Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solar PV Performance Thread - Post your monthly output

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Gazzler82

Sept21

148.6kwh produced

Best 7th 12.2kwh

worst 5th 1.5kwh

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,245 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

That's interesting, thank you. They are, indeed, totally black panels (REC Alpha Black 360s). And they do, indeed, look "aesthetically pleasing". Doesn't bode well for when we get a really hot summer. That said, they face the front of the house, and I probably would have picked the same regardless.

Had a couple of days towards the end of Sept where generation (blue) exceeded consumption (red), which probably helped the net import lower a bit. 11.5kW system.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Doesn't bode well for when we get a really hot summer.

Time to invest in some more panels :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

I think this proves Ireland is a good location for solar, not to hot not to cold.

No more room on the roof, really. Anything facing vaguely South is either tapped out, or would require that trees be cut down. In any case, we generate enough to cover pretty much all our needs for most of the year anyway, it wouldn't make sense for us to add more just for a few months.

It may be, but that doesn't necessarily prove it. For me it's the summer months which are the inadequate ones for production to meet consumption due to the massive air conditioning demands. I suspect that the reverse may be true in Ireland, sufficient sun that if one installs what one requires to cover summer needs, the other end of the year might be far less productive in terms of demand/supply ratios.

• Advertisement

Don't know the layout of your house of course, but if summer is your main pain point, and you have any east/west roof space, you'll get ~80% of the south production on those. Slope angles notwithstanding of course. Very feasible to put panels on them. My own in Dublin is an East/west split.

Even north would give "some" production in summer months. Can't say if north would be worthwhile but east/west may actually be helpful in cooling the house early morning/evening time. Have a chat with an installer. They'd run the numbers for you, or one of the websites. Course if you've no east/west roof space......

I can put at least 3kW of panels on the West side (technically WNW), but I don't see the point. It's a lot of excess capacity for most of the year, wasted dollars going to no use which would not earn themselves back by the Summer months only. My install is for economic, not environmental or self sufficiency requirements.

Yeah, you'd know your numbers better than me. You've an interesting problems there Manic.

Still panels are what $200-300 USD and since you already have all the existing kit (inverters/batteries) you'd only be paying for the panels, and install of course. You may find that your AC consumption rate alone in the summer months would justify the expense and pay for itself. Maybe a 5-6 year payback? Dunno.

You'd have to run the numbers as I don't know your leccie unit rate, the shortage you have on your generation verses consumption, how much you would get out of the NWN panels - but I'd be optimistic even for the summer months, but maybe I'm wrong. I have been before :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,074 ✭✭✭championc

Can we leave this thread for monthly output posts.

There are other discussion focused threads

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭mp3guy

16kWp DC / 11kWp AC: 5.76kWp SSW, 4.48kWp ESE and 5.76kWp WNW all 45 degree pitch in Cork with 18.9kWh battery.

South: 395.92kWh
    East/West: 630.65kWh
    PV Total: 1026.57kWh
    Best Day: 7th (65.45kWh)
    Worst Day: 8th (12.92kWh)

Grid Export: 268.63kWh
    Grid Import: 147.58kWh
    Surplus Energy: 121.05kWh

CO2 Saved: 460.61kg

House/Car/Water Usage: 902.41kWh

Another month of busted myenergi logging.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

I got my first full bill for Aug /Sept/oct

Last year I used 946 units(24 hr rate) This year 627 spit between 291 day /396 night.

Even with a 40% increase in day rates I saved 50euro.

3.24kw facing west

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭raytaxi

Septembers 162.5kW 2.5 system north east facing

Best day 14/9 10kW worst 30/9 2.4Kw

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Pieterblurb

I am just getting to know the Solis inverter and app, installed 2 days ago. What is the definition of the 'Self Use Rate'?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Self Use Rate, the amount of PV you generate that you use yourself and don't export e.g. you generate 10kW today and use 6kW in the home and export 4kW to the Grid, your Self Use Rate will be 60%

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭jkforde

this is bloody amazing, end of October and hot water is max., 2.4kW battery full and EV fully charged and everything washed! and still exporting surplus! 🤣

.. those with 1+yr experience, can we expect same performance at end of February, or is irradiance generally lower? (isn't there some sort of solar orbit asymmetry?!)

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭yankinlk

Yeah today at 2pm... I had a full battery and 2Kw pouring in from the glorious sunshine. I grabbed the electric chainsaw and put on the washer. i refuse to give anything back to the grid!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭yankinlk

How do u enable all those check marks... I only see power

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭mp3guy

16kWp DC / 11kWp AC: 5.76kWp SSW, 4.48kWp ESE and 5.76kWp WNW all 45 degree pitch in Cork with 18.9kWh battery.

South: 378.68kWh
    East/West: 483.13kWh
    PV Total: 861.81kWh
    Best Day: 1st (54.80kWh)
    Worst Day: 27th (1.88kWh)

Grid Export: 248.13kWh
    Grid Import: 316.70kWh
    Surplus Energy: -68.57kWh

CO2 Saved: 333.79kg

House Usage: 779.39kWh
    Car Usage: 99.53kWh
    Water Usage: 51.46kWh

Looks like midway through October is when I no longer produce more than I need on a monthly basis. Annually though I'm in the clear, a lot of excess over the Summer. 

Oct Total 338.9kw

Best day 1st 29.6kw

Worst day 27th 1kw

Imported 158.8kw (nearly all on night rate)

Exported 60.6kw

Consumed 441.2kw

Water diverter 59.3kw

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,114 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

4.78kWp array facing south, Dublin.

Total generation 313kWh

Best day 21.2kWh (1st Oct)

Worst day 2kWh (27th Oct)

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭okmqaz42

2.76kw on a south facing roof. My first whole month. Need to get used to trying to use the oven in the middle of the day!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭John.G

Interesting, I have a very modest solar thermal install (2XF.Plate) which has performed just as expected over the past 11 years, the system measures its daily&summated output in kwh and I take the daily radiation from Met eireann to calculate its efficiency.

Does the following calc seem reasonable?.

you have 3KWp so this gives a area panel area of 15M2 (assuming 5M2/kw)

September total solar radiation for Cork, was 84.74Kwh so total absorbed kwh, 15*84.74, 1271kwh. Produced 148.6kwh, panel efficiency, 148.6/1272, 11.7%.

For anyone interested I get the info here from yesterdays weather (Met Eireann), multiply the Global radiation X 0.002777 to convert J/CM2 to kwh/M2.

https://www.met.ie/latest-reports/observations/yesterday

Do you have a battery? If not I think it could be a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭okmqaz42

Not yet, next on the list is an EV car and eventually a battery but that could be next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

Total for October 373kw

Best 1st 26kw

Worst 13th 4kw

Import 186kw

Export 23kw

Consumed 544kw

EV 60kw

Self use rate 94%

Starting to see shading on the 4kw string on my shed due to low sun 😥

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,221 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I think next on the list is explaining why your Eddi is called "the horse".

Advertisement