Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Total Recall 1990

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

FYP*
    It's an enjoyable film, but you really have to GET TO THE CHOPPA!!!! to beat Predator.

*not saying Predator is his best.. though it's definitely up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

What a movie. Was on ITV4 again on Saturday night. Must have seen it a dozen times (even more) over the years.
    Has to be Arnold Schwarzenegger's best movie. A tall feat considering movies like Predator and Terminator.
    Everything about it... from the story. To Mars. The score. The cast. I could go on :)

It's also the type of movie where watching it again you pick up on new details.
    I personally watch the movie as the story is being told. Like that what you see is what is meant to be happening. But there is enough stuff thrown in there to cast doubt any of it is real.

Like when Quaid first goes to recall and freaks out screaming "you blew my cover!" - That's Houser back in control or, as said moments later, he is acting out his secret agent ego trip.

Moments before the "implant" happens you can see the mars reactor on the tv set as artwork. One of the tech guys even says "oh blue sky on mars thats a new one" - and the movie ends with a blue sky.. on mars!

Anyone share to love for this movie? :p
    Yeah its a great movie.
    I was on an Arnie binge there over christmas and watched this along with Predator,Running Man,Red Heat,True lies and T2.
    Arnie is a great man for the lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

sharon stone in her prime...whats not to like

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

fryup wrote: »
    sharon stone in her prime...whats not to like
    If she's good enough for Fr. Jack...;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Has to be Arnold Schwarzenegger's best movie. A tall feat considering movies like Predator and Terminator.

It's a great film but not in the same league as Term 1&2, true lies and Pretator

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Classic Arnie, definitely in his top 5 for sure, but no way is it better than Predator, True Lies or the mighty T2, which in my opinion is his best movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Corvo

batman_oh wrote: »
    Great film but for me Commando is the ultimate Arnie film. Cheese ball 80s greatness, ridiculous to the point that they must have been taking the p*ss and riddled with one liner goodness

God I loved Commando. I used to watch it every Saturday morning while my parents were in bed. I must have seen it a couple of hundred times :D

I don't think Total Recall is his best movie. I'd argue that Predator would have been a pretty good movie even without Arnie, he just happened to top it all off and tip it into greatness.

The Terminator role was made for him due to his presence alone, but hardly a stretch of his acting ability.

I'd push towards True Lies, which was a surprising show of his comedic talent and timing. And it was just...fun.

Terminator 2 also has claims, especially as the Terminator "learns" more about human emotion.

Corvo wrote: »
    God I loved Commando. I used to watch it every Saturday morning while my parents were in bed. I must have seen it a couple of hundred times :D

I don't think Total Recall is his best movie. I'd argue that Predator would have been a pretty good movie even without Arnie, he just happened to top it all off and tip it into greatness.

The Terminator role was made for him due to his presence alone, but hardly a stretch of his acting ability.

I'd push towards True Lies, which was a surprising show of his comedic talent and timing. And it was just...fun.

Terminator 2 also has claims, especially as the Terminator "learns" more about human emotion.

McTiernan did a great job directing it, even before the Predator showed up it was an excellent action film. Now compare it with that last piece of dogsh*t by Shane Black.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

“......if I’m not me,then who the hell am I ?”. Ah classic Arnie line, delivered in great gusto!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭Titclamp

Loved it as a kid. As there's nothing else to compared it to as a kid. Now its tacky

Philip k dick probably hated it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,860 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Very good movie.. The remake was also a classic

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

DellyBelly wrote: »
    Very good movie.. The remake was also a classic

Wait. What? The 2012 Colin Farrell remake a "classic"? Underappreciated at a pinch, but what makes it a classic?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Commando is on Film 4 at 9pm.

Found out something interesting about Total Recall. Accordingly (online source) it first premiered on ITV in 1993. Which would have been when my dad taped it.

It is said to be shown "uncut" - and having watched that tape many, many times when I was younger its true to a degree.

Like when ITV showed Lethal Weapon 3 (assume in 1996) they cut it to bits. All swears were redubbed. ITV did show total recall relatively uncensored however I do remember that they cut the death shot of the scientist where Quaid breaks out of the recall machine near the end of movie.
    He stabs him in the face and on ITV version it didn't show the scientist falling to the ground dying with the metal rod through him.

So, I assume they must have cut something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,910 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

^
    Bunch a melonfarmers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Do stations still censor? I don't have a TV connection anymore, and last time I recall (see what I did there?) it was Sky sniping racier jokes from Simpsons episodes - or the occasional swear (such as the U2 episodes use of "w&nker"). Airline flights are the one situation you still get lame censoring on films for sure. Still as clunky and arbitrary as you can imagine, especially with cussin' . It's one reason why I tend not to bother watching anything on longer flights.

pixelburp wrote: »
    Do stations still censor? I don't have a TV connection anymore, and last time I recall (see what I did there?) it was Sky sniping racier jokes from Simpsons episodes - or the occasional swear (such as the U2 episodes use of "w&nker"). Airline flights are the one situation you still get lame censoring on films for sure. Still as clunky and arbitrary as you can imagine, especially with cussin' . It's one reason why I tend not to bother watching anything on longer flights.

Channel 4 have been censoring Simpsons episodes for years now. They hack so much out that the jokes make no sense at all anymore. They would be pre-watershed not sure if they censor things after 9pm.

You were always better off watching films on RTE back in the old day, they never censored anything (I heard that they wouldn't pay for the machinery to edit films) and as far as I know they still don't- I've heard a few 'sh*ts' and even some 'motherf*ckers' slip through in afternoon films on RTE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

Definitely one of Verhoeven's best.

Recall Goodfella's being censored back in the day on ITV "Now go home and get your "funny" shine box" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,910 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

pixelburp wrote: »

Some do. 'South Park' regularly gets bleeped.

I don't think, these days, that stations go as far as, say, the likes of BBC and ITV did back in the late 80's, early 90's. I'm old enough to remember the legendary censored cuts of 'Aliens', 'Repo Man', 'Robo Cop' and a whole host of other movies, hence my "melonfarmers" post above. (for those who don't know, BBC2 asked Alex Cox to overdub "motherfucker" with "melonfarmer" when it was broadcast in early 90's to make his movie more "acceptable").

As far as flights are concerned, I was very surprised to watch a complete and uncut Godfather trilogy on a trip to the States a couple of years ago. Maybe Aer Lingus don't censor everything?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭mathie

Fieldog wrote: »
    We watched it in primary school, our teacher scrambling across the room to fast forward that scene as he was oblivious to it and had never seen it before someone brought it in to watch...

Hilarious to think we could watch this, Gremlins, and even Nightmare On Elm Street in primary school...

Contrast to my friends child, one of their teachers brought in a Nightmare before Christmas and there was letters home and teachers getting reprimanded for it...

We lived in simpler time's! :)

You couldn't write this but I went to an Altar Boy party (many moons ago) in the local parish and the priest put on .... Predator.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Yippee ki-yay, Kimosabe.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,666 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Watched Total Recall (again!) last week too and it's still a great movie, but not his best by any stretch.

That honour would probably fall to Predator or T2, but I love The Running Man myself.

Still, "see you at the party Richter!"

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Watched Total Recall (again!) last week too and it's still a great movie, but not his best by any stretch.

That honour would probably fall to Predator or T2, but I love The Running Man myself.

Still, "see you at the party Richter!"

Ah the running man. Classic movie too.
    For some reason wasn't shown for many years on TV..then I buy the dvd in 2007 and it's always on haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭arcticmonkeys

sugarman wrote: »
    I remember RTE showed Titanic at 1 or 2 o'clockin the day over the Christmas one year completely unedited.. there was a thread on After hours about it!

..and funny enough, I only noticed Channel 4 censoring Simpsons episodes recently. The scene where Moe opens a new trendy / hipster / European bar and the models Moe is sitting with say "all this yelling is taking away my horniness" and "ever since Chernobyl, my penis is falling off" was cut out. Made no sense because the Argument / Conversation between Homer and Moe was gone / didn't happen.

TG4 broadcast Cliffhanger in the middle of the day years back after some GAA match was called off. Never actually realized how violent the movie was until your watching it in the middle of the day pre-watershed lol.

TG4 broadcast Cliffhanger in the middle of the day years back after some GAA match was called off. Never actually realized how violent the movie was until your watching it in the middle of the day pre-watershed lol.
    I remember watching Buddy Buddy on RTE once at about 2 o'clock on a Saturday afternoon. Walter Matthau and Jack Lemmon, must be a charming comedy about a pair of mismatched friends, right?
    Wrong, Jack Lemmon kept trying to kill himself and Walter Matthau played a foul mouthed hitman. Lots of off colour talk about sex throughout too.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

***all-time classic scene***

we had a geography teacher just like her which made it extra hilarious in school:p

I remember watching Buddy Buddy on RTE once at about 2 o'clock on a Saturday afternoon. Walter Matthau and Jack Lemmon, must be a charming comedy about a pair of mismatched friends, right?
    Wrong, Jack Lemmon kept trying to kill himself and Walter Matthau played a foul mouthed hitman. Lots of off colour talk about sex throughout too.

Well that's crazy
    As I too remember watching bits of it one Saturday afternoon and at one point Walter Matthau goes to grab jack lemon while screaming "you p***k!"

I was like "did rte just let they through?" - imagine that got loads of grannies calling in.

Probably the same showing you watched. Going back about ohhhhh 15 years ago or something.

Edit
    It appears jack lemons character was that on a TV censor. The irony. Lol.

Well that's crazy
    As I too remember watching bits of it one Saturday afternoon and at one point Walter Matthau goes to grab jack lemon while screaming "you p***k!"

I was like "did rte just let they through?" - imagine that got loads of grannies calling in.

Probably the same showing you watched. Going back about ohhhhh 15 years ago or something.

Edit
    It appears jack lemons character was that on a TV censor. The irony. Lol.
    He called him an asshole a few times and told another character to **** off :D
    I reckon RTE saw the film title and the two actors and thought it would just be like the Odd Couple part 2 and didn't bother checking it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,958 ✭✭✭✭bnt

When it comes to acting, I think Arnie was also very good in The 6th Day. It wasn't an Arnie vehicle, it was originally supposed to star Kevin Costner, but there was a scheduling conflict.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

Advertisement