Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW i Is Back i4

Options
  • 03-03-2020 9:57am
    Subscribers Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭

Well the big boys from Bavaria are coming

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

TCP/IP wrote: »
    Well the big boys from Bavaria are coming

How much? Wonder if it will qualify for the €50k BIK exemption...

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,065 ✭✭✭✭beertons

There's that front again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

Dem Nostrils .... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,323 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Why is the engine bay so big ? Looks like they designed an ICE and then decided to make it an EV

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Summer2020

Serious competition for Tesla. Love the looks and interior. Makes the Teslas look quite dated.

• Advertisement

Summer2020 wrote: »
    Serious competition for Tesla. Love the looks and interior. Makes the Teslas look quite dated.

I don’t like the cockpit.maybe he had his seat to forward but it looked cramped and cluttered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

Any guesses at pricing?
    An old page on the concept version has 65k in Germany

https://ev-database.org/car/1252/BMW-i4

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

Serious lack of innovation in style department. It's an ice car form factor. The "grill" is ridiculous in a car that doesn't need one.

IMO whole thing is compromised by, being built to the constraints put on it, by it's ice siblings it's built along with.

Forget the past embrace the future, design a dedicated ev platform and not some compromised mishmash.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

Looks like the GT 5 series shape but made to look much better. If the production car is more subtle which is normally the case then it could be a nice car.

• Subscribers Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

I think its great to see BMW release this car as it will only drive the move towards electrification.
    Lots of people dont see Tesla as a luxury brand will not move from BMW/Merc so this will give them options and that is what is needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,534 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Will wait until I see the production version and not the concept (thanks for the misleading video title, Top Gear), but I really love it - I would imagine the final grille will be toned down, but I don't mind it as-is. You can't lose the grille on a BMW, no matter how non-functional it is, it's a crucial part of what makes a BMW look immediately like a BMW. That said, I dislike large cars, so I've no interest in buying it myself, I just hope we see an eventual 1-series electric.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,979 ✭✭✭✭unkel

As a fan of BMW I welcome them back into the fold of EVs. Although they are very late to the party and I can't say I get a warm feeling from the looks of that concept car.

Harald Krüger will go down in history as the man who (almost) ruined BMW :(

• Registered Users Posts: 31,020 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

600km WLTP from 80kWh on 21" wheels seems, eh, optimistic.

By comparison, Model 3 P gets 530km from 74kWh on 20". Scaling that up to 80kWh might give 573km.

Unless the Cd is 0.22 or below of course and BMW has a significantly more efficient drive train than Tesla :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭the corpo

I think that looks *smashing*

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

unkel wrote: »
    Unless the Cd is 0.22 or below of course

Considering the 2016 onwards (very boxy shaped) BMW 5 series has a better drag coefficient than every Tesla ever designed - Model 3, S & X, since 2016, I'd say that is entirely probable ;).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

This 120k i4 looks like a credible alternative to the 70k Tesla model 3 performance. So long as you are bad at maths.

Kramer wrote: »
    Considering the 2016 onwards (very boxy shaped) BMW 5 series has a better drag coefficient than every Tesla ever designed - Model 3, S & X, since 2016, I'd say that is entirely probable ;).

The G30 BMW has a Cd of 0.22. Just looked it up. I honestly didn't know when I mentioned that same figure above :)

This car is likely to have something similar. And BMW has form when it comes to efficiency. The boxy 2013 (!) i3 is the 3rd most efficient EV ever made after the very aerodynamic Ioniq and Tesla Model 3

So yes, entirely possible that the WLTP range will be as claimed. BMW does not have a history of bullsh1tting with figures either.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,843 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

bloody hell, that or a tesla model 3? LOL! I could not give a toss about whatever fractionally different range or irreleveant split second differences to 100 or whatever. If the bm, looks anything like that!!! Drool!

Ive seen a few models 3 around, impressive cars and I love tesla. But they are only meh looks wise in my opinion...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

It also the 5th gen EV drive train which apparently smashes the Gen 4 out the park when it comes to efficiency.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

has a bulls face, its interesting though, wonder what the final version will look like

Idbatterim wrote: »
    bloody hell, that or a tesla model 3? LOL! I could not give a toss about whatever fractionally different range or irreleveant split second differences to 100 or whatever. If the bm, looks anything like that!!! Drool!

Ive seen a few models 3 around, impressive cars and I love tesla. But they are only meh looks wise in my opinion...

There's the not fractionally different price, though!

Tesla has gone from selling $100k+ cars to $50k cars for several reasons. One of those reasons is that the mainstream manufacturers can beat the fit and finish and are catching up with drivetrain and battery tech, so it is exploiting its scale to hit the mid-range.

I don't see Model S and X sales recovering once the European "legacy automakers" can hit the range and performance numbers, although Tesla does present something of a moving target so it's difficult to be sure.

I think its actually going towards the Tesla aeshtetic....but yes it looks good, I hope the extra cost is worth it. The exterior is a bit polarising, very lexus in the rear and that front is weird to say the least. But people who will buy this will have to make that decision. I cannot see that selling for less than 120k new.

If your willing to go with the exterior styling choices, I think the same could be said for the model 3 interior...its a class interior to sit in and far more cool that a 3 series.

I think its actually going towards the Tesla aeshtetic....but yes it looks good, I hope the extra cost is worth it. The exterior is a bit polarising, very lexus in the rear and that front is weird to say the least. But people who will buy this will have to make that decision. I cannot see that selling for less than 120k new.

If your willing to go with the exterior styling choices, I think the same could be said for the model 3 interior...its a class interior to sit in and far more cool that a 3 series.

oh, the guy mentions 65k sterling, at that price, its a hell of a lot of car, but 120k euro?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

Bit 90's jap import about the model 3 in the flesh. I'd be all over that i4 if it's not mentally priced.

I am assuming it will be lunacy priced here as usual, but bring one in after six months from the uk over whatever mileage it has to be and with the % dirt cheap VRT, it will be a hell of a buy, I assume. Sterling has strenghtened quite a lot though recently... euro trading at near 87p now...

I am assuming it will be lunacy priced here as usual, but bring one in after six months from the uk over whatever mileage it has to be and with the % dirt cheap VRT, it will be a hell of a buy, I assume. Sterling has strenghtened quite a lot though recently... euro trading at near 87p now...

Brexit will be long done before the i4 ever sees light of day as a used car.

Maybe we should switch to LHD. :D

Peatys wrote: »
    Bit 90's jap import about the model 3 in the flesh. I'd be all over that i4 if it's not mentally priced.

65k will be for whatever base spec they have, add nice interior, soundsystem, and the things everyone will want and you will be at 80 sterling in no time. Landed here thats 120k and the grants may well be gone by then. Doubtless there will be performance variants at even greater cost.

I also notice it has a large enough transmission tunnel for some reason???

I would say you could have a brand new model 3 performance and a 151 F82 m4 for the cost of it. I really hope that BMW stop being knobs and price this appropriately. I specced a M8 competition for fun at lunchtime at it was 225k. BMW cannot compete in that price bracket. And while Tesla are not styling cars all that well, they certainly have the "Q" car market sown up.

I had a bright red F82 M4 before my model 3, and honestly the model 3 is a nicer place to sit.

Depends on what kind of trade deal happens. Might be extra levies

• Advertisement

many bm are just comedy full stop, from new price here. The new 8 series is class, how much are they landed here now? they are absolutely not worth what they sell for new here, half that and you are in the ball park in my opinion.

Advertisement