Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

30 kWh Leaf down three bars, next step?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

So back to 11 capacity bars perhaps? And more importantly the calculations for range remaining begin to work better again.

If I get it right a '16 L30 without the battery BMS firmware update results the car reserving lots of capacity below the very low battery warning. Even without the update you could still use it if you wanted to live dangerously and drive the car well below indicated 0 miles remaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,961 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Is that all the software update does? So no change to usable battery capacity, but it just removes / moves down a low range battery warning? That's feck all use to an experienced owner then (but good for resale value) unless it also doesn't let turtle mode kick in later?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,526 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

unkel wrote: »
    Is that all the software update does? So no change to usable battery capacity, but it just removes / moves down a low range battery warning? That's feck all use to an experienced owner then (but good for resale value) unless it also doesn't let turtle mode kick in later?
    No,. it increases the usable capacity in kWh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

The way I understand is that the bug in BMS without the upgrade reports less capacity that the battery actually has. You can still use this capacity without applying the update as the battery shutdown happens when the voltage of one or more cells falls below some fixed value not when the BMS reports that the battery is flat. But you'd be driving blind as the car would have claimed that the battery is about to run out tens of kilometers before it actually happens. The issue is a gradual process which has lead to ever increasing reported degratation (reduction in the battery capacity).

The update fixes the bug and the BMS will then be able to report the real capacity again and not the faulty lower one it thought was correct. So LeafSpy etc. shows increased capacity on the battery but in reality that capacity has always been there just hidden from view. It's opposite of how the hidden buffers on other marques work as usually the hidden buffer is slowly used up until the actual battery capacity becomes the real capacity. In the 2016 LEAF, in effect, the car creates an ever increasing hidden buffer while at the same time also the real capacity of the battery gets smaller due to the real degradation so the battery stats appear terrible after few years/many kilometers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭McGiver

ELM327 wrote:
    No,. it increases the usable capacity in kWh

I speculate it may also release some of the buffer. Allegedly the BMW i3 had a similar SW update.

• Advertisement

McGiver wrote: »
    I speculate it may also release some of the buffer. Allegedly the BMW i3 had a similar SW update.

The i3 ? first I heard.

The 22 Kwh Zoe had the same update.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,526 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

McGiver wrote: »
    Yes, that is my understanding as to how the "additional" kWh are achieved.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Markcheese

https://www.donedeal.ie/carparts-for-sale/nissan-leaf-battery-modules/23375950

I ve zero idea who he is ,or what his skills /qualifications are , or why he has 17 battery packs left ?
    But ,if it gets someone with a weak battery pack back on the go ,for reasonable money then whoo hoo...

Just thought ,he doesn't mention which generation leaf it is ...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Advertisement