Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Called back to Turas Nua for second time.

Options
  • 19-02-2020 7:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hi there, i have been called back to Turas Nua for a second time after completing the whole 18 month schedule two years ago. Surely they can't make me do all of that nonsense again?

I am just wondering if anyone else completed the whole 18 months the first time and then had to do another 18 months when they called you back?

I completed the whole program, they said i was done, a few months later i got a job (no thanks to them) and now two months after finishing that job i have got a letter "inviting" me back there.

I was hoping it was a mistake so i rang them and asked and the lady on the phone said they do call people back for a second time and she said it will be a "bit different" this time .. i asked her how it would be different and she literally stuttered on the phone and just made up more nonsense.

I genuinely wouldn't mind doing it but in the whole 18 months i was there they did absoulutley NOTHING for me only asked the same questions every single week and putting me forward for jobs i was in no way suited for (never heard back from any of them jobs anyway so not even sure if they did even put my name forward)

anybody have any advice on what i should do before i go signing away my freedom to these dossers for another year and a half

Thank you for you time, Joe.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,711 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

anybody have any advice on what i should do before i go signing away my freedom to these dossers for another year and a half

Get a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,637 ✭✭✭shmeee

Hi there, i have been called back to Turas Nua for a second time after completing the whole 18 month schedule two years ago. Surely they can't make me do all of that nonsense again?

I am just wondering if anyone else completed the whole 18 months the first time and then had to do another 18 months when they called you back?

I completed the whole program, they said i was done, a few months later i got a job (no thanks to them) and now two months after finishing that job i have got a letter "inviting" me back there.

I was hoping it was a mistake so i rang them and asked and the lady on the phone said they do call people back for a second time and she said it will be a "bit different" this time .. i asked her how it would be different and she literally stuttered on the phone and just made up more nonsense.

I genuinely wouldn't mind doing it but in the whole 18 months i was there they did absoulutley NOTHING for me only asked the same questions every single week and putting me forward for jobs i was in no way suited for (never heard back from any of them jobs anyway so not even sure if they did even put my name forward)

Is it not a 12 month programme? You couldn't have done 18 months so.

I know people who have been called back 3 and 4 times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Sorry to hear this Joe. They can be incredibly difficult to deal with from what i have heard. If you explain to them you are actively looking for work at present they may leave you be but i wouldn't bank on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

BanditLuke wrote: »
    Sorry to hear this Joe. They can be incredibly difficult to deal with from what i have heard. If you explain to them you are actively looking for work at present they may leave you be but i wouldn't bank on it.

Everyone on jobseekers allowance is expected to be actively looking for work so that isn't going to make any difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 JoeThornton933

shmeee wrote: »
    Is it not a 12 month programme? You couldn't have done 18 months so.

I know people who have been called back 3 and 4 times.

oh yeah, i actually done a 6 month design course in between it so it was paused for that duration and thats why mine took 18 months.

3 or 4 twelve month periods? that's rough .. how long have they been around

• Advertisement

Get a job.

EDGELORD

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 231 ✭✭Martin Lanigan

Have you considered getting a job at Turas Nua?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,637 ✭✭✭shmeee

oh yeah, i actually done a 6 month design course in between it so it was paused for that duration and thats why mine took 18 months.

3 or 4 twelve month periods? that's rough .. how long have they been around

Ah that explains it so.

Yep, 12 months X 3 or 4 times.

Started in 2015 and was extended last year so and will end in Dec 2021, last people will be referred in Dec 2020. That's according to: https://www.thejournal.ie/jobpath-extended-12-months-4824453-Sep2019/

Have you considered getting a job at Turas Nua?

They have a high turnover of staff so i may be in with a chance

also my Personal advisers computer and typing skills are something you would expect from an 8 year old, so i don't think the bar is very high

They have a high turnover of staff so i may be in with a chance

also my Personal advisers computer and typing skills are something you would expect from an 8 year old, so i don't think the bar is very high

Sounds like a good match. Good luck with it!

• Advertisement

shmeee wrote: »
    Ah that explains it so.

Yep, 12 months X 3 or 4 times.

Started in 2015 and was extended last year so and will end in Dec 2021, last people will be referred in Dec 2020. That's according to: https://www.thejournal.ie/jobpath-extended-12-months-4824453-Sep2019/

I am surprised they have lasted that long, other offices might be different but at the one where i live they literally don't do anything to help us find jobs except tell us to apply for ten per week which is something i could do on my own

Sounds like a good match. Good luck with it!

shhhh i done a computer skills course with FAS when i was a young lad :D

shhhh i done a computer skills course with FAS when i was a young lad :D

You are a shoo-in then. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

We're at full employment. It's normal that the people giving you money to keep you going during your job search want to know why you aren't working when every business you pass is saying they will hire anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

GarIT wrote: »
    We're at full employment. It's normal that the people giving you money to keep you going during your job search want to know why you aren't working when every business you pass is saying they will hire anyone.

I'm on my 2nd stint onJobpath. They havent referred me to a single job. I have a degree, i have experience in different fields, I am very employable (though I have no transport).

We're not at full employment, the Northwest is absolutely dreadful for jobs. These schemes are useless and they cost millions. Your living in a Fine Gael fantasy world talking about 'every business saying they will hire anyone'. In my town they just had to close a shop thats been there 70 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

I'm on my 2nd stint onJobpath. They havent referred me to a single job. I have a degree, i have experience in different fields, I am very employable (though I have no transport).

We're not at full employment, the Northwest is absolutely dreadful for jobs. These schemes are useless and they cost millions. Your living in a Fine Gael fantasy world talking about 'every business saying they will hire anyone'. In my town they just had to close a shop thats been there 70 years.

I guess it could be different in the North West. In Dublin I pass at least 5 staff wanted signs on a 60 second walk between my office and lunch everyday.

Nationally there are more jobs than people available for work, there might not be jobs for everyone in some regions though.

Getting yourself transport or moving nearer to a job is your responsibility imo.

Also a thing with some people with degrees is they want to stay in their field. On jobseekers it is your responsibility to take the first job you can get, if thats cleaning or working in retail or being a bin man or whatever go for it and sort our moving on to the job you want later.

Simply not true, what sort of fantasy world are you living in? i am in rural Kerry and cannot afford to move away, and there are no jobs at all

"every business is saying they will hire anyone" you know when i said they make us apply for jobs every week? i do that, and guess how many i hear back from?

Can i ask if they do the same thing the second time around on JobPath?

. On jobseekers it is your responsibility to take the first job you can get, if thats cleaning or working in retail or being a bin man or whatever go for it and sort our moving on to the job you want later.

Are you serious? hahaha

yeah one second, i spent 5 years in college to qualify for my dream job and now this random guy on the internet is telling me i have to be a bin man

you can be a slave to the system if you want but i won't

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

Can i ask if they do the same thing the second time around on JobPath?

same thing just more annoying

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭feelthepower

Is there a reason you won't move somewhere for work?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Personally I would be a bin man before I'd take social welfare.
    It's all well and good saying I have a degree so must get work in that field but I have no transport so ....

If someone wants a job, they will accept that they may have to apply and accept any job and leave being choosy to a later date.

I don't agree with turas nua. I don't believe for one minute that they are any help in gaining employment for people but if they even encourage or force one person to attempt to gain employment then maybe that's the best they will achieve.

same thing just more annoying

How many times a week do you go? i only had to go once a week last time but i know people who have to go 3 or 4 times a week bless'em lol

Personally I would be a bin man before I'd take social welfare.
    It's all well and good saying I have a degree so must get work in that field but I have no transport so ....

If someone wants a job, they will accept that they may have to apply and accept any job and leave being choosy to a later date.

I don't agree with turas nua. I don't believe for one minute that they are any help in gaining employment for people but if they even encourage or force one person to attempt to gain employment then maybe that's the best they will achieve.

I wish i could have that mentality but i couldn't do a job that i know i would not be good at or wouldn't enjoy one bit. i have done that for 2 and a half years before and it was a terrible experience. i suffer from bad anxiety and the thought of being forced into a job i am not suited for really worries me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭feelthepower

Simply not true, what sort of fantasy world are you living in? i am in rural Kerry and cannot afford to move away, and there are no jobs at all

"every business is saying they will hire anyone" you know when i said they make us apply for jobs every week? i do that, and guess how many i hear back from?

That's just an excuse that you won't move. You don't get things handed you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

I wish i could have that mentality but i couldn't do a job that i know i would not be good at or wouldn't enjoy one bit. i have done that for 2 and a half years before and it was a terrible experience. i suffer from bad anxiety and the thought of being forced into a job i am not suited for really worries me

Literally afraid of work .

• Registered Users Posts: 28,842 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

US2 wrote:
    Literally afraid of work .

Try live with mental health issues such as anxiety and/or depression for a while before posting such ignorance

• Registered Users Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

Are you serious? hahaha

yeah one second, i spent 5 years in college to qualify for my dream job and now this random guy on the internet is telling me i have to be a bin man

you can be a slave to the system if you want but i won't

I get what you're saying, i honestly do cause I've been there. I had to work a ****ty job to tide me over when i couldnt get work in my field during the recession. Eventually ended up taking on another ****ty weekend job in order to cover the cost of childcare for working (effectively for free) the other days on an internship in my chosen field. It sucks.

And you can view it as being a slave to the system but at the end of the day, you will be competing against other graduates for your dream job, who found themselves in a similar situation to yourself but worked around it and made it work, while you allowed the gap on your cv to grow. If it comes down to you and another person who has the same qualifications and relevant experience, the employer will pick the person who has been working the past year- even if its not in a position relevant to the role- and has a current enployer reference. It shows their work ethic if nothing else.

So whether you view it as being a slave to the system or whatever, you may be doing yourself a disservice here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Try live with mental health issues such as anxiety and/or depression for a while before posting such ignorance

OP said he was willing to work but only a job which he likes and which is near him, so the anxiety, depression excuse doesn't work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭frosty123

We're at full employment.

are we? don't forget all those on mickey mouse CE, TUS Schemes..

I'm in my 40s and i get little to no replies to jobs I apply to, sometimes you could have 40 - 50 applicants going for the same position, if we have FE why so many seeking work then??

Advertisement