Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4k Fire TV stick - PLEASE READ OP BEFORE ASKING QUESTIONS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Troy McClure

Folks can someone tell me how to get the BBC iplayer working ? I though I seen it on here somewhere but can't find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,881 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Folks can someone tell me how to get the BBC iplayer working ? I though I seen it on here somewhere but can't find it.

VPN or smart DNS is required as far as I remember

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Cerco

Enter BBC in the search bar at the top of this thread and you will find the references to the BBC player. There have been varying degrees of success. As above vpn or smart dns.
    I had it on surfshark for one hour but, lost it and unable to retrieve it. So good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭jkbah

How are you guys ordering from Amazon. Tried to order there and wouldn't pay to ROI. It's for my mum. I have UK address I can send things to but she's in ROI

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Jofspring

jkbah wrote: »
    How are you guys ordering from Amazon. Tried to order there and wouldn't pay to ROI. It's for my mum. I have UK address I can send things to but she's in ROI

Parcel Motel for delivery. Used revolut to pay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭puddles22

Can anyone recommend apps for the Fire Stick? I have Netflix, and youtube, but agree with a poster there that said Amazon Prime video is not great, so don't have that one. Are there any other ones that are worth getting? Thanks.
    pm me and i'll tell you how to set them up for access to all the tv shows and movies for free

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭The Mulk

puddles22 wrote: »
    pm me and i'll tell you how to set them up for access to all the tv shows and movies for free

I'll PM you to if you don't mind, something to keep me busy

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭raytaxi

Would it be ok to pm you about this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,964 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Folks, anyone having issues with this the last few days? YouTube isn't working for me, nor will it load my photos as a screensaver. Everything else works fine.

Sorted, I think ExpressVPN was causing the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,506 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

TheDriver wrote: »
    You need last may version from apk and mouse toggle. Works grand if you know what you want to watch, not great for browsing.
    Version 1.01 works OK without mouse toggle, browsing's fine as well. :)

And no ads! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,822 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

Folks, anyone having issues with this the last few days? YouTube isn't working for me, nor will it load my photos as a screensaver. Everything else works fine.

Sorted, I think ExpressVPN was causing the issue.

that's interesting...torn between that and another vpn
    may have to avoid that one now

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Poolboy19

Open Firefox browser after starting uk VPN, search for BBC iPlayer in Firefox, login and it should work. Has been for me a while, a bit of a pain compared to opening the iPlayer app but needs must..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

It's 29.99 now on Amazon again. That £5 offer might still work too for some people?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,964 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

mailburner wrote: »
    that's interesting...torn between that and another vpn
    may have to avoid that one now

It does seem to cause one or two issues periodically but when you turn it off and back on, everything works as it should.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭freebee23

Hi puddles 22, would you mind if I sent you a pm about this. Cheers, freebee23

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Troy McClure

Poolboy19 wrote: »
    Open Firefox browser after starting uk VPN, search for BBC iPlayer in Firefox, login and it should work. Has been for me a while, a bit of a pain compared to opening the iPlayer app but needs must..

Are you plugging the firestick into your laptop to get it working on your TV?. Am afraid I need more info...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Are you plugging the firestick into your laptop to get it working on your TV?. Am afraid I need more info...

Download Firefox on the Firestick from the app store and do it that way.

I think if you switch your VPN to UK you can get BBC iPlayer from the Amazon app store anyway and just use it that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,546 ✭✭✭Zardoz

I have a first generation Fire Stick with Fire Starter installed which I rarely used and havent used in years as I didn't like the interface or performance.
    Would the 4k Fire Stick be a big improvement on that ?

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭puddles22

Zardoz wrote: »
    I have a first generation Fire Stick with Fire Starter installed which I rarely used and havent used in years as I didn't like the interface or performance.
    Would the 4k Fire Stick be a big improvement on that ?
    night and day difference in terms of performance

• Registered Users Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Getting mine via Parcel Motel today.
    I'll go through this & other threads but anyone have a summary of getting started besides the obvious please?
    I've never used VPN, any advice on that as well please?

Thanks in advance,
    Pa.

• Advertisement

dinneenp wrote: »
    Getting mine via Parcel Motel today.
    I'll go through this & other threads but anyone have a summary of getting started besides the obvious please?
    I've never used VPN, any advice on that as well please?

Thanks in advance,
    Pa.

What are you looking to use the firestick for?

VPN or Smart DNS are only required for iplayer & such. They are not required for prime video UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    What are you looking to use the firestick for?

VPN or Smart DNS are only required for iplayer & such. They are not required for prime video UK.

Plan to use it for watching Disney+, sports (when back), Netflix, films etc.
    The only reason I mentioned VPN was someone mentioned recently that you can then use BBC iplayer and similar. Presuming that allows you to watch/catchup on shows that have already been on sounds good.

I'm with Eir (mobile & broadband) so have the free Amazon Prime for a year. Can I watch through the Firestick or still need to cast via my phone?

dinneenp wrote:
    I'm with Eir (mobile & broadband) so have the free Amazon Prime for a year. Can I watch through the Firestick or still need to cast via my phone?

You should be able to use Firestick. It has the prime video app so Irish or UK prime video will work.

Getflix DNS is probably the best & cheapest option for iplayer

• Registered Users Posts: 8,858 ✭✭✭Soarer

dinneenp wrote: »
    Plan to use it for watching Disney+, sports (when back), Netflix, films etc.
    The only reason I mentioned VPN was someone mentioned recently that you can then use BBC iplayer and similar. Presuming that allows you to watch/catchup on shows that have already been on sounds good.

Youdon't need a VPN for any of that. Just download the relevant apps, login as normal, and away you go.

VPN will be required for BBC iPlayer.

Prime through Eir might be a problem. Don't know if you can get the UK version of Prime through Eir.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭urranger

Hi. Just bought one of these.
    Do the apps come pre loaded on the stick or do I have to install them?
    Specifically, Netflix Spotify youtube etc

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭stwome01

Just got one of these. It works great. However I have a number of months of nowtv passes. Has anyone been able to use nowtv with the firestick?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

urranger wrote: »
    Hi. Just bought one of these.
    Do the apps come pre loaded on the stick or do I have to install them?
    Specifically, Netflix Spotify youtube etc

Most are preloaded, just log in.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Breaston Plants

Would anyone who has got this recomend the device to be hardwired to the router or does it work well without having to do that?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 13,506 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

It's highly recommended that only portable equipment (like laptops, phones, tablets) should be using wi-fi. All the rest wired. So, in brief, yes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Breaston Plants

And could anyone recommend a lead to hardwire this device?
    Thanks

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement