Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giving A Statement?

Options
  • 21-02-2020 7:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hi,

I've been asked to make a statement in a Garda station regarding an alleged assault. I've never given statement before. Am I allowed to bring in a typed up document and write it down/read it out?

Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭blackbox

zero_ wrote: »
    Hi,

I've been asked to make a statement in a Garda station regarding an alleged assault. I've never given statement before. Am I allowed to bring in a typed up document and write it down/read it out?

Many thanks.

Guard is likely to ask some questions for clarification and will add answers to your statement before you sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭zero_

Thanks, but am I allowed bring notes to remind me of details in to the room when making the statement?

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭RobbieMD

Hi,

Many thanks.

Are you a suspect for this assault or the victim/witness in it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭H.20v3

Solicitor

I've been asked for a statement as a witness. I just want to know if I can bring notes, as there is a lot of detail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,218 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I would under no circumstances give a statement without a solicitor present, you could be digging a hole for yourself whether intended or not.

OK thanks. what's the usual fee for a solicitor to accompany you to make a statement? Just ball park figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

I would under no circumstances give a statement without a solicitor present, you could be digging a hole for yourself whether intended or not.

That's a bit of an over-reaction if the OP is only giving a witness statement. Statement can't be used in evidence against them unless they've been cautioned first

k thanks for the advice. I'll book a solicitors appointment first, see what they say, and then go from there.

Thanks for the helpful replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭RobbieMD

OK thanks. what's the usual fee for a solicitor to accompany you to make a statement? Just ball park figure.

A solicitor isn’t going to get legal aid to accompany you to a garda station for a witness statement. Legal aid pay €100 plus vat for an ordinary station visit, expect similar if not more privately.

If you are merely a witness, you’re not obligated to give the Gardaí a statement.

• Advertisement

Thanks, but am I allowed bring notes to remind me of details in to the room when making the statement?

As it's voluntary you can bring something that's prepared. You will be cautioned and it will be read out then you sign it BUT unless you know what statements look like, it will probable have holes that need filling.

Statements take a certain format, not what you see on the TV.

I can only speak for myself but innocent people generally don't bring prepared statements in my experience.

As it's voluntary you can bring something that's prepared. You will be cautioned and it will be read out then you sign it BUT unless you know what statements look like, it will probable have holes that need filling.

Statements take a certain format, not what you see on the TV.

I can only speak for myself but innocent people generally don't bring prepared statements in my experience.

The OP won't be cautioned if they're only giving a witness statement of something they saw.

They'll be cautioned if there's suspicion that they've committed an offence

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

No need for a solicitor if you are a witness. The statement won't be cautioned, just the declaration re false statements. Yes you can bring a prepared statement / notes if you wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭TallGlass2

The OP won't be cautioned if they're only giving a witness statement of something they saw.

They'll give a declaration not a caution. Not sure why you'd need a solicitor either?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

I hereby declare the that this statement is true to the best of my knowledge and belief and make it knowing that if it is tendered in evidence I will be liable to to prosecution if I state in it anything I know to be false or do not believe to me true.

Or words to that effect I'm a few beers in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

yes you can bring notes in.. they don't search you etc as you're basically there on a voluntary basis. No need for a solicitor

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

This is bizarre advice, solicitor to give a witness statement!!!!

Op you go in, you tell them what you saw and heard that's it.....

If you need notes not sure for what but yes you can bring them in if it helps you remember.

You're not the one in trouble so don't be stressing.

It's fairly straightforward and will only take long if you have lots to say and the Gaurd is a slow writer....

You sign it at the bottom and that's it.

As for the notes, there's no issue I don't think but they may have to be handed over to the defence as discoverable and also referred to in the statement as being referred to whilst giving the statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,883 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Im not suggesting that you won't be honest but I wonder could a defence discredit your statement because it was prepared. Could it be argued that if telling the truth that you wouldn't need notes?

There's absolutely no right to have a solicitor present during a statement and only a buffoon would pay one to sit in on a witness statement. It's not even cautioned!

• Advertisement

Yeah, that is wasn't in the op and didn't see the follow up. Presumed it was a cautioned statement. Never come across someone so nervous over a witness statement before.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Are you prepared to be called as a witness multiple times to court and see who ever your implicating there.
    I'd thread carefully, talk to a solicitor or don't give a statement without knowing all the risks to yourself and family.
    There's no obligation to give a statement, you can make one to the court if your called as a witness.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,339 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

There's no obligation to give a statement, you can make one to the court if your called as a witness.

In relatively minor District Court cases that is true but if the Gardai are looking for a written statement, it suggests this case could be headed to the Circuit Court so a book of evidence will be prepared. Meaning that they have to get written statements from all of the prospective witnesses who might be called in the trial.

coylemj wrote: »
    In relatively minor District Court cases that is true but if the Gardai are looking for a written statement, it suggests this case could be headed to the Circuit Court so a book of evidence will be prepared. Meaning that they have to get written statements from all of the prospective witnesses who might be called in the trial.

That still applies in the district Court. The guards needs a statement from all available witness to complete an investigation file to forward to their district officer who directs whether there's sufficient evidence to bring a prosecution. Those statements are then disclosed to the defence prior to any court hearing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Im not suggesting that you won't be honest but I wonder could a defence discredit your statement because it was prepared. Could it be argued that if telling the truth that you wouldn't need notes?

Would it not be considered the same as a Garda referring to their notebook?

Sleeper12 wrote: »

The opposite could apply in many cases. Many witnesses have difficulty recalling the exact sequence of events in relation to an assault or a traffic accident. Setting everything down on paper soon after the event could give you the edge in a court case in terms of credibility. Especially in front of a jury.

You put the time and date on the statement and hang on to it. Then when the case comes to trial and you're in the witness box, tell the judge that you documented your recollection of the event soon after it happened and ask for permission to refer to it while giving your evidence. The other witnesses will be trying to remember something that happened a few months earlier, you will have a written account of the event prepared by you a matter of days or hours after it happened.

Would it not be considered the same as a Garda referring to their notebook?

There's case law in regards to "expert witnesses" and a Garda referring to their notebook or a doctor referring to their medical notes. That case law doesn't apply to Joe Public but it relates to referring to them in direct evidence in court, not when compiling the statement afaik

That still applies in the district Court. The guards needs a statement from all available witness to complete an investigation file to forward to their district officer who directs whether there's sufficient evidence to bring a prosecution. Those statements are then disclosed to the defence prior to any court hearing

So if there's a minor scuffle outside a pub on a Saturday night and someone is charged with a Section 2 (the lowest level) assault, the cops will take written statements from all of the witnesses? And then send a file to the Super?

So if there's a minor scuffle outside a pub on a Saturday night and someone is charged with a Section 2 (the lowest level) assault, the cops will take written statements from all of the witnesses? And then send a file to the Super?

Yup

Edit: there's no power for arrest for S2 Assault so in general, it'll proceed by summons and not charge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

In Theory. Remember witnesses can appear after the book of evidence is served which the Guards might not have seen on the night, there rarely there when it kicks off.

Advertisement