Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boardsies Best Song of the 70s - Live Thread

Options

Comments

#17 - Space Oddity - I do like A Message to Rudy but "Ground Control to Major Tom" is too iconic to go out this soon

#18 - Van the Man, simply because AC/DC wreck my head

#19 - Lust for Life, delighted someone nominated this, almost did myself

#20 - Pass, not generally a fan of Elton and I don't think I know that Thin Lizzy one.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Match 9: Dobie Gray 1 - 6 Donna Summer[/B]
    Match 10:
    Slade 3 - 6 Abba
    Match 11: Kansas 1 - 6 Blue Oyster Cult
    Match 12: B52s Rock Lobster 5 - 2 Free - All Right Now

Match 13: Lynard Skynard 6 - 1 Don McClean
    Match 14: Black Sabbath 6 - 1 Neil Young
    Match 15: Blondie 6 - 2 Rose Royce
    Match 16 Joan Armatrading - Love and Affection 3 - 4 Everybody Dance - Chic

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,283 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Match 16 Joan Armatrading - Love and Understanding 3 - 4 Everybody Dance - Chic

Love and Affection ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,009 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Match 9: Dobie Gray 1 - 6 Donna Summer[/B]
    Match 10:
    Slade 3 - 6 Abba
    Match 11: Kansas 1 - 6 Blue Oyster Cult
    Match 12: B52s Rock Lobster 5 - 2 Free - All Right Now

Match 13: Lynard Skynard 6 - 1 Don McClean
    Match 14: Black Sabbath 6 - 1 Neil Young
    Match 15: Blondie 6 - 2 Rose Royce
    Match 16 Joan Armatrading - Love and Understanding 3 - 4 Everybody Dance - Chic

I would be happy with any of those four remaining songs going through.

EDIT: Match 16 is now: Joan Armatrading - Love and Understanding 4- 4 Everybody Dance - Chic

Zaph wrote: »
    Love and Affection ;)

Definitely time to call it a night!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭EEFGGFEDCCDEED

17. David Bowie
    18. Van Morrison
    19. Boston
    20. Elton John

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

EDIT: Match 16 is now: Joan Armatrading - Love and Understanding 4- 4 Everybody Dance - Chic

No it isn't. I think Zaph was just correcting the name not voting. Still 4-3 to Chic, so really need 2 more people to vote for Chic.

No it isn't. I think Zaph was just correcting the name not voting. Still 4-3 to Chic, so really need 2 more people to vote for Chic.

Whoops, you're right! So, Match 16: Chic need 2 as you say, and JA needs 3. As we're on the subject, Match 12: The B52s need one more vote and Free need 4 more votes to win!

According to my calculations, Elton John and Thin Lizzy (Match 20) are the only ones left from the last four matches, with 4 votes for Elton (2 required) and 1 for Thin Lizzy (mine!, 5 required).

Match 17: David Bowie - Space Oddity 6 - 2 A Message to You Rudy - The Specials
    Match 18: Van Morrison Jackie Wilson Said 6 - 1 AC/DC Jailbreak
    Match 19: Lust for Life - Iggy Pop 6 - 2 Boston - More Than a Feeling

Outstanding:

Match 12: B52s - Rock Lobster 5 - 2 Free - All Right Now
    Match 14: Joan Armatrading - Love and Affection 4 - 4 Chic - Everybody Dance
    Match 20: Elton John - Tiny Dancer 4 - 1 Thin Lizzy - Don't Believe a Word

I'll call these tomorrow if they haven't had any more votes by the time I start up again

Night rainbowtrout thanks for running this!

• Advertisement

Outstanding:

Match 14: Joan Armatrading - Love and Affection 3 - 4 Chic - Everybody Dance

I'll call these tomorrow if they haven't had any more votes by the time I start up again

Sorry that was my fault, due to my misreading of a post. Joan got 3, not 4 so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Outstanding:

Match 14: Joan Armatrading - Love and Affection 4 - 4 Chic - Everybody Dance
    /QUOTE]

B52s
    Chic
    And again, two classic songs up against each other early. I nominated Thin Lizzy, so they get my vote

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Sheridan81

Chic-Everybody Dance
    Thin Lizzy-Don't Believe A Word

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Thin Lizzy! Why are people voting against it like maniacs?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,372 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

\0/ My Black Sabbath nomination got through.

:( AC/DC didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭lassykk

Well that clears up the question of who else nominated Dream On. Good taste dear sir! :D

Me too!

My nominations

Match 1 - Have you Ever Seen the Rain

Have you ever seen the rain was my nomination based on the cover I heard Corey Taylor do of - I'd never heard the song before that

Match 3 - Aerosmith - Dream On - Seems to have been a popular nomination but got whitewashed :( - I absolutely hated the Eminem song that sampled the tune from Dream On - I remember in my teens playing an Aerosmith CD to a load of Eminem fanboys and telling them he couldn't even compose his own music

Very disappointed both went out but Hotel California was always going to be hard to beat in Match 1

Match 11 - Kansas - Dust in the Wind - Surprised this was beaten so heavily but Don't Fear the Reaper is a quality tune too

Match 19 - Boston - More than a feeling - Again badly beaten

Clearly I can't pick a decent 70s tune!

Sadly I won't be able to vote in any of the future rounds as I'm not online after 9pm but I'll keep an eye out every morning to see who did well!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Good morning everyone!
    I missed all the action again, my schedule is all over the place at the moment.

For the outstanding ones:
    Match 12: The B-52's (one of my nominations and one of my favourite songs and bands ever!!)
    Match 14: Joan Armatrading (There is something about her voice that really locks me in the music)
    Match 20: Elton John (Like the song more than the Thin Lizzy one)

Regarding Space Oddity: is it correct to be in the 70s? - I always thought that it was released in 1969 around the moon landing. Did it only chart later?

Necro wrote: »
    Thin Lizzy! Why are people voting against it like maniacs?

Hey Necro, for me it is simply down to the fact that I'm not Irish (I am from Greece) and when I was growing up their music didn't have the exposure of other bands of the era - so I don't have a close connection to their music.
    Having said that, there are 1-2 songs that, depending on the competition I would vote for.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Irish Aris wrote: »
    Hey Necro, for me it is simply down to the fact that I'm not Irish (I am from Greece) and when I was growing up their music didn't have the exposure of other bands of the era - so I don't have a close connection to their music.
    Having said that, there are 1-2 songs that, depending on the competition I would vote for.

That's fine, you get a pass :D

• Advertisement

lassykk wrote: »
    My nominations

Match 1 - Have you Ever Seen the Rain

Have you ever seen the rain was my nomination based on the cover I heard Corey Taylor do of - I'd never heard the song before that

Match 3 - Aerosmith - Dream On - Seems to have been a popular nomination but got whitewashed :( - I absolutely hated the Eminem song that sampled the tune from Dream On - I remember in my teens playing an Aerosmith CD to a load of Eminem fanboys and telling them he couldn't even compose his own music

Very disappointed both went out but Hotel California was always going to be hard to beat in Match 1

Match 11 - Kansas - Dust in the Wind - Surprised this was beaten so heavily but Don't Fear the Reaper is a quality tune too

Match 19 - Boston - More than a feeling - Again badly beaten

Clearly I can't pick a decent 70s tune!

Sadly I won't be able to vote in any of the future rounds as I'm not online after 9pm but I'll keep an eye out every morning to see who did well!

There will be some voting this evening. I’ll be back in for a little while after 4, and probably after 6 again

Match 12: B52s 6- 1 Free
    Match 16: Joan Armatrading 4 - 6 Chic

Just Match 20 left

Elton John 5 - 4 Thin Lizzy

Necro wrote: »
    That's fine, you get a pass :D

Nd I’m from Peckham, innit. Where’s my pass?

There will be some voting this evening. I’ll be back in for a little while after 4, and probably after 6 again

It's no problem at all. It's a big commitment to run this at all so I wasn't complaining!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

lassykk wrote: »
    It's no problem at all. It's a big commitment to run this at all so I wasn't complaining!

While you're waiting, why not submit some nominations to the newly minted Ultimate Ice Cream/Pop Tournament?

Omackeral wrote: »
    While you're waiting, why not submit some nominations to the newly minted Ultimate Ice Cream/Pop Tournament?

I missed all of the other food tournaments so I'll send in my nominations.

I love the dedication to these tournaments in this forum!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Irish Aris wrote: »
    Good morning everyone!
    I missed all the action again, my schedule is all over the place at the moment.

For the outstanding ones:
    Match 12: The B-52's (one of my nominations and one of my favourite songs and bands ever!!)
    Match 14: Joan Armatrading (There is something about her voice that really locks me in the music)
    Match 20: Elton John (Like the song more than the Thin Lizzy one)

Regarding Space Oddity: is it correct to be in the 70s? - I always thought that it was released in 1969 around the moon landing. Did it only chart later?

One of my nominations, yeah was released in 1969 but I just went through a list of Wiki number1s from the 1970's and picked it because
    380 David Bowie "Space Oddity" 8 November 1975 2

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_UK_Singles_Chart_number_ones_of_the_1970s

Spook_ie wrote: »
    One of my nominations, yeah was released in 1969 but I just went through a list of Wiki number1s from the 1970's and picked it because

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_UK_Singles_Chart_number_ones_of_the_1970s

ah, cool, cheers - maybe it was never released a single initially :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭Reberetta

Thin Lizzy Don't Believe A Word

• Advertisement

Match 21 Heart of Gold - Neil Young v Children of the Revolution - T.Rex

v

Match 22 Roadhouse Blues - The Doors v Moondance - Van Morrison

v

Match 23 Walk This Way - Aerosmith v Heroes - David Bowie

v

Match 24 We've Got Tonight - Bob Seger v Cars - Gary Numan

v