Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Re standing on highway

Options
  • 19-02-2020 12:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi, so I have to rely on a lift from a co-worker some mornings to get to work. Safest and most logical place to wait is outside my housing estate across the road on the roadside in front of someone's house since that's the side my co-worker comes from and it's the way we're going. This morning the man in the house told me to move and that I can't stand there despite the fact I'm outside the front parameter wall, making no physical contact with said wall nor do I obstruct his driveway in any way.

My question is, is it public roadside and I should be allowed wait there for my required lift for at most 20 minutes OR could it be that his land extends beyond the outer wall up to the yellow road lines?

This whole thing really bothers me because he was essentially telling me to stand in mud where my co-worker can't safely pull over at all

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Conmhara wrote: »
    Hi, so I have to rely on a lift from a co-worker some mornings to get to work. Safest and most logical place to wait is outside my housing estate across the road on the roadside in front of someone's house since that's the side my co-worker comes from and it's the way we're going. This morning the man in the house told me to move and that I can't stand there despite the fact I'm outside the front parameter wall, making no physical contact with said wall nor do I obstruct his driveway in any way.

My question is, is it public roadside and I should be allowed wait there for my required lift for at most 20 minutes OR could it be that his land extends beyond the outer wall up to the yellow road lines?

This whole thing really bothers me because he was essentially telling me to stand in mud where my co-worker can't safely pull over at all

He doesn't own anything beyond his own patch of land. I would have told him where to get off, but I'm a crank. You weren't doing anything wrong. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,968 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Tell him to get ****ed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

Antares35 wrote: »
    He doesn't own anything beyond his own patch of land.

Actually that depends, many homeowners have property rights up to the central point of the roadway (usually more applicable to older or rural property), however it is irrelevant, they can't dictate where you stand in a public place because they can't do anything with it that is inconsistent with the public right of way over it.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

if it's a public road, you should be able to stand there no problem.

if the man in the house doesnt like it... Go all homer on him.

Tbh Photos would make this way easier to determine

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Conmhara

Good point, here's the spot in question. Thanks for all the feedback everyone

• Advertisement

Good point! Here's the spot in question

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

Looks very much like a public road , once you aren’t leaning against his wall or anything not much he can do about it . Explain you are waiting on a lift to work and not actually casing out his house to rob 😂
    Some people have little to be giving out about ...

GM228 wrote: »
    Actually that depends, many homeowners have property rights up to the central point of the roadway (usually more applicable to older or rural property), however it is irrelevant, they can't dictate where you stand in a public place because they can't do anything with it that is inconsistent with the public right of way over it.

Having a right (of parking etc.) doesn't equate to ownership though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

If you look at the original deeds of Dublin's Georgian houses they will include the land right out to the middle of the street where the coal cellar extends.

sabat wrote: »
    If you look at the original deeds of Dublin's Georgian houses they will include the land right out to the middle of the street where the coal cellar extends.

This house isn't that fancy. It's basically a cottage without the pleasant aesthetic. Would you say such a deed could apply in this case?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

GM228 wrote: »

Is that our old friend Ad Medium Filum Viae ?

sabat wrote: »

ok. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

The only other thing that occurs to me here is that OP should be careful not to give the complainer any grounds for a complaint of harassment as per S. 10 NFOATP Act 1997.

This is a remote possibility but would be unsurprising given the modern propensity towards overweening entitlement.

LINK http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1997/act/26/section/10/enacted/en/html#sec10

We are not talking about parking rights, actual ownership often extended to the centre line of the roadway especially in older or rural properties, but when taken in charge the LA effectively take on responsibility for the ad medium filum viae which Nutley Boy has mentioned.

NUTLEY BOY wrote: »
    Is that our old friend Ad Medium Filum Viae ?

Yes, and any resulting debate on the issue will no doubt result in a seriously sore head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

tell him to leave you alone.

Don't explain anything to him. He is not a guard, you don't owe him any explanation for anything, not least standing on a public road.

If he threatens you in any way call the Gardai.

He is probably one of these retired aul bastards with feck all better to do only complain about anything and everything to anyone who will give him a listening ear.

NUTLEY BOY wrote: »
    The only other thing that occurs to me here is that OP should be careful not to give the complainer any grounds for a complaint of harassment as per S. 10 NFOATP Act 1997.

This is a remote possibility but would be unsurprising given the modern propensity towards overweening entitlement.

LINK http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1997/act/26/section/10/enacted/en/html#sec10

That's very informative and I'm glad to be aware of it but thankfully I feel I am well within reasonable excuse to stand there for the limited amount of time that I do and I have absolutely no intention of interfering with his property in any way nor do I intend to cause any distress.

You have every bit as much right to stand there as you do to stand on O'Connell Street or any other public place.

That's very informative and I'm glad to be aware of it but thankfully I feel I am well within reasonable excuse to stand there for the limited amount of time that I do and I have absolutely no intention of interfering with his property in any way nor do I intend to cause any distress.

Your colleague would have probably arrived long before you had finished debating the legal ownership of said land anyway. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Next time he tells you that you can't stand there ask him "or what" ?

Watch him trip over himself or at least incriminate himself in some sort of threat.

Oh and make sure you record it on your phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭lucalux

Would agree with the posters above who say it's not illegal or wrong to stand and wait there.

I would possibly be aware that if he is an older man, then perhaps he may be a bit worried, albeit it with no grounds in this case, about 'strange' men hanging around his house. There's a lot of fear in older people I know, and they may be fearful more than busybodies...not that busybodies are that rare either!

Could you possible affirm to him that you are no threat, you are off to work, you're not up to anything and that he has no need or no grounds to be moving you on. In a calm but assertive manner? As much as you can in the situation, depending on his reaction ofc

If he kicks off I would definitely record the conversation, but I would repeat the same as above, public highway, public right of way, not on his property etc, but stating clearly that you're not doing anything wrong, not posing any threat, no skulduggery here basically. Not giving any reason for him to suspect anything beyond the facts.

It might defuse the situation, it might not.
    You would be covering yourself though.

It's not beyond the realms of possibility that he's had some bad experiences previously, with break-ins or antisocial behaviour, but if you've been clear, and not antagonistic, then any reaction is on him then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭Doop

I'm going to throw my 2c in here with a controversial opinion... I would say it is likely based on your photo that he does own that bit of land. Its not uncommon for older country houses to construct the boundary wall further back than the actually boundary to allow for sight lines/ space to pull in etc etc. The area marked with the 'x' is clearly not been given the same road surface treatment as the are outside the white line.

Either way its not the crux of the issue... I think Lucalux has a fair and reasoned response above.

lucalux wrote: »
    Would agree with the posters above who say it's not illegal or wrong to stand and wait there.

I would possibly be aware that if he is an older man, then perhaps he may be a bit worried, albeit it with no grounds in this case, about 'strange' men hanging around his house. There's a lot of fear in older people I know, and they may be fearful more than busybodies...not that busybodies are that rare either!

Could you possible affirm to him that you are no threat, you are off to work, you're not up to anything and that he has no need or no grounds to be moving you on. In a calm but assertive manner? As much as you can in the situation, depending on his reaction ofc

If he kicks off I would definitely record the conversation, but I would repeat the same as above, public highway, public right of way, not on his property etc, but stating clearly that you're not doing anything wrong, not posing any threat, no skulduggery here basically. Not giving any reason for him to suspect anything beyond the facts.

It might defuse the situation, it might not.
    You would be covering yourself though.

It's not beyond the realms of possibility that he's had some bad experiences previously, with break-ins or antisocial behaviour, but if you've been clear, and not antagonistic, then any reaction is on him then.

Honestly since Harr mentioned the whole burglary thing I figured the guy was most likely just concerned. There have been a decent handful of break-ins in the area so if that's the case, I'll be happy to clear it up and let him know I understand his concerns seeing that I have shared the same concerns for the past few months.

Anyways, I won't be trying to record anything, even if he does get a bit aggro. I'm not looking to escalate things. I'm just gonna be clear with him if he complains again and hopefully that should be the end of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Assuming he knows you're just waiting for a lift, there should be no issue at all. If he's a crank, just ignore him. If you think he's vulnerable in some way, just mention that it's good to have someone else there now & then.

Doop wrote: »
    I'm going to throw my 2c in here with a controversial opinion... I would say it is likely based on your photo that he does own that bit of land. Its not uncommon for older country houses to construct the boundary wall further back than the actually boundary to allow for sight lines/ space to pull in etc etc. The area marked with the 'x' is clearly not been given the same road surface treatment as the are outside the white line.

Either way its not the crux of the issue... I think Lucalux has a fair and reasoned response above.

Yeah I noticed that as well, hence my initial query

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭lucalux

Honestly since Harr mentioned the whole burglary thing I figured the guy was most likely just concerned. There have been a decent handful of break-ins in the area so if that's the case, I'll be happy to clear it up and let him know I understand his concerns seeing that I have shared the same concerns for the past few months.

Anyways, I won't be trying to record anything, even if he does get a bit aggro. I'm not looking to escalate things. I'm just gonna be clear with him if he complains again and hopefully that should be the end of it

Yeah that's true alright I'd fully agree, recording would be something that can escalate a situation for sure (would only take out a phone myself if it escalated badly tbh).

An assurance to him with some empathy towards his possible fears would be the most likely thing to put his mind at rest, and leave you to get to work in peace! Hope it goes well for you

If he has fear or anxienties or any other thing, that is not the OPs problem. I wouldn't be engaging him at all. The OP is under no obligation to talk to him or explain anything to him.

So what if this guy calls the Gardai, what are the Gardai supposed to do? They will not entertain this guy because there is someone waiting for a lift on a public road.

If he gets smart with you then take out your phone and stick it in his face and warn him that, for your own safety, you are recording all further interactions - most of these neighbourhood busybodies get very shy all of a sudden when their behaviour is recorded for other to see.

If he has fear or anxienties or any other thing, that is not the OPs problem. I wouldn't be engaging him at all. The OP is under no obligation to talk to him or explain anything to him.

So what if this guy calls the Gardai, what are the Gardai supposed to do? They will not entertain this guy because there is someone waiting for a lift on a public road.

If he gets smart with you then take out your phone and stick it in his face and warn him that, for your own safety, you are recording all further interactions - most of these neighbourhood busybodies get very shy all of a sudden when their behaviour is recorded for other to see.

To be clear, I will not stick my phone in his face or record anything. Either we'll talk it out and he backs down or I'll ignore him and remain as polite and non-threatening as possible so that I'm clearly the reasonable one. I don't want trouble, just want to get to work

• Registered Users Posts: 51,497 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

That’s gas.
    I’d love to see him coming out to tell me to move.

He has no right to tell you to move.

• Advertisement

Be reasonable - he doesn't own the land but he doesn't have to own it to be concerned about it.

Ould lads reading the Sun each day might think you're a drug mule and that's become the new collection point, and someday you'll want a cup of tea whilst you wait, so you'll break in and beat him to death.

My approach would simply be to knock into him and say hello. Once he sees you're a decent person going about your work life, he likely won't care anymore. Arguing or fighting with him over it doesn't help or benefit anyone. If he's still antagonistic after you talked to him, then you can tell him to feck off, but at least try the polite approach first. Put yourself in other people's shoes :)

Advertisement