Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disciplinary Meeting

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 FebruarySquall

Sigh....

The point here should not be about the contents of the review and what happened to me but rather the company itself not following their own standard disciplinary procedures setting up said meeting.

By the sounds of things, you and your company would do the same. I’m sure it must be a great place to work then.

Look, there no need to be down beat about it. And I would not judge your situation - these things do vary from sector to sector. In a survey that I conducted, over 90pc said that I was the greatest leader they have ever worked for. I survey them periodically, and will seek feedback from those who respond negatively. Usually, the problem is them.

My process is published on the factor floor - Rule 1 the boss is always right; Rule 2 - If the boss is wrong, follow Rule 1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Look, there no need to be down beat about it. And I would not judge your situation - these things do vary from sector to sector. In a survey that I conducted, over 90pc said that I was the greatest leader they have ever worked for. I survey them periodically, and will seek feedback from those who respond negatively. Usually, the problem is them.

My process is published on the factor floor - Rule 1 the boss is always right; Rule 2 - If the boss is wrong, follow Rule 1.

I think I know who you are...

YXD2ZSL4XU5SHHQGKW5V73PSKA.jpg&w=767

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

A very interesting post, and I assure you I am not in anyway attempting to stoke controversy. Actually, some countries have banned out of hours email - France I believe - and their economy is going great, isn't it?

I'll give you a few examples of how it works. I run an medium sized engineering firm and we have our own premises. It is an old building, and in the winter the windows in left in a draught in the upper floors where offices and management is located. Of course, the usual whingers complained, but I was impressed by one fellow. Instead of complaining he offered to come in on the weekend and seal the gaps in the windows. Now, when I am assessing somebody for management potential, who do you think I call? The whingers who didn't show initiative, or the fellow who fixed the problem.

Now, I don't fix things - I tell my people bring me solutions and not problems. I bring in a lot of fellows on short term contracts and tell them that it is the % after the 100% that determine whether they will be retained.

Now the fellow or lassie that was concerned about out of hours emails and such matters I say this - what gets you ahead is what you do above and beyond what you are paid to do. When I see a fellow working late or in the morning early, I see management potential.

You really expect your staff to fix the windows of your unfitted-for-work office? People are expected to bring solutions to problems they are paid for to resolve

edit: I just realized you joined today and you are trolling... nevermind then
    edit 2: you started another thread earlier today that was locked my the MOD for your trolling, the question now is: what was your previous nickname before getting banned? :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,050 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I'd say the only work problem FS has is actually getting a job.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 FebruarySquall

Esel wrote: »
    I'd say the only work problem FS has is actually getting a job.

Not at all. I have run my own company for over 50 years

I do not spent all my time on the internet talking shoit, as signified by 18k+ posts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Fairly sure you will have to at a minimum tell the other parties you want to do this and they will have to agree, otherwise you could be on shaky ground if it came out afterwards

Happened to me about 12 years ago. Was basically bullied out of a job, but went through a few stressful disciplinary meetings (on made up issues) which were minuted by the employer. The minutes were always skewed and my phone allowed me go accurately correct misleading matters that were on the minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

Not at all. I have run my own company for over 50 years

I do not spent all my time on the internet talking shoit, as signified by 18k+ posts

You only signed up today and have already trolled 2 threads (one was locked by the mod), that's quite an achievement for someone who doesn't spend the whole day on the internet ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,050 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Banned now anyway. I'm sure they will be back again soon...

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Skyrimaddict

I am guessing you either work in HR or are a Manager (or both) since you seem more consumed with issues related to me rather than a company not following their own standard procedures. Which is the kernel of this thread.

Disciplinary and Performance relates issues.

Long story short, I had worked in the company a year and manager that hired me moved on. New manager joined from outside the company. She and I got on fine on a personal level for about a month, then problems started. Loaded work onto me that was outside scope of my job to which I struggle with. Set unrealistic expectations for me which I struggled with. That was the Performance side.

Disciplinary side was not turning up to a presentation with one of the directors. This meeting had been arranged for a Thursday and changed to a Tuesday morning on...Tuesday morning. Which would have been fine but I had a dental appointment, of which was known about by my manager, that morning.

Apparently I should have changed this and gone into work. Since I did not have email on my phone, not a prerequisite for my role at the time, I was not aware of the change until after the dental appointment. But apparently I should have had.

This was the Disciplinary aspect.

Anything else you'd like to know so you can exonerate the company from not following their own embedded HR processes?

You see, there is the part I find a problem with, and hence why I asked what the issue was.

Fair point, I do agree that if a company has a policy they must follow it. But from all your posts you made it sound that right away you were not playing ball also.
    From what you described you would have actually had some leverage, if you had been doing the job well for a year under a different manager.
    The discipline part, to be fair unless your contact or job spec specifically says you need access to emails at all times you also would have been covered, a presentation can't be moved on you where you have pre- made yourself not available.

Your posts suggest you took the immediate attitude of "screw this and screw you all " and refused to play ball only to spite and drag a process. Oddly enough, a third party investigation would most likely have gone in your favor......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Heat_Wave

Jim2007 wrote: »
    Or the company may have decided that they don't care about the costs and need to get the employee out...

Just wondering what you mean by “costs” here? Surely employees in Ireland are covered under certain employment laws such as the Unfair Dismissal Act and Equality Act?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Heat_Wave wrote: »
    Just wondering what you mean by “costs” here? Surely employees in Ireland are covered under certain employment laws such as the Unfair Dismissal Act and Equality Act?

They would be the costs.... whatever the have to pay in fees, penalties etc...

Advertisement