Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting back playing...

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,073 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Mr Mister wrote: »
    See this is the part I don't really get - what does the 'its open' part actually mean? Do you need to be a certain profession or need particular connections to have a better chance of getting in? To me this kind of thing is a negative as it goes against inclusiveness that you would get in most other sports.

I can understand having an interview with some members to get to know you but surely anyone willing to drop a 5 figure sum is serious about joining the club for the long term and is not just joining to hack around for a couple of years and then pi$$ off

Its open means that they are accepting applications, often they are not (as its full)

You dont need to be a certain profession, but someone needs to propose and second you, so you need to be known by people who are already members.

Its not about joining and then leaving in a couple of years (thats the dream member by the way!)
    Its about the club knowing what they are getting into, you could be a dickhead with money for all they know, the money part is really irrelevant to the club.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭JoeCole26

GreeBo wrote: »
    +1 on Lisheen, nice course (though the back 9 is much stronger than the front IMO)
    Not sure what commute times would be like as I've only every gone there off peak.

Did you try Rathfarnham, Stackstown, Beechpark?

I haven't tried those but I will reach out also. Thanks for the message.

Mr Mister wrote: »
    I'm living in the Dundrum area and ended up joining Stackstown last October. Was really enjoying it pre-Covid - good club atmosphere, solid course and most importantly close-by.....would love to be nipping up now for 9 holes in the evening! No joining fee and yearly subs are reasonable enough, particularly if under 35. Location was the main thing for me, as have two young ones at home so cut down on the commute time.

Dun Laoghaire is a fantastic course, with the benefit of 27 holes and great clubhouse and practice area etc. Not sure if there is a joining fee or not and presume yearly fee is chunky enough but. An extra 30 min round trip was probably the clincher for me.

I haven't played Powerscourt but by all accounts the two courses are great tracks with practice facilities to boot. No joining fee and about 2.5k per year which is chunky enough but again you get two great 18's so makes it okay value. Also a little further out than even DL.

Grange would have been my first choice and wouldn't have an issue paying the joining fee as a long term investment but didn't look into it as looked to be too many hoops to jump through to become a full member.

Very helpful - appreciate the reply. I played Stackstown last year and for some reason didn't really enjoy it, probably because I played poorly. Edging towards Grange Castle/Powerscourt atm.

JoeCole26 wrote: »
    I haven't tried those but I will reach out also. Thanks for the message.

Out of them all I would personally probably favour Beechpark or Lisheen.
    But from Dundrum any of the local courses are obviously much more accessible so you will get more out of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,447 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

If you're happy to stretch your legs a little further, Castlewarden is a potential option. 10 mins further out the road than Grange Castle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Mr Mister

Very helpful - appreciate the reply. I played Stackstown last year and for some reason didn't really enjoy it, probably because I played poorly. Edging towards Grange Castle/Powerscourt atm.

I can see why Stackstown wouldn't be for everyone, it's definitely no where near as good a course as the likes of Dun Laoghaire or Powerscourt (which I haven't played) but the big plus for me is the club atmosphere and location.

If I had more free time, to both play and practice, I probably would have edged towards them too.

Thanks all. In relation to Grange Castle, any people that play there currently? Any issues with getting tee times early Sat/Sun for members? My friend who is looking with me read before that could be over-crowded, although I'm not sure how accurate that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,681 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Thanks all. In relation to Grange Castle, any people that play there currently? Any issues with getting tee times early Sat/Sun for members? My friend who is looking with me read before that could be over-crowded, although I'm not sure how accurate that is.

Was a member there a few years back. One of the busiest courses in the country. You have the 18 holes and another 7 hole course. They have society's both Saturday and Sunday so tee times are limited. If you're online when the sheet goes live you'll have no problems especially in the summer.

But if you only log on later in the week you could have trouble especially if you wanted a particular time. More often than not you'll get in off the waiting list but maybe not a time that suits. Good fun course to play with really good greens. Rough is generally cut down so you won't have lads wasting time looking for balls on every hole.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

If you're happy to stretch your legs a little further, Castlewarden is a potential option. 10 mins further out the road than Grange Castle

Good shout on Castlewarden,it's a club I considered myself a few years ago,it has a good membership,good practice facilities not that expensive as clubs in and around Dublin go and a very good inter club scene for all levels if that's something you would be into

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

GreeBo wrote: »
    Not attacking you at all!

Pavillions do have playing rights and unlimited access to the extra holes and practice areas, you might be confusing them with House members who have no playing rights...?

If not successful getting full membership I would strongly recommend that you take pavillion option as its seriously taken into account when new membership comes around. (and you get to put your pavillion sub towards joining fee)

Hi GreenBo, do you have or know where I can get information on the Pavillion membership at Grange. There is noting obvious on their website.
    Like the OP I am trying to get back into golf, I used to play a lot as a teenager and then for various reasons I didn’t play at all during my 20’s. I joined Grange Castle 2 years ago but I found it difficult to meet new people as there was no club house feel to it and therefore made it hard to mingle after your round. To be clear I never had any issue with anybody I played with, everyone was very nice. I just want to join a club where you can sit down, get a bite to eat and have a chat after a round. I know that is not for everyone.

I am original from the country and now living in Dublin (Knocklyon) with my wife the last 2 years so I wouldn’t know members in Grange, but it is the closest Golf Course to me which makes it more preferable.

• Advertisement

Hi GreenBo, do you have or know where I can get information on the Pavillion membership at Grange. There is noting obvious on their website.
    Like the OP I am trying to get back into golf, I used to play a lot as a teenager and then for various reasons I didn’t play at all during my 20’s. I joined Grange Castle 2 years ago but I found it difficult to meet new people as there was no club house feel to it and therefore made it hard to mingle after your round. To be clear I never had any issue with anybody I played with, everyone was very nice. I just want to join a club where you can sit down, get a bite to eat and have a chat after a round. I know that is not for everyone.

I am original from the country and now living in Dublin (Knocklyon) with my wife the last 2 years so I wouldn’t know members in Grange, but it is the closest Golf Course to me which makes it more preferable.

In simpler times I would say to just contact the office, now I'm not sure.
    You could email them though I'm not sure if anyone in the office is online these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

Thanks. Yes think I might just throw them an email, even if no-one gets to it for a few days its not like I am in any particular rush!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭maddness

The office is closed like everywhere at the moment but send an email to administration@grangegolfclub.ie and you should get a reply within a few days.
    I’ve played there since I was a kid and it’s a great club.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Advertisement