Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it possible to avoid illegal drug use?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Arrival

Graces7 wrote: »
    Oh I did not know that taking illegal drugs cured serious illnesses? I have chronic pain that is well under control with prescription meds whose purity and safety I can trust. As I am sure you knew already. lol!

Can you actually try to comprehend posts before replying to them? It's really not difficult. I didn't say anything about cannabis curing serious illnesses, I said it's known to be beneficial for pain management. It's played a large part in the reduction of people addicted to and relying on opiates in the US. It's quite sad that you can't put aside the legality of a substance and actually consider its potential positives, really shows a lack of critical thinking skills. But then your generation suffers hugely with that issue, it's why Ireland still has a strong parochial mindset and is slow to progress with social issues lol

Here's a great example of cannabis helping someone:

pablo128 wrote: »
    Certain extracts from cannabis can be beneficial for certain conditions, such as controlling seizures. These extracts are not necessarily the phsycoactive parts of the drug, so it's not a case of getting stoned and curing seizures at the same time.

This is why you hear of medicinal cannabis use.

Stop it with the facts and reasoning
    I have a shaking "disorder" (physical, not mental) which western medicine nowadays suggests two possible treatments. Beta blockers which would turn me into a vegetable, and a surgical procedure to place a pump at the top of my spine, but connected to the brain. Both treatments have a very low success rate, and the surgery is also extremely dangerous. When I first got the disorder at 13 (29 years ago), they didn't have a clue, and tried a huge variety of drug dosages often with very painful side-effects. There are other experimental treatments, but honestly, they're often dodgy in the extreme.

My shaking disorder receives very little research because it's non-fatal, but it is degenerative. In that my shakes will progressively increase as I get older.. And there's strong links to it leading to Parkinson's disease in later years. It's also quite rare. For some people the shakes are limited to their hands, or the position of their heads. Mine is more rare, in that it affects my whole body. For example, I can't carry a bowl of hot soup without spilling most of it, and even with two hands, I'm likely to spill a full pint at the bar. I also get the occasional spasm which can jerk my arms, or legs, which makes driving a dubious event.

Cannabis is one of the few drugs that can help reduce the shakes. Don't get me wrong. I do smoke cannabis because I enjoy the buzz, but I also do it because of the effect on my shakes. However.... it is illegal and so, I can't have a regular supply, and have to make do with enduring the shakes (yes, I've checked with doctors for medical grade cannabis, but my disorder doesn't qualify for it). As such, I only smoke cannabis a few times a year, and generally prior to special events to reduce my shakes for a few hours.

I've lived all my adult life with this shaking disorder. It's part of my life and personality now... but it's definitely not easy to deal with. Especially, as I can see it getting worse each year.

There are many posters here who have a very narrow perspective about drugs. It's not all about getting fcuked up. (I prefer LSD or Shrooms for that :D)

Sad to hear about your condition but it's great you've at least tried and found something that helps. Sadly we're too thick a country to speed up the inevitable availability of medicinal cannabis so people suffering like you can experience some more semblance of normality soon. But at least things are progressing nicely towards its being available in other countries so eventually we'll follow on like the good little sheep we are. In the meantime, have you tried any of the CBD products available? I know they're not proper CBD since they're made from hemp but supposedly some of them can still be very good

Arrival wrote: »
    Sad to hear about your condition but it's great you've at least tried and found something that helps. Sadly we're too thick a country to speed up the inevitable availability of medicinal cannabis so people suffering like you can experience some more semblance of normality soon. But at least things are progressing nicely towards its being available in other countries so eventually we'll follow on like the good little sheep we are. In the meantime, have you tried any of the CBD products available? I know they're not proper CBD since they're made from hemp but supposedly some of them can still be very good

Nah, I got on with life. I live in China right now, which has a zero tolerance on anything drug related. I'll be back in Europe for living after another year, so I'll probably settle in Spain or another country with more "enlightened" drug policies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Arrival

Nah, I got on with life. I live in China right now, which has a zero tolerance on anything drug related. I'll be back in Europe for living after another year, so I'll probably settle in Spain or another country with more "enlightened" drug policies.

Fair play, you seem to have a good attitude and approach to it. Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,078 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Try wading knee deep down OConnell street in them. They are dirty, eyesores, smelly and a danger to themselves and other people. That film "Adam and Paul" gives great insight to the Junkie mindset.

And you think it's Ecstasy or weed these people are on? :D

Prescription drugs kill far more people every year than any illegal drug.

There are differences between each drug and dismissing everything in one fell swoop is foolish in the extreme.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,182 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

You mean like those Chinese bath salts and plant food from head shops made by budget industrial chemists in China? Pass.

fúck no.

more like Valium, Oxycontin, whatever you can get your hands on...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

Liam O wrote: »
    And you think it's Ecstasy or weed these people are on? :D

Prescription drugs kill far more people every year than any illegal drug.

There are differences between each drug and dismissing everything in one fell swoop is foolish in the extreme.

Exactly.

Ridiculous to compare heroin junkies with people who smoke weed the odd time to relax or do a few lines of coke on a night out.

I know loads of people with well paid, professional jobs who take illegal drugs every now and then.

You can do drugs and not be an addict the same way you can drink alcohol and not be an addict.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

yeah but when you dementia at 60 and cant remember if it is Monday or March, then it matters.

Yeah cuz that's what happens. You probably still write letters to Santy telling him how much of a good boy you've been all year.

Btw there are usually at least a couple of Mondays in every March so it could easily be both!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

Andrew00 wrote: »
    Just don't take drugs . Have a few pints of Guinness and enjoy the craic

Direct contradiction in this statement right here.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

KiKi III wrote: »
    Most of my friends from down home have never even smoked weed.

They go pretty hard on the booze though.

so that's a no then

Andrew00 wrote: »
    Just don't take drugs. Have a few pints of Guinness and enjoy the craic

Guinness is a mind and mood altering drug

• Advertisement

Never touched any form of illegal drugs in my life.

Drink was enough for me when was younger I dont feel I missed out on anything.

something tells me your attitude might change if alcohol was prohibited tomorrow

What is the definition of true love?
    Two Junkies sh1tting the bed

huh?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,044 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

pure.conya wrote: »
    something tells me your attitude might change if alcohol was prohibited tomorrow

"BAN ALL DRUGS - except the ones i use. Those ones are ok...."

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

yeah but when you dementia at 60 and cant remember if it is Monday or March, then it matters.

cannabis improves the lives of even incommunicado dementia patients

https://www.forbes.com/sites/abbierosner/2019/03/04/new-medical-cannabis-research-from-israel-older-adults-dementia-and-dialysis/#677966f93660

You mean like those Chinese bath salts and plant food from head shops made by budget industrial chemists in China? Pass.

no they're illegal, you really don't know what you're talking about at all do you

I was offered drugs once; cannot remember what. Cannabis? Something illegal anyways NB I am an old lady who walks with a stick and sometimes clearly in pain,

It was at a street market in Dunmanway. A couple who told me it would ease my [pain better than codeine which they said is addictive.. they only backed off when I reminded them that it was illegal

It must be so easy to get caught up in it; I have severe chronic pain

Must be so easy to get caught up.

cannabis is a winner drug for those suffering from chronic pain, the most severe side effects of cannabis are the munchies or needing to lie down for a nap

meanwhile codeines side effects are
    Bloating
    blurred vision
    chills
    cold, clammy skin
    confusion
    constipation
    darkened urine
    difficult or troubled breathing
    dizziness
    dizziness, faintness, or lightheadedness when getting up suddenly from a lying or sitting position
    fainting
    fast, irregular, pounding, or racing heartbeat or pulse
    fast, weak pulse
    feeling of warmth
    fever
    indigestion
    irregular, fast or slow, or shallow breathing
    lightheadedness
    loss of appetite
    nausea
    no blood pressure or pulse
    no breathing
    pains in the stomach, side, or abdomen, possibly radiating to the back
    pale or blue lips, fingernails, or skin
    redness of the face, neck, arms, and occasionally, upper chest
    stopping of the heart
    sweating
    unconsciousness
    unusual tiredness or weakness
    vomiting
    yellow eyes or skin

Try wading knee deep down OConnell street in them. They are dirty, eyesores, smelly and a danger to themselves and other people. That film "Adam and Paul" gives great insight to the Junkie mindset.

now I know you're defo trolling here

As I said very clearly it is illegal. Period. End of..

being gay was illegal not that long ago

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Hoop66

tdf7187 wrote: »
    I myself became addicted to Toblerone during a dark period in my life. At my worst, I ballooned to up to 14 stone, which is 11.3% above my optimum BMI.

You didn't drive to Dundee in your bare feet did you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭con___manx1

Its much easier to avoid drugs if you are having other hobbies.
    There are two people that get involved in drugs:
    People who have all the comforts in their life and they get involved out of boredom.
    Then there are the people who are slipping into poverty and they get involved to escape the boredom.
    What about the people who suffer with depression or the loss of a loved one. It's very easy to go on that road as an escape. It's the very same with drink.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

... still kept the mushrooms weed and what not... Now a few of them are coming out as Bi-polar and other mental health problems....

That has always been a chicken and egg question for me. Booze included.

Why? I have no desire and no need. Period.

You wreck your head if you want to but no way will I .
    Even were they legal. no way. I am with the times ; read this thread

OK?
    OK!

And the mentality of trying to sell junk to an old lady like that! REALLY!

"junk" that works though, it's you that's got the totally wrong attitude in this scenario

just look at what it can do immediately for severe ms sufferers

https://binged.it/2U0fh7O

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Oh I did not know that taking illegal drugs cured serious illnesses? I have chronic pain that is well under control with prescription meds whose purity and safety I can trust. As I am sure you knew already. lol!

Trust? Purity? You're having a laugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

What about the people who suffer with depression or the loss of a loved one. It's very easy to go on that road as an escape. It's the very same with drink.

That is similar, nothing positive or constructive to occupy the mind to escape so something else moves in.

safety eh? https://www.statista.com/statistics/611237/cocaine-deaths-us-number/

mayve you don't realise that cannabis has never killed 1 person, ever

no they're illegal, you really don't know what you're talking about at all do you

yes but they were unregulated before they copped on. I am always fascinated why junkies go to great lengths to pursue danger chemicals.

safety eh? https://www.statista.com/statistics/611237/cocaine-deaths-us-number/

mayve you don't realise that cannabis has never killed 1 person, ever

Its a gateway drug. No junkie ever woke up one morning and said "lets start heroin". Its always the smoke that leads to the pill that leads to needle. You can monitor their progress like rats. There are no old timer junkies

Hoboo wrote: »
    Trust? Purity? You're having a laugh.

Highly regulated industry. try working in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

cannabis is a winner drug for those suffering from chronic pain, the most severe side effects of cannabis are the munchies or needing to lie down for a nap

Or psychosis.

• Advertisement

being gay was illegal not that long ago

different arguement

Advertisement