Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q and A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭jamesbil

Does anyone know the VRT situation on vans now. Looking at a couple in the North, one on GB plates one on NI. Both from dealers.
    Is it still €200 on either?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,242 ✭✭✭User1998

Still €200 but VAT and customs apply now. Assuming your VAT registered it’s just the customs you need to worry about, only 10% anyway not too bad

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭jamesbil

User1998 wrote: »
    Still €200 but VAT and customs apply now. Assuming your VAT registered it’s just the customs you need to worry about, only 10% anyway not too bad

Thanks, I'm not vat reg. these are being sole with no vat. 10% quite a bit on a 10k van

• Registered Users Posts: 6,622 ✭✭✭deezell

I don’t really understand that because they already pay vat on their margin? There is no vat so to speak on second hand goods? And dealers are still getting stock from the UK and their prices haven’t exactly jumped 20%. Not disagreeing with you, just failing to understand
    OK, here's an example, in €.
    Uk car costs 12,000, it's VAT qualifying, so import for 10,000.
    Pay 21% currently on import, 12,100.
    In the course of business, claim back the VAT against other business VAT receipts, back to 10,000.
    Finally sell the car for a profit of 1000, 11,000 plus 21%, 13,310.
    If you don't claim back the VAT, then you just pay the VAT on the margin of 1000, €210, which is the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Tomal

Forgetting about VAT exempt etc... and asking for the private buyer, buying from a private seller or dealer. If I was to buy car less than 30 years old (not classic) in NI, registered in NI do I pay VAT and Import duty. If car GB made or European made, any difference. I understand VRT and NOX will have to be paid anyway. Thanks for reading. Interested in replies and info.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Tomal

Actually what's best email to ask about this from revenue, customs etc....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

Tomal wrote: »
    Forgetting about VAT exempt etc... and asking for the private buyer, buying from a private seller or dealer. If I was to buy car less than 30 years old (not classic) in NI, registered in NI do I pay VAT and Import duty. If car GB made or European made, any difference. I understand VRT and NOX will have to be paid anyway. Thanks for reading. Interested in replies and info.

My opinion : just VRT to pay. (If it's been brought in from GB at some stage, you'll need some paperwork for that). Being Classic or not makes no difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

Tomal wrote: »

No VAT or import duty once the car was registered before 1/1/21 in NI.
    The owners address will be on the log book and the can see where it was taxed, so your safe enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭MuffinsDa

VRT Calculator still down, a week later! Ridiculous - and there doesn't seem to be anyone to contact about it directly. Anyone knows how we can at least get an ETA for when it'll be back?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

MuffinsDa wrote: »
    VRT Calculator still down, a week later! Ridiculous - and there doesn't seem to be anyone to contact about it directly. Anyone knows how we can at least get an ETA for when it'll be back?

Its probably done deliberately to stop people importing until the get their house in order, I don't think the fully understand what's going on.

I don't think many people will import until the have a rough idea of what the VRT is going to cost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

just had a brainwave...what about - The Isle of Man? its neither part of the *UK or the EU is there a VAT/duty loophole to be exploited there?

*self-governing British Crown Dependency

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭cranefly

fryup wrote: »
    just had a brainwave...what about - The Isle of Man? its neither part of the *UK or the EU is there a VAT/duty loophole to be exploited there?

Almost guaranteed low mileage, but i doubt if many of them ever get past 4th gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

I doubt there's a big opportunity, given that IOM has 65,000 registered cars vs 2.7 million or so in Irl...

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭93Cab

I got on it this evening! Looking at NI reg xc60 2.4 November 2015 46k miles!
    €6.5 Vrt and nox!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

93Cab wrote: »
    €6.5 Vrt and nox!

How much of that is nox?

What will that do to the overall cost compared to ROI prices?

Car was £12k. NOX was roughly €550! OMSP about €15000, VRT at 37%! Would be cheaper for a 2.0!

Government don’t want those type of cars here anymore. If it was a hybrid model you’d probably be looking at €1,500 VRT including nox

I have a question about NOx figures that I can't find the answer to anywhere. Revenue says you will need to provide documents showing NOx figures (in the form a registration doc that has it like the newer ones from the UK? or Japanese ministry of transport etc).

So, if I decide to import an 08 card from Northern Ireland, is it up to me to provide proof of NOx, or like CO2/VRT does the revenue has a database of most common cars and I only need to provide figures if I the car is not on that list? Or do I have to provide that documentation in all cases?

You have to provide it. Its on the uk logbook. New uk logbooks don’t show it anymore

You have to provide it. Its on the uk logbook. New uk logbooks don’t show it anymore

Thanks. What if you're importing from somewhere else, like Japan or Singapore? I don't think Singapore logbooks show anything like that.

EDIT: sorry I just remembered this thread is for importing from UK specifically. Please ignore ^

• Advertisement

For cars from Japan (or Singapore) you need to contact the local department of transport and get emissions details for the vehicle. I’ve imported a car from Singapore and the local department of transport doesn’t provide this information. I had a bit of a nightmare trying to register the car. Apparently a letter from the manufacturer stating the emissions does not suffice (even though it states on Revenues website that it definitely does suffice).

Anyway, for cars outside the EU make sure you have the correct emissions documents before you pay for the car

MuffinsDa wrote: »
    I have a question about NOx figures that I can't find the answer to anywhere. Revenue says you will need to provide documents showing NOx figures (in the form a registration doc that has it like the newer ones from the UK? or Japanese ministry of transport etc).

So, if I decide to import an 08 card from Northern Ireland, is it up to me to provide proof of NOx, or like CO2/VRT does the revenue has a database of most common cars and I only need to provide figures if I the car is not on that list? Or do I have to provide that documentation in all cases?

If you cant get a Nox cert, it's €4850 for a diesel, €600 for a petrol.

You could quote it from their own database document. It would seem odd that they wouldn't accept a figure they published themselves. Here 'tis

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gOPYuKdh_Z75xNdwPQOrV0bJwKxK1_gX/view?usp=drivesdk

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Ks_2020

https://carfueldata.vehicle-certification-agency.gov.uk/

Here is a site I have used to find the NOX values. Not sure if they'd count it as a legit reference but handy to have a guage of what NOX charges a car may entail

Update* have seen an Irish Times post from end of 2019 in regards to the budget 2020 referencing that cert website as the go to for a NOX reference for vrt

Ks_2020 wrote: »
    https://carfueldata.vehicle-certification-agency.gov.uk/

Here is a site I have used to find the NOX values. Not sure if they'd count it as a legit reference but handy to have a guage of what NOX charges a car may entail

This one also

http://www.emissionsfinder.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    I doubt there's a big opportunity, given that IOM has 65,000 registered cars vs 2.7 million or so in Irl...

plenty of cars for sale in the isle of man
    has anyone reading ever bought one there?? if so what's the story with VAT/Duty

• Registered Users Posts: 35,890 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I guess tax books are valuable things now. Just change the plates and drive on. Will be a lot of that going on here on out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

€6.5 Vrt and nox!

I have similar but imported pre 2021. Import was just over half what you were quoted
    Welcome to rip off Ireland.

I’m probably mean by nature but I just can’t stomach paying the revenue €6.5k for the privilege of buying a car which is located roughly 12 miles from me! My wife wants something newer so I think I’ll change tack and look at something like a Lexus is300h! Anybody know anything about them (2016) model? I don’t want to take out a bank loan so funding from reserves and current account!

• Advertisement

I’m probably mean by nature but I just can’t stomach paying the revenue €6.5k for the privilege of buying a car which is located roughly 12 miles from me! My wife wants something newer so I think I’ll change tack and look at something like a Lexus is300h! Anybody know anything about them (2016) model? I don’t want to take out a bank loan so funding from reserves and current account!

Beautiful car. Look for a premier spec, with the memory steering and seats which pull back when you turn off ignition. Maybe heated/cooled seat option. Careful buying a used F sport here unless the owner is a original buyer or importer, some abused examples in the smaller dealers, the sh!t driven out of them for a year after import, then offered for what importer paid a year earlier.
    Son and I sourced a 2014 F sport with premier options back in 2017, gadget heaven. If you import, whats the VRT on them these days?

Advertisement