Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus in Limerick City

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

kilburn wrote: »
    Didn't the guards intervene at the Catherine St protest

Only because some aggressive car owners were causing a scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,738 ✭✭✭✭phog

Mc Love wrote: »
    Only because some aggressive car owners were causing a scene.

Were you there? How was he aggressive? I passed by when the 2 female gardai were there and he was sitting in his vehicle waiting on the illegal barrier to be removed. He certainly didn't seem to be aggressive as I passed.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭ChewBerecca

phog wrote: »
    Were you there? How was he aggressive? I passed by when the 2 female gardai were there and he was sitting in his vehicle waiting on the illegal barrier to be removed. He certainly didn't seem to be aggressive as I passed.

There was more than one car the guards had to assist with or that tried to cross the barriers and yes some were aggressive considering there were children around and especially as some weren't even trying to access parking or buildings on the street or side streets.

Its not as if Limericks block system makes a detour difficult unless you're a tourist with no GPS. It was clear at least one car was trying to purposely disrupt the pedestrianisation of the street.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭dashoonage

was the street meant to be closed at this time ? genuine question now not trying to stir anything here.

I recall looking at the pics and thinking jaysus if i was a resident and they were my cars is be pissed.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

dashoonage wrote: »
    was the street meant to be closed at this time ? genuine question now not trying to stir anything here.

I recall looking at the pics and thinking jaysus if i was a resident and they were my cars is be pissed.

No. The temporary pedestrianisations haven't started yet. This was a 'guerilla' protest.

• Advertisement

dashoonage wrote: »

Cecil Street from O'Connell to Catherine Street was formally shut down all day Saturday so traffic through Catherine Street would have been less than normal (on the Councils twitter if anyone wants verification). I'm not 100% sure Catherine Street was formally shut down but the Gardai made no effort to stop the closure as traffic is minimal these days around that area.

Guards have to give access to residents/owners regardless of what's going on. Could have been a 10k strong 5G protest on the road and they would have to make safe clearance for local access if required.

There was more than one car the guards had to assist with or that tried to cross the barriers and yes some were aggressive considering there were children around and especially as some weren't even trying to access parking or buildings on the street or side streets.

Its not as if Limericks block system makes a detour difficult unless you're a tourist with no GPS. It was clear at least one car was trying to purposely disrupt the pedestrianisation of the street.

It was compounded by the fact that Cecil St was closed from Catherine St to O'Connell St and that anyone coming from the other end to access Cecil St or beyond couldn't use the tiny bit of one way system near Taits Clock to get onto Dominic St to drive around the blocked street.

FWIW, I've nothing against closing of streets for festivals, in fact I was involved in one for City of Culture event in 2014.

The two main concerns/gripes I have was lack of advance notice/diversions for drivers and that I think it's too soon to have gatherings like what we saw on Catherine St on Saturday.

Cecil Street from O'Connell to Catherine Street was formally shut down all day Saturday so traffic through Catherine Street would have been less than normal (on the Councils twitter if anyone wants verification). I'm not 100% sure Catherine Street was formally shut down but the Gardai made no effort to stop the closure as traffic is minimal these days around that area.

Guards have to give access to residents/owners regardless of what's going on. Could have been a 10k strong 5G protest on the road and they would have to make safe clearance for local access if required.

That section of Cecil st is one way these days and wouldn't have much traffic anyway. Roches St, Mallow St (the busy arterys) and Glentworth St were still open though.

I'm all for further pedestrianisation, but please don't make out that this wasn't an illegal shutting down of a public road (even if it was let slide by the guards).

That section of Cecil st is one way these days and wouldn't have much traffic anyway. Roches St, Mallow St (the busy arterys) and Glentworth St were still open though.

I'm all for further pedestrianisation, but please don't make out that this wasn't an illegal shutting down of a public road (even if it was let slide by the guards).

I wasn't advocating that it was a legal shutdown or that the road closure shouldn't have been formally requested, even confirmed in my post I wasn't sure if Catherine Street itself was closed as I could only see Cecil Street being announced as closed.

phog wrote: »

I was there. Aggressive in that he wanted to drive through a street filled with pedestrians and some children and purposely parked his car in front of the barrier idling. His car is some version of a Toyota land cruiser, his field of vision was severely impeded had he progressed further than the barrier. To me personally I would find that aggressive behavior.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭DrGreenThumb82

I was there. Aggressive in that he wanted to drive through a street filled with pedestrians and some children and purposely parked his car in front of the barrier idling. His car is some version of a Toyota land cruiser, his field of vision was severely impeded had he progressed further than the barrier. To me personally I would find that aggressive behavior.

Aggressively parked with his car idling.

What a lunatic. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mdmix

Aggressively parked with his car idling.

What a lunatic. :D

yes, you can be aggressive while idling in a parked car

images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcTMVMWOJJ73VgJ93C-5_jYsM_fkosnW1cAKqK8TKBUcnky9PjtJ&usqp=CAU

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Reuters......South Korea....Confirming....Second wave....

Just saying.....

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Just saying.....

Posting from the ol' Telegraph machine, are ya? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Just saying.....

That was May 9th...so nearly 6 weeks ago

c.p.w.g.w wrote:
    That was May 9th...so nearly 6 weeks ago

You might want to check the auld Google machine as it's definitely today's news.

You might want to check the auld Google machine as it's definitely today's news.

It relates to an initial outbreak over a holiday weekend in early May. It says it in all the articles I've read.

It relates to an initial outbreak over a holiday weekend in early May. It says it in all the articles I've read.

Point still remains that today their centre for disease control officially called it a second wave, I don't have control over when the Korean government declares it publicly.

Do we have to argue every single point everyone posts?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭pigtown

Does anyone know where I could get some reusable masks in Limerick?

pigtown wrote:

Try the hardware stores if you want masks filters.

Not sure on the cloth masks if you are in no rush use Amazon thousands available on there.

I saw ads on done deal and adverts also.

• Advertisement

Be careful about sizes with some of the fabric masks, we picked some up and himself can't wear them because they were clearly cut from a small/female face pattern - pulled the ears off him when he did wear it and it ended up snapping from the strain.

We're still on the hunt for a "man sized" mask for him.

Asos, Reebok, and Nike are all doing fabric masks online.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭le_girl

pigtown wrote: »

Jetland Dunnes are selling packs of 5 reusable masks for €5. Across from the checkout in the clothes section. There's a stand with sanitisers, disposable masks and the reusable ones.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Eurogiant has reusable masks. They are very lightweight, so easy to wear but you might want to get a few of them to change between shops if you are out for a long time as I don't know how much they'd contain if you coughed/sneezed.

He was no more aggressive so than the 3 people preventing him from driving on a public road which was not officially closed to vehicular traffic.

They were just standing in the road, he was told to go another way. The streets are for people, not cars, or at least they should be.

They were just standing in the road, he was told to go another way. The streets are for people, not cars, or at least they should be.

Pedestrianised streets and footpaths are for people. Public roads are for cars. On this occasion the driver was right and the protesters were wrong as they were illegally blocking a public road.

That particular street is for vehicular traffic, a few people decided upon themselves to block the road - that's an aggressive action. They filmed the driver to try an intimidate him to move but fair play he stood his ground and insisted the gardai do their duty and re-open the road.

The pedestrian plan could almost use its own thread.

More bigger offices in Limerick looking for first or second phases of return at the beginning of July. Interesting to see if cases develop again as people begin to stop WFH and the country opens up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Pedestrianised streets and footpaths are for people. Public roads are for cars. On this occasion the driver was right and the protesters were wrong as they were illegally blocking a public road.

There’s nothing illegal about it though...

• Advertisement

There’s nothing illegal about it though...

Except that it is illegal. Road Traffic Act, 1961 .

98.—(1) A person shall not do any act (whether of commission or omission) which causes or is likely to cause traffic through any public place to be obstructed.

(2) A person who contravenes subsection (1) of this section shall be guilty of an offence.

(3) Where a person is charged with an offence under this section, it shall be a good defence to the charge for him to show that there was lawful authority for the act complained of or that it was due to unavoidable accident.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement