Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for work and having children.

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Cork_Langer1

sallysue2 wrote: »
    Of course everyone has that choice, but if chose not to work, then you are not entitled to jobseekers.

I keep saying it's not that people don't want to work, if working will leave people in a worse financial position and go against their families well-being than they already are, that isn't a job that's manipulation of the jobs figure to look well on paper.

What constitutes a working week now 20 hours 30 hours 39.5 hours?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 stauntj

A very good suggestion of minding kids in your own home so. I'd be doing anything to get off the dole because those people aren't nice and push you for jobs you're not able for.

It was a good suggestion and I've put it to her thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,963 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

stauntj wrote:
    Except I don't live there and you have just come across as a grade A asshole.

Your wife is defrauding the state. You moan here on boards when she is caught. You winge when posters give out about the fraud your wife is committing. I have been critical BUT I offered genuine advice here for your wife to set a good example for her children and earn her own money legally. I have offered factual advice on how she can earn up to 29k totally tax free and you get her tax credits.

But I'm the grade A asshole. It says it all really

I might be the biggest A hole in the world but I earn my own money. I pay my taxes. I'm lucky enough enough never to have needed social welfare. I don't defraud the state & I never asked other taxpayers to support my wife while she was a stay at home mum.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭20/20

stauntj wrote: »
    It was a good suggestion and I've put it to her thanks.

What did she say ??

I keep saying it's not that people don't want to work, if working will leave people in a worse financial position and go against their families well-being than they already are, that isn't a job that's manipulation of the jobs figure to look well on paper.

Jasus you are still trying to defend this woman who admitted that she isn't available for work???

• Advertisement

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I support a higher minimum wage for every worker in Ireland. In case you don't realise Dublin is in Ireland. We have the exact same minimum wage as you do in the West of Ireland.

Mate just so you know. An OAP on the state pension, in an ex council mid terrace house in Donnycarney, pays more property tax than someone in a six bed detached house in Cavan with an acar of land.

In answer to your question. Everyone in Ireland should be willing to travel long commutes in order to feed their own family. Dublin or West of ireland you should be willing to travel. It's not unusual for tradesmen in rural Ireland to spend hours travelling daily to get to a building site. I would crawl till my fingers bled to get to a job if I had to.

I think social welfare a wonderful thing but it's not intended for someone not willing to travel a few miles to work. Its not intended to support her because she wants to be a stay at home mom.

If you read the OP again, this all kicked off because his wife said she wasn't available to work certain hours because she picked up the kids from school. See the part where it says that she "isn't available for work". This is why her dole will be cut off. Forget about her not wanting to travel. She pointed out to the social welfare officer that she isn't available for work. From her own admission, she isn't entitled to claim social welfare. She has been defrauding the state & every time she signed to collect her money she signed that she was available for work. This is called fraud.

I personally upskilled and was looking at moving away to be able financially support my family. Lucky enough to secure a job in commuting distance.

You are however leaping to assumptions on certain matters.

Firstly,the letter said that my wife said something, secondly an unknown language barrier exists, thirdly,my wife is concerned for her kids.

My wife is willing work but was looking for something local..to cancel out those so called defrauding the state for a part payment.

There will be childcare costs regardless if she works but we were trying to limit costs by working locally.

My wife upskilled also at the same time as me and we both suffered a failed self employment venture and are just picking ourselves back up.

She was initially looking for work in the area she trained but has faced the same several years experience barrier that I too have faced.

She is now looking for 'any work' locally.

We have no support of grandparents locally either side and are doing our best.

How about a little compassion rather than jumping to so many assumptions while trying to cut and paste your own moral values into the lives of other individuals in different circumstances.

My wife is a different person to me and I'm trying to console and help my wife through this, whereas someone coming on here moral grandstanding isnt helping anyone.

You are just taking a figurative dump on my situation to be fair.

There have been some helpful comments on here for which I'm grateful but I'd really prefer to close this thread now if possible.

Could the moderator close it?

There are plenty of ways to make money if you live close to 5000 people. Your wife isn't available for work. You clearly stated this in the opening post. If she isn't available for work then she isn't entitled to dole payments. Signing a statement saying that she's available for work when she isn't is social welfare fraud. This is why you are getting a rough ride here. We have tried to offer genuine advice on how she can earn money legally.

There are other options. Obviously her earning her own money would be best (I've given examples on how she can do this) but there are welfare options if you are low paid. We used to have family income supplement for people who didn't earn enough money. I'm sure this is gone and name changed but I'll put money on it that there is something like it nowadays. If you are low income family then there will be benefits available to you BUT collecting jobseakers allowance is the wrong way to go if she isn't available for work.

What are you reading? OP has stated they're available for full time work. Are you going to withdraw your comments saying OP OH is defrauding the state.

Jasus you are still trying to defend this woman who admitted that she isn't available for work???

Where have they said they aren't available for work, I started here last night because every comments was nagative towards OP circumstances.
    Would you rather there social payment was cut and they commit crimes or sell drugs?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

You cant have it both ways. Do you support a higher min wage for those in dublin? I do, its logical, things cost more. Should those in rural areas be held to the same commuting times as those working in dublin? Should it be 1, 2 or 6 hours day commuting. How about we help each other up rather than drag each other down.

Suggesting that anyone who is available for work should be able to claim JSA, is trying to have it both ways and dragging other people down.

Suggesting that anyone who is claiming JSA should be able to continue to do so when they are unavailable to work, is trying to have it both ways and dragging other people down.

You and your wife have a choice right now, or the choice will be made for you by your wife’s welfare officer to discontinue her payment as she simply does not qualify for the payment. They are trying to help her up by pointing out to her that she does not qualify for the payment as she is unwilling to make herself available for work. It’s very simple stuff and you shouldn’t take it personally. The rules are the same for everyone.

There are other payments you may or may not qualify for, such as Working Family Payment which has been suggested a number of times in this thread already and would appear to be far more suitable for your family’s current circumstances than your wife claiming JSA while being unavailable for work and your household income meant she qualified for the payment in the first place!

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭sallysue2

What constitutes a working week now 20 hours 30 hours 39.5 hours?

Yes if working will put someone in a worse position then of course they shouldn't take it. goes against their family well being, to be honest I don't know what you mean by this? If your child has additional needs by all means apply for carers. But you can not expect to be receiving jobseekers if you refuse to work. Working family payment or child minding have both been mentioned here.

Most people work 35 hours approximately a week. But once you work at all in a day you have no entitlement to jobseekers for that day. So if you were working part time you can claim for the other days you are not working

I personally upskilled and was looking at moving away to be able financially support my family. Lucky enough to secure a job in commuting distance.

Firstly,the letter said that my wife said something, secondly an unknown language barrier exists, thirdly,my wife is concerned for her kids.

My wife is willing work but was looking for something local..to cancel out those so called defrauding the state for a part payment.

There will be childcare costs regardless if she works but we were trying to limit costs by working locally.

My wife upskilled also at the same time as me and we both suffered a failed self employment venture and are just picking ourselves back up.

She was initially looking for work in the area she trained but has faced the same several years experience barrier that I too have faced.

How about a little compassion rather than jumping to so many assumptions while trying to cut and paste your own moral values into the lives of other individuals in different circumstances.

My wife is a different person to me and I'm trying to console and help my wife through this, whereas someone coming on here moral grandstanding isnt helping anyone.

There have been some helpful comments on here for which I'm grateful but I'd really prefer to close this thread now if possible.

Don't mind them OP, this section of boards loves to put people down, I hope you and your OH situation improves, do what's best for you and your family.

All the best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,848 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

Don't mind them OP, this section of boards loves to put people down, I hope you and your OH situation improves, do what's best for you and your family.

All the best.

Agreed, family comes first.

There'd be less of a reaction if he went out and killed somebody it has
    to be said.

Welcome to boards stauntj :D

Yes if working will put someone in a worse position then of course they shouldn't take it. goes against their family well being, to be honest I don't know what you mean by this? If your child has additional needs by all means apply for carers. But you can not expect to be receiving jobseekers if you refuse to work. Working family payment or child minding have both been mentioned here.

Most people work 35 hours approximately a week. But once you work at all in a day you have no entitlement to jobseekers for that day. So if you were working part time you can claim for the other days you are not working

Families well-being, is a long commute, partners don't get to see each other, children stuck in child care all day..

Again the OP OH hasn't refused to work, where are ye getting that from?

Full time work is now considered 30 hours per week, that's is a disgrace, employers have put workers on 2 hours a day for 5 days so they can't claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

No you won't, you're doing your usual scaremongering, if intro stop moneies it can only be your moneies and nothing you receive for your children, also if your monies are stopped you can appeal that decision while putting a claim into a CWO for a hardship payment.

As I said already, yes sir three bags full sir, anything you say, can and will be used against you.

Isn't the country at full employment sure :)

It’s Intreo. The rest of your post is rubbish, made up nonsense, a mixture of wishful thinking on your behalf and a half forgotten memory of the way things were 30 years ago.

You are talking about morals of other posters here and moral grandstanding. Morals don't come into it, rules and regulations of the department of social protection do. The rules are simple. Follow them and you get a payment. So do people who work not share the same concern for their kids? Honestly this is coming across a lot of poor me and my wife.

splinter65 wrote: »
    It’s Intreo. The rest of your post is rubbish, made up nonsense, a mixture of wishful thinking on your behalf and a half forgotten memory of the way things were 30 years ago.

You lost if you're picking a simple mistake, says more about you than me.

It's exactly as I stated, but I wouldn't expect you to give people that advice.

Families well-being, is a long commute, partners don't get to see each other, children stuck in child care all day..

Again the OP OH hasn't refused to work, where are ye getting that from?

Full time work is now considered 30 hours per week, that's is a disgrace, employers have put workers on 2 hours a day for 5 days so they can't claim.

I did not say that op wife refused work. I stated that in response to your earlier posts about quitting work. You told another poster to quit work, I replied to that post. Maybe go have a read over your posts again.

Really so employers put people working 2 hours a day so they can't claim? Not business needs?

stauntj wrote:
    Now got a letter back saying that my wife showed reluctance to work afternoons as needs to pick up kids and that she needs to go in and clarify or her payment is in jeopardy.

Above is in the opening post
    Where have they said they aren't available for work, I started here last night because every comments was nagative towards OP circumstances. Would you rather there social payment was cut and they commit crimes or sell drugs?

Reluctant to work afternoons as needs to pick up the kids =NOT available for work

I pointed out to you last night that it was social welfare fraud and you insisted that it wasn't. I wasn't all over OP last night. I tried to give genuine advice on how his wife can sign off and make even more money legally tax free.

Look OP I'm sorry you got a hard time but I'm guessing you know now that she isn't entitled to this payment at all because she has to pick up the kids. The person you thought was in the wrong has caught her out. Maybe your wife didn't realise that saying she has to collect the kids meant that she isn't available for work & isn't entitled to the payments. I hope she tries minding kids or something like that and I hope she makes a small fortune for her troubles. I don't wish you any ill will but I hope she signs off. I genuinely wish you both well. We've all had rough times and know what it can be like.

I did not say that op wife refused work. I stated that in response to your earlier posts about quitting work. You told another poster to quit work, I replied to that post. Maybe go have a read over your posts again.

Really so employers put people working 2 hours a day so they can't claim? Not business needs?

There it is, that poster suggest they give up their job because they felt aggrieved because of OP circumstances, I said it's your choice if it better their families circumstances.

Business needs shouldn't come before a persons needs to survive in this modern expensive world.

There it is, that poster suggest they give up their job because they felt aggrieved because of OP circumstances, I said it's your choice if it better their families circumstances.

OPs wife is NOT available for work. She is not entitled to the payment. Harp on about family circumstances all you want. As pointed out earlier working parents are equally if not more concerned about family circumstances. There is nothing wrong with OPs wife being a stay at home mum. My own wife was a stay at home mum. Your aren't entitled to the dole when you are a stay at home mum though.

Reluctant to work afternoons as needs to pick up the kids =NOT available for work

I pointed out to you last night that it was social welfare fraud and you insisted that it wasn't. I wasn't all over OP last night. I tried to give genuine advice on how his wife can sign off and make even more money legally tax free.

Look OP I'm sorry you got a hard time but I'm guessing you know now that she isn't entitled to this payment at all because she has to pick up the kids. The person you thought was in the wrong has caught her out. Maybe your wife didn't realise that saying she has to collect the kids meant that she isn't available for work & isn't entitled to the payments. I hope she tries minding kids or something like that and I hope she makes a small fortune for her troubles. I don't wish you any ill will but I hope she signs off. I genuinely wish you both well. We've all had rough times and know what it can be like.

Reluctant, doesn't mean they aren't available.

It's isn't fraud, you withdraw that comments. All OP OH has to do is apply for any job now and provide that proof to the intreo (I got it right :)) office that's is all.

• Advertisement

As I said the letter said she showed reluctance to work afternoons. This is third hand information passed from a complaint letter regarding a potentially aggrieved social welfare worker who the complaint was raised against.

There is however an ounce of truth in it as my wife was vying for work locally within school hours but would take any full time job locally. Her objections were raised when full time plus commuting were raised or so I'm.told.

Again, wife's second language is english and she met a right battleaxe who tore her a new backside.

Of course it's all he said she said. I wasnt there, neither were u!. I didnt know I had to pick my wording so carefully.

So no one is caught out, this is all anonymous and I came for support, yikes!

Regardless if she works part or full time, it will cancel out remaining payment so the debate on all this is futile.

Thanks for your well wishes at the end.

OPs wife is NOT available for work. She is not entitled to the payment. Harp on about family circumstances all you want. As pointed out earlier working parents are equally if not more concerned about family circumstances. There is nothing wrong with OPs wife being a stay at home mum. My own wife was a stay at home mum. Your aren't entitled to the dole when you are a stay at home mum though.

It’s also important to keep in mind that childcare and school runs don’t last forever. Children grow up. Spend longer in school and do after class study. All of which will improve OP’s wife of getting suitably employment.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭20/20

Of course it's all he said she said. I wasnt there, neither were u!..

Of course not yet you can still talk about a "potentially aggrieved social welfare worker" and call her a battleaxe.

It’s also important to keep in mind that childcare and school runs don’t last forever. Children grow up. Spend longer in school and do after class study. All of which will improve OP’s wife of getting suitably employment.

Just as well with the cost of childcare. I genuinely feel for young families. My daughter is in childcare, has worked in crèches and right now she is a nanny. I've heard sad stories about parents working such long hours that they are really only weekend parents. All of that sacrifice & then you have fear for your child in the creche since the RTE documentary. It can't be easy on any working parents

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement