Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Average salary at €47,000

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,173 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

There's no way the average salary is 47,000 a year.
    You'd be lucky to half of that working in retail, warehouses, security etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,095 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

As has been said, over and over, it is the mean earnings for full-time workers.

See here, table 5

https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/er/elca/earningsandlabourcostsannualdata2018/

DellyBelly wrote: »
    Im a bit surprised by that figure. Thought it might be a little higher. Suppose that includes outside cities because if it doesn't I'd say the average wage is closer to 55 - 69 k. Definitely in Dublin anyway

Here is some Dublin data:

https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/ep/p-eaads/earningsanalysisusingadministrativedatasources2018/region/

Median weekly earnings were highest in County Dublin in 2018

Median is 9% higher than State average

Mean = 847 pw

Median = 646 pw

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

That's why it's an average and not everyone works in those roles.

Yes, perhaps.

But you could work in an MNC with much higher earnings.

I am surrounded by hundreds of staff on 80k-100k.

• Advertisement

purifol0 wrote: »

Indeed as Eddie Hobbs pointed out it took the private sector nearly 20 years to catch up with the public sector average salary! Imagine that! In 2000 the avg public sector worker earned as much as the private sector one got in 2018.

You are comparing apples and oranges, it’s a lazy comparison comparing average public sector pay to average private sector pay as it doesn’t take into account that vast array of job types in the private sector of various different skill levels compared to the other public sector where the majority of jobs are highly skilled, require a strong education etc.

If you compared like for like skill and education levels only things would be a lot closer and the private sector would come out on top in a lot of cases as it’s not limited to public sector pay scales.

Also people like teachers, nurses, guards etc are underpaid and deserve every cent they get and more.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

celtic_oz wrote: »
    no need to worry ..when sinn fein get in everyone gets a month back in their rent!

this will be taken from the fat cats on 52%

...who then simply add it to the rent demanded of their properties - so the tenants shoulder it, like they did the LPT.

Gee thanks Sinn Féin - you economics whizzkids you. Whoever voted for them left school way too early.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

MNCs easily pay 80k + salarys in Dublin. They need to in order to attract talent as the place is outrageously expensive to live in. They are all expanding their campuses (linkedIn, FB, Google) yet there is a very inflated rental market stifling supply and raising rent prices. The cost of paying these high salaries pales in comparison to the amount they save on tax by just being located here.

So, if you are on 40k and finding it hard to get by, I suggest upskill and join the MNC gravy train. Anyone can do it if they put their mind to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Geuze wrote: »
    I don't think anybody is saying that the mean earnings for FT workers being 47k is "high or shocking".

It is what it is.

Ireland is a high productivity, high cost country.

What I'm saying is its a low average.

€47,000 isn't a 'fantastic' wage. And I would have thought the average would be €60k ish seeming that most people have gone to college or have degrees/masters.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

€47,000 isn't a 'fantastic' wage. And I would have thought the average would be €60k ish seeming that most people have gone to college or have degrees/masters.

43% are college graduates, hardly most.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,401 ✭✭✭✭kippy

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    MNCs easily pay 80k + salarys in Dublin. They need to in order to attract talent as the place is outrageously expensive to live in. They are all expanding their campuses (linkedIn, FB, Google) yet there is a very inflated rental market stifling supply and raising rent prices. The cost of paying these high salaries pales in comparison to the amount they save on tax by just being located here.

So, if you are on 40k and finding it hard to get by, I suggest upskill and join the MNC gravy train. Anyone can do it if they put their mind to it.

Not true.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭snotboogie

You are comparing apples and oranges, it’s a lazy comparison comparing average public sector pay to average private sector pay as it doesn’t take into account that vast array of job types in the private sector of various different skill levels compared to the other public sector where the majority of jobs are highly skilled, require a strong education etc.

If you compared like for like skill and education levels only things would be a lot closer and the private sector would come out on top in a lot of cases as it’s not limited to public sector pay scales.

Also people like teachers, nurses, guards etc are underpaid and deserve every cent they get and more.

I think that is a very outdated view from the 60's and 70's when there was very little private industry or capital in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

A large part of the problem particularly around Dublin and other major cities is something that is only being worked through by Irish and other wealthy western societies now.

Third level education does not automatically lead to a certain lifestyle and income the way it did in the past. There are people/couple who really should be looking for social housing, yet they are attempting to buy without the income to support a mortgage and there are a fair amount who need some sort of support to get a mortgage.

A lot find that shocking and it feels like a betrayal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

If two thirds of the workforce have a degree it's really not worth anymore than a Leaving cert. Recession saw tens of thousands of people get third level qualifications,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Sure many public servants have f*ck all skills, they sauntered into the P&T years back because daddy got them in and they never left, getting promoted simply because of time served and diddly squat to do with skill, education, experience or merit. Literally getting bumped up on the basis of time served. Some of them still getting a 'productivity allowance" which is essentially a 15% increase on pay compared with others who joined later. Different PRSI class too for some who joined earlier. Then there is the DB pension scheme. For many public servants they just got on the gravy train at the right time. Little or nothing to do with skill.

I worked in the PS for several years, most people I knew didnt have the competence to move a pen from A to B and even if they could, they wouldnt move it without going through the union because it "wasnt in their job description" lol

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

lawred2 wrote: »
    Never happening lads. Even if FG got returned, they'd just forget about this pledge like every other pledge.

Fool me once and all that.

Ironically FG may have more power now they're not the lead party, because they have something to offer the main party (Dail seats).

Hopefully Leo really pushes for a €50k higher rate threshold as the price of going into government.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,824 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Antares35 wrote: »
    I worked in the PS for several years, most people I knew didnt have the competence to move a pen from A to B and even if they could, they wouldnt move it without going through the union because it "wasnt in their job description" lol

I've worked in the PS too. But I can hand on heart say there are more people like that in the Private Sector than the public. Far, far more. I wonder how half of these people manage to dress themselves in the morning, and shur we see the ones that won't and saunter to the shops in the PJ's.

Someone mentioned another posters view was like something from the 60s and 70s. What you describe may have been par for course for a long time, but it's no longer that way. It's still there, but nowhere near as bad as it was.

But I still think it's worse in the private sector. Every job in the private sector I've had, I'd question the abilities of half of the people employed, and nearly all of the people promoted. Cronyism is rife in the private sector.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Hopefully Leo really pushes for a €50k higher rate threshold as the price of going into government.
    I personally don't hold out much hope.. :(

But I still think it's worse in the private sector. Every job in the private sector I've had, I'd question the abilities of half of the people employed, and nearly all of the people promoted. Cronyism is rife in the private sector.
    I think it is more a factor of organisation size than public/private.

I've worked in the PS too. But I can hand on heart say there are more people like that in the Private Sector than the public. Far, far more. I wonder how half of these people manage to dress themselves in the morning, and shur we see the ones that won't and saunter to the shops in the PJ's.

Someone mentioned another posters view was like something from the 60s and 70s. What you describe may have been par for course for a long time, but it's no longer that way. It's still there, but nowhere near as bad as it was.

Hand on heart based on what? Your account is (like mine) anecdotal.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Enter name here

Anyone earning above 60k per annum should be on a flate tax rate of 20%.

We are less of a burden on resources than low income earners.

Anyone under 60k should pay 40% to cover all the additional services and rebates they use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Sure many public servants have f*ck all skills, they sauntered into the P&T years back because daddy got them in and they never left, getting promoted simply because of time served and diddly squat to do with skill, education, experience or merit. Literally getting bumped up on the basis of time served. Some of them still getting a 'productivity allowance" which is essentially a 15% increase on pay compared with others who joined later. Different PRSI class too for some who joined earlier. Then there is the DB pension scheme. For many public servants they just got on the gravy train at the right time. Little or nothing to do with skill.

This whole post is bullshít!

This whole post is bullshít!

Have I hit a nerve? Simply relaying my experience :)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,476 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Anyone earning above 60k per annum should be on a flate tax rate of 20%.

We are less of a burden on resources than low income earners.

Anyone under 60k should pay 40% to cover all the additional services and rebates they use.

Nonsense.

If you were to do this, people under 60k would become even more of a 'burden' as they'd have considerably less money.

How does this solve anything other than making those who are well off even more well off?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,937 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

o1s1n wrote: »
    Nonsense.

If you were to do this, people under 60k would become even more of a 'burden' as they'd have considerably less money.

How does this solve anything other than making those who are well off even more well off?

That's all some people give a shit about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Anyone earning over 80-100k should be taxed at a higher rate

Under that should be 20%

Why? They already pay far more why should they be punished further with an even higher rate of tax for being successful. Its scandalous the way a higher earner is treated like a cash cow, the extra money they earn should be benefitting them and their family not subsidising those who don't work or earn small amounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭PommieBast

It should be a flat rate across the board, starting at €0. No exceptions.

Under that should be 20%

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Why?

We all want the higher rate of tax to kick in at a sensible level of earnings. That level is usually €1 more than we earn...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

It should be rebalanced towards property and asset tax.

Advertisement