Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dash cam, what to get and where to get it - vol. 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Mick Regan

Damien360 wrote: »
    Wouldn’t be bothered with stickers. Cameras are plain to see. Gardai regularly request dash cam footage for accidents. They don’t see an issue with them. I have hardwired my nextbase one for front and back. Not hidden in any way.

Yep, I think I'd go along with you as far as the Gardai are concerned. It was statements like this one from dataprotection.ie, and this in the Irish Times that got me thinking about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Damien360

Mick Regan wrote: »
    Yep, I think I'd go along with you as far as the Gardai are concerned. It was statements like this one from dataprotection.ie, and this in the Irish Times that got me thinking about it.

Irish times one is silly. Data protection one states European case law. For that reason my nextbase has an option with a maximum amount of time that data can be stored and it’s just a few minutes long. I ignore that and the manual references France for this reason. The French have a right to privacy enforced on dashcams. Lord knows how it’s enforced. My nextbase is in 3 minute segments but records hours of footage (12 I think) and loops once full. I don’t bother posting footage and pretty much forget about it until the day I actually need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Mick Regan

Damien360 wrote: »
    I don’t bother posting footage and pretty much forget about it until the day I actually need it.

Same approach here, I think I might try a smallish sticker in the rear window though anyway - curious to see if it encourages tailgaters to pull back a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,499 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

It may encourage scumbags to smash the window and steal cameras. Just saying. ;)

Not sure what thread to post this in, but I guarantee if I start a new thread it'll end up being merged into some existing thread..... Even though this one hasn't seen any action in 3 months and the search function is beyond useless.....

Anyway, since the latest update to the blackvue dashcam app, I can't connect to the camera and download recordings or use live view. It won't allow me to connect to the camera at all. When I try to add the camera to the app, it finds it initially and fills in the SSID field, then asks for the password.

Then when I enter the password, it searches for a second and says "no devices found, please make sure they're switched on and discoverable"......even though it literally just found the camera and auto-filled the SSID field. If I try again, I get a different error along the lines of 'the app has chosen to abandon the attempt to connect'.

I've tried resetting the WiFi settings on the camera, reset the SSID and password successfully, but still nothing. Deleted and reinstalled the app, same errors. It looks like I'm not the only one, according to the Play store reviews. This feature is the primary reason I chose this camera.

Has anyone encountered this error and managed to get a workaround?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Craig_David

Hi

Looking to get a front facing camera and seeking some modern recommendations. I also have a few questions.

The Garmin Dash Cam Mini 2 seems to have some good reviews and the ability to live view (which could be useful as there have been some vandalism to cars of late where I live). The live view obviously requires an active wifi connection but what are the options for setting up a wifi connection in your car? I could leave an old phone in the car and enable a hotspot, but surely the battery would die in no time?

Couple of other questions... For the dashcams with parking protection, is it essential to have the camera hard wired(Unsure if hard wired is the correct terminology but I mean whereby they wire it in a way that its always receiving power, even when the engine is off) or would the built in charge be enough for the night? And lastly, does the 60 euro charge by Halfords for hardwiring include the costs of the wiring etc or are there other materials and costs?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,628 ✭✭✭corks finest

I’d stay well away from Halfords and save money and support local businesses

ref parking protection it’s wired directly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Jacovs

Whats the go-to dashcam these days? Back in 2018 I bought a YI 1080p Wifi from Amazon for 39 pounds. It still works without a fault, but looking for something a bit better now.

Vehicle I drive has limited rear visibility so not sure if its worth paying more for the added feature.

Any suggestions? Hard to know between all the brands available on amazon.

Unregistered Users

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Movie Maestro

Hey all,

I'm looking for opinions please on which of these two dual dashcam setups is better.  I will be using a hard wired kit. It would be great to get some feedback on people's experience of using these models thanks!  Even the brand comparision would be useful.

VIOFO A129 Plus Duo

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08DV5MQ1C/?coliid=I2JTXOSO0HRIFK&colid=398A5ZNIQ7LJB&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

VS

Nextbase 322GW

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07ZJHK5BM/?coliid=I2BO60GEQ6GJ97&colid=398A5ZNIQ7LJB&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it&th=1

I'm leaning towards the Viofo because of it's discreet design. The rear Netbase camera looks a bit crap too!  Both seem to have positive reviews.

All feedback appreciated thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭bladespin

Any opinions on the current crop of dual cams particularly? I've an old YI dashcam I bough back in 2018 and it's been brilliant.

Unregistered Users

Cannot say which one's better, had no hands on nextbase. Ms jou has A129 installed, works 100%, excellent picture quality day and night.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Movie Maestro

Cheers for the feedback joujoujou!

Unregistered Users

You're welcome. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I watched a load of YT vids testing Dashcams, apparently Viofo are using an upgraded version of some chip that others haven't yet started to use and their picture quality is better as a result.

I'm in the market for a duo set myself and the 119 or 129 duo are on my shortlist.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭Inviere

Hi all,

I'll be fitting a Viofo hardwiring kit to a family members 07 Fiesta over the weekend. The kit wants to be fed power from both acc live, and a permanent live....i have x2 of those fuse piggy back adapters/add a circuit things to use for both lives, but I'm just a little unsure which circuits to join into....are there recommended circuits I should tap into?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭Inviere

Just to follow up on this, I wired the kit (Viofo A119 Mini & HK4 wiring kit) as it expected to be wired (x1 permanent live, and x1 switched/ignition live.) I found that the camera just wouldn't turn off with ignition off/keys removed, even after ~30 mins it was sitting there recording. All settings via the app were set to turn 'parking mode - off', and weirdly no option to disable motion detection in the app either...a bit of a head scratcher really. The voltage cut off box was set to its highest (12.4v), and measuring the battery showed 12.2v, so that wasn't being respected either.

In the end, I changed the permanent live to another switched/acc live, and the camera works as desired by the owner now (on with ignition, off otherwise...and no parking mode active.)

• Moderators Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Is there a vol 3 of this, or can we keep going on this thread? My dash camera died on me. It was a YI Compact Dash Cam I got 4-5 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,628 ✭✭✭corks finest

Keep going I reckon as like me changed cars and let my old dash cam in my old car as it was connected to my unit and was afraid to wreck both if I whipped out wires etc

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,204 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I upgraded to a Nextbase 522GW base a while ago to have better picture. All going well until the warm weather meant it simply falls off the adhesive pad and is thus unusable. Frustrating as someone damaged the car recently and this cam has parking mode. Unfortunately, I've no footage due to the camera adhesive issue. Tried electrical tape to hold it, that doesn't last. Got onto Nextbase who sent me a link to a spare part on the UK site which then didn't appear on the Irish site, so they offered to post me one free of charge. There was no suction cup in the box. Back to the old camera for the moment.

Post edited by The Black Oil on

• Advertisement
    Unregistered Users

Suction cup may fall off as well - from my own experience.

Look for 3M branded foam VHB (very high bond) tape - probably the best one available on the market. Both windscreen and camera's base must be very well cleaned, obviously. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭jonnreeks

Hi,

I have the Next Base 333GW Dash Cam front & rear model installed for awhile now and it is a really good product, simple to install, great coverage.

The only downside was the sd card that came with the package was only 32GB and you will need at least 128GB for consistent recording.

Hope this helps 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭pah

Very happy with my 70Mai A800S Hardwired front and back with parking mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭brokenbad

Picked up one of these a year ago - nice and subtle and handy enough to fit. Just needs a microSD card to transfer video to laptop.

Garmin Dash Cam™ Mini 2 | Dash Cam

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Gru

Hi i have/had the YI compact Dash cam for the last 5 years until recently it's died and it has been too useful to not replace it, but i also don't want to spend more than i did on it, (about €50 or thereabouts) would like to keep the same features, i tried finding the same Yi one again but it's long gone it seems.

can anyone here recommend as it was on boards i got the recommendation for the Yi and it has been amazing?

Unregistered Users

It will be very hard to find similar one with similar price, considering inflation and chip shortage.

Take a look here: https://www.viofo.nl/en/collections/viofo-dashcams

or here: https://www.techpunt.nl/en/dashcams/

Edit: saw a few YI on aliexpress, but I'm aware Chinese guys are faking themselves, so unsure if you'd get real YI or a knockoff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭mondeo

My yi dash cam I have had for maybe 6 years now has packed it in. Any good budget options out there these days ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭mondeo

Nextbase 322, looking at one of these for €129 in a high street store. Seems to be the best price I can get it at. It has GPS, wifi, Bluetooth, parking mode.

Anything better then this for 129 before I buy this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

Any recommendations on someone who will do a good job at fitting Front + Rear cams in Dublin/Wicklow? most places I've found will only fit the ones they sell themselves and the markup is crazy on top of a fit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Is it best to have a mechanic do this or somebody who has played around with cars, @jonnreeks? 😂

Advertisement