Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ford Kuga PHEV

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Casati

Pricing seems very attractive, can’t think of anything as competitive- eg why would you buy a Rav 4 or the ancient Outlander for another 5k+?

Can’t wait to see more PHEV’s priced this close to the default diesels. I’m sure it will burn fuel on longer fast motorway driving so won’t suit everybody but looks like it could be a big seller

• Registered Users Posts: 21,506 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Both are proper AWD yokes and (at least in the Outlander's case) can tow pretty well too.
    Hardly a fair comparison.

ELM327 wrote: »
    Both are proper AWD yokes and (at least in the Outlander's case) can tow pretty well too.
    Hardly a fair comparison.

RAV4 is FWD and don’t think the farmers around me would classify the Outlander as a proper AWD for towing - it can only haul 1500 kg

• Registered Users Posts: 21,506 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I didnt know there was a FWD Rav4, excuse my ignorance.
    The outlander is praised a lot online for towing large loads etc.

ELM327 wrote: »
    I didnt know there was a FWD Rav4, excuse my ignorance.
    The outlander is praised a lot online for towing large loads etc.

Checked there - the Outlander at 1500kg is better than the Kuga at 1200kg but both are fairly rubbish compared to any decent tow car - even the Yeti could tow over 2000kg. Surprised it’s so low for both of them with 2.4/2.5 litre engines, wonder why PHEV’s are so low

Either way it looks v priced not only against petrol/ diesel SUV’s that size like the Tiguan but also again the likes of the more expensive Kona EV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

The diesel Outlander is 2000 kg, http://www.towingcapacity.co.uk/car-make-model/mitsubishi/mitsubishi-outlander/

also awd is not great on the outlander phev, more of a gimmick

The kuga is a way better looking car, I would prefer a bigger battery/smaller engine and faster charging, something like the i3

• Registered Users Posts: 11,161 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

The outlander's interior and electronics have dated very badly compared the Kuga

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Casati wrote: »
    RAV4 is FWD and don’t think the farmers around me would classify the Outlander as a proper AWD for towing - it can only haul 1500 kg

The RAV4 is available in 4WD but maybe not currently in Ireland. The RAV4 PHV will be 4WD, but there's only a low-power electric motor for the rear axle.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

I don't think anyone buys those kind of vehicles (RAV4, Kuga etc) to tow anything. It's mostly to navigate the treacherous mountain roads between the house and the local primary school.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,926 ✭✭✭✭unkel

n97 mini wrote: »
    I don't think anyone buys those kind of vehicles (RAV4, Kuga etc) to tow anything. It's mostly to navigate the treacherous mountain roads between the house and the local primary school.

At least they are no longer as obscene as the D4 tractors of 2006 :D

• Advertisement

The RAV4 is available in 4WD but maybe not currently in Ireland. The RAV4 PHV will be 4WD, but there's only a low-power electric motor for the rear axle.

I was talking about Ireland specifically - I’m sure the Kuga is also available in other markets in AWD too. The RAV4 PHEV has 306bhp so should feel a different animal to the Kuga PHEV but what price will it be - I’d guess 8k/10k dearer.

In fairness the new Kuga has grown a lot in size and is bigger than the Rav and CR-V now and almost as big as the Kodiaq or Allspace. They are listed from 35,500 plus Ford are giving 2,500 off if your trading a non Ford or older Ford so at 33k it’s a lot of car for the money. I’ll give them a look next time round

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

Checked there - the Outlander at 1500kg is better than the Kuga at 1200kg but both are fairly rubbish compared to any decent tow car - even the Yeti could tow over 2000kg. Surprised it’s so low for both of them with 2.4/2.5 litre engines, wonder why PHEV’s are so low

Either way it looks v priced not only against petrol/ diesel SUV’s that size like the Tiguan but also again the likes of the more expensive Kona EV.

Towing capacity is partly calculated based on a vehicle's own weight. The phev's batteries make them considerable heavier than standard so generally have a worse towing capacity.

pippip wrote: »
    Towing capacity is partly calculated based on a vehicle's own weight. The phev's batteries make them considerable heavier than standard so generally have a worse towing capacity.

I thought a heavier vehicle would mean it would be more stable towing and could tow a larger load. Can’t see how your logic makes sense that lighter cars make better toe cars

How are the likes of Landcruiser 3.0 D4D’s able to tow 2800kg when they weight a lot more than a Kuga PHEV and have less power??

Must be some limitation with the electric motor has gives these PHEV a v low towing capacity

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

It's not just mass, there are a number of factors: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gross_combined_weight_rating

Torque is more important than peak power for towing: A current Land Cruiser has 420 Nm, but a RAV4 PHV is 228 Nm.

Compared to a normal petrol, the torque figures aren't bad for the hybrids, but a big ignorant 4-pot diesel still has a big advantage here. Having any sort of towing capacity is still a fairly recent development for Toyota hybrids.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

I thought a heavier vehicle would mean it would be more stable towing and could tow a larger load. Can’t see how your logic makes sense that lighter cars make better toe cars

How are the likes of Landcruiser 3.0 D4D’s able to tow 2800kg when they weight a lot more than a Kuga PHEV and have less power??

Must be some limitation with the electric motor has gives these PHEV a v low towing capacity

The Landcruiser can tow heavier because it's built for it. Upgraded brakes, suspension, axels, chassis among a few items. All these items are used to calculate towing weights. Kugas and the likes aren't built with towing in mind so adding Phev batteries is an afterthought with no other upgrades to these components.

Hence the cost of a Landcruiser.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭Mike3287

I was talking about Ireland specifically - I’m sure the Kuga is also available in other markets in AWD too. The RAV4 PHEV has 306bhp so should feel a different animal to the Kuga PHEV but what price will it be - I’d guess 8k/10k dearer.

In fairness the new Kuga has grown a lot in size and is bigger than the Rav and CR-V now and almost as big as the Kodiaq or Allspace. They are listed from 35,500 plus Ford are giving 2,500 off if your trading a non Ford or older Ford so at 33k it’s a lot of car for the money. I’ll give them a look next time round

Some machine for €33,000

Seems to be 13kWh useable, decent size battery

Has a very decent 125bhp electric motor, usually phev's like Kia Niro have crappy 60bhp electric motor's, when you wanna go fast have to use petrol.

Saw a reviewer get 70km out of it at 80km/h, should do 40-50km no prob in all weathers

2.5l duratec petrol engine is a nice engine when battery runs out, not lawmower engines like Ioniq, Niro phev etc

Best value phev out there imo

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭cal naughton

Can I ask where people are seeing the 33k ? . No pricelist on the website and when I use the configurator and select titanium phev it jumps to 42.9k .

Can I ask where people are seeing the 33k ? . No pricelist on the website and when I use the configurator and select titanium phev it jumps to 42.9k .

The 42.9k excludes the 7.5k in grants/ VRT reduction so that brings it to 35.4k

Ford are offering deals for 202 worth 2.5k if your trading in an older Ford or a non Ford so that brings it to 32.9k. Obviously any extra's are on top of that price but if you shop around you'd likely see a further discount at a dealer level. If you search the site you see the price list which shows the price after the 7.5k is taken off

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭cal naughton

The 42.9k excludes the 7.5k in grants/ VRT reduction so that brings it to 35.4k

Ford are offering deals for 202 worth 2.5k if your trading in an older Ford or a non Ford so that brings it to 32.9k. Obviously any extra's are on top of that price but if you shop around you'd likely see a further discount at a dealer level. If you search the site you see the price list which shows the price after the 7.5k is taken off
    Thanks for that. Not a bad deal in fairness

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭PaulRyan97

Looks like it's proving itself quite popular anyway.

https://insideevs.com/news/434454/europe-ford-kuga-phev-sales-q2-2020/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭john_doe.

Was wondering what people thought of this :
    Used ST Line X , would it be good deal or better of buying new version ?

https://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Ford/Kuga/fpa/202103049755675

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

The fact that a new Kuga PHEV was cheaper to buy last year than they’re selling 2020 Kuga’s right now shows how screwed up the market is.

Advertisement