Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Euromillions- what would your family get?!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

I'd buy a 2 bed apartment in Dublin and use the fiver left over to buy a pint of Guinness at the local

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭dingdong1234567

They would get the pleasure of me telling them I won it. That would be all.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭pawdee

I'd get a breast reduction, take the missus on holidays, buy a 2007 SsangYong Rodius and give the rest to charity.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

What family!

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Praetorian22

Retire early, let the parents retire, nicer house, 1 nicer car, secure extended family and their children's future, real estate.

Finally I would undoubtedly buy a ginormous site of land acres upon acres, upon acres and turn it into a sanctuary for any unwanted/stray pets.

People can adopt/foster but under no circumstances is any healthy animal getting put down!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭TheBlock

Cina wrote: »
    I'd buy a 2 bed apartment in Dublin and use the fiver left over to buy a pint of Guinness at the local

Must be Happy Hour in the Local...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Which family?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Clear my parents' mortgage, set up some kind of trust for each of my siblings (tax issues aside, wouldn't really trust either of them with a lump sum). My brother's getting chemotherapy at the moment so I'd get him some fancy chemotherapy in a rich person hospital, or just give up every red cent if it meant he wouldn't be sick anymore. Take them all on a mad holiday. My partner's dad works crazy hours and is close to retirement age, would like to sort them out so that he can actually enjoy his retirement since he's worked like an actual fcuking work horse his whole life.

I have some friends who are currently working to get various businesses and community and environmental initiatives off the ground, they'd get some. Few other charities.

And then! Travel travel. Get some ridiculous expensive tattoos in some far flung places. Sure the world would probably end or civilisation will collapse before I could spend it so let's just see how much craic we can wring out of a few million before that happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,059 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I won the lottery last week. I must remember to go in and exchange it for a couple of scratch cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭JustMe,K

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Yeah the British winners are telling all and sundry and I've no idea why. There have been winners in Spain and all over and I couldn't tell you a thing about them.

I heard before that they get more money if they go public, which could be a load of rubbish but nothing surprises me really.

I think I would make some gradual changes before letting anyone in on the idea that I had won money tbh. Neither my parents or his have a mortgage anymore but I would like the parents to be able to retire and enjoy it. Siblings, I would buy houses from and for, and put them on caretaker agreements so they don't ever really own them so don't have a liability issue. Set up a credit card with a parents & siblings as additional users so they dont have to spend their own money. Trusts for the kids but with very specific restrictions. Cousins etc? Couldn't trust them to keep their mouths shut so they would get nothing. Couple of nice lowkey family holidays.

But before all of that I guess I would speak to my offshore tax advisor :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Fun topical trivia: the first and main message from the national lottery in Luxembourg, across all of its PR about €millions, is to maintain anonymity in case of a win.

€130m...even the Mrs wouldn't ever know ;)

Semi-seriously though: no cash hand-outs to anyone, but a corpo structure created (behind oodles of further holdings cos to obfuscate who's behind), with a raft of non-exec appointments (family members, very few close 'quasi-family' friends), each with a moderate annual salary (up to €50-75k say, enough to improve average life substantially, not enough to upend lives/shock the system too hard) and full income tax/social sec contributions for respective health+pension rights. Besides educational trust funds for the younguns. And all to be funded from interests/dividends on invested/sheltered principal.

Get that sorted first, then relax and think about what I'd really like to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

I haven't done the lottery in a decade. Can I buy a ticket online from outside the EU? I fancy some daydreaming.

I can't recall how easy it is to set up an account with lottery.ie, but I don't think you can get it done in one day. There's loads of lotto sites out there that you can sign up to straight away - just beware that there's so many lotteries that look so tempting....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

€130 million?

I'd give €100 million to my parents and keep the rest to spend how I please.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Snails pace

I have a syndicate with my parents, sister and her family. Get the euro millions and irish lotto twice a week. It cost roughly a little under a fiver a week. If i won I'd keep working because I love what I do. I'd go travelling, give money to charity and help out a few friends who are under pressure.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

My aunt won the pools for something like £500k+ in the 1970's which obviously was quite the sum of money in those days. I remember her telling us that it pretty much "ruined" their lives as they knew it. Friends and family either accused them of flashing the cash or being mean...... They literally couldn't win. On top of that people called to their door looking for handouts all hours of the night. She ended up upping sticks and moving in the end.

My mothers cousin then (other side) won something like €12m in the irish lotto in the 00's and played an absolute blinder. Said nothing to a soul, denied everything when rumors started spreading but didn't go so much as on holiday then when it all died down she quietly sold up and moved to the other side of the country to "be near her son". We were far enough away in the family tree that you wouldn't have expected a cup of coffee out of her so I really admired the way they played it. They even published their names in the paper and the husband went around saying he was going to sue for getting the story wrong (obviously they never did and if you google her name the story still pops up).

So with all that being said, I'd learn nothing and tell everyone then look after them for life..... I reckon I would become awfully eccentric though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

I would give 33% to Revenue because that is the tax on gifts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭beejee

I would elongate my nipples miles into the sky like very long whips, locate a plane and then inscribe onto a window the amount I had just won by taking advantage of the temperature differential between my roasting hot nips and freezing altitude.

For starters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

I'd be like the guy from the Bourne Identity movie. Open my phone take out the SIM card break it in half and disappear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

beejee wrote: »
    I would elongate my nipples miles into the sky like very long whips, locate a plane and then inscribe onto a window the amount I had just won by taking advantage of the temperature differential between my roasting hot nips and freezing altitude.

For starters.

If I win it I'm financing this.

My friend had a good idea.
    If I won it I'd wait till the lotto plus 1 or 2 was won and say I won that. half a mill, brought a house, sorted out the kid,brought a new car. Money gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

I'll let you all know tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,898 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Obviously there is a tax on giving money to siblings but rather than putting them down as an equal winner if you had four siblings could you put each of them down ar 5% and say that was their contribution to the"yearly" syndicate?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Obviously there is a tax on giving money to siblings but rather than putting them down as an equal winner if you had four siblings could you put each of them down ar 5% and say that was their contribution to the"yearly" syndicate?

Only equal is allowed. of course there are ways around it

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

How about setting up a company, say a property management company (to manage say 5 rental properties), and making all your family executive directors. Then injecting loads of cash into the business, say 10m, and the company then buys all the stuff like cars/houses, and pays all/most bills, and for holidays etc for each of the directors..

Would that be a way of dodging some tax?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭chooseusername

I would get all family members that I'd want to share it with to sign the back of the winning ticket.
    Then I'd draw up a syndicate ,signed by all, backdated a year or so.

I see it was won in Spain anyway. Bastards. The whole lot of them. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

I see it was won in Spain anyway. Bastards. The whole lot of them. :(

Probably a Brit who won it

• Registered Users Posts: 25,684 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Family would get nothing, they're all either dead or financially comfortable.

Mr O'Bumble wouldn't even get told. Shure he'd just drink it if I gave him any.

I'm become self-employed in a very vague kind of way that no one really understood, but which required several overseas work trips each year, and which left me free to do some charity work while not travelling. And some lucky solicitor or accountant would be kept busy administering the anonymous donations I'd drip free to various charities over time.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,821 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

I'd pay off all their mortgages and other debts. This way they can live more comfortably and instead of paying mortgage can lash it into retirement fund or where ever. I'm not one for just giving someone a huge sum and expect them to cope with it.

Get them all nice cars if they needed or wanted and probably a big family holiday somewhere nice and pampered.

Other than that I'd prolly start investing in things I believed in. Green energy type stuff. And music. Maybe start my own label and record press.
    Start or buy a stake in a micro brewery.

My immediate family would share it 4 ways.
    My father would get nothing.
    I'd look after other family so they would never have to worry about money again.
    & I would give my friends enough so we would all be equal :)

• Advertisement

bubblypop wrote: »
    My immediate family would share it 4 ways.
    My father would get nothing.
    I'd look after other family so they would never have to worry about money again.
    & I would give my friends enough so we would all be equal :)

I wouldn’t be even telling friends never mind giving them money. I’d be limiting sharing the money to close family, aunt/uncles/1st cousins is as far out.

Nearly every poster mentioning giving large amounts to charity? I just don’t get it or maybe I’m just mean. I do wonder how fast they would be handing it over in reality though.

Advertisement