Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giving A Statement?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭RobbieMD

In Theory. Remember witnesses can appear after the book of evidence is served which the Guards might not have seen on the night, there rarely there when it kicks off.

I’d be very surprised to see a book of evidence for a minor scuffle.

That still applies in the district Court. The guards needs a statement from all available witness to complete an investigation file to forward to their district officer who directs whether there's sufficient evidence to bring a prosecution. Those statements are then disclosed to the defence prior to any court hearing

Not for section 2 assault. Summery offence, no need for a file where I am

coylemj wrote: »
    So if there's a minor scuffle outside a pub on a Saturday night and someone is charged with a Section 2 (the lowest level) assault, the cops will take written statements from all of the witnesses? And then send a file to the Super?

Some do. Never understood why myself, just make a decision and summons if you think you can price the case.

Are you prepared to be called as a witness multiple times to court and see who ever your implicating there.
    I'd thread carefully, talk to a solicitor or don't give a statement without knowing all the risks to yourself and family.
    There's no obligation to give a statement, you can make one to the court if your called as a witness.

Thankfully some people do they Civic duty and Criminals get convicted

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭baldshin

Not for section 2 assault. Summery offence, no need for a file where I am

Some stations/Superintendents demand a file for every single incident.

• Advertisement
Advertisement