Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Body & Soul 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭keithkk16

Anyone know if you need to change names on tickets for if you give it to someone else? Ticketbooth is saying its to late to change the name

• Registered Users Posts: 12 OtterLM

Any confirmation on the campsite opening time? Car park at 12 but have heard both 1 and 2 o'clock for the campsite🤷‍♂️

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

Came here to ask similar. Except about the campervan site. Anyone any ideas ?

Didn't get any emails from them here.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,729 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Rumours circulating that it's not free flow, has anyone heard anything?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Bricknasty were outrageous, what a band. One of the best acts I’ve seen, not sure how I slept on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,722 ✭✭✭endainoz

Going by the pics it didn't seem anywhere near sold out. I wonder how close they got to 5000 tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭RINO87

Was thinking the same, but going by some of the pics, the main stage looked to be in the same, or similar place, which with only a third of the crowd expected would look very sparse.

Photos from the us and you campsite made it look like a dream....would have loved to experience it with a small crowd again, if it does go on, then I expect it'll be back up around the 10k mark, and rightfully so.

Guess we will just have to wait for the reports to roll in tomorrow, I haven't had the heart to open messages from mates that are up at it yet. Not able. Tomorrow will do, and we can laser focus on ATN 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭overpronator

It was outrageously good. Can't wait for next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Mazzy Star

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭dmm82

Truthfully one of few best festival experience I've had, everyone in my group said the same and we have been to hundreds of festivals over the last 20 years. The smaller crowd made it so special. Everyone we spoke to was so sound, loads of space to sit and chill in all the magical little areas. So much art and exploring to do and it was big enough to get lost in yet small enough to bump into friends and pop back to the tents and vans if needed. Weather was also fantastic. Saw some brilliant music from sprints, King kong company, John hopkins, roisin Murphy, houseplants, daithi, new Jackson, Mary wallopers just to name a few. Also had some great new experiences at the Jon Hopkins meditation experience and a special shout our to Bubba Shakespeare who we discovered in the walled garden. The Pagan Rave topped it all off, incredible! Food was great and the place was clean and buzzing with atmosphere all weekend. Serious fuzzies in the tummy after it. Well done to all the staff and organisers

:)

I had a great time. The crowd was that little bit older like myself and was great craic. Everyone I spoke too was in good form and good fun. Weather was nice but it was freezing at times. Campsite was nice and spacious, lots of room and was clean all weekend.

The highlight for me was the pagan rave. Also loved Godford and who ever it was on after him on that stage. Also enjoyed Mogwai, Daithi, Houseplants and King Kong Company and the DJ on the Beacon stage late on Saturday night. The setup of the woods was nice.

Biggest disappointment for me was John Hopkins, Id be a big Hopkins fan but I didn't know it was a DJ set he was doing rather than his own stuff. I find his DJ stuff far too heavy and thought I'd be hearing stuff from Singularity and Immunity with some remixes of other stuff. But everyone else I spoke with seemed to enjoy it so I was on my own on that.

There could've been more food stall choices and the toilets stank as not everyone was using the sawdust, but other than that it was near perfect and the much smaller crowd enhanced the experience for me.

Hopefully they made enough money to put it on next year and I'll definitely be going again if it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Pretty much as good as it gets. You can really tell how much love goes into organising and designing the site. Brilliant crowd and weather was fantastic as well. Highlights were Lisa O'Neill and David O'Doherty. Absolutely fcked now, that was my 3rd weekend in a row after Forbidden Fruit and beyond the pale. Time to sleep now until all together now

• Registered Users Posts: 9,810 ✭✭✭Charlie

Would echo what others have said. The reduced size and reworking of the festival was definitely a plus overall, particularly in terms of the crowd, atmosphere and cleanliness. The place was spotless to my eye all weekend, which is really quite something for an Irish festival. The staff / stewards / security working there also added to the experience, all of them really sound and no ‘us and them’ vibe that you often get at bigger festivals.

My only small complaint was that I felt they weee missing something in not having a decent sized tent like they used to have with The Midnight Circus. Certain acts (like King Kong Company) are just much better suited to a properly enclosed tent imo, but I guess that’s one of the trade offs for the reduced sized of the festival.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭overpronator

Beautiful crowd and vibe and a nice contrast in energy between the wooded area and main stage. Thought the music was great, loved Hopkins DJ set, King Kong company, Sophie Kourtesis, Kelly Lee Owens, Kneecap and of course Roisin (what a performer).

Venue and campsite were immaculate and solid food and drink offerings.

Not sure it gets better really at that size. Really hope they banked enough to keep it alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,390 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I had a lovely Body&Soul, absolutely buzzing from it, was just so lovely to be back in Ballinlough again and I think everyone else felt the same. Caught a nice number of acts and I nominate Cabin in the Woods the new My House for meeting up with folk and chilling the early hours away.

Friday: Caught the Sprints who were pretty decent sorta like a bit of Sonic Youth in style, caught the talk about psychedelics in the secret orchard stage with Blind Boy and Jon Hopkins in the panel. The Jon Hopkins gig at the end of the night was mind blowing, I thought Magdelena Bay on the Woodlands Stage were fabulous, a checkback to New Romantic era with the synths but a nice crunch with guitars and a brilliant female singer. New Jackson at the end of the night on the Woodlands stage was amazing too. La Salamandas at Endless Love who were lovely and chilled, some pop up musicians playing Klezmer music and a lovely trad concert from Edel Fox and her husband in the open air Orchard stage.

Saturday: Caught the Pillow Queens, Mother DJs and the wonderful Roisin Murphy, the brilliant Pagan Rave with Blindboy rapping.

Sunday: Lee Fields (brilliant soul act in the same vein as Charles Bradley), Yard Act had cancelled so we got the brilliant surprise of the Mary Wallopers who were one of my highlights and very funny. Yves Tumour (Similar type of buzz to Bloc Party), Mogwai were pretty good, Loved the Houseplants set better than Bell X1, Neil Flynn at the Bandstand/Kinsale Gin stage, a brilliant female hip hop act at the Hennessey stage in the afternoon. A great weekend in all.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Bricknasty at the woodlands stage was my favourite performance of the weekend, Fatboys energy is crazy. Kellie Lee Owens was thumping on Sunday night, even the security man by the stage couldn’t resist bopping away for the whole set. Kate Brennan Harding played a blinder on the beacon stage as well just before Mary Wallopers started on the main stage. Remi Wolf was excellent and I’d 100% love to see her at another Irish festival, she seems

I thought the sound was excellent at the main stage and likewise in the woodlands which wouldn’t be the easiest of spaces to work with. All the sound engineers deserve recognition for their hard work and knowledge.

It was a nice change to stay in a campsite that wasn’t covered in filth. That prick in the leave no trace campsite that screamed “brother” for 2 days straight deserved a camping chair to the head but you can’t please everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Peesh89

Unbelievable weekend. Was feeling a bit dodge seeing the amount of people selling tickets before hand but it was absolutely fantastic. Will definitely be back next year after that. Great spot surrounded by lovely people in Leave No Trace. @Van Doozy the cold cans went down a treat with all my pals, they were asked were they heard of it but didn't know I'd heard from Boards. Loved the new Beacon stage, think it worked really well that there was always something on in the main area between the two stages instead of it emptying out completely between acts, a great idea.

Friday - King Kong Comp, was a bit raging they didn't play some of their more popular songs but understand they want to play newness and switch it up too, fair enough :) Always love Jon Hopkins and nearly shed a tear when he played the new tune he has with Haai. Then caught Godford and New Jackson in the woodlands, both fantastic for a Friday night.

Saturday - Laid out in the sun on the hill at the mainstage and caught Lisa O Neill followed by one of my highlights CMAT, what a gal!! Bopped around Hennesey stage and the gardens for a while before heading back to Mother and Roisin Murphy (and her 700 amazing costume changes!) raging we missed The Pagan Rave but everyone we spoke to said it was amazing. Went to Sofia Kourtesis then in the woodlands, another unbelievable set. And then finished the night with Chloe on the Beacon.

Sunday - Started with singalongsocial, always good to get up and going on a sunday. Went to sit in the gardens for a while only to hear the MokieAh queens doing an Abba sing along at the Endless Love stage so went in there... my voice was well and truly gone after those two! Had some lazy mates that didn't want to go to Mary Wallopers but made it down to Hennessey in time to catch Abbacaxi, multi-instrumentalist dude that I'd listened to a bit before heading down, was v.good. Then went to Kneecap - absolutely gas watching such a huge crowd and most of them not a clue what they were saying in Irish but really great atmosphere. Went on to Daithi - fantastic as always, some really great new tunes, Sunset and Moonlight(? Moon something anyway) that I can't wait to hear again.

Only downside all weekend was the toilets, whatever about the smell/sawdust situation which was pretty grim there just wasn't enough toilets at all, queues were insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Granite Head

"Remi Wolf was excellent and I’d 100% love to see her at another Irish festival" - my favourite act of the weekend.

2024 Gigs and Events: Jarlath Regan, Depeche Mode, Roisin Murphy, Pip Blom, Nouvelle Vogue, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, Murder Capital, Pixies, The Stranglers, Liam Gallagher & John Squires, The Jesus & Mary Chain, DJ Shadow, Cam Cole, Fight Like Apes, The Hives, Somebody's Child, Sprints, Bob Log lll, Jimmy Carr, Richard Hawley, Beyond The Pale, LCD Sound System, Patti Smith, Night & Day Festival, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, The Beat, All Together Now, Electric Picnic, Bonny Prince Billy, Phospherescant, Ride, Dirt Birds, Tommy Tiernan, The Last Dinner Party, John Grant, Iron & Wine, Therapy, Nick Cave, Peter Hook & The Light, Idles, Khruangbin, Lightning Seeds, Amble

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Granite Head

Anyone know who the DJ who closed out Endless in Love Sunday night (@1.00pm)? Down as Fuzzy Rock?

2024 Gigs and Events: Jarlath Regan, Depeche Mode, Roisin Murphy, Pip Blom, Nouvelle Vogue, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, Murder Capital, Pixies, The Stranglers, Liam Gallagher & John Squires, The Jesus & Mary Chain, DJ Shadow, Cam Cole, Fight Like Apes, The Hives, Somebody's Child, Sprints, Bob Log lll, Jimmy Carr, Richard Hawley, Beyond The Pale, LCD Sound System, Patti Smith, Night & Day Festival, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, The Beat, All Together Now, Electric Picnic, Bonny Prince Billy, Phospherescant, Ride, Dirt Birds, Tommy Tiernan, The Last Dinner Party, John Grant, Iron & Wine, Therapy, Nick Cave, Peter Hook & The Light, Idles, Khruangbin, Lightning Seeds, Amble

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,490 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Sounds like an amazing weekend lads. Delighted to hear it went so well. Had the feel of a festival in trouble in the run up but only positive vibes coming out since. 100% a place for that size and quality fest on the Summer schedule.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Dreamweapon

Just in case everyone is thinking this is the way forward for B&S (smaller capacity, lots of space), remember, they did say that next year would see a return to full capacity and families allowed back in. There was also mention that all camping would be Leave No Trace in 2023, so would be interesting to see how that works out.

There really shouldn't be a smell with compost toilets if used properly. I guess they weren't.

Sounds like it was good fun, but substituting Yard Act with Mary Wallopers? Jesus, that's grim.

Big on the all mouth and trousers scene

It wasn't a substitute, Mary Wallopers were always down to perform (albeit as a unannounced guest) and Yard Act had transport issues. The substitute was Kneecap for Sampha the Great.

the crowd went nuts for them, wasn’t my cup of tea but I still sat on the hill and watched their whole set pouring vodka into my slushies 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 13,254 ✭✭✭✭fits

Sounds like it was a great festival. It seems a crowded market this year and a few of the old hands might be reluctant to re-emerge after the covid break.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭dav09

4th time at Body and Soul and it was as amazing as always, if not better in a couple of ways. Great crowd and some really good music, I always find some new bands every time I visit so nothing different this time in that manner.

It had great atmosphere and lots of room everywhere with the downsized capacity, but I do actually look forward to it returning to full capacity again as I missed the big Hennessy Tent in 2019 and previous years (before the sponsorship too) was amazing, sound and lighting and design was always top notch particular in 2018/2019. I'd also like to see all that area with Reckless In Love return, it was nice both inside the main arena and in its old spot which I think I preferred actually. The new Hennessy area was great and hope it stays, it could probably fit nicely into the spot where the absolute tent was, the sponsorship works really well and I'd love to see that stage remain for the late night DJ sets and for Irish/smaller hip-hop acts maybe, and use the bigger Hennessy tent next year for bigger hip-hop and the likes of King Kong Company type acts.

The beacon stage was absolutely fantastic. A brilliant addition and was super good fun at night, the design in terms of lighting and Funktion One sound system just sounded brilliant from all angles. The shape and area it was in made so much sense, hope that is a permanent feature and fair play to everyone involved for designing it.

Jon Hopkins was the highlight for me but wish it was a live set, Roisin Murphy, King Kong Company, Mogwai, Houseplants, Lee Fields and too many other acts to mention on the Hennessy Stage and Woodlands stage in particular were amazing. I think they really did well with the layout with the downsizing of it but as I said some old areas and features were missed but some new changes welcomed.

So yeah, all in all it was absolutely brilliant. I was worried about it returning as I remember it being mentioned in a podcast during COVID that it seemed to be in doubt. I also remember in 2019 it felt like it didn't sell as well as previous and didn't feel like it was at the 5000 capacity this year, maybe 3 or 4k. But it's very difficult to judge hopefully it was misleading. Getting to the front row on the mainstage was fairly easy for most acts. I really hope it was enough of a success financially, it's honestly the best festival in Ireland in my opinion after being to possibly 10-15 different festivals previously and will 100% be buying tickets to next year's event if it happens. Thanks to all the organisers and everyone involved, you really know how to put on a brilliant show.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭dmm82

Hi just wondering where it was mentioned that it will be returning to full capacity next year?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Dreamweapon

Pretty sure i saw it in the FAQ's for this year.

Big on the all mouth and trousers scene

• Advertisement

Yeah that's what it seems like from the info page. I'd love to know how many they actually sold this year.

Advertisement