Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have eircode still cant get broadband

Options
  • 17-02-2020 1:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭

So having waited nearly 4 months without an eircode I finally get one this morning and went to order broadband.
    Only to be told that they cant locate my eircode on there system and I need to contact Eir
    Contact Eir and they have advised that it will possibly be another week before it gets added to there system and only then can I order broadband
    This surely is guaranteeing a monopoly of the broadband if Eir are the only ones that can feed the system for eircodes
    Does anybody know ways around this?
    Have tried imagine and they are full in my location

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Eir "own" the lines and rent them out to other providers. I would imagine that once your Eircode has been added that it will be visible to all other providers too.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭oleard1987

Is there a special way of getting this added to the eir database or is it just case of ringing them up

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Marlow, OB or Martin will be able to advise better but the APQ file, a master database of all the lines/eircodes and services available at them is produced every 2 or 4wks. Then telcos have to integrate it into their sales platform which can be the same day or another fortnight.

If you *require* an eircode then you're FTTH I assume. If so an OpenEir engineer needs to survey and add you as far as I know, its not possible to reliably automate.

ED E wrote: »
    Marlow, OB or Martin will be able to advise better but the APQ file, a master database of all the lines/eircodes and services available at them is produced every 2 or 4wks. Then telcos have to integrate it into their sales platform which can be the same day or another fortnight.

If you *require* an eircode then you're FTTH I assume. If so an OpenEir engineer needs to survey and add you as far as I know, its not possible to reliably automate.

I genuinely don't even know if i can get broadband ,i have used neighbours eircodes as a test and it seems broadband is available ,there is a EIR box connected to the side of my house

Have contacted Comreg and they said they can't do anything about it

Having waiting nearly 3 months for an Eircode to now have to wait again is very frustrating

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭jammer84

I took a look on https://www.eir.ie/broadband/checkyourline/ as our Eircode went live on eircode.ie yesterday also.

When just entering the Eircode, it doesn't locate the address. If I enter the full address, including the Eircode it find's the property ok and show's the speeds available. Sadly, no FTTH :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 conordarcy

I'm in the same boat. Everybody around me has FTTH but as my eircode is new its not in the openeir APQ file so cant order.
    This is going on about 6 months now so don't hold your breath waiting for your eircode to to appear in the list all by itself.
    Openeir dont respond to emails & there doesn't seem to be a process of getting new eircodes added.

Seems like a crazy oversight. Whats the point in creating a network that is stuck in a moment in time & can't grow?

If anybody has had any experience with getting a new eircode added to the APQ file please let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭skippy2

you got to love it. I have Eir Fibre BB installed and an eircode but just for fun when i do a search on Eir they cannot find my address etc or phone number etc which i take from my eir profile.......only in Ireland
    When i search with my phone number only, from eir, it says BB and Fibre not available in my area. What a joke

jammer84 wrote: »
    I took a look on https://www.eir.ie/broadband/checkyourline/ as our Eircode went live on eircode.ie yesterday also.

When just entering the Eircode, it doesn't locate the address. If I enter the full address, including the Eircode it find's the property ok and show's the speeds available. Sadly, no FTTH :(

Have you had any luck finding broadband

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭jammer84

oleard1987 wrote: »
    Have you had any luck finding broadband

House is still 5 or 6 weeks at least off being finished with no ESB connected yet so haven't tried to pursue the broadband and phone line just yet.

Checked the airwave page again this morning and looks like they have updated today but still cant find my eircode on there site
    Very frustrating

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Sponsorgate

jammer84 wrote: »
    House is still 5 or 6 weeks at least off being finished with no ESB connected yet so haven't tried to pursue the broadband and phone line just yet.

Hi Jammer84, would it possible i could get info from you regards what you need to install in your house ( in the middle of a new build) so I'm ready to hook to FTHH broadband when the time does eventually come :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

When I put in my own eircode into the open eir website, it states "Unfortunately we are unable to provide a result for this Eircode"

Even though the eircode website is generating this eircode for me. Neighbouring houses also return the same error. Any idea?

joe123 wrote: »
    When I put in my own eircode into the open eir website, it states "Unfortunately we are unable to provide a result for this Eircode"

Even though the eircode website is generating this eircode for me. Neighbouring houses also return the same error. Any idea?

I am in the same boat ,Seems that once you have gathered your eircode then OPENEIR need to send out your files in the APQ file and only then can you get broadband

Bit of a disaster really

I am in the same boat ,Seems that once you have gathered your eircode then OPENEIR need to send out your files in the APQ file and only then can you get broadband

Bit of a disaster really

Managed to get a sky engineer to come on Monday week to install a line so i can test the speed ,I wont hold my breath but its a start anyway ,presume the rep took a gamble that my eircode will be on the APQ file tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Managed to get a sky engineer to come on Monday week to install a line so i can test the speed ,I wont hold my breath but its a start anyway ,presume the rep took a gamble that my eircode will be on the APQ file tomorrow

50% chance KNN turn up and say you should be on fiber not POTs and just leave.

ED E wrote: »
    50% chance KNN turn up and say you should be on fiber not POTs and just leave.

Its 50% better than what I was told al last week, really is a nightmare ,
    What is POTS ?
    There already looks to be an EIR box into to the side of my house and someone close has sky broadband as I am showing full signal in sitting room
    Yet there is no1 move in on either side of me

Its 50% better than what I was told al last week, really is a nightmare ,
    What is POTS ?
    There already looks to be an EIR box into to the side of my house and someone close has sky broadband as I am showing full signal in sitting room
    Yet there is no1 move in on either side of me

Have now cancelled the sky and Eir are coming on Tuesday to install the broadband, should be able to check for speed then to see if we can get fibre

Engineer came and went ,no lines installed past the 1st 10 houses in the estate 😠
    Ended up getting the vodafone router
    Disappointing to say to the least

• Registered Users Posts: 1 DaveCross

I spent months trying to get an Eircode including contacting Minister Hildegarde Naughtons office. I finally got an Eircode and am now being told by providers that it can take OpenEir 6 to 12 months to put on their system, it’s a joke !

Took me from November 2019 till May 2021 to get my eircode and have the cable installed in the estate

My advice is to contact your local broadband officer on the council and to email every TD in your local constituency .They can raise this internally with the Oireachtas EIR department .Keep hassling them and if they say they will reply in 5 days make sure you contact them in 5 days and ask for an update

One of the most frustrating aspects of building or buying a new home

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Thanks for this - didn't even know we had a broadband officer! We've been waiting since March of this year and because the houses have an A2 BER rating, there's absolutely zero signal inside the house so mobile broadband isn't even an option! The DECC are looking into our case and pretty much everyone we've dealt with are putting the blame on Open Eir, who apparently take 6 months to a year to supply this info. Utterly outrageous in this day and age!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,369 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Hiw does this work with Siro?

new build. house has eircode but Siro website doesn't pick it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Bob R

Having the same issue with Siro. Got my eircode in the July/August update but Siro still doesn’t recognise it yet when I search on their website so I can’t get fibre internet. Is there any way around this?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,619 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Just a note if you can't get cabled broadband you should really get an aerial installed. You shouldn't use an internal modem anyway for best connection in that scenario it's rubbish. This would negate and external or internal insulations you have.

Might be a route to pursue. Frankly any wireless connection should have dedicated external antenna.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Unfortunately as we live in council accomodation, an aerial was not allowed under any circumstances. But luckily, we got our broadband installed and activated last week after the DECC got back in touch with me to say they had escalated the issue. Very thankful too, as my kids have had to two TWO isolations from school already, and we had no way to keep up to date on their schoolwork!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

To anyone stuck for Broadband have a look at Vodafone mobile broadband. It has a 14 day trial, if its no good for you then send it back.

Im running it now for over 3 years and its been faultless, Eir fiber is available but I cant stand them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

Would you have any recommendations on external aerials for mobile WiFi boxes ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ash269

Hi there, this situation seems to be same from year to year.

I am on same situation where I have moved 2 months ago in a new build in Lusk and we still dont have broadband. The eircode has been showing on eircode.ie since february but not on internet providers systems. The builders say it is a delay with internet providers, sales teams of internet providers say we cant do anything until the eircode shows on our systems. Virgin media and circet kn have done some works and can see the cable in the virgin media box outside the property but they say they are having off site problems - i doubt they want to complete these once all new houses are completed - which would be around 2 months from now. Any advise?

I have emailed decc and they say they have their hands tied, i have emailed nbi and all internet providers and broadband officer for fingal with no response. Today I called eir again and they said they will contact openeir and ask if the address will be added. Is it how it normally works? Just this email from eir to openeir and then they come and do the installation? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 15,481 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

I read somewhere that the address file is updated with new eircodes twice a year, so every six months .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 ash269

Actually the situation has changed as of today other new houses in the estate are being connected today where others including ours are not. Virgin media and circet mentioning they have come across some off site issues with main trunk fibre. Anyone has any idea what this means? How much time can it take to be solved?

Advertisement