Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Getting back playing...

• 26-02-2020 12:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭

So been a few years out, really only played one solid summer in 10 years but back this year...

Looking at trying to join the grange in rathfarnham (on my doorstep) but pricey... I am looking at it as thinking about my 2 lads (6&4) that they can walk to the course in about 2 mins which will be a huge benefit in summers as they get older.

Anyone a member there?

Anyone around that area have any advice on good value courses in the meantime to get back swinging?

I was a low handicapper 10 years ago and have kept swinging from time to time but nothing solid but aiming to be back in single figures by the end of the summer.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,007 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Rippeditup wrote: »
    So been a few years out, really only played one solid summer in 10 years but back this year...

Looking at trying to join the grange in rathfarnham (on my doorstep) but pricey... I am looking at it as thinking about my 2 lads (6&4) that they can walk to the course in about 2 mins which will be a huge benefit in summers as they get older.

Anyone a member there?

Anyone around that area have any advice on good value courses in the meantime to get back swinging?

I was a low handicapper 10 years ago and have kept swinging from time to time but nothing solid but aiming to be back in single figures by the end of the summer.

Yep, myself and Luckycharm are members.

Rathfarnham, Stackstown and Edmondstown are very close and pretty good quality alternatives.

Further afield you have the likes of Beechpark, Castlewarden etc

You could try joining any of the above (inc Grange) as a Pavillion and see how you go, pretty sure it opens for new members every month and there are competitions etc during the summer months and access to the extra holes/practice areas that would get you out swinging without having to get all organised for competitive golf

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Rippeditup

I am looking at 7 day for Grange... Investment in my opinion. I like to be a member of a club and was in Ashbourne and Island for a long time.
    I have put in a form but know nobody who are members there which is my blocker but chatting to them to meet some members.

I live on whitechurch road in the bunglows so can hit lob wedges in there already :P

I am looking at 7 day for Grange... Investment in my opinion. I like to be a member of a club and was in Ashbourne and Island for a long time.
    I have put in a form but know nobody who are members there which is my blocker but chatting to them to meet some members.

I live on whitechurch road in the bunglows so can hit lob wedges in there already :P

In that case would you mind throwing a few of my balls back? :o

The easiest way to get in if you dont know anyone is to start as pavillion I reckon. Its less onerous and it gives people/the club a chance to get to know you without fully investing in you.

GreeBo wrote: »

The easiest way to get in if you dont know anyone is to start as pavillion I reckon. Its less onerous and it gives people/the club a chance to get to know you without fully investing in you.

Will try this if they don't accept the current application. I am due to meet the captain as was talking to the office earlier. As I was a scratch handicap (many years ago) I am trying to use this as leverage..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

Anyone a member there?

Hi, I was a member of Stackstown years ago but still play it by greenfee,
    it'll be ALOT cheaper than the grange and is only the other side of Marley park, but if you can afford the grange yes it is lovely, Edmonstown as Greenbo has said is nice too, but again expensive, and the membership is very snooty, alan shatter and his clan are perfect examples.The Castle is a smashing course aswell and not too far away if you like tree lined tight courses

• Advertisement

Hi, I was a member of Stackstown years ago but still play it by greenfee,
    it'll be ALOT cheaper than the grange and is only the other side of Marley park, but if you can afford the grange yes it is lovely, Edmonstown as Greenbo has said is nice too, but again expensive, and the membership is very snooty, alan shatter and his clan are perfect examples.The Castle is a smashing course aswell and not too far away if you like tree lined tight courses

i joined and played Stackstown for a year but struggled with the course as want to let loose sometimes with a driver but found the bounces and finikyness of the course frustrating.

The reason for the Grange is my boys as living 2 min walk is great as they get older, I spent all day every day on the course when I was a kid and loved it so would love to give them that option.

Edmonstown looks nice as my eldests school is beside it but I have heard a few stories about membership and that few extra mins drive ...

I want to be in a real club again as grew up playing in Ashbourne and then Island which had great club feels about them and see similar in the grange

i joined and played Stackstown for a year but struggled with the course as want to let loose sometimes with a driver but found the bounces and finikyness of the course frustrating.

The reason for the Grange is my boys as living 2 min walk is great as they get older, I spent all day every day on the course when I was a kid and loved it so would love to give them that option.

Edmonstown looks nice as my eldests school is beside it but I have heard a few stories about membership and that few extra mins drive ...

I want to be in a real club again as grew up playing in Ashbourne and then Island which had great club feels about them and see similar in the grange

Well you won't be smashing a driver too much in Grange...other than in frustration :)

If you are likely to play interclub then you have a better chance of getting in, but without any evidence of playing that might be an issue...

It's a great clubs for kids (nowadays!), lots of summer camps, competitions, interclub and lessons from the pros thrown in.

Well you won't be smashing a driver too much in Grange...other than in frustration :)

If you are likely to play interclub then you have a better chance of getting in, but without any evidence of playing that might be an issue...

It's a great clubs for kids (nowadays!), lots of summer camps, competitions, interclub and lessons from the pros thrown in.

Yeah looking at getting into interclub.. Getting a chat in place with the captain so will plead my case.

If your not in you can't win..

There are clubs all around the country crying out for members like you OP. Played to a high standard so can play inter club and can get straight to playing with existing members in comps without holding them back, living next to the course so less likely to move to another club and having a couple of kids you want to introduce to the game. Unless your club of choice is currently closed to new membership then i can't see any issue with getting to join up.

There are clubs all around the country crying out for members like you OP. Played to a high standard so can play inter club and can get straight to playing with existing members in comps without holding them back, living next to the course so less likely to move to another club and having a couple of kids you want to introduce to the game. Unless your club of choice is currently closed to new membership then i can't see any issue with getting to join up.

That is my hope, they seem to be open but very choosey which i understand as its location is in a urban setting and its a really good club with some great facilities.

Fingers crossed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭ProV

The easiest way to get in if you dont know anyone is to start as pavillion I reckon. Its less onerous and it gives people/the club a chance to get to know you without fully INVESTING IN YOU.
    Hopefully GreeBo is not a spokesperson for Grange Golf Club inc !, the type of Archaic comment::::: "It's less onerous and it gives people/the club a chance to get to know you Without Fully INVESTING IN YOU" is a part of what is killing golf. The OP is exactly the kind of golfer Grange should be inviting to join, a family man with mini future golfers living just outside the gate, but not welcome apparently.

The 2020 Golfing community need to listen to this kind of outside the box thinking >>>
    https://www.golf-monthly.co.uk/news/slumbers-clubs-are-not-providing-a-product-golfers-want-to-buy-192506

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

ProV wrote: »
    Hopefully GreeBo is not a spokesperson for Grange Golf Club inc !, the type of Archaic comment::::: "It's less onerous and it gives people/the club a chance to get to know you Without Fully INVESTING IN YOU" is a part of what is killing golf. The OP is exactly the kind of golfer Grange should be inviting to join, a family man with mini future golfers living just outside the gate, but not welcome apparently.

The 2020 Golfing community need to listen to this kind of outside the box thinking >>>
    https://www.golf-monthly.co.uk/news/slumbers-clubs-are-not-providing-a-product-golfers-want-to-buy-192506

The club is full they don't need the income from new members so why should they open the door.
    It sounds like the OP wants to join and is happy to do what he has to do to get in.

This is how it was you joined a club often having to wait on a list, there was no talk of clubs closing or being in trouble so it sounds like a very stable club with a very good future.

ProV wrote: »

What you consider archaic, we consider tradition, interviews are the mechanism we use to maintain the standards of the club.
    Grange Golf Club is not "killing golf", if anything its the opposite.

Neither you nor I know anything about the OP other than what he has posted, so with the greatest of respect saying he is "exactly the kind of golfer Grange should be inviting to join" is just nonsense. No idea where your "not welcome" comment is coming from, the OP has meetings with the Captain of the club lined up?

Why would any club that has more applicants than places just open their doors to anyone that they know nothing about?:confused:

#outrage

What you consider archaic, we consider tradition, interviews are the mechanism we use to maintain the standards of the club.
    Grange Golf Club is not "killing golf", if anything its the opposite.

Neither you nor I know anything about the OP other than what he has posted, so with the greatest of respect saying he is "exactly the kind of golfer Grange should be inviting to join" is just nonsense. No idea where your "not welcome" comment is coming from, the OP has meetings with the Captain of the club lined up?

Why would any club that has more applicants than places just open their doors to anyone that they know nothing about?:confused:

#outrage

So I am OP and not attacking the policy at all, I have been more than welcome from everyone I spoke too in there and was meeting a few people there over the weekend..

I don't want to do a Pavillion membership as I want to play but do get that being seen is a good approach. Its the ideal club for me with location but I know its a in demand club in a great location and for me the best in the area so as I said I just need to keep knocking on the door.

For me this is an investment as the best club is the closest and for my kids being so close would be a huge weight off our shoulders as they could walk up from a young age (that tough 3 mins), for me golf as a youngster is amazing, you learn manners, etiquite and are in a safe environment and both my lads are showing an interest.

Have a few meetings this week so fingers crossed

So I am OP and not attacking the policy at all
    Not attacking you at all!

I don't want to do a Pavillion membership as I want to play but do get that being seen is a good approach

Pavillions do have playing rights and unlimited access to the extra holes and practice areas, you might be confusing them with House members who have no playing rights...?

If not successful getting full membership I would strongly recommend that you take pavillion option as its seriously taken into account when new membership comes around. (and you get to put your pavillion sub towards joining fee)

Not attacking you at all!

Pavillions do have playing rights and unlimited access to the extra holes and practice areas, you might be confusing them with House members who have no playing rights...?

If not successful getting full membership I would strongly recommend that you take pavillion option as its seriously taken into account when new membership comes around. (and you get to put your pavillion sub towards joining fee)

ahhhh right I am mixing it up.. Will do if I don't get in.

ahhhh right I am mixing it up.. Will do if I don't get in.

During summer months there are pavillion comps on the main course also on one Saturday a month, there are deffo other comps avail but I dont have the details to hand.
    However I think you can also play in the late evening qualifying 9 hole comps.

During summer months there are pavillion comps on the main course also on one Saturday a month, there are deffo other comps avail but I dont have the details to hand.
    However I think you can also play in the late evening qualifying 9 hole comps.

So wonder will this lay-off open up any slots when it’s back open.. meet the captain and a few members and was supposed to have a spot in April so hopefully as it opens up there will be a few spots as they will need some cash in I imagine..
    it’s on my doorstep and been practicing hard on the net and putt out the last few weeks

So wonder will this lay-off open up any slots when it’s back open.. meet the captain and a few members and was supposed to have a spot in April so hopefully as it opens up there will be a few spots as they will need some cash in I imagine..
    it’s on my doorstep and been practicing hard on the net and putt out the last few weeks

If people leave there will be openings, though typically they are once a year (for the elections)

Needing money doesnt matter if there are no spaces, as membership numbers are controlled by the constitution and would need an A/EGM to change.

Place is in excellent condition, you can see some uptodate videos on youtube.:o
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgmB-o6EQ7KTCqHZhg_0hcQ

/edit
    one from just 2 hours ago in fact

If people leave there will be openings, though typically they are once a year (for the elections)

Needing money doesnt matter if there are no spaces, as membership numbers are controlled by the constitution and would need an A/EGM to change.

Place is in excellent condition, you can see some uptodate videos on youtube.:o
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgmB-o6EQ7KTCqHZhg_0hcQ

/edit
    one from just 2 hours ago in fact

Sure been walking Marley daily and looking in, looks in amazing condition.
    There was a few spots coming in April (back on Feb that was) so hoping they keep that spot.

They asked a few of my old teammates for reference already as some players knew me and mates of mine from junior golf.

Dying to have a game at this stage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭JoeCole26

Hi, I am also looking to join a golf club within 20-25 min driving distance of Dundrum. Have reached out to a few over the past week or so - would appreciate any thoughts on the following I am looking at :

Powerscourt, Grange Castle (heard it's hard to get tee times at weekends?), Dun Laoghaire, Druids Heath (bit further than I would like)

Any other suggestions also very welcome. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

JoeCole26 wrote: »
    Hi, I am also looking to join a golf club within 20-25 min driving distance of Dundrum. Have reached out to a few over the past week or so - would appreciate any thoughts on the following I am looking at :

Powerscourt, Grange Castle (heard it's hard to get tee times at weekends?), Dun Laoghaire, Druids Heath (bit further than I would like)

Any other suggestions also very welcome. Thanks!

Lisheen Springs would be an option and there are quite a few members from the Dundrum/Ballinteer/Lepardstown area

Golfhead65 wrote: »
    Lisheen Springs would be an option and there are quite a few members from the Dundrum/Ballinteer/Lepardstown area

+1 on Lisheen, nice course (though the back 9 is much stronger than the front IMO)
    Not sure what commute times would be like as I've only every gone there off peak.

Did you try Rathfarnham, Stackstown, Beechpark?

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Mr Mister

I'm living in the Dundrum area and ended up joining Stackstown last October. Was really enjoying it pre-Covid - good club atmosphere, solid course and most importantly close-by.....would love to be nipping up now for 9 holes in the evening! No joining fee and yearly subs are reasonable enough, particularly if under 35. Location was the main thing for me, as have two young ones at home so cut down on the commute time.

Dun Laoghaire is a fantastic course, with the benefit of 27 holes and great clubhouse and practice area etc. Not sure if there is a joining fee or not and presume yearly fee is chunky enough but. An extra 30 min round trip was probably the clincher for me.

I haven't played Powerscourt but by all accounts the two courses are great tracks with practice facilities to boot. No joining fee and about 2.5k per year which is chunky enough but again you get two great 18's so makes it okay value. Also a little further out than even DL.

Grange would have been my first choice and wouldn't have an issue paying the joining fee as a long term investment but didn't look into it as looked to be too many hoops to jump through to become a full member.

Mr Mister wrote: »
    I'm living in the Dundrum area and ended up joining Stackstown last October. Was really enjoying it pre-Covid - good club atmosphere, solid course and most importantly close-by.....would love to be nipping up now for 9 holes in the evening! No joining fee and yearly subs are reasonable enough, particularly if under 35. Location was the main thing for me, as have two young ones at home so cut down on the commute time.

Dun Laoghaire is a fantastic course, with the benefit of 27 holes and great clubhouse and practice area etc. Not sure if there is a joining fee or not and presume yearly fee is chunky enough but. An extra 30 min round trip was probably the clincher for me.

I haven't played Powerscourt but by all accounts the two courses are great tracks with practice facilities to boot. No joining fee and about 2.5k per year which is chunky enough but again you get two great 18's so makes it okay value. Also a little further out than even DL.

Grange would have been my first choice and wouldn't have an issue paying the joining fee as a long term investment but didn't look into it as looked to be too many hoops to jump through to become a full member.

Out of interest (as its obv academic now anyway) what did you consider "too many hoops" before you dropped a 5 figure sum on a long term investment?

Well the whole Proposer and Seconder piece - I'm not from the area originally so don't actually know any members. Also, the fact you had mentioned previously about having to go through pavillion membership for a few years before transitioning to full membership. I was looking to get full playing rights somewhere straight away.

While it may be different, I had talked to someone who was a member of Castle GC and he had mentioned 'hanging around the club for 5 years and networking' before getting in as a full member. Again this may not apply to Grange but something like that did not appeal to me!

And unlike the OP I don't have a low single figure handicap to try and use as leverage :P

Well the whole Proposer and Seconder piece - I'm not from the area originally so don't actually know any members. Also, the fact you had mentioned previously about having to go through pavillion membership for a few years before transitioning to full membership. I was looking to get full playing rights somewhere straight away.

While it may be different, I had talked to someone who was a member of Castle GC and he had mentioned 'hanging around the club for 5 years and networking' before getting in as a full member. Again this may not apply to Grange but something like that did not appeal to me!

And unlike the OP I don't have a low single figure handicap to try and use as leverage :P

There is no requirement to be a pavillion before full member, its just another membership option for people (especially if they don't want to pay full joining fee or there is no availability)

Did you actually talk to anyone in Grange about joining?

To be honest I didn't and perhaps I should have.

The application form on the website was looking for a proposer and two seconders which scared me off, as presumed I wouldn't get a look in without that. I could have got completely the wrong impression from that but it just didn't appear to be open for membership.

To be honest I didn't and perhaps I should have.

The application form on the website was looking for a proposer and two seconders which scared me off, as presumed I wouldn't get a look in without that. I could have got completely the wrong impression from that but it just didn't appear to be open for membership.

Its open, but its not an open door, free-for-all! ;)

• Advertisement

See this is the part I don't really get - what does the 'its open' part actually mean? Do you need to be a certain profession or need particular connections to have a better chance of getting in? To me this kind of thing is a negative as it goes against inclusiveness that you would get in most other sports.

I can understand having an interview with some members to get to know you but surely anyone willing to drop a 5 figure sum is serious about joining the club for the long term and is not just joining to hack around for a couple of years and then pi$$ off

Advertisement