Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus in Limerick City

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

And god forbid we be honest. I'm going on the above stats. Why should we remove nursing/care home deaths if they're covid related? Look, I don't want to get into this, I've said my bit. I won't change my mind. Everyone is dealing with this differently, it's not right to be telling people they're over-reacting. There's no guarantee yet, I know my situation and I'll continue to do what I believe needs to be done. I was just pointing out that the crowd in the city today were not following recommendations or guidelines and in my own opinion I can see a second wave. That's all.

This x 10.

People are being morons in shops at the moment.

Had an old lad cough in my direction on Friday with no attempt to cover it.

No doubt there will be a second wave China, South Korea, US states that have reopened and parts of Germany show us that.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

kilburn wrote: »
    This x 10.

People are being morons in shops at the moment.

Had an old lad cough in my direction on Friday with no attempt to cover it.

No doubt there will be a second wave China, South Korea, US states that have reopened and parts of Germany show us that.

There hasn't been a second wave in China or South Korea, they found clusters and locked them down. There hasn't been a second wave in the US because they're still in the first wave. And while Germany has seen an uptake in cases, that is not yet a second wave.

Local outbreaks are to be expected and do not indicate a second wave. Read this.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/health-53113785

And god forbid we be honest. I'm going on the above stats. Why should we remove nursing/care home deaths if they're covid related? Look, I don't want to get into this, I've said my bit. I won't change my mind. Everyone is dealing with this differently, it's not right to be telling people they're over-reacting. There's no guarantee yet, I know my situation and I'll continue to do what I believe needs to be done. I was just pointing out that the crowd in the city today were not following recommendations or guidelines and in my own opinion I can see a second wave. That's all.

Second wave new clusters you know what I mean.

Still doesn't change the fact that people have forgotten the guidelines

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Second wave new clusters you know what I mean.

Still doesn't change the fact that people have forgotten the guidelines

There's a huge difference between new clusters and a second wave.

And as I said before some people not following the guidelines does not mean most people are not following them. I go back to frequency illusion. You're seeing some people not sticking to the guidelines and attributing it to everyone.

I also know from previous discussions that you believe that we should be 2m apart at all times and people should cross the road to avoid getting closer than that despite the advice saying differently. When you see that as not following the guidelines, then you're obviously going to think that nobody is following them. But we managed to suppress the virus despite people passing each other in the street without crossing the road.

The simple fact is that the experts are in agreement that the virus is practically nonexistent in the general public and you are extremely unlikely to catch it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,455 ✭✭✭sioda

We need to ban idiots wearing gloves just because you have gloves on does not make you immune.
    The amount of people who don't understand that is unreal

• Advertisement

sioda wrote: »
    We need to ban idiots wearing gloves just because you have gloves on does not make you immune.

Its unlikely they are mensa members.

I also know from previous discussions that you believe that we should be 2m apart at all times and people should cross the road to avoid getting closer than that despite the advice saying differently. When you see that as not following the guidelines, then you're obviously going to think that nobody is following them. But we managed to suppress the virus despite people passing each other in the street without crossing the road.

The footpaths and bridges have arrows painted on them to help keep people safe and regardless of what I believe how hard is it for people to follow arrows on the ground.

Jesus wept like are people so thick they don't understand it's there to help.

Crossing the road is being considerate if you see elderly or obviously disabled or sick people, I won't change my views or apologise to anyone for crossing the road or suggesting people do.

Not saying you but If that upsets the entitled pc snow flake brigade who are immune to everything, think rules don't apply to them and know all I don't care.

It's the decent and considerate thing to do.

sioda wrote:
    We need to ban idiots wearing gloves just because you have gloves on does not make you immune. The amount of people who don't understand that is unreal

Agreed but they remind you not to touch your face.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

A lot of people wear gloves because they have open cuts on their hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭ChewBerecca

iguana wrote: »
    A lot of people wear gloves because they have open cuts on their hands.

Or have skin conditions which prevent them from being able to use conventional hand sanitiser. Completely understandable for these people to need to use gloves in a correct manner when they can't access hand washing facilities with suitable hand-wash.

Best excuse I've heard is a girl who told the security guard at Supervalu the hand sanitiser would ruin her tan so she needed him to give her gloves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

Gloves, when used properly have a role in preventing fomite based transmission and act as a reminder to not touch your face. There is a space for gloves to be used properly but then you see people with gloves pulling out there phones with them on etc. Completely vitiates their potential for application.

But.. while on the topic. Masks don't make you immune either. I see poeple with masks on thinking this is fail safe shield to do whatever you want. Surgical masks generally only comply to EN14682:2019 [Source] standards which is in essence; they are a a barrier in preventing transmission from the wearer to another person but does NOT mean protects the wearer from inhaling infectious viral particles. Logic depicts they offer some level of protection to the wearer from viral particles but they are not tested or compliant for this use. Only by everyone using a mask will masks actually reveal their maximum potential, we are a far cry away from that happening. I don't understand why so many people are hesitant / refuse to wear face coverings in shops, public transport etc :( It's quite disheartening really. There is a huge need for public education on the topic as opposed to 15 second radio messages telling you when to wear them, I think they should give a little bit of the rationale behind it.

Gloves are a reminder not to touch your face... until they feel common. Touching your face happens very often, mostly without conscious thought.

Agree with masks, not unlike gloves, they tend to give people a sense of invincibility. The virus is so small that if you can breath(taking air from the environment) you can inhale the virus. Mask wearers protect other people.

It should be 100% mandatory on public transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,737 ✭✭✭✭phog

The #WeNeedSpace cabal organised a protest gathering on a section of Catherine Street yesterday, they closed the street at either end then proceeded to "party" in the area in front of a cafe on the street.

A lot of them didn't adhere to the current Covid19 guidelines about physical distancing or the wearing of masks. These are the same people who claim the need space because it's unsafe to pass people on the pavements of the city - you couldn't make this up.

They basically gave the 2 fingers to our frontline health care workers.

And some of them local councillors to boot great example to set

And some of them local councillors to boot great example to set

To be fair the organisers and businesses supporting the street closure asked for everyone to be safe and be distanced.

As Leo said everyone needs to assume personal responsibility, if some eejits can't eyeball and maintain 2m/6ft distance that's their own problem but the people around them also need to assume their own responsibility and either ask the offenders to keep their distance or move away themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

My father is one of these- and he is high risk for a few reasons. In fairness he’s doing everything else correctly but I see him wearing gloves constantly touching stuff then his face and there’s no talking to him about it.
    Met him out for a walk last week and he was wearing 2 pairs of gloves!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

phog wrote: »
    The #WeNeedSpace cabal organised a protest gathering on a section of Catherine Street yesterday, they closed the street at either end then proceeded to "party" in the area in front of a cafe on the street.

A lot of them didn't adhere to the current Covid19 guidelines about physical distancing or the wearing of masks. These are the same people who claim the need space because it's unsafe to pass people on the pavements of the city - you couldn't make this up.

They basically gave the 2 fingers to our frontline health care workers.

That's mad altogether. Be great if attention seeking w@nkers like that could be culled for the safety of the rest of the population.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,553 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

5G protest on Bedford Row yesterday, crowd of 20-30 there when I was passing, no distancing there either.

To be fair the organisers and businesses supporting the street closure asked for everyone to be safe and be distanced.

As Leo said everyone needs to assume personal responsibility, if some eejits can't eyeball and maintain 2m/6ft distance that's their own problem but the people around them also need to assume their own responsibility and either ask the offenders to keep their distance or move away themselves.

In organising it they were encouraging people to break the guidelines. Attendance alone was against the numbers permitted for outdoor gatherings nit to mind that some didn't wear masks or keep with the physical distancing guidelines.

In organising it they were encouraging people to break the guidelines. Attendance alone was against the numbers permitted for outdoor gatherings nit to mind that some didn't wear masks or keep with the physical distancing guidelines.

It was an open street, there were plenty just strolling through that stopped to have a look. Its not as if you could have security taking numbers at every entrance/exit to the area - fairly sure that would be illegal, blocking access to buildings because some people had stopped on a public street?

Wearing masks is only recommended in enclosed space or where social distancing cannot be followed (e.g. Public transport). Walking through the city, keeping 2m from other people, and not going into a shop - according to the Government, you do not need to wear a mask. Masks should also be taken off with care when you are back in the outdoors/in private cars/homes and fresh masks should be used if needed again.

Wearing a mask for a prolonged period of time (frankly unnecessarily if you're walking along an empty street) renders the mask a weapon. I wore one to the city centre the other week because I wanted to go the Milk Market, BTs and Boots. The mask was disgustingly wet when I took it off in the car after 2 hours. One sneeze or cough and I would have splattered my boyfriend with how much moisture it had absorbed.

To be honest I would have felt safer (for myself and those around me) if I had several masks with me and could pop one on when I needed to enter a shop, and taken it off and sanitised my hands when leaving the shop. Unfortunately I haven't had a chance to buy more washable masks and I personally don't like disposable masks because of the environmental impact.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CosmicFool

osarusan wrote: »
    5G protest on Bedford Row yesterday, crowd of 20-30 there when I was passing, no distancing there either.
    I stopped to have a listen. The absolute ****e coming out of their mouths. A guy passed with a BLM poster and he got surrounded by them. Poor chap. The whole group was either bored housewives and dole scroungers

It was an open street, there were plenty just strolling through that stopped to have a look. Its not as if you could have security taking numbers at every entrance/exit to the area - fairly sure that would be illegal, blocking access to buildings because some people had stopped on a public street?

Wearing masks is only recommended in enclosed space or where social distancing cannot be followed (e.g. Public transport). Walking through the city, keeping 2m from other people, and not going into a shop - according to the Government, you do not need to wear a mask. Masks should also be taken off with care when you are back in the outdoors/in private cars/homes and fresh masks should be used if needed again.

Wearing a mask for a prolonged period of time (frankly unnecessarily if you're walking along an empty street) renders the mask a weapon. I wore one to the city centre the other week because I wanted to go the Milk Market, BTs and Boots. The mask was disgustingly wet when I took it off in the car after 2 hours. One sneeze or cough and I would have splattered my boyfriend with how much moisture it had absorbed.

To be honest I would have felt safer (for myself and those around me) if I had several masks with me and could pop one on when I needed to enter a shop, and taken it off and sanitised my hands when leaving the shop. Unfortunately I haven't had a chance to buy more washable masks and I personally don't like disposable masks because of the environmental impact.

The organisers of events/protests have to be sure their events don't break Covid19 regulations regarding numbers in attendance. Obviously individuals are responsible for whether they want to wear and or adhere to physical distancing guidlines.

But the iriony here is this group are some of the same people that last week felt it was unsafe to pass someone on a pavement, hence the hashtag #weneedspace , yet can gather in numbers greater than allowed by Covid19 regulations to party.

The organisers of events/protests have to be sure their events don't break Covid19 regulations regarding numbers in attendance. Obviously individuals are responsible for whether they want to wear and or adhere to physical distancing guidlines.

But the iriony here is this group are some of the same people that last week felt it was unsafe to pass someone on a pavement, hence the hashtag #weneedspace , yet can gather in numbers greater than allowed by Covid19 regulations to party.

The Catherine Street event was in response to the pedestrianisation plan, or the councils pitiful attempt at agree to one. To show the city needs less car-centric infrastructure, people need to be given more space back on the streets rather than it consistently going to cars and parking. Having seen pictures of the event, and spoken to those there, most people were socially distant and a large number were just walking through and stopped to chat to friends. The individual groups for the most part didn't exceed the current limit for outdoor gatherings.

Using the logic you're employing, we should be shutting down Penneys as well, the queue stretches to the Shannon each day and there's constantly at least 50 people standing and sitting directly outside the store with brown paper bags. By opening, should Penneys also be ensuring they are not causing breaches on outdoor gatherings by having security moving people on from outside the store?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

This was an open event and how were they to know how many would attend? They advised everyone to maintain social distancing and wear a mask if possible. They cant control people's actions though. Like someone said above, the chance of catching it is one in a million.

The Catherine Street event was in response to the pedestrianisation plan, or the councils pitiful attempt at agree to one. To show the city needs less car-centric infrastructure, people need to be given more space back on the streets rather than it consistently going to cars and parking. Having seen pictures of the event, and spoken to those there, most people were socially distant and a large number were just walking through and stopped to chat to friends.

They would say that, wouldn't they.

But I passed through it a few times and some of the photos show them to be within 2m of each other. A guy on twitter claimed everyone was wearing masks - look at the photos and you'll see loads were not wearing masks so forgive if I don't believe everything that is being said about how well the event was organised.
    The individual groups for the most part didn't exceed the current limit for outdoor gatherings.

They either did or they didn't exceed the recommended numbers, there's no half measures.

Even a cursory look at the numbers standing around will show that they did in fact exceed the numbers.

Using the logic you're employing, we should be shutting down Penneys as well, the queue stretches to the Shannon each day and there's constantly at least 50 people standing and sitting directly outside the store with brown paper bags. By opening, should Penneys also be ensuring they are not causing breaches on outdoor gatherings by having security moving people on from outside the store?
    Penney's have markings on the pavement for where people to stand while queuing and last week they had a security guy patrolling the queue.

There was zero markings at the Catherine Street festival to show where people could and shouldn't stand. There was flagrant disregard shown by the attendees at the street party for the Covid19 regulations

Mc Love wrote: »
    This was an open event and how were they to know how many would attend? They advised everyone to maintain social distancing and wear a mask if possible. They cant control people's actions though. Like someone said above, the chance of catching it is one in a million.

It was an organised event - the organisers have a responsibility to our Health Care workers.

Penney's have markings on the pavement for where people to stand while queuing and last week they had a security guy patrolling the queue.

There was zero markings at the Catherine Street festival to show where people could and shouldn't stand. There was flagrant disregard shown by the attendees at the street party for the Covid19 regulations

Those markings are for a queueing system to enter a physical building and prevent shoppers from becoming aggressive. I don't see any markings at the front of the store where 50+ people sit outside once finished shopping. The security guards also make zero attempts to disperse the crowds that congregate post shop. Why is this? Because its a public street once you have left the shop. If the guards saw issue with the amount of people on a public street at any one time, they would be patrolling the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Cordell

CosmicFool wrote: »
    I stopped to have a listen. The absolute ****e coming out of their mouths. A guy passed with a BLM poster and he got surrounded by them. Poor chap. The whole group was either bored housewives and dole scroungers

Well, tbh they deserve each other :)

Those markings are for a queueing system to enter a physical building and prevent shoppers from becoming aggressive. I don't see any markings at the front of the store where 50+ people sit outside once finished shopping. The security guards also make zero attempts to disperse the crowds that congregate post shop. Why is this? Because its a public street once you have left the shop. If the guards saw issue with the amount of people on a public street at any one time, they would be patrolling the area.

So you want the store to be responsible for their customer's activites once they've exited the stored and moved on.

Yet you think the organisers of an on street event should have no responsibility for those that attend the event

Speaking with forked tongues there, I think.

• Advertisement

Didn't the guards intervene at the Catherine St protest

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement