Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boardsies Best Song of the 60s

Options
  • 02-02-2020 9:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Following on from the best song of the 70s, 80s, 90s and current Noughties competition, here is the sign up for the best song of the 60s.

Do you like rock and roll, surf, motown or folk music? Do you remember the Summer of Love?:P

You can submit 10 songs from 1960 - 1969 to me by PM.

The songs must have been released in Ireland, UK, or USA. I'm going to allow album tracks in this competition/songs that were released as singles but didn't chart, once they were a 60s release.

I'll be taking nominations for 5 or 6 days at least.

Once nominations are in, we will go with the knock out format of the last few threads.

Let the games commence!! :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Will get a list together either tonight (probably the wee hours of the morning) or at some stage tomorrow and get it to you. Huzzah!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Submitted. How do you all feel about Johnny Cash :pac:

Necro wrote: »

Please tell me you haven't just submitted 10 Johnny Cash songs... :(

giphy.gif

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Maybe.... :P

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,284 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Well I've got him on my already rather long (and about to get longer) shortlist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

I just sent mine in.
    Not a huge fan or very familiar with the 60's so my selections are a bit. . . basic???:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭trashcan

The correct answer to this is Waterloo Sunset by the Kinks. There, I've just saved you all the bother :cool:

I feel the '60s is often overlooked by people who think everything was just Elvis and The Beatles, but it has so so many iconic classics. This is by far the hardest list to narrow down. Well over a hundred songs already that I'd love to nominate and I'm still on a trip down memory lane just adding more and more.

My self imposed one track per artist rule is the only thing helping me keep any sort of order. I've nothing on tomorrow though, so gonna take my sweet time with this tonight and just get lost in the music.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,284 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Deja Boo wrote: »
    Did they even write songs in the 60's? Were they all as sadly suicidal as the 70's? (must google - again!)

tenor.gif

• The chart rule is unfortunate but I'll throw in a couple of nominations.

• Advertisement

Entries submitted, was hard to get it down to 10.

I’m having a great morning doing my research listening to all these songs.

Could I ask one favour though? If others don’t agree then chime in -

Could the votes not count until at least the duration of all the songs in a matches post has passed? For the qualifying round at least. Lots of times in these comps the reason given is they hadn’t heard of the other song but if they listened to it, they might prefer it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

Could the votes not count until at least the duration of all the songs in a matches post has passed? For the qualifying round at least. Lots of times in these comps the reason given is they hadn’t heard of the other song but if they listened to it, they might prefer it!

tbh, you shouldn't be voting until you have heard both songs and can decide between them, anything else is just messing.

I know. I’ve been listening to all tracks and by the time I’m done, the match has been decided.

I know. I’ve been listening to all tracks and by the time I’m done, the match has been decided.

Could always just slow the pace down and do it match by match. Tougher on the game runner though tbh, well maybe not tougher but would take longer.

Could always just slow the pace down and do it match by match. Tougher on the game runner though tbh, well maybe not tougher but would take longer.

That’s why I thought having a no votes counted until rule might be good. If there’s 18 minutes worth of music in a post then votes don’t count till 20 after that time. You could canvass for a track in the meantime to keep the thread busy.

Entry sent and I’ve gone with a theme this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,842 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Got my noms in, no overthinking!

I definitely agree with the principle. If your reason is "I don't know the other one" you shouldn't vote*

*see also, everyone who voted against Utopia in the TV Shows contest :p

Got my noms in, no overthinking!

I definitely agree with the principle. If your reason is "I don't know the other one" you shouldn't vote*

*see also, everyone who voted against Utopia in the TV Shows contest :p

There was a TV contest? Oh no, I would've liked to have taken part in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,842 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

It reminded me of The X-Files, in that you could Trust No One

• Advertisement

I think you'd have been horrified tbh LeVar, Father Ted won :pac:

It reminded me of The X-Files, in that you could Trust No One

I can trust no one on these greatest song contests either, every time I think someone will potentially have my back on a vote they turn around and stab me in the front.

I mean the 2 finalists in the '90s comp were both my nominations, so I'm probably being a tad dramatic, but some of the votes make me want to flip a table. ;)

I think you'd have been horrified tbh LeVar, Father Ted won :pac:

Look Father Ted is a fine show, but has no business winning a greatest TV show of all-time competition...

Like had people not seen The Wire or Seinfeld or The Sopranos or Bojack Horseman or Breaking Bad or Fawlty Towers or Freaks & Geeks or Only Fools & Horses or the other dozens of shows that would be worthier of such a title...

You're right Necro, I am horrified!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

Look Father Ted is a fine show, but has no business winning a greatest TV show of all-time competition...

Like had people not seen The Wire or Seinfeld or The Sopranos or Bojack Horseman or Breaking Bad or Fawlty Towers or Freaks & Geeks or Only Fools & Horses or the other dozens of shows that would be worthier of such a title...

You're right Necro, I am horrified!!! :D

sesame street done quite well.

Oh god... don't read the thread. Just don't do it. Only Fools and Horses got knocked out by Absolutely Fabulous:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,641 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Done! and ten is not half enough. What a decade for songs.

Oh god... don't read the thread. Just don't do it. Only Fools and Horses got knocked out by Absolutely Fabulous:pac:

Jesus wept...

Not gonna go anywhere near it - my blood pressure would probably go through the roof.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

The chart rule is unfortunate but I'll throw in a couple of nominations.

No you can submit a song that didn't have major chart success. I've updated the rules for this thread.

The way I see it, if the song is good enough it will go far, and if not it will get knocked out.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

sKeith wrote: »
    tbh, you shouldn't be voting until you have heard both songs and can decide between them, anything else is just messing.

Well a lot of songs are well known so a person doesn't have to listen to all the songs to make a choice, and as Necro said if i was to do it match by match it would take forever, particularly if I put a time limit on each match before voting counts, it would take forever to do one match at a time. I could put in a rule where no votes can be cast until the set of matches are up for five minutes. I presume people will have heard of some of the songs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,839 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

My favourite music decade, will send my list in a few hours

Advertisement