year before as well so would be going for a hattrick there if he goes this year. I wonder would Cheltenham be the one they’re really targeting this year though?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Charlie George

Just watched a re-run on last years gold cup, Al boum hit a good few fences and still won snug enough, will be hard to beat if he gets around.

He won in Punchestown the year before as well so would be going for a hattrick there if he goes this year. I wonder would Cheltenham be the one they’re really targeting this year though?

Trainers tend to be creatures of habit. I have a feeling they'd rather use the Cheltenham race as a stepping stone to bring him on for Punchestown rather than aim to win it. I've had him in my sights again as a good thing for the Punchestown Festival for a long time, just like Hazel Hill has been laid out for the Cheltenham Foxhunters since he won the race last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Hazel hill a stone wall certainty. Not right the last day will win by 10+ lengths

Hazel hill a stone wall certainty. Not right the last day will win by 10+ lengths

Gave 4lbs to Minella Rocco that day and was only beaten a length and a half. Rocco already had the benefit of a few racecourse outings before that. 4/1 looks very fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭supremenovice

I was on Native River ante post but thats bust now so I'm going to go for Monalee in the Gold Cup. De Bromhead has wrapped him in cotton wool for the season and hasn't been seen since a fine effort in second behind Delta Work at Christmas. Rachael Blackmore could be the new star (reluctantly) of jump racing come next Saturday and it could be Monalee that propels her there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭unplayable

Clan Des obeux will stay all day 7/1 each way hopefully 4 places on the day on offer bet to nothing.

I was on Native River ante post but thats bust now so I'm going to go for Monalee in the Gold Cup. De Bromhead has wrapped him in cotton wool for the season and hasn't been seen since a fine effort in second behind Delta Work at Christmas. Rachael Blackmore could be the new star (reluctantly) of jump racing come next Saturday and it could be Monalee that propels her there.

Kevin Blake put him up at the ATR preview as “one at a bit of a wild price” e/w. I backed him last year for the Ryanair but I’d say he’s a horse that wanted a bit further. He has some decent Cheltenham from in the book with second in the Albert Bartlett behind Penhill and of course second behind Percy in the RSA so he could yet be seen to good effect in this Gold Cup.

Kevin Blake put him up at the ATR preview as “one at a bit of a wild price” e/w. I backed him last year for the Ryanair but I’d say he’s a horse that wanted a bit further. He has some decent Cheltenham from in the book with second in the Albert Bartlett behind Penhill and of course second behind Percy in the RSA so he could yet be seen to good effect in this Gold Cup.

I’d be of the opinion that Monalee won’t stay the trip in a Gold Cup. I can’t see him getting up the hill at all. I really like the horse and he’s won me a few quid in the past but I’ve never thought of him as a Gold Cup horse. He’s finished second in the last two Lexus’ at Christmas but I think the 3 miles over the big ones is his limit. The extra 2 furlongs up the hill at Cheltenham is like an extra half mile at any other track.

Motivator wrote: »
    I’d be of the opinion that Monalee won’t stay the trip in a Gold Cup. I can’t see him getting up the hill at all. I really like the horse and he’s won me a few quid in the past but I’ve never thought of him as a Gold Cup horse. He’s finished second in the last two Lexus’ at Christmas but I think the 3 miles over the big ones is his limit. The extra 2 furlongs up the hill at Cheltenham is like an extra half mile at any other track.

That may well prove to be a more accurate summation of Monalee’s chances. I wouldn’t put anyone off a few quid e/w though. Especially if Rachael and De Bromhead are in from.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Coneygree

unplayable wrote: »
    Clan Des obeux will stay all day 7/1 each way hopefully 4 places on the day on offer bet to nothing.

I would have thought CDO's only real issue is the fact he won't stay all day, or at all. Isn't he not guilty of the same thing Silviniaco Conti was?

I've Kemboy and LIT backed with a while, not that happy with either given recent form but they are probably two with the most ability on their day so happy enough to take a chance on them. Think ABP is a good thing though. He didn't even have a dream race last year and won handily enough in the end.

Coneygree wrote: »
    I would have thought CDO's only real issue is the fact he won't stay all day, or at all. Isn't he not guilty of the same thing Silviniaco Conti was?

I've Kemboy and LIT backed with a while, not that happy with either given recent form but they are probably two with the most ability on their day so happy enough to take a chance on them. Think ABP is a good thing though. He didn't even have a dream race last year and won handily enough in the end.

Look at ABP’s time compared to previous renewals run on the same ground. Better than Kauto.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Has anyone mentioned Santini yet?

Slattsy wrote: »
    Has anyone mentioned Santini yet?

Would win the Grand National on the snaff!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭RivetingRoger

Percy

Percy

Percy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,803 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

GO ON THE PERCY

• Advertisement

unplayable wrote: »

Not sure he'll stay all day. He reminds me of horses like Dorans Pride, Florida Pearl, and Silviniaco Conti who looked fine over 3 miles on an easy track but were always found out in a Cheltenham Gold Cup. I'd also include One Man in that list but he was an exceptional horse who proved himself good enough to win a Champion Chase, and was probably campaigned over the incorrect distance for most of his career.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,125 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

E/W on Chriss Dream in Gold Cup

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    E/W on Chriss Dream in Gold Cup

Thought it was NR?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

Goshen is my NAP of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

hefferboi wrote: »
    Goshen is my NAP of the week.

One of my heavy fancies also, can't believe the Solo hype!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

Moore says he's the best horse he's trained by a long shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,125 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Thought it was NR?

https://www.thesun.co.uk/cheltenham-festival-2020/11146951/cheltenham-gold-cup-declarations-al-boum-photo-friday-runners/
    Completing the line-up at Kemboy, Presenting Percy, Bristol De Mai, Chris's Dream, Monalee, Elegant Escape and Real Steel

Boris confirmed
    We are on!

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭supremenovice

I'm gonna stick with Monalee. Wrapped in cotton wool since Christmas when he was just beaten by Delta Work. Ryanair was too short for him last year (just like Don Cossack). 25/1 each way is where my money is going (whats left of it :o)

• Advertisement

Desperately hoping Tizzard has said **** it and only decided to train Lostintranslation for Cheltenham! What a rancid poor week from his lot.

Advertisement