Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q and A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭rodge123

Looks like my plan to buy a nice spec 2019 330e at start of 2022 from uk is out the window now anyway! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

rodge123 wrote: »
    Looks like my plan to buy a nice spec 2019 330e at start of 2022 from uk is out the window now anyway! :(

Yep. 100%.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Isambard wrote: »
    i wonder what the position would be for a car on NI plates but in GB.....saw a nice Cortina earlier for sale.

The best you can hope for is a Mazda Bongo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

Why does everyone keep on about dealers not being able to source cars in the UK.
    All the have to do is buy a VAT qualifying car in the UK and then pay the Irish VAT here, more expensive I know, but its just one way of doing it.

I know all the talk about the 10% duty on cars that were imported into the UK when new, but I can see that being challenged because its just taking the p*ss, why should we have to pay duty on something that came from the EU in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Thomasirl123

mgn wrote: »
    Why does everyone keep on about dealers not being able to source cars in the UK.
    All the have to do is buy a VAT qualifying car in the UK and then pay the Irish VAT here, more expensive I know, but its just one way of doing it.

I know all the talk about the 10% duty on cars that were imported into the UK when new, but I can see that being challenged because its just taking the p*ss, why should we have to pay duty on something that came from the EU in the first place.

Maybe cause the market isn't full of rich kids? Not all of us can afford or want new or nearly new cars

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,894 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

rodge123 wrote: »

Unless someone prove in a court of law that VRT is a double tax. The same way a truck driver did with truck tax, it used to cost 5000 a year for a tax disc for a truck.
    Then it went to 333 after court case, and then to 999, current rate.

VRT needs demolishing ,

Maybe cause the market isn't full of rich kids? Not all of us can afford or want new or nearly new cars

Who said anything about new or nearly new cars, there is still plenty of cheap 5 or 6 year old cars in the Uk if you do your homework.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭User1998

Good luck finding a 6 year old vat qualifying car

Who said anything about new or nearly new cars, there is still plenty of cheap 5 or 6 year old cars in the Uk if you do your homework.

There simply isn't.

User1998 wrote: »
    Good luck finding a 6 year old vat qualifying car

Just had a quick look at BCA auctions, the have over a 150 2015 cars and over 800 2016 cars all Vat qualifying.
    Everything from a Mini to a Merc so the are to be got.

And before someone comes on here and say, well that's not a lot, that is only for this week, probably have more than that next week.

• Advertisement

There simply isn't.

Really.

Just had a quick look at BCA auctions, the have over a 150 2015 cars and over 800 2016 cars all Vat qualifying.

And before someone comes on here and say, well that's not a lot, that is only for this week, probably have more than next week.

You need a trade account for that...

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭pale rider

I have learned regardless of the VAT that the issue is the increased VRT rates that apply since January 1st, that is the killer, the VAT can be worked around by purchasing a vat qualifying car as outlined but you will get nailed on the vrt.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

There will definitely be some company set up to buy cars for people don’t worry. Like that ukimports.ie or whatever

And dealers have trade accounts.

That's what I'm trying to get across, there wont be a shortage of second hand cars here like some are trying to make out.

pale rider wrote: »
    I have learned regardless of the VAT that the issue is the increased VRT rates that apply since January 1st, that is the killer, the VAT can be worked around by purchasing a vat qualifying car as outlined but you will get nailed on the vrt.

Not on all cars, the likes of a Ford Focus 1.5 tdci with emissions of 99 k/gm very little difference or any low emissions car.

Its the likes of the SUV's that will be hit hardest.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭machu

L-M wrote: »
    There will definitely be some company set up to buy cars for people don’t worry. Like that ukimports.ie or whatever

What way does vat qualifying work if a Uk trader was to buy a car for me at an auction would they just claim the vat back and sell to me with the vat reduced from purchase price and a pre agreed fee added on for the work involved ?

machu wrote: »
    What way does vat qualifying work if a Uk trader was to buy a car for me at an auction would they just claim the vat back and sell to me with the vat reduced from purchase price and a pre agreed fee added on for the work involved ?

An Irish middle man will have to do it, not UK.

And before someone comes on here and say, well that's not a lot, that is only for this week, probably have more than that next week.

Sure, there are 150 Vat qualifying 2015’s, but there are 670 which aren’t. 150 cars is nothing and January is a busy time for the auctions

There are more almost twice as many qualifying cars than non qualifying cars when you look at 2018 and 2017

Sure, there are 150 Vat qualifying 2015’s, but there are 670 which aren’t. 150 cars is nothing and January is a busy time for the auctions

Doubtful this January is.

• Advertisement

True but a lot of the stock in auction atm would have been financed 3/4 years ago and is being traded back in so I don’t think poor new car sales this month will have a huge impact on the auctions at present?

There are more almost twice as many qualifying cars than non qualifying cars when you look at 2018 and 2017

You said that you would have a job to find a 6 year old Vat qualifying can and I just pointed out that there are still some to be got.

True but a lot of the stock in auction atm would have been financed 3/4 years ago and is being traded back in so I don’t think poor new car sales this month will have a huge impact on the auctions at present?

Not a busy time for cars to be traded in January in the UK, It would be March and September to be there busiest time for trade inns

You said that you would have a job to find a 6 year old Vat qualifying can and I just pointed out that there are still some to be got.

Yeah you pointed out 150 but that includes all makes and models. If you decided tomorrow you wanted a 2015 BMW 320d or a Volkswagen Passat for example there would probably what, three or four that are vat qualifying? Think of how many makes and models are included in the 150 you pointed out

I’m just saying how restricted we are going to be when it comes to vat qualifying cars. Dealers are going to be snapping them up and they’ll all have identical 2/3 year old stock with anything older than that near impossible to get as a vat qualifying car. Even the 2/3 year old stuff, almost 50% of it isn’t vat qualifying, thats a huge amount

Not a busy time for cars to be traded in January in the UK, It would be March and September to be there busiest time for trade inns

You got me there

Yeah you pointed out 150 but that includes all makes and models. If you decided tomorrow you wanted a 2015 BMW 320d or a Volkswagen Passat for example there would probably what, three or four that are vat qualifying? Think of how many makes and models are included in the 150 you pointed out

Most people import a 2 or 3 year old cars anyway so there will be enough to go around.
    It will just make it more expensive.

You got me there

Plates in the UK don't change in January like here, its March and September

• Registered Users Posts: 27 wrcarter

Does anyone know that the wait time to get a call from revenue is? I was at the vrt centre on the 30th and am awaiting a call back on the rate. I’m not sure if the 30/31st are considered working days. I’m sure they got an influx of applications around then.

wrcarter wrote: »
    Does anyone know that the wait time to get a call from revenue is? I was at the vrt centre on the 30th and am awaiting a call back on the rate. I’m not sure if the 30/31st are considered working days. I’m sure they got an influx of applications around then.

It depends on the car. I was waiting about 5 weeks for a stat code one time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 wrcarter

L-M wrote: »
    It depends on the car. I was waiting about 5 weeks for a stat code one time.

Ok no need to worry then. Cheers.

Advertisement