Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gp4000 where to buy?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭secman

Cool

Just ordered a pair , cheers for the heads up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Damn, I wanted 23c because they are close in size to the new 25c which is my prefered size.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭rayman1

Thanks. Bought a pair.
    Very surprised they came available as they are no longer being made?
    CRC must have found a few down the back of the store 😉

I'd say that's it. Any still for sale at this stage will have been found hidden in some corner of a warehouse.
    Possibly whenever the company gets around to a stocktake.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Any recommendations for a sport/race tyre similar to GP4Ks but in 23c size? Seems like Conti have moved to 25c/28c across the board with only their cheaper range (Grand Prix) left in 23c anywhere I can see.

I'm looking for genuine sizing as it has to fit under an S5 cutaway seat tube. Might get away with 24c but 25s are out.

• Advertisement

MojoMaker wrote: »
    I'm looking for genuine sizing as it has to fit under an S5 cutaway seat tube. Might get away with 24c but 25s are out.

There's not really such a thing as genuine sizing as the size will depend on the inner width of the wheel.
    The old GP4000 II sizing is way off and based on wheel with much more narrow inner width than modern wheels.

You can get the 23c GP5000 from Chainreaction and wiggle it's considerably more narrow than the 23c GP4000 II

This site has the measured width for many tyres when mounted on a wheel with 17c inner width.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭Bambaata

I've had similar issue with clearance and had to use 23 on my Supersix HMs. I've gone for a 25 in the 5000 and will be putting to the test this weekend!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Thanks for the heads up on the GP4000s. Ordered a pair. The 5000 are all out race tyres that don't hold up as well on our roads. Time will tell if they're as popular as the 4000s.

Anyone running 23c GP5Ks anywhere? Care to share any feedback? While I need something narrower for a certain bike, I'm not mad keen about stepping down from 25s just for one frame.

The newer 25s might be ok if they're genuinely narrower than the 4Ks. Interested to know how you get on Bambaata.

Anyone running 23c GP5Ks anywhere? Care to share any feedback? While I need something narrower for a certain bike, I'm not mad keen about stepping down from 25s just for one frame.

The newer 25s might be ok if they're genuinely narrower than the 4Ks. Interested to know how you get on Bambaata.

Sorry I forgot my link on the previous post here is how the gp4000 compares to the gp5000 on a 17 inner rim.

https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/specials/conti-gp4000s-ii-23-25-28
    https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/specials/grand-prix-5000-comparison

• Advertisement

Thanks Tuxy, looks like 5Ks are 1mm narrower and 1mm lower than the same size in 4Ks - good to know.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Really depends on the wheels you use as well, my old wheelset and my track wheels, the 4000 25s were just shy of 28s, the 5000 were a smidgen narrower. In my opinion, based solely on the wheels I have, the 5000 25s were about the same as the 4000 23s.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Anyone running 23c GP5Ks anywhere? Care to share any feedback?

1000km done. They're behaving fine, no noticeable difference. They felt a little grippier than the 4000 at first, but I don't really notice any difference now. Rough enough roads so would expect to notice if they were falling apart.

Will update the thread when I have them worn out, but could be another month or two yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Whilst i havent been on the road yet im so confident that the 5000 25 is fine with my cannondale ive already gone and bought a 28 to fit on the front. I had used 25/23 combo on the cannondale but the 25 fit now on a zipp 404 looks identical to what the 4000 23 looked like. Loads of clearance! Ill report back after racing on it this weekend anyway but i dont expect issues for me anyway (will depend on wheel a bit too)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

CramCycle wrote: »
    I got one the other day, at least one voucher a year, either birthday or Christmas

Belated Happy Birthday

• Registered Users Posts: 7,217 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I was in a Decathlon in France earlier and they had GP4000 28mm for 20€. Run tubeless on all of my bikes but picked up a pair for a bike I leave in my parents house, still on stock Conti Ultrasport so that should be a nice upgrade. They had about 10 of them left on the shelf

Maybe worth checking the Irish store or online

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,494 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Certainly don't recall seeing them in Dublin. I assume it was just old stock the place in France had, which the Dublin store won't be getting in.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Takca

I noticed a tear in the sidewall of my gp 5000s last night after less then 500km :-(

I know it could happen any tire and I've ordered a new one but I'm now wanting my gp 4000S back, only place I could find them is on aliexpress (25mm width),
    has anybody tried them?
    are the the real deal?
    did you get stung for much on customs?

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭devonp

my rear Gp4000 has a distinct flat/line track on the contact part visible,

the wear indicators are now oval rather than round...the tyre must be 3 yrs old prob 5-7k kms on it.....danergous or just end of the line ?

always been happy with these ..just get the Gp5000's to replace ?

any other recommendations ?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Takca wrote: »
    I noticed a tear in the sidewall of my gp 5000s last night after less then 500km :-(
    I had the same happen to a 4000S after pumping up, I assume a manufacturing fault as there wasn't even a query, they just replaced them and several comments on the site I bought them from that it has happened, so possibly a lot/batch issue.
    I know it could happen any tire and I've ordered a new one but I'm now wanting my gp 4000S back, only place I could find them is on aliexpress (25mm width),
    has anybody tried them?
    are the the real deal?
    No way ot know with AliExpress
    did you get stung for much on customs?
    I wouldn't say stung, those are the taxes you pay, it is very unlikely that items over a certain amount will get through although tyres might. Worse case scenario An Post mail you what the charge is from Revenue and you pay it before collection.

• Advertisement
Advertisement