Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking at a house which has a timber extension. How long could it last?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

That may be, but I think as it is, that extension is most unlikely to be compliant with building regs and in order to achieve compliance it would probably, realistically have to be reconstructed from the ground up.

Edit: from below the ground up! Given the likely amateur handyman job that this was, it's probable that the floor and foundations (if any) are wholly substandard.

Just because there is no outward signs of damp isn't good enough to say it's all fine and grand. It may well be a fire hazard and for all we know could be riddled with dry rot beneath the surface.

Even if its insulated it's most unlikely that the u values are part L compliant.

There is a reason the asking price is lower than average - the new owner must deal with this clusterf*ck of an extension.

As I said before, it's difficult enough add it is to get reputable builders and contractors to build things in accordance with specifications and building standards......what chance have you got with fly by night handymen doing it as a nixer?

Fair point but how do you know that it wasn't built to standards without seeing it?

Also, it's not below asking. It's going above that now but the area is very good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

Well you are right, i don't know for certain, nobody can. I am merely surmising that based on my experience of working in the construction field and being involved in housing inspections in a prior job, if I were faced with something like what is in the picture, the likelyhood would be that it would be a cobbled together "sure it'll be grand" job.

I may be wrong, but when you've reviewed inspections of 800-1000 houses a year before, you tend to get a good gut feel for things.

I could of course be surprised by this and find out that it is all actually fully compliant. However, I certainly wouldn't be betting on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Well you are right, i don't know for certain, nobody can. I am merely surmising that based on my experience of working in the construction field and being involved in housing inspections in a prior job, if I were faced with something like what is in the picture, the likelyhood would be that it would be a cobbled together "sure it'll be grand" Jon.

I may be wrong, but when you've reviewed inspections of 800-1000 houses a year before, you tend to get a good gut feel for things.

I could of course be surprised by this and find out that it is all actually fully compliant. However, I certainly wouldn't be betting on it.

Thanks for your input!

I've had a local builder look at it in person and someone also in the construction sector give an opinion on the picture. However my offer will be fully conditional on the cert of compliance and full survey. I've been searching a while and really like the area so I hope it's a rare one that is compliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

No bother.

Best of luck getting a valid cert of compliance for it. tbh i wouldn't get my hopes up about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Askthe EA

I'd love an update OP. How did you get on with it?

• Advertisement
Advertisement