Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards GS - Royal Curragh - 28th March 2020 - CANCELLED

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭hurikane

Lads please please call this off there is no need for people traveling from all over the country look what is happening this morning in France How do we know that one of us might catch it or pass it one to someone else who in turn could give it to one of our loved ones who might have a reduced ability to fight the disease. Why would we even want to be away from our families at a time like this, This will pass we will play together again. Our country has been ahead of the curve in a lot of respects so should we ,,,,,,,,,,Cancel Please.

Calling off is the right thing to do.

Even the GUI don’t think it’s a good idea. "Visitors (e.g. societies, open days) either require some form of screening or should be discouraged for the time being."

https://www.golfnet.ie/news/golfnet/4642/new-statement-on-coronavirus-covid-19?utm_source=Circulator&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=New%20statement%20from%20GUI%20and%20ILGU%20%20Club%20membership%20more%20important%20than%20ever%20%20COVID-19

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭princess poppy

Lads, I’m sorry but I’m pulling out til things pick up again

• Registered Users Posts: 15,846 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

hurikane wrote: »

who are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Lads, I’m sorry but I’m pulling out til things pick up again

No problem poppy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

Even the GUI don’t think it’s a good idea. "Visitors (e.g. societies, open days) either require some form of screening or should be discouraged for the time being."

https://www.golfnet.ie/news/golfnet/4642/new-statement-on-coronavirus-covid-19?utm_source=Circulator&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=New%20statement%20from%20GUI%20and%20ILGU%20%20Club%20membership%20more%20important%20than%20ever%20%20COVID-19

It in the same post they say

“Golf club members can still play and enjoy their golf while acting within the guidelines issued by the Health Service Executive in the Republic of Ireland and Public Health Agency in Northern Ireland”

So, assuming we take all the recommendations into account I would ask how it would be any different than playing at your own club?

• Advertisement

Hi All,

Was on the phone with Paul from Royal Curragh this morning (whos being very accommodating & a gent throughout)

This is the Curraghs current state of affairs:
    • The Course is Open, but operating on Car Park Golf. It will remain open, unless there is specific instructions to shut down
    • The Clubhouse & Restaurant is closed
    • The Pro Shop is open & they do have a stock of drinks & snacks (bars, etc...)
    • All Bunkers are out of play
    • Pins are left in and they've left upturned the cups to shrink the depth people have to reach in to retrieve their ball
    • Ball should only be touched with gloved hands when retrieving it from the hole
    • Follow all government guidelines in relation to social distancing (keep 2 metres apart at all times, etc...)
    • They will remain flexible the whole time. If we made a call the night before & said we can't make it, there will be no issues at all & no penalties. They're trying to be as accommodating as possible whilst keeping traffic on the place, as they are an operation that needs flow to keep things going.

So, as things stand, things can still go ahead. GolfGraffix has said that he will set up online scoring, which helps remove the need for scorecards to be touched.

If we have to use scorecards, the rule will be, mark your own card (I think we can trust most of you)

Just to reiterate, if you can't go, can you make sure to let us know asap, and can you update Teamer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭willabur

Thanks Space

I have played a couple of comps since this whole thing has kicked off. We just need to be practical out there. Act as if you have the virus and behave accordingly

looking forward to the outing

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

Hi All,

Was on the phone with Paul from Royal Curragh this morning (whos being very accommodating & a gent throughout)

• The Course is Open, but operating on Car Park Golf. It will remain open, unless there is specific instructions to shut down
    • Pins are left in and they've left upturned the cups to shrink the depth people have to reach in to retrieve their ball
    • Ball should only be touched with gloved hands when retrieving it from the hole
    • Follow all government guidelines in relation to social distancing (keep 2 metres apart at all times, etc...)
    • They will remain flexible the whole time. If we made a call the night before & said we can't make it, there will be no issues at all & no penalties. They're trying to be as accommodating as possible whilst keeping traffic on the place, as they are an operation that needs flow to keep things going.

So, as things stand, things can still go ahead. GolfGraffix has said that he will set up online scoring, which helps remove the need for scorecards to be touched.

If we have to use scorecards, the rule will be, mark your own card (I think we can trust most of you)

Just to reiterate, if you can't go, can you make sure to let us know asap, and can you update Teamer

Perfect, no fuss there so

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Welcome to the golf forum. Posting history suggests you're active in corona threads and critical of the cheltenham races going ahead. Your dissatisfaction with cheltenham is may be why you found this curragh thread here :)

I just wanted to point out golf in the curragh is a world different to what happened in cheltenham. There's no spectators and also a number of significant changes to golf procedures to ensure that no one is in contact with one another.

I've started going out some days here with the little one to the course that I'm a member of for chipping and putting practice. I can tell you that courses have adopted mature level-headed strategies for removing the need for contact with each other or for there to be any reason to be indoors or beside other people. They have taken this seriously. Going to the course with her is the same as going for a walk on the beach, or going to the phoenix park - all fresh air activities in isolation which we will continue to do up until the government advises against and the the "cocooning phase" begins.

Hi All,

Just mark your partners score on your own card as well and you can agree tally at the end

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Golfhead65 wrote: »
    Perfect, no fuss there so

Amazing. You had a right go at our club for similar actions last week and now it's no fuss. Interesting times indeed.

Amazing. You had a right go at our club for similar actions last week and now it's no fuss. Interesting times indeed.

No fuss as comps still being played, not stopped like your club

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Golfhead65 wrote: »
    No fuss as comps still being played, not stopped like your club

So obviously you disagree with the approach the GUI are taking too. You should contact them to express your dissatisfaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,846 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

give over will ya

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Kingswood Rover

Evening folks, you all know my stance on this, i have declined on teamer. i am not on the Whats app group but it seems the committee have done a good job on mitigating the majority of risk. The golf is not where the risk of spread is we all know that. Its that chance touching of a surface when getting your petrol or coffee in a shop, then touching your mouth eyes or nose on the for what is lets be honest is an unnecessary and for many a long journey to the Curragh. Stay safe folks and keep your hands in your pockets.

Just totally deleting the comment

Respond to the post please, not attack the poster

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Ok folks, calm down and ease off the stronger personal comments please.

There is a separate Corona Virus thread here to post general comments to, this is specific to the next outing, if you are posting in relation to that then fair enough but the general Corona comments belong in that thread

Stay safe all

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

Comment deleted

Again, calm down, feeding troll comments just extends the badness

• Registered Users Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

slave1 wrote: »
    Again, calm down, feeding troll comments just extends the badness

Not sure he was trolling. He’s part of our society. The proper thing to do would be apologise for his teacher comment. But I doubt he would have the balls.

I might just go to the Curragh game just to confront him.

Not sure why my early post was deleted ? I chose my words carefully and attacked the post not the poster

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Not sure he was trolling. He’s part of our society. The proper thing to do would be apologise for his teacher comment. But I doubt he would have the balls.

I might just go to the Curragh game just to confront him.

Not sure why my early post was deleted ? I chose my words carefully and attacked the post not the poster

Fighting isnt allowed without in 'social distancing'!!

Calm down lads....lets all be sensible.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,806 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Lads,

This isn't moderation , I think. Or pointed at any individual.

Just background - I'm going to society outings a long time..

The covid thing is a complete nightmare. But people should know that the general tone in the society is one of friendship and a relaxed fun atmosphere. Just would be disappointing if this changes.

People are trying their best and are ultimately volunteers - the atmosphere on the thread and at outings , should be reflective of the spirit of the society.

Maybe the committee / captain should post.

But - I for one, will not be going to outings , if that spirit and ethos doesn't stay , during and post this difficult time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭willabur

Hah, anyone else just get a dose of the tackleberrys #missedthefight

Happy to post on things, but didn't see any of the above as mods had deleted the posts already.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

any idea when teetimes will be out lads??

Also will there be a group hug in the car park on the day to wish each other the best of luck in our round??

OK All, this is the proposed timesheet for the day. If I've mixed up any times preferences, please let me know asap, and I'll update (there was a good bit of re-jigging, so very good chance I've gotten someone mixed up)

We're at 38 Golfers. I've included 2 people on here, who I didn't have on my list. One user JoeCole26 who accepted on Teamer, but I don't have on my version of the database. The other is thecomedian, who I can't see on Teamer yet, but who contacted me via PM (he should hopefully have gotten on to Seve OB with his details)

One thing that you might have noticed is that I'm not on the list to play. I'm a type 1 diabetic, so am in the high risk category. Its absolutely killing me not to go here, as I'm itching to get out and play as much golf as I can, but I really can't justify taking on the extra exposure. I've got no symptoms, etc... and its been playing on my mind heavily for the last week or 2, but I think I'll have to retire from golf for a while.

Tee Time|Player 1|Player 2|Player 3
    11:10|Break80|FixDePitchMark
    11:20|Rossyd2005|Pakman|Gypsy79
    11:30|Willabur|Benny79|Asimo1
    11:40|Roadrunner|Alanm|Woodyg
    11:50|Panic Stations|Paulos53|Gmur1894
    12:00|Slave1|Recycled|Scubapro
    12:10|JoeCole26|A Post Punk|Snackbox20
    12:20|CharlieIRL|Golfhead65|Tigerwood1
    12:30|BigChap1759|Ballyman|OS_Head
    12:40|Rainbow Warrior|Kevh1984|Timgolfer
    12:50|Macker1|Ballyk|thecomedian
    13:00|Kiith|Golfnut203|Jarrieta
    13:10|The Big Easy|Iang87|Seve OB

I'll continue to keep updates on here, if I hear anything else from the Curragh, and please remember, if you have any change in circumstances, just let us know so that we can track numbers & make sure that everything lines up OK.

I know everyone has been a bit tense & things have gotten a bit fraught in here in the last while. Can everyone just respect each other & their opinions, and avoid making anyone feel uncomfortable at any times. We're all in this together, so lets make the best of a bad situation.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Sorry to hear you can't make it Space, but better safe then sorry when you're at higher risk. Happy to help out on the day if there's anything i can do.

Can I suggest everyone has €35 in exact notes to avoid unnecessary passing of notes handing back change etc...

Is Revolut an option?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

I actually have a 3 week old 50 in my wallet. Considering I have a 2 year old and wife who sit around all day and leech off me :D that shows how little cash is used.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement